Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Seeing In The Darkness ❯ Between Life and Death ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Seeing in the Darkness”
 
Ch. 1 - Between Life and Death
A tale told by K.S.
 
 
Moon: Yeah, so here is the first chapter of my YYH character's story, though it's really crappy D ; I'll end up editing it soon, I just need to get together with my friend whose character has a place in this story ^^ So yeah, hope you like it, despite the utter bad quality of it.
 
 
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
 
 
A soft voice, like that of a whisper of the wind, spoke out against the darkness.
 
“Hello? Is… is anybody there?”
 
Nothing answered the call, nothing but the soft surrounding darkness, which wound itself around the caller.
 
Moonlight shone through a shattered window, the edges sparkling in the soft light. The room within was a mess; quite literally. Tables and chairs, strewn about and broken, good china lay in a shattered mess on the floor, pieces everywhere. All was quiet and still, not a breath was made. It seemed the house was abandoned, recently or late no one could really tell. That was… It seemed abandoned. But that was before a soft cry came from a corner, the voice of a young child permeating throughout the household.
 
“Ma-mama?” Nothing.
 
“B-big brother-r?” Once again, silence met the plea.
 
Then, almost reluctantly, “P…papa?”
 
To whisper the name of the beast that destroyed the child's life just hours ago seemed like a sin. Like even the word would taint any who said or thought it. That the word might turn cold on lips, and even colder in hearts.
 
The child. Female, would be the guess. Her tousled hair, the same color of the moon, lay about her, blood mixed around in it, clumping it together. Her eyes, oh her eyes, beautiful gems; sapphires. Tears had originally leaked from their depths, but were now dry. Numbness had set it after the shock, and now the child was just plain dull.
 
Her dress, which seemed to have just been a plain white, simple gown, was torn, cut and sullied with blood not her own. Or maybe it was hers? Who really knew, seeing as the body of her dead brother lay not five feet away, while her mother's was still clutching her; trying to protect her, one long gash running from shoulder to hip, tissue and muscle just barely holding the body in one piece.
 
Who would do such an unspeakable crime? To murder a happy family, right in front of the youngest child, yet let said child to live? …Oh, that's right, her father.
 
The man who had helped spawn her, the man who loved her and even started to teach her how to use her awakening powers of fire. Such a man, such a vile, cruel man. The child looked down to her mother, tears once again filling her eyes. She clutched at the corpse that was once her mother, and gave way to thick tears, hiccups coming out after short gasps of breaths.
 
“M-muma…! M-muma, wake up…! Wake up, M-uhma, pl-please, M-muma!” She started to hysterically shake the body, sobs making it hard to speak. She went quiet then, rocking back and forth, burrowing her head in her mother's neck.
 
“Ma-mama… Mama!!”
 
One last sob, one last tear, one last breath.
 
And then, the darkness claimed her.
 

 
“MAMA!”
 
A small body sat straight up, her body heaving with deep breaths. Tears once again leaked down her cheeks, while her body shook slightly with her breaths. She pushed the covers of the bed she was laying on, off of her body, the heat too much at the moment. Her right arm was bandaged from fingers to her shoulder. She looked at them, a question on her lips.
 
`Where did these come from?' She looked at the rest of her body, dressed in a simple, thin white dress that cut before her knees and thin straps that adorned her small shoulders. Her left hand was bandaged the same, as was her left ankle. She lifted a small hand to her forehead and felt the gauzy clothe around her forehead. She brought her fingers back down and then stared when the tips were tinted red. She lifted the other hand and did the same, with the same result coming as before.
 
Blood.
 
She was bleeding from her temple, which meant she had reopened the wound that was there that she didn't recall getting.
 
She tried to ignore it, a slight sting coming after awhile. She finally looked around at her surroundings, finding them not to be what they were before she passed out. A simple, craggy walls of rock, while the only source of light was the half-burnt out candle beside her on a table. She slowly swung her legs from under the covers, which happened to be soft furs, and touch the floor experimentally with her toes. The coolness radiating from the rock felt like heaven, and she slid the rest of the way off the bed, cheek pressed against the cool stone.
 
She felt so hot, like a fire was burning her insides, but the rock provided a short-time cure, and allowed her to recall anything that might of led her to this place.
 
She was tracing back her night, dinner with Mama and Papa, Astaroth coming in, saying he was sorry for being late. Then…
 
Something wet slid down her cheek, leaving a cool trail behind it. More came after, as the young girl realized her family was actually, truly, dead. The sobs wracked her body violently, the crying giving a burst of pain between her eyes, as a headache fully bloomed.
 
“It… it hurts…” she sniffed, the comment pointless when no one was there to hear it. Still, she couldn't help but whine, she was only a child after all.
 
She couldn't tell time, only by looking at the candle from time to time could she guess. A minute, 10 minutes, 30? An hour? Two? Who knows, but she was comfortable against her stone bed, the coolness had helped her headache.
 
But now, the coolness was too cool, and shivers started to shake her body unconsciously. She tried to stop them as best she could, the vapid yet subtle movements of her limps tiresome.
 
“Hey, are you shivering?”
 
She slowly regained control of herself, and tried to force herself to stop shivering.
 
“Wanna know how to stop it?”
 
She nodded her head to the voice inside it, not taking in that it was her brother's.
 
“Just relax. That's it, calm yourself down, gain back hold over your body…”
 
She did so, her quivers slowing and then finally coming to a halt. It was a nice relieve, but it took work. It seemed like such a hard thing to do, to will herself to stop moving, and surly it was for one so young. In time, she gave up control, and let the shakes move her body, it was easier that way anyways.
 
The last time she looked at the candle, it was maybe an inch before the base, now it wasn't even half of that. The flame flickered once, twice, triple before going out completely and submerging her in darkness once again.
 
She squeezed her eyes shut, fear creeping back into her bones. She was all alone and now her only source of comfort had gone out, just like she feared she might do if someone didn't come soon.
 
Something warm dripped from her eyebrow, and slid down her eye, smothering the vision in that eye momentarily. It didn't matter anyway, you couldn't see in this pitch blackness.
 
More liquid dripped down, then past her eye and onto her cheek to the corner of her mouth where she could taste it.
 
Coppery, sweet but with that ever evident metallic tang that could only mean one thing.
 
Blood.
 
Her wound had once again opened, probably from her straining her sight, and now the blood dripped down once again, soft drips of the liquid splashing against the stone floor.
 
Thing only thing coherent in the deep recess of her mind, through the haze and weakness of blood loss was, `Dear lord, is anybody here?'
 
And the last thing she knew was, the world fading in and out. The coldness from beneath her coming and leaving, a light appearing and disappearing from the doorway. And then at last, she passed out, the feeling of a cool hand pressed to her forehead, another arm holding her small frame.
 
`Is this my savior?'
 
 
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
 
 
Moon: So how did you like it? Good, bad? Iffy? Hmm, I know that it needs a TON more detail, and yes, the fact that you never read her name is the way it's supposed to be. Kudos for those who guess who just came to check on her. ^^ If not, you'll find out next chapter. Anyways, I'm trying to think of a different name for her, as in her real name, the one her mother gave her. Since I've decided that Keysoto is the name Yoko will come up with for her. So I need a name that suits her, something that maybe relates to snow or ice? Hmm >.> I dunno, anyways, that's enough for my ramblings here. I'll try and work on the next chapter today, if I can.
 
Later~