Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Silence of the Heart ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Silence of the Heart
 
By: Koritsune Dragonrider & Cece Williams
 
((Disclaimer: Cece: Puh-lease! If I owned YYH, do you think I'd be writing fanfiction?
Kori: Plus, it takes too much time for a lawsuit.))
 
Warnings: Angst, Dark-fic, implied rape, R-NC-17 (hopefully)
 
Summery: When Andrea collapses in Kurama's doorstep, she carries a past secret of a friend and soon they have to go into another adventure to fix a wrong before Reikai is torn apart."
 
Chapter 1
 
Andrea walked down the dark streets of town, the rain dampening her reddish-brown hair to the roots and plastering it to her head. Her blue eyes, however, refused to blink as she walked with a .45 in her hand. Her once-perfect clothes were now almost rags, luckily able to not show anything that needed to be seen. Her breathing was shaky; not just from the rain, but also from what she had just done moments before. The cool rain seemed to make her bruises, which started from her face to her wrists, to appear darker. Her lower lip was bleeding and her left cheek had been cut. She didn't care where she was walking to; in fact, she didn't know.
 
Andrea's wobbly legs turned her body down another street... this time one that was familiar. However, in her mind, nothing was familiar anymore. Her hand with the gun was starting to shake as her legs almost gave way. She leaned against a tree for a minute before walking again. This time, her legs turned her down a walkway and stopped at the door.
 
Meanwhile, Kurama was sitting in the living room, watching a movie on the TV with the rain falling outside. The movie was starting to get interesting as the redhead's keen sense of hearing made him stand up. He shook his head as he headed to the door, figuring he'd let some cool air in the house. When he opened the door, much to his surprise, Andrea fell in the doorway and would've hit the floor if not for the fox's fast reflexes in catching her.
 
“Andrea?” he asked her as the rain-soaked girl blinked once before closing her eyes and letting her arms fall limp beside her. Picking Andrea up in his arms, he carried her inside while closing the door with his foot and up the stairs to his room, where he laid her on the bed. He went into the bathroom and, after gathering two towels, went back in his room to dry her off as best he could with her clothes, or what was left of them, still on. He took the second towel to her hair and dried it as dry as he could get.
 
Andrea started moving her head but didn't open her eyes as she started mumbling random things.
 
Kurama blinked, hearing but not comprehending. “I'm sorry,” he said, trying to figure out what Andrea was saying. “I cannot understand you.”
 
“Kurama'd look good in that dress, Mommy,” Andrea mumbled while still mumbling other random things as well.
 
Kurama raised an eyebrow in confusion as he picked up the phone and called Yusuke. The phone rang twice before he heard Yusuke's “'Ello?” “Yusuke, something's wrong with Andrea,” he said into the phone.
 
“Other than having goo-goo eyes every time she's around you?”
 
Kurama's voice turned from urgent to serious… very serious. “YUSUKE, THIS IS SERIOUS!!!!” he almost shouted into the phone.
 
Yusuke winced, pulling the phone from his ear. “Ow!! Hey, sorry!”
 
Kurama took a deep breath, composing himself. “Andrea's been injured, badly,” he said. “Get Kuwabara and Yukina over to my place as fast as you can.”
 
“Okay,” Yusuke said and hung up.
 
After a few minutes, Kurama had gone to the front door and opened it, revealing Yusuke with Kuwabara and Yukina.
 
Kuwabara looked at Kurama. “So, what's happened to her?” he asked, his voice concerned for the Tantei.
 
 
Kurama shrugged his shoulders. “I don't know,” he answered. “I only opened the door to let some air in, and Andrea collapsed in the doorway.” He ushered his friends inside.
 
“Say anything? Like, what happened?”
 
Kurama shook his head. “Not of what happened,” was the solemn answer. “Most of it I can't make out.”
 
Yusuke looked at the fox. “What about the other `most'?”
 
Kurama inwardly shuddered at the thought of telling them that Andrea said that he'd look good in a dress. “You don't want to know,” he answered.
 
Kuwabara looked at Yusuke, gave him a blank stare, and looked back at Kurama. “Other than that, is she okay?”
 
“She is asleep at the moment, yes,” Kurama replied, nodding.
 
Yukina fixed a worried ruby gaze against Kurama's emerald orbs. “May I see her?” she asked.
 
Kurama's crimson bangs swished in front of his eyes as he led his friends up the stairs. “Of course.” His mind drifted off back to when just a few minutes ago, Andrea had collapsed into his arms. Her clothes had turned almost into rags. Something had to have happened to her, but what? He hadn't sensed any demonic energy, so what was the cause?
 
When he and his friends had reached Kurama's room, they saw a tattered-clothed Andrea lying on Kurama's bed, her clothes almost sticking to her body, her wet hair looking darker than usual. As they walked in, however, Andrea was now mumbling something about Koenma in a tutu, which left Yukina very confused.
 
Kuwabara raised an eyebrow at what he had heard. “Uh, what's she talking about?” he asked.
 
Kurama had no idea. “You don't want to know.” He moved out of the way to let Yukina by.
 
The ice maiden checked Andrea's injuries. “From the state of her wounds, I'd say she was abused,” she made her discovery.
 
Kuwabara blinked. “What? But she was just fine a few hours ago,” he protested.
 
“Injuries such as these can happen within a few minutes, if the person was angered enough.” After she had said those words, Andrea had suddenly stopped mumbling altogether, which caused Kurama to look at the bruised girl lying on his bed. Yukina looked at Kurama, worried that something had happened to her. “Should I try healing her?” she asked him.
 
Kurama nodded. “All right.”
 
But just as soon as Yukina placed her hands on Andrea gently, Andrea suddenly screamed at the top of her lungs, which made Kurama cover his ears.
 
“Yukina, back off,” Yusuke said and the ice maiden let go of Andrea, who now stopped screaming. “Whoa, that girl's got some lungs.”
 
Kurama agreed, uncovering his ears from the brutal screaming. “Yes, she does,” he answered, now wishing for an aspirin.
 
Kuwabara nodded; Andrea's scream was almost deafening. “No kidding, but why'd she scream?” he asked. “She knows it's only us.”
 
Yukina's eyes revealed a worried look. “I read somewhere that abuse victims can become violent if they're touched.” Her voice held a distinct concern for the girl on the bed.
 
Kuwabara looked at Andrea on the bed, and as Kurama asked him what was the matter, he nodded his head at Andrea, who had now drawn herself in a fetal position.
 
Yukina looked at the team, her ruby eyes wishing that there were something more she could do. “She needs more than my help,” she announced to them. “She needs a doctor.”
 
Yusuke blinked his chocolate colored eyes. “Wait, doesn't Andrea hate doctors?” he asked the group.
 
Kuwabara scratched his head. “I thought that was hospitals.”
 
“It's both, I believe,” Kurama answered them. “But I'm afraid Yukina's right; she needs a doctor.”
 
At that moment, Andrea looked at them and shook her head rapidly.
 
“I'm taking that as a `no',” Yusuke said as Andrea blinked at them.
 
“Well, I can't keep her here, I'm afraid,” Kurama said to them. “Mother would surely notice her.”
 
“But if you try to pick her up, she'll make you lose your hearing,” Kuwabara gave his input.
 
“Coax her out?” Yusuke suggested.
 
“In the rain?” Kuwabara said to him.
 
“You have a better idea?” The bickering between Kuwabara and Yusuke was making Andrea tighten herself in her fetal position.
 
Kuwabara got into Yusuke's face. “Do YOU?” he countered at the same time as Kurama stepped in before any blows were dealt.
 
“Please,” the redhead said to the bickering duo in a calm voice. “Right now, we have to figure out how to help Andrea, not bicker over ideas.”
 
As Andrea backed herself into the wall, Yukina looked into Andrea's wide blue eyes. She looked like a fox caught in a bear trap. The ice maiden sat down on the bed. “Andrea?” she said, seeing said girl rearing back against the wall. “It's me, Yukina. I only wish to help you.”
 
Andrea blinked as her hand started to curve defensively. She didn't want anyone to get closer to her and was about to lash out at the next person around.
 
“You know me, remember?” She was trying to calm Andrea down, even though she didn't look very calm. “I won't hurt you, I promise.”
 
Andrea's hand relaxed but as soon as she curved it, Yukina had held out her hand to her. Andrea reached out slowly as Yukina gently held her shaking hand, leaving enough pressure as not to shock her any more than she was.
 
Yukina smiled sweetly at the shaking girl. “It'll be okay,” she said, but as Andrea looked at the bruises on her arms, she felt Andrea's hand recoil back. “Someone, get a coat.”
 
Kuwabara shrugged off his own coat and shook any excess water from it before handing it to Yukina, who had placed it on Andrea's shoulders to cover the bruises.
 
The coat, at first, felt cold, which made Andrea shiver slightly and close her eyes. After a second, she stopped shivering, as she was getting a little more comfortable.
 
“Come on, Andrea. We'll take you someplace safe. It'll be fine,” Yukina said to the girl on the bed.
 
As Andrea opened one eye and nodded her head, Yukina held out her hand again. The abused girl's fingers moved shakily, almost as if she were scared, as Yukina gently took her hand.
 
Seeing that Andrea knew that she was around her friends, Kuwabara took a deep breath. At least she wasn't attacking anyone at the moment. “Well, that part was easy. Question is, who's picking her up?”
 
Yukina looked at the team, worried about Andrea's emotional state at the moment. “No one is,” she answered.
 
“Why not?” Yusuke asked the ice maiden.
 
Yukina set her crimson gaze on Yusuke. “I see this kind of thing all the time,” she explained. “With coaxing they can be lead to where they can be treated.” She looked back at Andrea, who had started to look around, blinking at everyone. “You're among friends, Andrea. You know us; we will not hurt you.” Yukina had looked down in time to see Andrea tap her fingers on the mattress, which made her blink. “What is it do you want, Andrea?” she asked her. “I'll try to help.”
 
As Andrea's fingers continued to tap on the mattress, Yusuke looked at everyone in the room. “Anyone know Morse Code?” he asked as the girl's fingers moved.
 
Kurama had looked at the rapidly moving fingers. “45,” he answered.
 
Kuwabara looked confused. What did that mean? “45?”
 
The kitsune shrugged his shoulders. “It's what she said,” he answered.
 
Yusuke looked at Kurama, mostly in shock. “You know code?”
 
“Yes, Yusuke. Morse code, calligraphy, sign language, I know almost all.” Kurama watched as Andrea continued to tap on the mattress. “Alley… attack… She was attacked in an alley.” Andrea's fingers continued to tap, and Kurama continued to read her finger taps. “No… choice… She had no choice.” He blinked. “No choice for what?”
 
Kuwabara looked at the girl's relaxed hand and closed-eyed figure and knew that she had fallen asleep.
 
Yusuke shook his head. “Something bad, that's for sure.”
 
Kuwabara scratched his head. “But what does 45, no choice, and alley attack all mean?” he asked.
 
Kurama shrugged. Without Andrea awake to give any more clues, they had very little to go on. They were now on their own. “I have no idea,” he answered.
 
Kuwabara looked out Kurama's bedroom window and saw the rain still falling to the ground. “Little too messy out there,” he said and had turned away before he heard sirens speeding past the house. He looked out the window. “Huh? What in the...”
 
Yusuke saw the flashes of light disappear from the window. “Sirens.”
 
“Any idea where they went to?”
 
“Nope. Wanna find out?”
 
Kuwabara nodded, looking at the sleeping Tantei. “Who's keeping an eye on her?” he asked.
 
Kurama nodded his head. “I will,” he answered.
 
“And I'll stay with her as well,” Yukina added.
 
After Yusuke and Kuwabara nodded, they raced out of the house and down the street.
 
“Wonder what made Andrea so scared,” Kuwabara wondered. “Maybe it was your singing, Urameshi.”
 
Yusuke socked him in the gut. “Shut up!”
 
Both boys saw the lights stop at an alley and started running towards the alley, seeing yellow tape near the entrance.
 
Kuwabara peered around the side of the alley and saw a body bag. “Oh, man,” he said as Yusuke peered around him and saw cameras flashing.
 
A woman of about 40 held a microphone to her mouth and pointed to her cameraman, who looked about college-aged. “This is Akiko Yamochi at the scene,” she started. “I am at an alley on Main Street where 45-year-old Ryou Kasahara was found murdered just a few minutes ago. No motive has been suspected yet and the chief assured me that he'd keep the media posted with any available evidence.”
 
Kuwabara looked at Yusuke and mouthed, “Murder?”
 
Yusuke gave Kuwabara a shocked look and mouthed, “45?”
 
A cop, a man around the age of 38, put a shiny object in a small plastic bag. “Looks like a shotgun casing here,” he said to his partners, who had combed the alley.
 
Yusuke turned and walked away from the alley. “What's going on?”
 
Kuwabara shrugged. “I don't know,” he answered.
 
“This sounds too much like what Andrea said.”
 
“Maybe someone saved her and killed him,” Kuwabara said to him.
 
Yusuke nodded. “Maybe, but Andrea knows the story. We'll follow it up on TV.”
 
“But she's not talking,” Kuwabara protested.
 
“We'll have to snap her out of it,” Yusuke said and raced back to the house, with Kuwabara following and not liking the sound of what he said.
 
When Yusuke and Kuwabara had returned back to Kurama's room, Yukina looked at them as they walked in. “Have you found out what it was?” she asked them.
 
Kuwabara nodded his head. “Some guy was killed in an alley,” he answered.
 
Kurama's interest was piqued. “Who?” he asked them. This could help with whatever was making Andrea curl up like a frightened kitten.
 
Kuwabara looked at them. “Some 45 year old guy, but they found a shell casing,” he answered.
 
“I think his name was Ryou Kasahara,” Yusuke added.
 
The name caused Andrea's eyes to open and for her to look around. She was now wide-awake, but this wasn't the type of waking up she had in mind.
 
“Do you know him, Andrea?” Yukina asked her.
 
Andrea could feel everyone's eyes on her, so she looked at the mattress.
 
“I think she does,” Yusuke said, walking to the bed. “And she needs to snap out of it.”
 
Yukina's ruby eyes widened, worried if he was going to do something to upset Andrea any more than she was. “Yusuke-san, what are you doing?” she asked him.
 
Yusuke had reached the bed by the time the question was asked. “Like I said, snapping her outta it!” he answered, grabbing Andrea's arm.
 
Kurama looked at Yusuke with the most composure he had. “Yusuke, don't harm her,” he said calmly.
 
“No worries, Kurama. I won't harm your girlfriend.”
 
Kurama sweatdropped. “We're not going out, Yusuke!”
 
Letting out another scream, Andrea popped Yusuke in the jaw with her fist, a little harder than she thought. Yusuke let go of her as soon as the fist connected with his jaw and landed on the floor. “Okay, that hurt.”
 
Kurama shook his head at Yusuke. “You had it coming,” he answered.
 
While Kuwabara tried not to laugh at Yusuke getting socked by an attacking Andrea, who had now reared back against the wall and hands curved defensively, Yusuke had now grabbed her wrists to keep from getting hurt further. “Come on, Andrea. Snap outta it already!” he shouted as Andrea now started to thrash at him defensively. “Andrea, you fought demons and you're gonna let a human scared your pants off? That's hardly the attitude of a Tantei.”
 
Standing by, Kuwabara shook his head. “Oh, boy…” I feel a smack in the face for that one... Almost as if she read his mind, Andrea kneed Yusuke between the legs and popped him in the mouth again. When he hit the ground, she glared harshly at him. Mm-hmm...
 
Yusuke got up and faced the girl's glare. It had to stop, and it had to be by him. “Don't think of me as a girl or anything...” With that, he slapped Andrea so hard that she hit the bed, bounced a couple of times, her hair covering her starting-to-turn-red face.
 
Kurama looked at Andrea in shock, and then at Yusuke, upset at what he had done. “Yusuke!”
 
Yukina gasped into her hands at the sight she saw in front of her, her crimson eyes wide in horror.
 
An angered Kuwabara clocked Yusuke upside his head. “Guys shouldn't hit girls, Urameshi!” he said to him, clocking him again for Andrea.
 
Yusuke held his face for a second. “She needs to snap out of it,” he said to the others. “She's been hurt, yes, but haven't we all. She's watched us come out of our battles half-dead and she's been okay. She needs to help us.”
 
Kuwabara crossed his arms, still angry at what Yusuke had done to Andrea. “And how do you think knocking her into next year's gonna help?”
 
“It's either that, or we could just continue watching her till next year!”
 
As Andrea began to tap rapidly on the mattress, Kurama looked at her. Oh, no, he thought. Now she's annoyed, and this is not going to bode well. He watched as Andrea sat up on the bed and gripping the mattress in her other hand. “You wouldn't understand all the hell I've been through. You really think I'm some tough, gung-ho Tantei? Well, you're wrong. There's a side of me that not even you can understand.”
 
Without waiting for an explanation, Andrea bolted out of the room and out the front door with a slam that could be heard from upstairs.
 
Kurama watched Andrea's figure speed out the door and heard the front door slam. He was right; it wasn't looking well. He looked at Yusuke. “Now, you've done it,” he said disdainfully.
 
TBC
 
((I guess Yusuke did something stupid! What happened to Andrea, and why can't she tell the team? What do the clues mean? Check out the next chapter.))
 
A/N: As you were told, this is co-written with Cece Williams, a wonderful and talented writer. She's a fan of yaoi like I am, but writes het stories. This gives me a chance to write one too, and use a character I had been meaning to write for a while.