Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Silence of the Heart ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Silence of the Heart
By: Koritsune Dragonrider and Cece Williams
 
 
((Disclaimer: We don't own YYH, but if I did, then I'd have Kurama… hmm, not a bad idea.
Kori: Hey! What about me?
Cece: Oh, yeah, and she'd get Hiei. We don't own the show. Sorry.))
 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
Last Chapter
 
As Andrea began to tap rapidly on the mattress, Kurama looked at her. Oh, no, he thought. Now she's annoyed, and this is not going to bode well. He watched as Andrea sat up on the bed and gripping the mattress in her other hand. “You wouldn't understand all the hell I've been through. You really think I'm some tough, gung-ho Tantei? Well, you're wrong. There's a side of me that not even you can understand.”
 
 Without waiting for an explanation, Andrea bolted out of the room and out the front door with a slam that could be heard from upstairs.
 
 Kurama watched Andrea's figure speed out the door and heard the front door slam. He was right; it wasn't looking well. He looked at Yusuke. “Now, you've done it,” he said disdainfully.
 
Now, on to Chapter 2
 
Yusuke looked at Kurama, who now looked steamed at what Yusuke had done to Andrea and made run off. “Oops,” he said, not really sorry.
 
Kuwabara clocked Yusuke in the face, mainly for what Yusuke had done. “I think you really set her off,” he said to the arrogant Tantei.
 
Yusuke rubbed his sore face. “OW!!! Okay! I admit, I made a mistake that time,” he pleaded.
 
“You better hope that she doesn't do anything really stupid.”
 
Yukina's crimson orbs were more worried about the abused girl and what could happen to her. “How will we find her now?” she asked the guys.
 
Kuwabara looked at Kurama. “Where does she usually go to calm down?”
 
Kurama shrugged his shoulders. There was no telling where Andrea could have gone off to, and he didn't have a clue. “I don't know.”
 
Meanwhile, Andrea tore down the streets, the rain masking the tears that stung her eyes, which had now become red-rimmed. Trying her best to cover her tattered clothing, she ran for her safest haven: her home.
 
She ran inside and closed the door, locking the locks behind her. Drying her eyes as best she could, she thought a nice hot shower would help her. Shaking uncontrollably, she walked to the bathroom, where she shed her rags and turned on the water to a lukewarm but not hot temperature. Turning on the shower, she stepped inside and lathered the soap all over her and started scrubbing with a brush, trying to wash off all the pain and hurt she was feeling. The more she scrubbed, the more she thought that it was still there. She scrubbed as hard as she could, not caring that her skin was turning red as a lobster.
 
She scrubbed harder as if trying to scrub off the cockroaches crawling all over her although there weren't any. The tears stung her cheeks as she continued scrubbing, trying to get the imaginary, though not to her, bugs off of her body. It felt like they were eating her skin, a thousand tiny scratchy feet crawling against her skin and under it. No matter how hard she scrubbed she couldn't get rid of the feeling.
 
She realized she had been scrubbing in the same place for ten minutes, the same part of her body where she felt violated. Sobbing uncontrollably, she sat down in the bathtub, feeling the warm water pulsate on her head and back.
 
“Damn it!” she screamed, her voice choked with anguished pain as she threw her soap against the shower wall. The soap fell in the tub, broken in ten pieces. Broken, just like her. Broken, just what she didn't want to be but was. Broken, like the soap she had just thrown. “If only I hadn't been walking tonight…” She gripped her hair in her hands, threatening to tear out her reddish-brown locks. “Why was I walking down that street? I should have gotten a cab back home! Why was I so stupid?”
 
Not really caring about how she looked, she got out of the shower and wrapped a towel around herself. She looked at the mirror and saw the disheveled mess in the reflection. Blinking her eyes, she looked again and saw her attacker's face.
 
“Aww, what are you crying about?” the reflection said to her trembling form. “You know you wanted it. You know you enjoyed it, didn't you, you little slut?”
 
Andrea's fist was shaking at her side, the tears staining her face once again. As she heard the reflection laugh at her, she screamed and rammed her fist into the mirror. The glass shards landed in the sink like dozens of icicles hitting the pavement in January. She looked down in the sink at the broken glass and looked at the dozens of reflections of herself, all broken and pitiful reflections of herself. Splotches and drops of blood now polka dotted the once perfectly white porcelain sink. What was wrong with her? How could this happen to her? She was a good girl! Only sluts and whores have this happen to her, so why her? Why now? Just when life was getting better? How did this happen?
 
Andrea looked at her hand. Deep red blood had already formed around her right knuckle, with some of the shards stuck in her hand. When she tried to move it, she blinked. Normally an injury like this would have her screaming, but tonight she was all screamed out. She then looked to the sink and picked up one of the shards as the blood from her injured hand dripped onto the glass.
 
“That's it,” she said to herself, a crazy look entering her red-rimmed blue eyes. “This is the only way to get rid of the pain.” A maniacal smile graced her lips. “And they'll never have to know.”
 
With that, Andrea threw the shard in the sink and went to her bedroom, getting another outfit, this time a black tee shirt and dark blue jeans. After pulling on her sandals and buckling them, she walked out the door and headed for the park… no. Kurama'd more likely find her there. The same crazy smile appeared on her face. She didn't care who found her, and as the rain poured down on her, the smile widened. Everything was going like she planned…
 
She stopped walking on a bridge and started giggling like a schoolgirl. She sat on top of the railing and laughed as the rain continued to show no mercy. The water from sitting down only made her laugh harder. It was the perfect plan, maybe perhaps the only plan she had… but it was still perfect.
 
In the meantime, the Tantei had dropped Yukina off at the temple and then headed for Reikai. As Yusuke walked in, Koenma was, as usual, stamping important papers on his desk. “Hey! Pacifier Prince, we've got a problem!” he shouted.
 
Koenma didn't look up, thinking that Yusuke was joking around. Little did he know that it wasn't a joke. “What is it this time, Yusuke?”
 
“Andrea.”
 
And with that one word, Koenma dropped his stamp and looked at Yusuke and the others. This wasn't a joke.
 
Kurama's emerald green eyes tried to hide the worry for her, but they were failing miserably. “She's been hurt and we don't know why,” he explained.
 
Koenma leaned back in his chair. He knew Andrea had been hurt, mainly emotionally when she found out how her parents really died. Somehow, she managed to get over that. “Andrea's been known to keep most of what happens to her inside,” he answered.
 
Kurama's eyes now held the visible signs of worry. “But this time's worse.”
 
Koenma sighed deeply. Surely things weren't that bad with Andrea. “How `worse' are we talking?” he asked them.
 
Kuwabara tried to remember, although it wasn't too hard, what had happened before Andrea had run off. “Well, if you tried to grab her, she'd scream pretty loud,” he answered. He looked at Yusuke. “And she kicked Urameshi in the jewels.”
 
Yusuke rubbed his sore face from where Andrea had clocked him. “And a right across the face before that.”
 
“Which you deserved.” When Kuwabara felt Yusuke clock him, Kuwabara popped him back. “That's for hitting her, Urameshi!”
 
Yusuke punched Kuwabara again. “That's for hitting me.”
 
Koenma's eyes widened. What did Kuwabara just say? “What about hitting her?” he asked, shock slowly entering his voice.
 
“Well, it seemed to work, to some extent.”
 
“Then she stormed off,” Kuwabara added in.
 
Kurama leaned against the desk, arms crossed against his chest. “So now you have the problem, Koenma,” the redhead finished.
 
Koenma looked at everyone. This was going to be tougher than he thought. “And she won't talk?
 
Yusuke shook his head. “Nope, she just tapped her fingers in a mantra, like Morse code. Next thing you know, she bolted out of there faster than my Spirit Gun.”
 
Koenma scratched his head. Something had to have happened to Andrea in order for her to become unlike herself. “Andrea's a tough girl to crack.”
 
Just then, Botan had walked in Koenma's office. “Koenma sir?”
 
Koenma looked at the blue-haired ferry girl. “Botan, could you bring her into the office?” he asked her, seeing Botan nod and walk out of Koenma's office.
 
This left Yusuke and the others confused, Yusuke more so. “Get whom?” he asked the baby.
 
Botan ushered a girl, who had her black hair in a ponytail with some locks down her ears and messy bangs brushed to either side of her face, but one lock larger then the rest and mostly covering one eye., in the office. Her clothes consisted mostly of baggy black jeans and a thick black turtle neck. Around her neck was a set of dog tags that were more for design then reason. On her feet was what the guys could tell were black steel toed combat boots, to hurt and opponent more while keeping your feet safe. The girl looked at the guys, her dark eyes almost too serious for the team. “Hi,” she said to them.
 
Kuwabara looked at the girl. She was more serious than Andrea was at the moment, but why did Koenma bring her here? “Hi,” he greeted her.
 
Kurama nodded his head at her, his crimson bangs swishing in front of his emerald gaze. “Hello,” he greeted the newcomer warmly.
 
Yusuke, on the other hand, blinked twice. THIS was what Koenma had been waiting for? “You were waiting for a girl?!” Yusuke asked the baby. “You're trying to get a girlfriend now?” His answer was the girl socking him and Kuwabara whistling.
 
Kurama blinked. If there was one thing this girl had, it was spunk. “Girl's got spirit,” he said, slightly amazed.
 
The girl nodded her head, one hand on her hip. “You beat I do!” she answered.
 
Koenma felt like laughing at Yusuke but didn't. “She's not just some `girl', Yusuke,” he informed the leader of the Tantei.
 
“I'm Ryuusei Hikari. I'm your new partner!”
 
Kuwabara blinked. “Partner?” he echoed.
 
Ryuusei's dark eyes widened slightly. “You mean Koenma didn't tell you?” she asked and as Kuwabara shook his head, she looked at the Reikai prince. “Koenma, you said you'd told them!” After Koenma pointed to his paperwork, her eyes narrowed. “Don't you pay people to do that?”
 
Koenma merely shrugged. “On vacation,” he answered, which made an unbelieving Kuwabara hit the floor in surprise.
 
“What about your back up people?” she asked him.
 
“A little later,” Koenma answered her and then looked to the remaining Tantei, whose expressions were varied from shock to neutral. “Yes, everyone, she's your new partner, since Andrea's out of commission.” And she's really out of it, all right, he added mentally.
 
Ryuusei crossed her arms against her chest in a no-nonsense attitude. “You know my name, but call me anything I don't like and you'll know about it,” she said. “Repeat the mistake twice, though, and it's a whooping.”
 
Kuwabara kept that in mind. “I'm Kuwabara, and this dummy here is Urameshi,” he said, pointing at Yusuke, who was holding his face.
 
Kurama turned to face her and smiled at her, even though the situation was more serious than anyone had thought. “And I am Kurama.”
 
Ryuusei looked at the redhead, knowing exactly who he was. “No kidding! Andrea talks a lot about you!” she said, looking at Kurama's slightly red face.
 
Kurama looked away as if to say, “I'm thinking of going back home.”
 
Kuwabara did a double take on Ryuusei. She knew Andrea? This was starting to get confusing. “You know Andrea?” he asked her.
 
Ryuusei nodded her head. “Hell yeah,” she answered the carrot colored haired guy. “That girl can throw the meanest punch I've ever seen. And her kick doesn't do her justice.”
 
Under his breath, Yusuke added, “No kidding.”
 
“He's felt that a lot lately,” Kuwabara said to her.
 
Ryuusei nodded and then explained what she was. “I'm an Alchemist. I'm from one of the only five alchemic clans in Japan.”
 
Kurama blinked. He had heard of alchemists before but never met one before, as they were rare in this day. “I haven't meet an Alchemist before,” he answered Ryuusei.
 
“Have now,” she answered him.
 
Kuwabara turned his head to Ryuusei. “So, you heard about what happened tonight?” he asked her.
 
Ryuusei blinked, confused. She had no clue what Kuwabara was talking about. “Happened? What happened?” she asked back.
 
“Some guy was killed in an alley,” Kuwabara explained as best he could. “Andrea was at Kurama's place, but when we got there, she looked off.”
 
Ryuusei did not like where this conversation was heading. “What's his name?” she asked them.
 
“Ryou Kashara,” Kurama answered, and with that answer, Ryuusei's attitude changed from tough to stunned.
 
Kuwabara noticed something had sparked Ryuusei, probably the same spark that sent Andrea running out of Kurama's room. “You know him?”
 
Ryuusei looked nervous, even more as the eyes now turned onto her. “You could, uh... say that,” she answered.
 
Kuwabara scratched his head. “Well, just about 20 minutes ago, she bolted from Kurama's place,” he talked about Andrea's unusual behavior.
 
Ryuusei looked at them, stunned. “Really?” she asked and Yusuke nodded his head.
 
Kuwabara continued. “She was coding something like `There's something you'll never understand' and then she bolted.”
 
Ryuusei's eyes shot wide open. She knew what was going to happen, and she was the only one who could stop her. “Oh Kami,” she said, bolting out of the palace.
 
Kuwabara followed her. “What?” he asked, confused.
 
Ryuusei looked at the guys. “Sorry, guys, but I have to do this alone,” she answered them. “Like she said, you wouldn't understand.”
 
Kurama raised an eyebrow, thinking something was definitely wrong. “Why?” he asked her.
 
“Trust,” was Ryuusei's only answer. After Kurama nodded and Kuwabara stopped in his tracks, she ran off to find her friend. Don't let that girl do anything stupid, she thought.
 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
(What is Andrea planning to do? Will her friend, Ryuusei, be able to find her before something else happens to her? What secrets will be revealed? All in the next chapter.)