Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Simply Irresistible ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Simply Irresistible

How can it be permissible
[He] compromise my principle, yeah yeah
That kind of love is mythical
[He]'s anything but typical
[He]'s a craze you'd endorse, [he]'s a powerful force
You're obliged to conform when there's no other course
[He] used to look good to me, but now I find [him]
Simply irresistible

"Simply Irresistible"
Robert Palmer


Morning dew still clung tenaciously to green leaves, glittering like lonely tears in the crimson-golden touch of the dawn that was rising over the horizon. The air still smelled vaguely of the night's velvet perfume, but the thickening daytime musk quickly overtook and obliterated the lingering traces of darkness. As the sun fought to ascend its throne in the sky, Hiei leapt to another branch with the ease of long practice, the soles of his boots making contact with the rough bark for only a second before his powerful leg muscles propelled him forwards again. Another branch, another tree, another stretch of distance lessened between him and his target.

=
//It's been five years.//

The crisp morning air sent his cloak flapping about his legs as he sprung for a particularly high branch, catching it with his hands and levering himself onto the dew-damp wood. A pair of nesting birds flew away in alarm, squawking at him in disgruntled tones. Hiei paused for a second on the thick, sturdy branch, the fingertips of his right hand resting gently the truck of the ancient tree. A light breeze stirred the upward sweep of his dark hair, sending a couple strands flitting into his eyes, which he blinked away absently.

//Wonder if he's sharpened his fighting skills since then...//

Hiei had already recruited the idiot Gouki to aid him in the heist to steal the sacred artifacts from the Spirit World. Though Hiei didn't much like the lumbering oaf, once he learned that Gouki was quick to anger, greedy as sin, and too much of an imbecile to grasp the true extent of their actions, Hiei had instantly asked the Kyukonki to join him. And Gouki had agreed readily to Hiei's proposition, especially after the fire demon announced that he intended to enlist the aid of Youko Kurama, one of the most notorious thieves in all of the Makai.

//Ningens age too fast. I wouldn't be surprised if he is too feeble to fight already//

Tales of the infamous silver youko called Kurama had reached Hiei's ears ever since his youth with that band of petty thieves. If there was a treasure worth stealing, Youko Kurama had stolen it and probably already discarded it out of sheer boredom. He was the terror of those who guarded treasures and artifacts. A smug grin, a glint of pale gold eyes, a toss of that platinum hair, and a flash of the Rose Whip, and Kurama was off in the night. During hundreds of years of thievery, no one had ever managed to snare the silver youko. He was fiercely independent, only sharing his heart with a select few though countless others may have partaken in certain "nocturnal activities" with the fox-demon. Some knew him on a personal - even friendly - basis, but precious few truly understood him. Youko Kurama was the wind, and the wind was not meant to be caught in any way, shape, or form.

//Yet this pathetic excuse for a world has captured him. Made him weak//

Hiei still remembered Gouki's feral grin at the thought of working alongside Kurama. Now, that dark anticipation had infected Hiei, and he flashed a fanged smile into the morning sunlight. Yes, he wanted to see Kurama - or rather, Minamino Shuuichi - again, even if it was only to scoff at the human travesty that had once been a magnificent demon. Though Hiei had never seen the silver youko with his own two eyes, word of mouth was that he had been both beautiful and terrible, a deadly combination. No wonder so many hunted him.

Not too far away, Hiei suddenly heard the raucous sound of "schoolbells" ringing, a noise he found most bothersome. He couldn't really blame the students for hurrying to class, if it would get them away from that wretched noise. The clamoring sure as hell spurred Hiei onwards, the foliage a fragrant, multi-colored blur around him as he flitted through the trees, stopping only when he saw a building the ningens liked to call "school" looming in front of him. It was supposedly a place of learning, but Hiei had listened in on some of the lectures, and he saw no great need for the heaps of information acquired within the walls.

Wisely using the lush green leaves to mask his presence from wayward human eyes, Hiei intensely studied the crowd of young humans heading towards the entrance of the school, fighting to pick out that familiar face. *Why* had he paused to contemplate the fox back on that sunlit branch? Now, all the uniform-clad students would take refuge inside the school building, and he would have to wait until *after* they were done with all their silly classes to look for Kurama again.

Pushing down his annoyance with the situation, Hiei narrowed his crimson eyes and searched the mass of humans doggedly for a shock of scarlet hair, a flash of emerald green eyes, maybe even a flicker of youki that would betray Kurama's location. He briefly contemplated letting some of his own demon energy leak out, just to see which of the humans below reacted to it. However, he quickly nixed the idea; getting the drop on Kurama was half the fun of hunting him down like this. Almost as if he were courting the fox rather than seeking him out for business-related matters.

When Hiei's eyes finally did light upon Kurama's human body, he actually blinked to make sure he wasn't mistaken. Could that really be...of course it was. No one in all the three worlds had hair *that* red...

Kurama's crimson locks, which had been cropped close to his head the last time Hiei had seen him, had been allowed to grow until they spilled over his shoulders and down his back like a fall of freshly-spilt blood. Some strands stuck out in disarray, and the hair curled oddly at the ends, but it was all strangely controlled, as if Kurama had meant for his hair to seem refined but untamed, like that small portion of his kitsune nature that he could never fully repress.

Like most of the crowd, Kurama was moving towards the school's entrance, his back facing towards Hiei. He passed a group of females milling about the courtyard, and nearly all of their eyes shifted towards the redhead, their gazes ranging from wistful longing to raging lust.

//Even now, fox, in this weak, pathetic human form, you are still hunted and longed for by many.//

"Kurama." The name fell from Hiei's lips before he could bite it back.

To his utter surprise, the ex-thief halted in mid-motion, cutting his journey towards the school's entrance short. He stopped in the middle of the moving mass of students, forcing them to step around him as he turned to stare directly at the tree Hiei had taken residence in.

The fire demon's eyes widened fractionally, silently impressed with the fox's ability to pinpoint him so easily. Kurama lifted his face slightly, and Hiei realized that the redhead was trying to catch his scent in the wind. Kurama being able to smell him even across such a distance - Hiei found the concept unrelentingly erotic.

Hiei felt his lips spread in a secretive grin as he dropped out of the tree, putting himself in plain sight. He was sure that Kurama could see him now, but unfortunately, the crowd of students robbed Hiei of any glimpses of the kitsune. No matter. Slipping his hands into his pockets, Hiei turned and strode further into the copse of trees, leaving a faint trail of youki for Kurama to follow.

He stopped in a concealed, shady area and leaned against a tree trunk, his acute hearing tuned into any indication of Kurama's approach. Of course, he really didn't expect the greenery around him to betray the movements of a plant master such as Youko Kurama, but humans in general were clumsy creatures, and the Kurama was more human than Hiei thought healthy.

Grass crunched right beside Hiei's tree, and the fire demon was surprised to find himself disappointed at Kurama's carelessness. It took only a second for Hiei to remove his sword from its scabbard and press it against the human's throat. All movement ceased, and Hiei stepped from behind the tree, a harsh expression on his face.

"I could have slit your throat," he said flatly, the tip of the sword still hovering at the base of Kurama's slender neck. He had to angle his weapon sharply upwards, as he was now more than a head shorter than the human.

//He grew quite a bit in five years//

Kurama looked down at him with sad, tired green eyes and said calmly, "But you wouldn't have. You didn't willingly bring yourself so close to the humans you loathe just for the sake of killing me."

Frowning in displeasure that Kurama had been able to predict his actions so well, Hiei arced his sword away from the pale throat and replaced it in his scabbard. He laced his hands behind his back and took a good, long look at the person he hadn't seen in five years.

Fifteen years looked much better on Kurama than ten had. When Hiei first met him, the youth had been a gangly-looking thing, as if his legs and arms had grown too fast for the rest of his body to catch up with.

But now he had adjusted to those long legs and slender arms, and the end result was this stunning creature who moved with the grace that rivaled the most limber of dancers. Usually, Hiei didn't care much for physical prowess, but Kurama's incredible - if not a bit effeminate - beauty almost made his chest ache. Messy crimson bangs stopped just short of falling into a pair of emerald eyes that caught and reflected the golden sunlight. Kurama's face had thinned out, making him look older and more elegant. Though his magenta-colored uniform hung a bit loose on his lean frame, Hiei could tell that the body beneath it was long-limbed and slender, with a narrow waist and well-muscled, graceful legs that seemed to go on forever.

Hiei brazenly met Kurama's gaze, letting a fire fill his crimson eyes - a fire that silently let Kurama know that Hiei liked what he was seeing very much. Five years had turned Kurama into a creature worthy of passionate desire, and Hiei made no secret that he felt the pull of the strong, youthful body.

Kurama saw the heat in the little demon's gaze...and yawned tiredly. "What do you need, Hiei?"

The fire demon grit his teeth in annoyance. Of all the moments for the kitsune not to be feeling playful...

"We're going to steal artifacts from the Reikai vault," he explained coldly, "and I want you to come with us."

"Who is 'we'?"

"Me and Gouki."

At the mention of Hiei's current partner, wrinkles formed at the bridge of Kurama's nose. "You're an accomplished thief, Hiei. You hardly need my help with such a task, and with mindless muscle like Gouki, you needn't lift a finger when it comes to dealing with the guards."

"I want *you*, Kurama," the fire demon insisted, more than a little aware of the double entendre in his words. "You know more about the workings of the Reikai than Gouki and I combined. It would be idiotic for us to go bumbling in there without some sort of plan."

Sighing, Kurama rubbed one of his eyes with a long-fingered hand. "Sorry, Hiei. My mother is...very ill right now, and I hardly have time for such escapades."

//Escapades?//

Behind his back, Hiei clenched his hands into fists. For the first time, it occurred to him that Kurama might actually refuse his offer. "Aren't you even a bit interested in what artifacts we plan on stealing?"

Kurama looked at the fire demon a moment before shrugging indifferently. "Tell me."

"The Shadow Sword, along with the Orb of Baast and the Forlorn Hope."

Crimson eyebrows shot upwards. "The Forlorn Hope..." Kurama murmured, more to himself than to Hiei.

Emerald eyes became dull as Kurama fell into deep reflection, and Hiei would have sacrificed a reasonably valuable item to know what the youko was thinking. For the first time, he noticed how exhausted Kurama looked. Dark circles of weariness hung beneath his green eyes; he smelled of musky cologne and forests glistening after a good rain...but underneath all those pleasant scents was the clinging stench of disease. Not Kurama's disease, but most likely that of his ill mother.

Kurama suddenly came out of his study, and Hiei felt an unexpected thrill run through him when he saw genuine interest gleaming in the fox's eyes. "Come see me this afternoon," he said, "and I'll give you my answer then."

Hiei's lip curled back to expose the tips of his fangs. "Ch'. I'm not at your beck and call, stupid fox. I demand an answer now."

"Demand all you want. You won't get it," Kurama said coolly, eyes locked fearlessly onto Hiei's.

While the fire demon seriously contemplated whether or not to use his sword on Kurama for real, the redhead suddenly tossed Hiei an infuriatingly coy smile that was more reminiscent of the untamed silver youko than the sad-eyed Shuuichi. It was delayed response to Hiei's expression of carnal interest earlier, and the half-koorime felt a hot spike of lust lance through his loins.

A sudden rise of youki teased its way out of Kurama's spirit, for the moment overshadowing Minamino Shuuichi's human reserves. Kurama gave Hiei an impish emerald glance before turning in a whirl of crimson hair and the soft rustling of ningen clothes, not looking back as he sauntered away.

What an infuriating bastard! Hiei then knew that it had been foolish for him to lay out his lustful appreciation so quickly; now Kurama would milk the situation for all it was worth before even *contemplating* giving Hiei what he desired.

But in spite of himself, Hiei shamelessly admired Kurama's taut backside as the redhead walked away.

Simply irresistible, and more than worthy of the Hunt.


~fin


[He]'s unavoidable, I'm backed against the wall
[He] gives me feelings like I never felt before
I'm breaking promises, [he]'s breaking every law
[He] used to look good to me, but now I find [him]
Simply irresistible


"Simply Irresistible"
Robert Palmer



A/N: Well, this is my first YYH fic, and I must say that I think it's pretty crappy. It's just that the stupid song wouldn't leave me alone until I wrote it! O.O In any case, I guess what I was trying to do here was illustrate both aspects of Kurama's nature: Minamino Shuuichi who grieves for his sickly mother, and Youko Kurama who wants to play hard-to-get with Hiei. I also wanted to portray him as more of an independent person, instead of the giggly type that fawns over Hiei's every move. If I read another "girly Kurama" fic, I think I'll barf. X_X

Oh, and just a note, I'm a bit sketchy on the exact details of Kurama and Hiei's first meeting. I know it involved the girl Myra and such, but I forgot how old Kurama was and what Hiei attacked him for (the tearstone or something else?). I saw one measly shot of their first meeting in the YYH series, but Kurama looked really old there. ?_?

Thanks to anyone who read through this whole dumpster of fic! ^_^