Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Strange New Case ❯ A Strange New Case ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1
Another stupid mission
Disclaimer: I don’t own Yu Yu Yakusho, but I do own a poster
Yusuke stood in the large office of Koenma with his friends, Kuwabara, Kurama, and Hiei. The little toddler of Koenma cleared his throat for attention and the teenagers looked at him intently.
“I have a very important mission for you, Yusuke.” Koenma announced.
“I actually have an important mission for Yusuke, not you.” The young boy next to Koenma. The boy was even younger that Yusuke. He appeared only twelve. The boy had soft dirt colored hair with a long thin rat tail. His eyes were a deep blue and seemed to hold more knowledge that one lifetime.
“My name is Indrid and I have a request for you.” Indrid leaded closer to the group.
“It’s not like I have a-” Yusuke started but was cut off.
“Choice? Of course you have a choice, do this little favor for me or let the world fall into destruction. It’s your choice.”
“What’s-”
“The mission? Oh sorry, you just talk so slow and I get bored. I’ll let you finish for the sake of the others.” Indrid remarked.
“What are you, psychic?” Yusuke asked.
“Why yes, I am. I can read minds, predict the future, and move things with my mind.”
“That must be so cool.” Kuwabara remarked.
“I guess so.” Indrid muttered.
“Okay, what’s the mission?” Yusuke asked.
“I need you to protect somebody from demons.” Indrid explained. “His name is Michael Star and he’s wanted by everyone, human and demons alike.” Indrid slid a picture towards the group. Yusuke picked it up and looked at a boy with ice blue hair sticking out from under a hat. The boy’s big eyes were a sparkling sliver. He grinned cheerfully at the camera. The picture only reviled Michael’s head.
“Be very careful, if that boy should die, then the world will fall in turmoil.”
“Where do we find this kid?” Hiei asked.
“He’s not in the Spirit World or Earth. He’s on a planet called Thera and you must go there. You must not let him know that you’re protecting him. You have to find out why he’s wanted so badly.” Indrid explained.
“How do we get there?” Kuwabara asked.
“I thought you could walk.” Indrid said sarcastically. “I’ll be offering my powers to get you there so don’t worry.”
“When do we leave?” Yusuke asked.
“Right now.” Indrid closed his eyes and started mumbling what seemed like nonsense but made perfect sense to Indrid alone.
Yusuke’s world suddenly flashed a bright light. When the light died down, the group was no longer in Koenma’s office but a bright spring day in the woods.
“Are we in Thera?” Kuwabara asked.
“I guess so.” Yusuke guessed.
“Now what do we do?” Kuwabara asked.
“Look for this Michael boy.” Hiei answered.
“He could be anywhere.” Kurama pointed out.
“Let’s just start looking for him. The sooner that we find him, the sooner we can get out of here.” Yusuke started walking through the foliage on the ground. The boys followed.



Michael lied in a mud puddle, not caring if he gets muddy. After that near death experience, it’s a surprise that Michael had the energy to escape. What were those things? Michael thought. The creatures that were chasing him were shorter than a human and covered from head to foot in fur but they were capable of speech. There were about three, each with three rows of razor sharp teeth. Michael’s right arm was bleeding from the wound inflicted from one of the creatures trying to bite off his arm. Michael was able to escape by outrunning the creatures.
Michael was about to drift off into dreamland but a strong voice disturbed it.
“Stupid thorns! I hate this place!” A boy’s voice screamed.
“Kicking and screaming isn’t going to help.” Another voice tried to calm the boy.
“I don’t care. This place sucks!” The boy continued to rant.
“You’re crying over nothing.” Another boy remarked. “Just quit complaining.”
The voices were coming closer to Michael. He would move out of the way but his body refused. The voice became louder and Michael lied helpless. Suddenly, Michael felt something press down upon his body. His body sank into the mud. It took Michael a moment to realized that he was being stepped on. He thought the boy would take a quick step and leave Michael alone but the boy stopped.
“Do you think we should head for a town or something and ask?” The boy suggested. Michael couldn’t take the weight. He did the only thing that he could think of, scream his lungs out, hoping to get the boy’s attention. The boy heard Michael’s muffled screams and lifted his foot and Michael was able to breath.
“Hey, it’s a screaming bug.” The boy remarked. Michael felt insulted. He wasn’t a bug, he’s small but that doesn’t make him a bug. The boy bent down and started poking Michael’s bruised body. Michael was now annoyed with this boy, first he stepped on Michael, then he called him a bug but, now he’s poking him. Michael couldn’t take it. Why won’t this boy leave him alone? Michael lifted his head and bit that poking finger. The boy screamed and shook his bitten finger. Michael wasn’t letting go.
“Get it off, get it off!” The boy commanded. One of the other boys noticed that the accused bug wasn’t really a bug.
“Stop Kuwabara.” The boy commanded. Kuwabara stopped flinging his arm around, attempting to release Michael. He was still clinging to Kuwabara’s finger.
“It’s okay, we’re not going to hurt you.” The boy reassured. Michael released his teeth and used his wings to stay mid air above the ground. Kuwabara quickly pulled his hand away. “My name is Kurama, this is Hiei, Yusuke, and that’s Kuwabara.” Kurama introduced to Michael you would with a child. “What’s your name?”
Michael didn’t answer right away. He was still a little dazed from Kuwabara’s bashing.
“Can’t you say anything?” Kurama asked. Michael was insulted. He didn’t deserve to be treated like this.
“I can speak and my name is Michael and I don’t appreciate you guys trying to kill me. I’m capable of thoughts and feelings too. You’re not the only one with rights, ya know-”
“Wait, did you say your name is Michael?” Yusuke asked.
“Yeah, anyway I just-”
“Are you Michael Star?” Yusuke dared to ask.
“Would you let me finish.” Michael demanded. “Anyway-”
“My finger is bleeding.” Kuwabara screamed.
“Serves you right, you should watch where you step.” Michael remarked.
“You didn’t have to bite me.”
“And you didn’t have to poke me.”
“Would you shut up and answer the question.” Hiei commanded.
“I wasn’t listening, what was the question?” Michael asked.
“Are you Michael Star?” Yusuke asked again.
“Yup.” Michael answered. Yusuke couldn’t control his disappointment.
“Damn, damn, damn, damn it to hell, damn, damn, DAMN!” Yusuke screamed like a child with a large vocabulary.
“Is there a problem?” Michael asked.
“No, I was just excepting someone...” Yusuke didn’t know how to put it. Why did he have to protect a little fairy thing that’s only three inches tall? This was suppose to be some grand person that everyone wants but it turns out to be a boy only as tall as Yusuke’s pinkly. “Taller.” Yusuke remarked. That’s the wrong thing to say. Michael clenched his fist.
“I’m suppose to be taller?” Michael said in anger.
“Well, you are little.” Yusuke pointed out.
“And short.” Hiei added.
“And tiny” Kuwabara also added
“And pint-size.” Kurama added
“And teeny-weenie.”
“And miniature-”
“All right, so I’m short, you don’t have to make fun of me.” Michael interrupted.
“We’re not making fun of you.” Yusuke protested.
“Yeah, if we were making fun of you, we would say something like, ‘you’re so short that you need a ladder to get in your bed.” Kuwabara chuckled at his own joke.
“I’m going.” Michael started heading off into the forest feeling insulted.
“Wait, aren’t we suppose to protect that boy?” Kurama reminded. There was a pause then all the boys rushed to Michael’s side. Kuwabara had the nerve to in Michael’s small body.
“Ow, ow, get off, get off, you weigh a ton.” Michael screamed. Kuwabara stood up and Michael laid crippled on the ground. Michael let out a groan. He struggled to stand up and dust himself off.
“Oops, I forgot that you were so tiny.” Kuwabara remarked.
“Thanks.” Michael muttered.
“I think we should come with you.” Kurama suggested. Michael looked up at the red hair boy.
“Why?” He asked as he flew up to their eye level.
“Well, we thought you might need our protection, since you were stepped on by Kuwabara.” Yusuke explained.
“I’m fine. I think I would be safer without you guys especially Kuwabara.” Michael said.
“We’re lost and we need to find the nearest town. Can you help us?” Hiei asked.
“I might, I don’t know where the nearest town is but I do know stuff that might help you.”
“Like what?” Yusuke asked.
“What plants are poisonous, where not to step and what to watch out for.”
“Sounds like you would be perfect for our guide.”
“Yeah, we don’t know anything about this planet.” Kuwabara blurted.
“Where are you from then?” Michael asked.
“I guess the cat’s out of the bag, we’re from Earth.” Yusuke answered.
“I know some people from Earth. There’re a lot nicer that you guys except one.”
“Really, it looks like we can’t go any farther unless we want to travel at night.” Hiei pointed out.
“We should start a fire and get some food.” Kuwabara suggested.
“All right, Hiei and I will get the fire started and Kurama, Michael, and Kuwabara, go find some food.” Yusuke ordered.
Michael’s group headed off into the forest. Kuwabara offered to go find some meat while Kurama and Michael pick berries.
“Is this one good?” Asked Kurama as he held up a ripe purplish berry.
“It’s poisonous.” Michael said as he grabbed the berry that was the size of his head off of a bush and bit into it. Red juice gushed everywhere.
“Is that poisonous?” Kurama asked.
“Yes.” Michael continued eating it.
“If it’s poisonous, then why are you eating it?!” Kurama panicked.
“Light elves are immune to poisons. Duh.” Michael explained.
“So you’re a light elf.” Kurama said. Michael nodded his head. “What are light elves like?” Kurama asked.
Michael explained everything he knew about light elves which is a lot since he is one. When they thought they had enough berries for everyone, the boys headed back. Yusuke and Hiei were already sitting in front of a blazing fire.
“Where’s Kuwabara?” Yusuke asked.
“Here I am.” Kuwabara announced. He entered the camp with a large, dead doe on his back. “Here’s dinner.”
“Are you going to eat that?” Michael asked.
“What else would we do with it?” Hiei asked. Michael went pale.
“I think I’m going to be sick.” Michael dashed behind a tree and the boys could hear him vomiting.
“What’s wrong with him?” Kuwabara asked.
“Light elves don’t eat meat.” Kurama explained.
“Michael’s a light elf?” Yusuke asked.
“What’s a light elf?” Kuwabara asked.
“Michael is a light elf.” Kurama answered.
When Michael came back, the deer was already skinned and cooked. Each of the boys had a piece.
“Are you okay?” Kurama asked.
“Yeah, it was just a little too gross.” Michael answered.
“Now we can finally eat.” Kuwabara took a huge bite out of his share of meat. Michael went pale again.
“Excuse me.” Michael remarked as he covered his mouth and dashed behind the tree again and regurgitated.
“I just lost my appetite.” Yusuke sighed.
“Can I have it?” Kuwabara asked. Yusuke handed his share to Kuwabara. After fifteen minutes, Michael didn’t return from vomiting.
“Are you okay, Michael?” Kurama asked. No answer. “Michael?” Still no answer. Kurama got up and looked behind the tree Michael was last seen. There was no sign of him. “Michael?” He called out once more. Still no answer. He heard rustling of dead leaves under him. Kurama bent down and brushed off the dead leaves, reviling Michael, curled up in a little ball, asleep. Kurama gently picked up the little boy in his hand and carried Michael back.
“Well?” Hiei asked.
“Sh, he’s sleeping.” Kurama ordered.
The boys made a little bed out of fresh leaves and gently placed Michael down and let him rest. The boys didn’t go to sleep quite yet. They just sat around the fire, talking.
“Are you guys wondering why demons want Michael?” Yusuke asked.
“Yes, I’m wondering too. Michael doesn’t have any special powers or have any
psychical strength but his spirit energy is very strange indeed.” Kurama said.
“ I can sense it too. Very powerful but very limited.” Hiei pointed out.
“Maybe we should ask him.” Kuwabara suggested.
“Indrid said not to let him know we’re protecting him.” Yusuke reminded.
“Right.” Kuwabara sighed. “I’m going to bed.” Kuwabara announced. He laid his head down in the dirt and closed his eyes.
“I’m going to sleep too.” Yusuke announced and copied Kuwabara. Kurama lean against a tree and closed his eyes and Hiei jumped into a tree and watched the fire die down.