Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Suicide ❯ Chapter Thirteen ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Suicide

by Rose Thorne

Disclaimer: Yu Yu Hakusho is the property of Yoshihiro Togashi, Studio Perriot, Shonen Jump, et al. I do not acknowledge FUNimation with anything but the destruction of the series (with the possible exception of the Sensui Arc).

Note: If you skip the author's note at the end because you don't care about me, don't bother reviewing because I don't care about you.


Chapter Thirteen
Yuusuke scowled as Botan led them to Koenma's office. They'd just returned from the mission. The youkai had been rather weak, but it had put up a damned good fight and had taunted them before they'd finally managed to kill it.

Despite Koenma's "dead or alive" allowance for this mission, Yuusuke had wanted to bring the bastard in alive. If it was after Hiei, it probably knew who else was, too. That information was important. Even with the taunting, and the infuriating insinuations of what it had planned for Hiei if it reached him, Yuusuke had wanted to capture it.

Kurama had been the one to kill it, seemingly giving up on niceties when the youkai had spoken of the different uses he could get from Hiei's body. Ever since the battle, the half-youko hadn't spoken, his aura spiking with barely-concealed anger.

That was one thing Yuusuke couldn't understand. Kurama was fine with leading Hiei on and with betraying his trust, but he was angry over something like this? It just didn't make sense. Sure, Yuusuke was pissed over it, but Kurama... Well, he really wasn't sure what to make of Kurama.

Koenma barely greeted them as they entered his office. "You took care of it?"

Yuusuke's scowl deepened. "Obviously. We had to kill it, though."

The demi-god shrugged and continued stamping documents. "Dead or alive, it doesn't matter."

Yuusuke opened his mouth to speak, thoroughly annoyed by Koenma's unconcerned attitude, but he was beaten by Kuwabara. "It does too! If we'd captured the bastard, we'd know more about who all's after Hiei!"

Kurama stiffened at that, Yuusuke noticed with a tiny thrill of guilty satisfaction. The redhead shook his head after a few moments. "It was dangerous. If it had escaped . . ."

Yuusuke rolled his eyes. "It wouldn't have." He turned to Koenma. "Where's Hiei? We have better things to do than hang around here."

Koenma glared at him, pausing in his work, but answered. "We put him in Botan's quarters. She can take you there." They started to leave, but the godling spoke again. "He won't regain consciousness for several hours, you know. You should probably just stay here until he does."

Yuusuke stared at Koenma. "Why will it take so long?"

The toddler set the stamp down and sat back in his chair. "Security. That's how I set the barrier up."

"Well that's fucking ridiculous, not to mention dangerous," Yuusuke spat. "We're going back to the Ningenkai. I'll carry him, but we're not staying here. I've had enough of this shit for one day." He stormed out of the room, knowing there was very little reason for him to blow up at Koenma, but the whole situation was frustrating and he felt helpless to do anything about it.

The teen gave Botan a sharp look and she jumped, hiding behind her oar. "Right... to my place..." She led them there and let them in.

The sight of Hiei sprawled haphazardly on the bed, as if someone had just thrown him there, angered Yuusuke further, though he wasn't really sure why. He bit his tongue, refusing to say anything since Botan probably hadn't been responsible for it, instead moving toward the bed and carefully picking the fire demon up.

Kurama and Kuwabara were waiting in the hallway, and they immediately set off for the Ningenkai, led again by Botan, who was to open a gate for them.

* * *

It took Yuusuke a long time to calm down after he got back home. He just wanted something to beat to dust, to take his frustration out on, but he couldn't leave the apartment while Hiei was unconscious, and he couldn't exactly destroy something in the apartment unless he wanted Atsuko to ride his ass for the next several days.

Instead he employed some rarely-used meditation techniques that Genkai had pounded into him during his training, using them to calm down. He didn't want to be this angry when Hiei woke up, especially since Hiei was already skittish around him.

He was just calming down when the bedroom door opened and Hiei padded out, looking extremely confused and troubled. Yuusuke took a few deep breaths before speaking. "We got the demon. Killed it."

Hiei blinked at him. "How did we get here?"

Yuusuke felt his aura flare as his annoyance at the situation kicked back in, and he sighed as Hiei took a small step backward in response. "Koenma didn't tell us that you don't wake up right away because of the barrier. I figured it was better if I carried you home."

The fire demon stared at him for a moment before looking away self-consciously and walking to the window and curling up in the chair that he had apparently claimed. He didn't say anything.

Yuusuke sighed again. He really didn't understand why Hiei was so uncomfortable around him, but he wasn't going to pry. The teen stood, ready to retreat to the kitchen. "I'm going to go ahead and cook dinner." The announcement received no acknowledgement, not that he'd expected any. Hiei was already engrossed in the cityscape.

* * *

When Yuusuke came back into the living room half an hour later, Hiei was asleep again, his arms folded on the windowsill with his head resting atop them. He stood beside the fire demon and called his name, receiving no response. Finally he reached out to touch Hiei's shoulder.

Hiei woke before Yuusuke's hand reached him. The Jaganshi flinched back violently, rocking the chair slightly. Yuusuke withdrew the offending hand and Hiei glared at him, a wild, unidentifiable look in his eyes. "Don't touch me."

"You didn't wake up when I called," Yuusuke explained testily, more than a little annoyed by Hiei's apparent aversion toward him. "Why are you always so jumpy?"

Hiei scowled and skirted around Yuusuke. "I'm not jumpy."

He'd sidestepped the question. Yuusuke rolled his eyes. "Right. You normally act like my touch burns."

Hiei flinched slightly, but he seemed to settle on ignoring the teen and stalked to the kitchen instead. Yuusuke followed, shaking his head. He was really getting sick of this. He was trying to be Hiei's friend, and it was really frustrating to be shoved away at every turn.

* * *

Yuusuke yawned widely as class let out. They had P.E. next, and then one more class before they could leave. Hopefully, it would be uneventful. He just wanted to get out of there.

Hiei had been resolutely ignoring him for most of the day, only responding when absolutely necessary. It was annoying Yuusuke, but there wasn't anything he could do about it, especially since he didn't know what the fire demon's issue was.

"I'm not going to this class."

Yuusuke blinked, somewhat surprised that Hiei had addressed him. "Oh?"

"There's no point. They're just stupid games."

True enough. Yuusuke shrugged. "Then let's ditch." They changed directions and headed for the stairs.

Before they got there, the teacher rounded the corner. "Oi! Urameshi! Neither of you are skipping today! Get in the locker room!"

* * *

Yuusuke should've known that the day wouldn't be uneventful. Hell, he hadn't had an uneventful day since he'd died. Why should this one be any different?

P.E. had been divided, with one half playing volleyball and the other playing basketball. Yuusuke had been split from Hiei and assigned to basketball, so he wasn't entirely sure what had happened, only that it involved a volleyball traveling at high speed and had ended with one of the class punks getting a concussion.

The entire last period of classes had been spent dealing with bureaucracy. Yuusuke would've preferred class. Hiei had been unhelpful the entire time, leaving Yuusuke to deal with it. In fact, the fire demon was still ignoring him.

Yuusuke slung his bag over his shoulder. "What happened in class?"

Hiei didn't answer for a moment, then shrugged. "Play for dominance."

"What?"

The fire demon sighed. "He tried to prove he was above me, and I knocked him off his pedestal. It's really none of your business."

Yuusuke scowled. "Fine. Don't expect my help with them, then."

"I don't need your help."

The teen didn't bother to reply. He was too frustrated to be bothered with Hiei right now. If Hiei wanted to ignore him for most of the day, he could deal with the same thing in return.


What was originally here in the author's note was a huge rant, but I cut it out because I don't care that much. I'm dealing with a lot of stuff right now, so it might take a while to get chapter 14 out.

Suffice to say: Don't complain about me taking so long getting out new chapters, because I don't even have to finish this story if I don't want to. I am really busy and dealing with a lot of issues. If you can't handle that then please hit the back button and don't read my fanfiction anymore. Simple as that.

Also, I know this is kind of jumping around. I'm currently setting the plotline up for later events. Bear with it.

To Rath: I'm a lesbian. I'd bet she wouldn't have had as much of an issue if I was bi, because then at least I'd have a chance of being "normal" in her eyes. Personally, I'm starting to be glad that she's gone. I don't need that negativity in my life.

Quick request: If you are going to review, please don't just tell me you liked it. Here's my assignment to you guys: Tell me one thing you liked and one thing you didn't like in this chapter--style, characterization, plotline, inconsistencies, anything. I'm still learning, and I'd really like you guys to help me learn, and by critiquing me, you might learn something yourself. Probably about the only thing that'll annoy me is someone complaining about the fic being yaoi, or someone yelling at me about Kurama's as-yet-unexplained characterization (there is a reason for his actions; keep reading the fic to find out what they are, because they will be revealed later on).