Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Suicide ❯ Chapter Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Suicide

by Rose Thorne

~Standard Disclaimers Apply~


Chapter Six
Yuusuke scowled as he read the note that Atsuko has left. "She went out drinking. You'd think . . ." The boy sighed. "Well, I might as well show you around."

"Whatever."

A vein in Yuusuke's forehead twitched. He'd had about enough of Hiei for the day. "Forget it then. Find your own damned way around." He winced as he slammed the front door a little harder than he'd planned. Lost my temper . . . I shouldn't have said that. If anything, Hiei needs someone to ignore him acting out right now. He locked the door and took off his shoes, slipping them into the geta-bako [1]. "Take yours off too before you step out of the genkan [2]. And put them in the geta-bako."

He padded to his room, wondering vaguely where Hiei was going to sleep, then stopped short as the door, gaping. "What the hell . . .?!" His bed had been replaced by two futons. Damnit! I liked that bed . . . He grabbed a few manga [3] and stalked to the living room to vegetate on the couch. He frowned as he saw that Hiei was curled in a chair near the window. Is he asleep . . .? Yuusuke put his manga books down on the arm of the sofa and looked at the fire demon. "If you're tired there's a futon for you in my room." He frowned as Hiei shrugged. "It's not healthy to sleep sitting up."

"And how would you know if you never go to school?" Hiei's voice was cutting, with an annoying disdainful undertone.

Yuusuke glared at him. "You don't have to go to school to be educated," he shot back. "You've never been to school and you know quite a bit."

"Whatever."

Yuusuke sighed and flopped onto the couch, opening one of the manga and preparing to engross himself in it, prepared to ignore the brooding demon. He swore as the phone rang, slamming the book on the table and scowling as Hiei smirked. Damnit! Why won't anyone let me relax?! "Moshi moshi."

"You sound annoyed. I take it he's being difficult?"

"Kurama!" Yuusuke sighed. "Very. What's up?"

"I was thinking that we could get Hiei his school uniform tomorrow. I'm free at one."

Yuusuke grinned. "Sounds good to me." They made plans and hung up, leaving the boy feeling much more relaxed than he had. "We're going with Kurama to get your school uniform tomorrow, Hiei."

"Hn." The smirk disappeared from Hiei's features, replaced by an annoyed scowl.

"Glad you're excited." The fire demon turned a rather venomous glower on Yuusuke, but the boy just smirked. He couldn't help but feel somewhat vindicated after having to deal with Hiei for as long as he had, despite the fact that he was supposed to be nice and somewhat reassuring. I'm starting to think that it may have been better if we'd had Kurama take care of him . . . But it was too late to change things. Yuusuke shrugged mentally and grabbed his manga from the table, quickly losing himself in it.

* * *

Several hours passed before Yuusuke glanced at the clock, nearly done with the last manga from the stack he'd brought out. K'so . . . Mom should be home soon. I should get something out to eat. He noticed as he got up that Hiei was asleep, and grinned slightly. At least the little youkai wouldn't bother him while he was trying to get dinner ready.

He left the room quietly and went to the kitchen, rummaging through nearly-empty cabinets. The boy scowled. Just about the only thing to eat was instant ramen. He mulled over it for a while, checking the rather bare refrigerator before deciding to cook it. If it was cold by the time Atsuko got in, too bad. It was likely she'd be too drunk to notice anyway. He scrounged the cupboards for something to go with it, his eyes settling on the peanut butter on the shelf. Yuusuke grinned and got it out, grabbing the bread and jam from the refrigerator. Ramen and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches it is.

The meal was prepared within ten minutes. Yuusuke sighed. That meant that he had to wake Hiei. As if dealing with him today hasn't been difficult enough . . . He walked back into the living room, not bothering to cross the room. "Oi, Hiei! Dinner's ready."

The fire demon's eyes didn't open, but a scowl crossed his face. "And why would I care about that?"

Yuusuke's eyes narrowed dangerously. He had reached the end of his patience. "Because you're going to get your ass into the kitchen and eat it or I'll drag you in there and stuff it down your throat." Hiei's eyes opened, the crimson orbs alighting on the boy, a considering look in them. Yuusuke had had enough. "Try me." The snarl was filled with the promise that he would do exactly what he'd threatened if Hiei didn't cooperate.

The crimson eyes widened, and Hiei got up and crossed the room, cringing ever-so-slightly as he passed Yuusuke. The ningen winced. He hadn't wanted to scare Hiei . . . K'so . . . I keep doing everything wrong . . . The last thing Hiei needed right now was for someone to intimidate him like Yuusuke had just done. He cursed himself silently, then followed Hiei into the kitchen and served him a bowl of ramen. "Take as many sandwiches as you'd like, Hiei."

Hiei was silent for a while, and he just sat, staring at the cooling noodles. "I'm not hungry," he whispered, his voice soft.

Yuusuke frowned and sat down with his bowl of soup. "Hiei, you need to eat. I'm sorry if this isn't the kind of thing you like to eat, but it's all there is." The fire demon didn't reply, but tore a piece from his sandwich and ate it. Yuusuke sighed softly. "I'm sorry I lost my temper, Hiei, but you don't need to push my buttons. I'm trying to help you."

The youkai looked at him, his eyes hollow and tired. "Then leave me alone." Hiei lowered his eyes and began to eat.

Yuusuke didn't reply. He knows I can't leave him alone. It's my job to take care of him now . . . If we'd left him alone, he'd be dead. He kept his thoughts to himself, knowing that anything he said would be more detrimental than helpful. Instead, he concentrated on eating, watching the food before Hiei disappear. When the fire demon's plates were empty, the boy served him more ramen and another sandwich, bracing himself for an argument. Yuusuke was surprised when Hiei didn't even look up, but started on the second serving without a word.

They had almost finished eating when Atsuko stumbled through the door. After struggling with her shoes for a few minutes, the woman wobbled into the kitchen, obviously tipsy. "'Lo, Yuu-chan, er . . ." She paused, obviously not remembering the name of her 'nephew'.

"Hiei. And don't call me Yuu-chan," Yuusuke huffed. "You hungry, Mom?" She sat and he took that as a yes and served her. "I thought you'd be home this afternoon, Mom."

"'Che! What, you expect me to be back here when I need to go out and *hic* remember my brother properly?" Hiei pushed away from the table and left the room at her words, a strange expression on his face.

Yuusuke blinked in shock. What the hell is up with him? He didn't really lose a mother . . . Or had he? I have no idea what's going on with him. For now, I guess I just need to play along. "Mom! Be more prudent! Geez!" He hurried after Hiei. The fire demon was sitting in the chair by the window, his legs curled to his chest. He was gazing out the window, his eyes containing a very faraway look. "Hiei . . .? Are you okay?"

His friend blinked, then glared, not shifting his gaze from the window. "What the hell do you care?"

Yuusuke was taken aback. "What the hell do you mean, what do I care? You're my friend! Of course I care."

"I'm not going to argue with you. Just leave me the hell alone."

"Hiei . . . You know I can't do that."

Hiei stood, finally turning away from the window. "Why? Because of this?" He yanked his sleeves up, revealing the scars that stood out against his skin. The fire demon stared at the white blemishes in his skin for a few minutes. "You know, I could've been happy now. I could've been on my way to a better life. But because of you and that meddling brat, I'm stuck here causing more problems for everyone." Hiei shifted his accusing gaze to Yuusuke. "Fuck you. Fuck you, Kurama and Koenma for your damned meddling." The youkai brushed past the shocked teen. "I wish you'd managed to kill me when I stole the sword. Maybe then I wouldn't be ruining everyone's lives." He stalked to Yuusuke's bedroom and practically slammed the door shut behind him.

Yuusuke gritted his teeth in frustration, balling his hand into a fist. He wanted to punch something, but nothing in the apartment would be able to withstand the force he would end up using--and a trip downstairs to punch a hole in the sidewalk wouldn't be worth the trip back up. The teen took a few deep breaths to calm down, then sank on the sofa, mental exhaustion from the day falling on him. If he's going to be like this every day, I don't know how long I'm going to be able to stand it . . . He winced as he heard his mother crying in the kitchen for her 'aniki' [4]. That's why Hiei left the kitchen, and what he meant by 'causing more problems' . . . K'so. This is turning into one big mess. I need to figure out what to do, and Kurama's the best person I know to go to for advice. But . . . how am I supposed to talk to Kurama alone about it . . .? Hiei's bound to me. He blinked, a light grin lighting up his face. He's bound to Kuwabara too! I can have Kuwabara watch him for a while. That way I can talk to Kurama. The thought made him feel a bit better.

The front door slammed and he scowled. Atsuko had gone out again--probably to drown her sorrows in alcohol. Sorrows that didn't exist until today. K'so . . . Yuusuke sighed and picked up his manga from the table and locked the front door, then headed for the bedroom. He'd had enough for the day, and he was going to get some sleep so he could deal with tomorrow. Gods help Hiei if he wanted to fight him. The youth wondered if Koenma had bothered to leave clothes for Hiei to sleep in, then shrugged. The fire demon could borrow something of his for the night. All he cared about right now was getting to bed.


[1] Shoe cupboard. In Japan, it is customary to remove one's shoes in the genkan, before entering the rest of the house. Anything else is considered rude. (Thus the reason for Keiko throwing off her shoes before running to kiss Yuusuke.) There's a possibility that the Urameshi's would not have a geta-bako, but I'm assuming they would to keep Atsuko from tripping on shoes when she comes in drunk.

[2] An entranceway to a home/apartment. It's considered important because it's the "face" of the house. Usually, one must step up from the genkan to enter the hallway beyond it. Also, the smaller the genkan, the lower the step.

[3] Comic books.

[4] Older brother.

This was going to be a bit longer, but I'm about to go on 'vacation' for break, and I won't have access to a computer to write more. I wanted to leave something for you guys, so this is what you get. Next you'll get the shopping trip, and then perhaps the first day of school for Hiei-chan. Hope you enjoyed this chapter, and everyone have a great holiday! Happy Whatever-You-Happen-to-Celebrate.