Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Sweet New Year's ❯ My Gift ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

This was it! This was the day he would tell her, he was sure of it. He was going to march right up to her and announce his undying love for his little ice koorime. He would get down on one knee and…and…tell her his love!
 
Then why won't his legs stop shaking?
 
“Come on,” he grunted leaning forward trying his best to move his stationed feet. They wouldn't move from their spot. It was as if the mere thought of finally confessing his love to her started his whole body to go against him to hinder his goal. It was as if the whole world itself was going against him and how he loathed it.
 
He sighed tiredly then tried again. “Come on, please?” He looked down at his feet in anticipation and hatred, swerving his body. “Fine,” he said in defeat, relaxing his tensed up muscles. It seemed that that had worked for his feet became light as he turned his body away from the entrance of the temple.
 
He began to trudge away from the temple in defeat, saddened by the fact that he would not be able to accomplish his New Year's resolution. Damn these feet with a mind of its own.
 
He had dressed nicely for tonight. Nothing too fancy for the New Year's party he so wanted to attend tonight. He wore a nice dark orange shirt, freshly pressed with an equally nicely pressed dark orange pants. Around his waist was wrapped a red sash completing his ensemble. It was simple yet he went through such great lengths to look this good.
 
It wasn't easy for him. Mostly due to other people's opinion of his facial features, he had almost built up the impression that he was truly ugly. He had never had a straight girlfriend for very long but with his lovely ice maiden, she accepted him. She didn't look away in disgust.
 
He stopped mid step, turned, and sprinted up the temple stairs as his mind became clear.
 
She had accepted him with all his faults and never detoured form his laughter. She laughed with him and on occasion even cried with him. She was kind and sweet to him, always having a smile to greet his tired face.
 
His feet were so heavy and he felt ready to pass out. This was not going to stop him from his goal. He was going to tell her the truth and nothing but the truth. He was going to tell her that he loved her more than anything in the world.
 
He patted his pocket making sure his new year's gift was secured as he approached the door. With a bound of energy he dove into the air landing at the front door the dojo, his feet now as light as a feather.
 
“Keep me from my love you will not,” he boosted wiping his brow. Taking a few deep breaths he slid open the door.
 
“Hey, Kuwabara,” greeted a voice. He smiled warming at his childhood friend and rival: Yusuke Urameshi. He wore a similar attire as Kuwabara. His clothing was a dazzling sky blue and a deep blue stash circled his waist. Little dragon designs dotted his clothing.
 
He walked up to Kuwabara taking his hand into a firm grip. “You're late.”
 
He smiled sheepishly rubbing the back of his head and laughed softly. “Well, my feet had a mind of its own.” Yusuke nodded his head remembering what they had talked about earlier.
 
He needed a boost of confidence to talk to Yukina and Yusuke was the person he went to. God only knows why he did. He was just the first name to pop into his head.
 
Next to greet his was Kurama, a red head that began to date his sister not too long ago. He didn't mind know that technically he was older than Shiziru…a lot older. As long as Shiziru was happy and Kurama was respecting her then all was cool with him.
 
He wore a lovely green outfit with a light green sash. he had a hinted scent of colone then his usual flower power scent.
 
“Hey, Kurama,” he greeted also shaking his hand in turn as Yusuke left to refill his empty cup. Kurama smiled pleasantly and promptly excused himself as he caught sight of his little vixen, his eyes tinting with a slight golden color. “Hey, Shiziru behave yourself!”
 
Kuwabara only received a mischievous laughter from his older sibling as she and her `friend' moved to the fireplace on the other side of the room and from prying eyes. He really couldn't contain the shiver that ran up his neck and throughout his body. Damn the sixth sense.
 
He made his way to the dinning room making sure to greet the host of the party. “Hey, Genkai,” he said bowing respectfully at the elder woman.
 
She raised an eyebrow and nodded her head surprised. “My, have we've grown in the past years.”
 
He smiled and chuckled. “Yeah. Those whomps to the head really cleared some sinuses.” Genkai chuckled also pointing to the back where the others had gathered. “You're not coming?” he questioned.
 
She shook her head. “I'm not a party person. I have decided that tonight is for the youngsters.” She had decided to go to a neighboring friend's temple for the evening. Sip some tea, render a thought or two on the new year and the past year, say a few wisdom thoughts and finally think up some new torture…training sessions for her students.
 
Kuwabara bid her a happy new year and made his way to the back.
 
As he entered a small voice rang into his ears and his throat squeezed. “Hello, Kazuma-san.” The best he could muster was a croaky hello.
 
She smiled softly handing him a drink. She was so stunning, he thought to himself. Her usual lime green attire replaced by a golden silky material with a white sash. Her hair was placed in a high bun with a gold ribbon and in her ears; he couldn't believe it, were diamond clip on earrings.
 
She truly was a sight to behold.
 
In the corner he spotted Hiei and, yet again surprising him, wearing a light shade of off-cream with a black sash. Botan, who seemed to have a fetish for his hair, was pawing at it like a little kitten. Running it through her fingers as if just discovering its silkiness she spoke to him about her New Year resolutions. Although Hiei seemed to be glaring towards him, his body tense ready as ever for a fight, he looked quite pleased to whatever Botan was inquiring at him.
 
Yusuke was sitting in the chair on the other side with Keiko's head on his shoulder. She was giggling and whispering in Yusuke's ear. “Damn, Keiko,” he laughed. “I think someone has had a little too much sake.”
 
She only smiled and bit his ear playfully. “Aw, Y-Yusuke….it just lil' bit. You know, sippin' some love for just a lil' bit. To love and peace to the world!” she exclaimed, holding her sake bottle in the air. Botan laughed doing the same with her glass that Hiei so graciously held after a little persuasion.
 
“Love and peace, girl!” Botan exclaimed holding her glass in the air.
 
Shiziru walked in with Kurama behind her grinning like the chester cat. She swiped a bottle form her brother's hand, took a long gulp, belched and held it in the air. “I can't believe he kisses that,” whispered Yusuke to no one in particular.
 
Her smile broadened and she leaned back into an awaiting embrace. “I don't know about the peace thing Keiko but I'm all for the love,” she said winking. “Cheers!!”
 
Yukina had a rising blush on her face as her hands mingled together around her tiny glass of apple cider. She smiled though and held it up as the radio situated in the middle of the table began to broadcast the events of tonight. “To a group of great friends and warmth for the new year to come for us all.” She hesitated slightly but reached behind her to grasp Kuwabara's hand.
 
He looked down at their conjoined hands then to the back at Yukina's head. It wasn't the fact that their hands were joined that made a blush rise but the fact that they were laced.
 
And really tightly in fact…
 
“Um, Yukina,” he began slowly removing his hands and the radio coming on.
 
“It's eleven fifty eight folks and the crowd is packing it up!!! There are drinks and games and costumes galore down here in Tokyo Square!! Time for all those people out there to start handing out those New Year's gifts that cost them both an arm and a leg!!”
 
And as those words came out everyone started to hand each other their gifts. Even Hiei had taken a little consideration to actually purchase something for Botan. She smiled happily handing him her gift. Opening it, he blushed deep crimson closing the box hastily. She leaned into his ears and whispered, “I'll wear that later.” He simply nodded quite embarrassed that she would bring something like this in public.
 
Yusuke handed Keiko a charming gold necklace with their names entwine with it. If she was awake at the moment she would hand hers to him. He simply kissed her softly and returned to watch the others exchange gifts.
 
Kurama simple leaned Shiziru back giving her a small kiss on the cheek. Giving gifts wasn't her forte and he respected that. It didn't mean however that he couldn't give something in exchange. He held out his hand and in it a small gold flower sprouted. “Tomorrow,” he whispered, his voice going a deeper tone, “I will show you my true self. That is my gift of promise to you.”
 
Damn, how she now wished she had gotten him a gift. Oh well, she sighed, I'll make it worth his wild.
 
Yukina turned slowly around to look at Kuwabara, her eyes showing a bit of hurt but wanting to give him her gift, her gift to show that she cared for him.
 
“It's now eleven fifty nine folks!! Time for that count down!! Fifty nine, fifty eight, fifty seven, fifty six…”
 
“Kazuma-san,” she said hoping her feelings were returned, “I have something for you…”
 
“Fifty!! Forty eight, forty seven…”
 
Kuwabara shook his head in a sad manner and she feared the worst. He turned his back feeling her twitch in sadness. All eyes were literally on them and to her; the room was getting quite warm.
 
“Forty!! Thirty eight, thirty seven, thirty six…”
 
“Yukina, I…I don't want to cause you anymore pain and,” he took a shaky breath taking a step away from her outstretched hand, “I don't want to be your friend anymore…”
 
It was as if her whole world had shattered right in front of her. She could feel the tears lodged in her throat screaming to break free. She could feel the death glares penetrating her soul straight to the man she had grown to love throughout the years from her older sibling. She felt death come caving into her very being.
 
“Thirty!!”
 
He turned suddenly, his hands in his pocket. He pulled out his small case and knelt to one knee.
 
“Twenty one, twenty!!”
 
He took a deep breath feeling the air around him cringle with energy from the fire demon and a little from his fox and detective friends to his way he wanted to do this. “It's true I don't want to be your friend anymore.”
 
“Fifteen!!”
 
Yukina's heart swelled with pain. Why, why was he doing this…she loved him. She still loves him and she wanted him to love her.
 
She gasped when he opened the case.
 
Ten
 
“I want to be more than just a mere friend to you. I want to wake up to your smile and tender touch each and every morning. I want to be there to dry your tears and to see that warming smile grace your features.” He took his took a hand and gentle wiped the rising tears around his heart's eyes.
 
Nine
 
“I wanted to hear your laughter for me and only me. I want to have little rugrats running around with snot filled noses and screaming at the top of there lungs. I want to eat your cooking…”
 
Eight
 
He grabbed her hand, gently, tenderly, and placed the diamond ring on her fourth finger. He looked up at her smiling at the little gems hitting the floor and stood to look down at her.
 
Seven
 
“I want to spend my life with you Yukina not as a friend but as a husband that will love and cherish you forever and ever,” he said softly rubbing their noses together.
 
Six
 
She closed her eyes sighing heavenly to the sensations. How could she ever doubt him…the one man she had come to love now and always. Even if they end up apart this would always be in her heart and would forever.
 
He leaned down kissing the tip of her nose then the corner of her lips as she puckered them expecting him to kiss her.
 
Five
 
Her skin was warm to him and built a fire deep in his chest. He leaned back smiling at her. “Yukina…”
 
Four
 
She opened her eyes to look into his brown eyes full of passion and warmth that it made her knees go slightly numb.
 
He leaned forward just barely from her lips and whispered against them, “Will you marry me and make me the happiest fool in the world?” before kissing her.
 
Three
 
It was all she could do to not let go. Her arms encircled his neck as his hands wrapped around her tiny waist, pulling her to the heat of his body. She melted against him sighing happily against his lips. The passion and the heat she felt only expressing through the movement of their lips.
 
Tears of joy fell from her eyes to the corner of her lips. Kuwabara pulled away and licked the tiny tears away smiling down at her.
 
Two
 
“I'm sorry I caused you so much pain these past years,” he said ignoring the long whistles and cheers from his comrades, “but I'm ready to make them all up with some interest.”
 
She only leaned in capturing his lips again, seemingly not getting enough of his energy that coursed through her veins. She wrapped a small necklace around his neck and he pulled back to look at it.
 
One
 
It was a tear gem. Not her ordinary blue or creamy ones. It was smaller than the rest and seemed heavier to his touch. It was crystal clear as if nothing was in it at all except a tiny orange and lime green feather.
 
He looked at her with question in his eyes. She only smiled pulling him yet into another kiss.
 
A lifetime together….
 
Just her and her Kazuma…
 
She was so happy….
 
“Happy New Year's, Yukina,” he mumbled trying to get some air. If this kept up, she would be a widow before she got married.
 
She giggled holding him close. “Happy New Year's…my husband.”