Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ That's What Friends Do or Makai Plants Book One ❯ Hiei's Mistake ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer and warnings: first chapter
This chapter mostly flashback
 
Chapter 2: Hiei's Mistake
As Hiei jumped form tree to tree, a mere blur even to humans with abnormally good vision, he thought, “you're not baka, kitsune. I am.” Earlier that evening he had been sleeping in the tree outside of Kurama's window, waiting for him to come home so they could train together, when he felt the fox's fighting ki flare. “Baka kitsune,” he thought, “you're supposed to fight with me, not some low-level demon.” It must be weak if he could not even feel its energy from here, less than a mile away. Hiei sighed and went back to sleep.
After a few minutes, he woke up as he hit the ground. He'd fallen out of the tree with his tossing and turning. He decided to check how Kurama was doing. He located his ki and paused. It seemed weaker, and somehow desperate, like he was losing ki somehow, but Hiei couldn't feel his opponent's ki. “Maybe he is practicing without me, the Forbidden Child,” Hiei thought, pouting slightly. “Well let him,” he said aloud, “stupid Kurama. I'll train on my own too!” And so he did.
A while later, he sighed and checked Kurama's ki again. He couldn't feel it. He checked again and still couldn't feel it. Hiei started to worry. First his friend's ki had seemed to be weakening, and now he couldn't feel it at all? Panicking, Hiei ripped the ward off of his Jagan eye. The purple eye in the middle of his forehead opened and searched for any sign of Kurama. Finding a trace of his energy a few miles into the forest, Hiei hastened that way. Hiei flickered out of sight, leaping from tree to tree, watching for the red-head. He almost missed him sitting against a tree with his eyes closed.
“What are you doing just sitting there, moron, we're supposed to be train…” he stopped and stared. His friend's face was pale and sweat beaded on his forehead. His chest moved feebly and a red arrow had penetrated his heart, pinning him to the tree. From this close, he could feel his ki, draining slowly. The arrow was turning black.
He watched his dying friend's face a moment before putting one hand on Kurama's right shoulder and grasping the arrow with the other. He pulled as hard as he could, but it did not budge. He yanked a few more times, bracing himself against the tree with his foot, but made no progress. Then he realized that the arrow had a familiar ki: Kurama's. The arrow was draining Kurama's life force, and he couldn't get it out.
He tried to pour some of his ki into Kurama like he had seen Kuwabara do for Yusuke when he was on the brink of death. An invisible force repelled him. His red eyes glowed with fire and his ki flared around him. He pulled back a fist to punch the tree, screaming, then stopped. His ki dropped back to normal as he plopped onto the grass, alternately staring at the arrow and Kurama's face. He started talking to the still form.
“You know, you were the first demon to treat me with kindness. Even my family couldn't stand to look at me. `Forbidden Child' was whispered with contempt everywhere I went. It surprised me that you, the famous fox thief, allowed me to be in your presence. You worked with me to get the Three Treasures. I thought you would probably kill me after you got your hands on them, but you only wanted the Forlorn Hope. It amazed and surprised me that a demon as old and experienced as you would form such a bond with your human mother that you were willing to die to save her. I thought you were stupid for caring so much about humans, but I thought you were even crazier for caring what happened to me. But I grew to trust you so much that I told you about my sister, Yukina. You were the only one I trusted that much.” He kept talking, watching his friend's face, hoping to see a flicker of life.
All of a sudden, he burst out with, “baka kitsune!” he paused. “Maybe I'll tell you all of this when you wake up. No, I will definitely tell you. All you have to do is wake up.” He waited, and to his surprise, Kurama's eyes opened. They were bloodshot and unfocused, but he said, “Hiei. I'll train with you later. Right now, I've got…to…sleep.” His head started drooping and Hiei yelled, “NO!” Kurama's head slowly lifted. “Nani?” he asked softly, and then gasped in pain, clutching his stomach. Hiei finally noticed the sluggishly bleeding wound stretching across the kitsune's stomach and the large blood stain on the tree trunk where his head had been resting.
“What the Hell happened to you?” Hiei exclaimed. “An ambush…couldn't feel ki…poisoned…got weak…sorry I was…so late.” Kurama gasped once and the arrow fell out. His body fell to the side and the black arrow fell in front of him. Hiei picked it up and held it. He gasped at the pain he felt just from holding it and put it down. He reached for it again and did not feel anything. He was still holding it when Yusuke said his name and startled him.
Now he was off to find his twin sister, Yukina to see if she could do something… anything to help Kurama. He flickered through the trees, landing on the roof of his sister's house and entered without knocking, yelling, “Yukina! Help me!”
 
TBC…
 
A/N: Reviews?