Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ That's What Friends Do or Makai Plants Book One ❯ Yusuke Wonders ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I don't own Yu Yu Hakusho or these characters, I'm just one of many people who wish they did.
 
Warnings: some cursing, minor alcohol use (once), ouchy kitsunes, OOC Hiei's, violence, implied shounen ai (meant as friendship, but…)
 
Chapter 1: Yusuke Wonders
Yusuke was reading a book (OK, he was looking at the pictures - it was a girly mag - who reads the articles?), when he felt a tremendous surge of spirit energy. Even his mother Atsuko, in a drunken stupor as usual, said, “what's that?” before shrugging and passing out. The surge only lasted a few seconds, as if someone had gotten extremely mad and then regained control of themselves. It took Yusuke a minute to grasp that it was demonic spirit energy and that it seemed familiar to him.
Realizing suddenly that it was Hiei's ki and knowing how destructive the runt could get when he was pissed, Yusuke decided to investigate. He was the Human World's Spirit Detective, after all! (And besides, the chicks in the mag had smaller tits than Keiko. And Keiko's ass was so…sigh. Back to work.) Yusuke grabbed his jean jacket off of the hook, looked back at his mother, walked back and took the jug of sake away from her, took a swig, spat it out, and threw the bottle away. Now he was ready!
He walked towards the direction in which he had felt Hiei's ki and realized it was near Kurama's house. He decided to hurry - if the fox demon and the fire demon got into a fight, it could cause some real problems for all of them. He walked into the forest and stopped. It was way too quiet. He could feel that something was majorly wrong. He started walking faster, nearly running and stopped mid-stride upon seeing Hiei dead on the ground. At least he thought it was, but Hiei would never wear camouflage clothes, would he?
He turned the demon over and gasped. It looked exactly like Hiei, right down to the white starburst in his black hair. His body was slashed to ribbons with what looked like a whip. Seeing thorns in one of the wounds, Yusuke guessed that it must have been Kurama's rose whip. Thinking the worst, that Kurama had killed Hiei in some petty argument, Yusuke leaned down to touch the ornery little demon's hair and felt something wet. He looked down and laughed his relief. The demon's hair was dyed to look like Hiei's, but it was a poorly done job; it came off at the lightest touch. Still not understanding what was going on, Yusuke continued on warily.
He stopped abruptly upon seeing Hiei sitting in the grass holding a black arrow. Blood dripped from its shaft. Hiei was so absorbed in examining the arrow that he startled when Yusuke said his name softly. Yusuke looked at a nearby tree and saw a familiar head of red hair. Kurama was laying next to the tree, his body turned away and mostly hidden from Yusuke's view. “Well, Kurama and Hiei, what's up?” he asked lightly, smiling at his old friends' oddness.
In the softest, flatest tones he had ever heard from the young fire demon, Hiei said, “Kurama is dead. Or will be within the hour. There's nothing I can do. It's my fault.” Then, to Yusuke's horror, a single tear gem rolled down the normally sarcastic demon's face. Yusuke started at this reminder of Hiei's heritage. Hiei was the twin brother of Yukina, an ice apparition. Hiei had been kicked out of his home, a Forbidden Child, simply for being born a fire demon in an ice village.
“Yukina!” Yusuke suddenly burst out, nearly shouting. Hiei kept his dull, dead look until he realized what Yusuke was suggesting. Hope flickered, then died in his bright red eyes. “Yeah, but can we get her here in time?” Hiei asked tonelessly. “You go get her - you're much faster than I am. I'll stay here and watch him,” Yusuke said, nodding towards Kurama. Hiei nodded, then walked off. By the time he was out of the clearing he was running. Yusuke chuckled at Hiei's attempt at nonchalance. Then he walked over to Kurama and gasped.
The fox demon was pale and his wide, green eyes were open, staring at nothing. Yusuke thought he was dead until he felt the slightest flicker of ki from the kitsune. He was alive, but barely. He saw a wound just over Kurama's heart, a jagged slash across his stomach, and realized that his hair looked redder than usual. On the back of his head was a large gash. Yusuke looked at the tree and saw a hole around the height that Kurama's heart would be and a bloodstain on the tree from his head wound. He slowly reached for the arrow to see if it would fit the hole in the tree, but stopped a foot away from it.
The arrow seemed to be emitting a strong demonic ki, so strong that Yusuke knew he would not be able to touch it. He guessed that Hiei had only been able to touch it because he was a demon. Then he looked at the kitsune and wondered why Kurama had not simply pulled it out and healed himself. He wondered what could have done so much damage to a demon as strong as Kurama and why he had not simply changed into fox form and run away if he had no chance of winning. Everyone knew that his human form was much weaker and took longer to heal. He had a lot of questions to ask Kurama when he got back to normal. The sudden sense that Kurama's life energy was draining at an alarming rate made him wonder if he'd ever have the answer to those questions.
 
TBC…
 
A/N: Review, please!