Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ That's What Friends Do or Makai Plants Book One ❯ A Second Attack ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warnings and disclaimer first chapter
 
Chapter 5: A Second Attack
 
He was about to put the antidote, an orange flower, into his mouth when a large weight picked him up and threw him into the next clearing. His head slammed into a tree and he blacked out for a minute. Kurama woke up and shook his head. The monster that had no spirit energy looked like a centaur, but was larger and more intelligent than average. Kurama stood up and almost fell down again. He felt weak and wanted nothing more than to just sleep, but he knew that it was only the poison making him feel that way, so he stood up straight. A good side effect of the drug was that he could no longer feel pain, so he shook out his rose whip and fought.
 
If he had not been slowing down, he may have had a chance to defeat the monster, but he guessed that the poison was intended to make this fight impossible for him to win. He kept fighting, but once he had been slowed down enough, the centaur pulled out a bow and neatly shot Kurama through the heart with a red arrow. The arrow pinned him to the tree he had recently hit. The monster laughed and snarled in a deep, harsh voice.
 
“With you gone, it will be far easier to kill the Spirit Detective and his other friends. Without your antidotes to save them from my poisons, they will all die in no time!”
 
He laughed some more and added, “ I'll kill them all, one by one, and nail them to that tree so you won't die alone, Kurama!”
 
With that, Kurama passed out, happy not to have to think of what would soon happen to his friends…
 
After finishing his story, Yoko Kurama sighed, “I'm glad he has not made good on his promise yet. I think we may have a small repreive, but no one should…go anywhere…alone…” he said with increasing pain and weariness, finally falling into a deep sleep while changing into his red-headed human form. Hiei started to get up, faltered, and sat back down again.
 
“Maybe Kurama has the right idea…” he said, also falling asleep.
 
***
 
Yusuke and Kuwabara brought the demons back to the city. As they carried them, they talked with Yukina.
 
“So that arrow drained Kurama's spirit energy and kept him from accepting anyone else's while the poison kept him from healing himself or changing forms and made him tired, but not able to feel pain?” Yusuke asked Yukina.
 
“I believe so, but Kurama would know more about it than I do. He called that poison `demon slayer.' I wonder if he'll be okay. * sigh * I guess we'lll have to wait and see.” Yukina said in that quiet way of hers.
 
Kuwabara and Yusuke exchanged glances, not encouraged.
 
***
 
The big centaur that had nearly killed Kurama cowered in fear before the large, shadowy figure in front of him.
 
“What do you mean he escaped? Didn't you seal that thief's spirit energy like I told you to?” The bellow echoed through the dark, cavernous room and just made the shadowy figure sitting on the throne of bones that much more intimidating.
 
“Y-yes sir, but his friends helped him and…”
 
“Friends? What is this? Yoko thieves do not have `friends.' You must have captured the wrong…”
 
“No, sir. It was him, all right. I could tell from his spirit energy. But he was in human form. I watched him for weeks before catching him in the forest and I saw first hand that this is true. He had friends.” The centaur paused. “They saved him while I went to find him and they killed Goki.”
 
“I was getting tired of that little shrimp anyway. I hope he fulfilled his purpose…”
 
The centaur ground his teeth. “Yes, he `fulfilled his purpose.' He died to do it.”
 
“Oh, well. I'll find you another partner. One not quite so annoying.”

“Yes, sir.” The centaur said stiffly, backing away and out of the throne room. When he was out of ear shot, he said, “I don't want another partner. I want my old friend back. I'll get that bastard Kurama for killing him. I swear it, Goki.”
 
TBC…
 
 
Author's Note: I did not have this last scene in the original draft, but I thought people would want to know that it's not just centaur boy. There's someone much tougher lurking in the background, waiting for the boys to slip…
 
Sorry for taking so long to update…school and all that.