Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Coming of a Friend and the Star Pendent! ❯ The Coming of a Friend and the Star Pendent ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Prologue:

Youko Hoshiko-neko ran as fast as her cat legs would take her. Her pursuers were hot on her tail and she knew that if did not lose them soon that they would have her along with the Star Pendent. However, she dared not think about that now, only safety was the only thing that she would worry about. She soon ran up to the edge of a cliff. She managed to stop herself from falling. Looking down, she could see both the Spirit and Human Worlds. Could she escape this way?

The demons that were pursuing her, saw that she had no where else to go. "Here kitty, kitty, kitty," the lead demon taughted. "Hand over the Star Pendent and I promise that we will leave you be," he promised.

She clenched the pendent in her hand and shook her head. "Over my dead body!" she shouted to them.

"As you wish…Uh?!" the lead demon started, than he saw her jump off the cliff. He and his companions ran the edge and peered down. "Clever cat, but I will have that pendent at any cost." He and his friends turned and walked into the shadows…

Yami Aikou sat on the park bench practicing on her newfound ability; being able to animate any picture just by signing her name. This was an ability that she was keeping secret and was waiting for the right time to show her boyfriend, Kurama. However, the `living' picture only seemed to last no more than a few moments before it crumbles. She wanted them to be able to last longer, before Kurama and the rest of the spirit detectives returned from their latest mission that Koenma has assigned them.

Sighing, she started on another picture. Once it was finished it resembled her beloved Kurama. "This is great!" she said aloud to herself. "With this ability, I don't need to wait for Kurama. I just need to draw a picture of him and WALLA! I have a copy." She signed her name to the picture of Kurama and it came to life.

"Hello," the copy of Kurama said as he looked at Yami.

"Wow! He talks too!" The copy of Kurama looked puzzled.

"Of course I can talk. Why would I not? Hey, have you seen Hiei?" he asked.

He has Kurama's memories too? Yami thought.

"Not recently. Come on, lets have some fun before your image crumbles," she said grabbing a hold of the copy's arm.

"What do you mean crumb…"

"YAMI! Where are you!?" she heard Kurama call.

He's back?

"Maybe she found someone else," she heard Hiei say.

Damn you!

She heard no reply from Kurama for Hiei's remark. Looking back at the copy of Kurama, she noticed that he was already starting to fade. In some ways she was relieved, face it, the real thing is always better. The downfall was that she still needs practice on her new ability.

She picked up the sheet of paper and quickly tore it in half. As quickly as the image of Kurama came, it vanished and reappeared on the torn paper.

"I'm over here!" she called to Kurama after hiding the picture. She did not want to explain why she tore it in half, especially after what Hiei said. She did not want Kurama getting the wrong message.

Soon she was in Kurama's strong arms. She loved the way he smelt. It was better that any possible copy of him she could make. She did not want this moment to end, but she could feel Hiei's eyes on them and it make her feel uncomfortable. She steeped back out of Kurama's grasp and looked up into his beautiful green eyes. "So, how did your mission go?" she asked as she took as seat on the park bench. Kurama sat next to her. She wondered where Hiei went; he was no where in sight.

"We managed to capture the minidemon. It was inside of a bakery store owner."

"Bakery store owner?" she asked puzzled.

"Ya. Oh, I almost forgot." He reached into one of his pockets. "I bought this for you while I was there. I know how much you like sweets." He reveals a bag and hands it to Yami. She opens it and inside was an apple fritter and a red rose. Her face begins to glow in delightenment.

"Oh, Kurama! Thank you." She splits the fritter with him and sticks the rose in her hair.

Yusuke walks down the street next to Keiko. It was good to be back and not have to be on one of Koenma's missions. He liked being with Keiko and just be able to relax. But there was always that chance that Koenma might send Botan to inform him of some other crazy mission that Koenma wants him to do. He lets out a sigh.

"Is something wrong, Yusuke?" Keiko asks.

"No. You want to see a movie or some…" He was interrupted by the sounds of shouting and gun shoots. "What is that all about?" His question was soon answered when he saw a girl with cat type ears and tail ran past.

"Is that a youko?" Keiko asked. Before she got a reply, Yusuke ran after the black haired girl.

Keiko is SO going to kill me for doing this to her. But I need to know what is going on.

He followed the girl down the street and saw her enter the park. He had a little trouble getting across the street, but by the time he did, he had lost sign of her.

"Damn!"

"Hey Yusuke, what's bugging you?" Yusuke saw Kuwabara step out from behind a tree.

"What are you doing here?" Yusuke asks.

Kuwabara shrugged. "Just came here to relax, listen to the birds, and such. Why are you here?"

"Did you see a black haired girl run into the park?"

"WHAT? You're breaking up with Keiko? Does she know?"

Yusuke was a little confused. "Uh? No, I am not breaking up with Keiko! She and I saw the girl run past us. She was running from the cops."

"So, you want to find her and turn her in?"

Idiot!

"No, she looked like a youko."

"Like Kurama and Yami?"

"Yes, but I wonder what she is doing here and why she was being chasing by the cops."

"Maybe we should find the others." Kuwabara suggested. Yusuke and Kuwabara left the park to search for the others.

Youko Hoshiko-neko looked back to see if she was still being followed. Seeing no one, she slowed her pace. Why can't I be left alone? She walked deeper into the park until she heard someone. Looking from behind a tree, she saw a young couple. One had long red hair while the other…"Yami?" Hoshiko was surprised to see her closest friend in the human world. What is she doing here and who is that with her? Youko Hoshiko-neko could feel rage build up inside of her. She waited so long to see Yami again and now she knew why Yami never returned, she fell in love with a human boy. Not being able to stand it any more, she rushed at the red haired boy.

Kurama and Yami saw the cat girl run at them. "Rose Whip!" Kurama called. His whip appeared and got ready to swing it when Yami recognized the girl running at them. Hoshiko?

"Kurama! Stop!" She ran in the way of were Kurama was aiming. His eyes grew wide in fright as he saw this and attempted to change the swing of his whip. The whip got Yami's left shoulder and she cried out in pain.

"Yami!" Kurama cried and threw down his whip.

"Yami!" Youko Hoshiko-neko cried at the same time Kurama did. They both reached Yami at the same time.

"I'm so sorry. I did not mean…"

"Stay away from her!" Hoshiko demanded.

"Hoshiko-chan it is okay," Yami said.

"You know her?" Kurama asked confused.

"Y…Yes. OUCH!" Her shoulder hurt and she did not have anything to fight the pain. Kurama put his hand in his hair. Hoshiko hissed in warning and Yami placed her hand on the cats to get her to settle down. Kurama had in his hand a small branch with several leafs on it. He picked the leafs off the branch and placed them over Yami's wound.

"There. Does that feel better?" he asked. Hoshiko ripped part of her outfit and turned it into a sort of band-aid so that the leafs would not fall off.

"Thanks. Both of you." Yami said. "Hoshiko, why are you here, any way?"

Hoshiko lowered her head. "I'm being followed. There are some demons that are after the Star Pendent. I don't see why they would want it though, it doesn't do anything. You know that. I've had it all my life." She then burst into tears.

"No, Hoshiko. Not now, please." Yami gave her friend a hug.

"It would not be safe for you to be going around in your youko form." Kurama started. Hoshiko pulled away from Yami.

"Of course." Right before their eyes the black haired youko transformed into an orange haired elf.

"Not quite what I was talking about." Kurama said. Hoshiko turned to Yami in confusion.

"There are no elves in the human world." Yami explained.

"Oh, easily fixed." Hoshiko placed her hands over her ears and slowly waved them across. When she placed hand back on her lap, her ears were no longer pointed, but round like any humans. "Better?"

"Much," Yami stated. "Now tell us more about these `demons' that were after the Star Pendent."

"Later, Yami. We got to get the others first." Kurama said before Hoshiko got a chance to begin. Yami placed her hand on Kurama's shoulder and knotted her head. They all stood up and left the park.

On top of a near by tree, Hiei saw and over heard everything. "Star Pendent? Hmm. I haven't heard about that in along time." With that, he left the treetops and followed Kurama and the others.

At Kurama's house, after everyone arrived, Hoshiko was introduced to the group. "Everyone, this is my best friend, Hoshiko Rinkan. Hoshiko, this is Keiko." Yami started introducing.

"Hi." Keiko said.

"Yusuke."

"Nice to meet ya!" responded Yusuke.

"Kuwabara."

"Hey!" Kuwabara gave Hoshiko a thumbs up.

"Botan."

"Hello. I hope you like it here," Botan said and winked.

"The quiet one over there by the window is Hiei."

<Silence>

"Hey, Hiei, aren't you going to say anything?" Kuwabara asked. There was a big smirk on his face. Hiei turned to face everyone.

"Why should I?" Hiei responded and turned to look out the window again.

"Uh…"Yami said clueless. "Okay! And lastly, who you already met, Kurama."

"You aren't going to try to attack me again are you?" Kurama asked.

Hoshiko blushed and shook her head. "No. I'm sorry for trying to attack you. I did not know. All I could think about at the time was escape and when I saw you and Yami, I thought she disappeared to be with a human boy. I was so upset and frightened to think. Again I am sorry."

Yusuke could not help but comment. "You almost got your butt kicked by a girl, Kurama?" There was a wide grin on his face. Keiko elbowed him.

"Yusuke quiet!" she whispered.

Hoshiko stood up. "Well it was nice meeting you all, but I can't stay in one place to long. Those demons are sure to track me down." She turns to Yami. "I hope your relationship lasts. Kurama is very lucky to have someone like you." Kurama walks up to Yami and places his arm around her shoulder; she reaches up to touch his hand.

"Thank you. But are you sure you will be okay? What if they do capture you?" Yami asked in concern.

"They have only seen me in youko form. If I stay in this form I should be safe." Hoshiko stated. "I'm going to miss you Yami." She and Yami embrace.

"Ohhhh," everyone, but Hiei, said.

Letting go, Hoshiko left Kurama's place.

As soon as she was gone, Yami turned to everyone. "We can't let those demons get her." Should she tell them about her new ability? She was hoping on waiting, but now was a good time if it met keeping Hoshiko safe. "I want to show you all something that I have been working on." She takes out a picture that she did a day ago. It was a picture of a pegasus.

"Nice picture, but what does it have to do with keeping Hoshiko safe?" Kuwabara asked.

"Watch." She got out her favorite writing pen and signed her name to the picture. Her friends all stood in awe as the picture started to glow. Within moments, a living pegasus stood in Kurama's room.

"Nice ability Yami. But it's taking up room!" Yusuke stated. The winged horse's rear was in his face.

"She's beautiful!" both Keiko and Botan exclaimed, their eyes wide in wonder.

"Could you make one for me?" Kuwabara asked.

Hiei, too, was entranced by the beauty of the pegasus.

But the image did not last long, as the winged horse began to fade.

"What happened? Bring her back. I wanted to ride her!" Kuwabara said.

"I can't. I can only make the image last for only a few moments before it simply crumbles."

"Well, I best be off. I got to report to Lord Koenma. Maybe he can find something on this `Star Pendent.'" Botan left Kurama's and headed for the spirit world.

Yusuke gave a big yawn. "I got to go too. Its getting late and my mom might be worried. Coming Keiko?"

Keiko knotted and turned to face Yami. "For what its worth. I hope that your friend stays safe."

"Thanks Keiko." Keiko turned and left with Yusuke.

Just then, Kuwabara stood up. "I should go to feed my cat." As he past Yami he said, "I hope you get better on that ability. You owe me a pegasus ride." He then left, leaving only Yami, Kurama, and Hiei.

"You have been extremely quiet, Hiei. Is something bugging you?" Kurama asked.

Hiei looked at the couple. "I was just thinking about that Star Pendent that your friend, Hoshiko, wore. Yami, you said that she had it all her life. Where did she get it?"

"Her parents, I guess. She isn't originally from my clan. She is a feline. A panther to be more precise."

"But didn't all of the felines vanish?" Kurama asked.

"Yes, all but her. She was found in a forest, I don't remember its name, thought. She was no older than I was at the time, merely an infant. The people that found her were close friends of my parents. They said that they found her in a basket covered in blankets. Besides that, the only thing she had on her was the Star Pendent, which is how she got her name, Hoshiko Rinkan `Star-child in the forest.' At the time no one knew what it was, they just thought it was her only link to her parents.

"As the years went by, she became frightful. She bearly allowed anyone near her. She was very protective of me since I was her only friend. No one ever heard anything from the felines. My clan had hoped that the felines or at least her parents would be looking for her after so many years, but we never heard anything. A few months ago before my clan was kidnapped and I went into hiding, which is when you met me, she and I promised to go out in search for her clan, in search for the felines that had long vanished. But then my people started to disappear and my mother and father hid me away, here in the human world."

"Why didn't you ever tell me, Yami?" Kurama said with a worried look on his face.

"The day before my people started to get kidnapped, Hoshiko had vanished herself. I was extremely worried. I wanted to go in search for her but my parents would not allow it. They knew how much Hoshiko met to me, but they would not risk me getting captured by those who were kidnapping the members of my clan.

"They told me that as a feline, Hoshiko should be able to handle herself. Over the years, she had mastered the art of archery and swordsmenship. She had also learned how to commune with the animals and use them as her eyes and such if she was in trouble."

Hiei let out a snort. "Well, if she knows all of this stuff, then why do you want us to look after her?" It was a reasonable question.

"Because, only Youko Hoshiko-neko knows these skills. For some reason, when she is in elf form the skills don't remain. It's like she becomes a helpless kitten," Yami explains. "Plus, she really never put her skills to the test."

"Great! An amateur!" Hiei grunted.

"Hey! Shut up!" Yami shouted back.

"Why don't you make me!"

"Okay, children, that's enough." Kurama said quickly getting a sweat drop. Hiei turns away and steps outside. In a flash, he was gone.

"Do you think he will keep an eye on Hoshiko?" Yami asked.

"He does have three after all," Kurama joked. But he was unprepared for the hit in the gut the Yami delivered. He toppled over on the bed and cried out. "Ohhhhh!"

The inner fox in Yami loved what she saw and crawled onto Kurama. "Oh, did I hurt you? My poor baby. Yami will make it all better." She lifts up his shirt and kisses his belly. He moans in pleasure. "Is the pain gone?" she whispered.

"No, it is now in my chest." Yami lifts an eyebrow. She knew what he wanted. (Better then Kurama and Hiei together?)

She moves her hands across his chest and the whole time his moans get louder. "Does that fell good, my fox-love?" The only response she got was his wild moans. He now had his arms wrapped around her and he rolled over so that he was now on top of her. "Oooo," she said excitedly.

"My turn," he said as he started to kiss her. He began to unbutton her blouse, when he got to the last button, she stopped him.

"Just rip it," she said. He smiled down at her. Taking both sides of the blouse, he ripped the last button off. He allowed Yami to take off his shirt and she loved the sight of his muscles and broad chest. They make love all night, forgetting all about the problems of the next day.

While Yami and Kurama made love, Hiei caught up with Hoshiko. "I usually don't say this, but I'm sorry for the way I acted earlier. I actually think…uh…." What was wrong with him? He has never acted like this before. Maybe it is the Star Pendent? Maybe it put some sort of spell on him? Oh, don't be silly, no sort of magical object can do that to me.

"You think what? What is it Hiei? I have only one concern and that is staying out of the clutches of those demons that are after my pendent. I still don't know why anyone would want it. It doesn't do anything. If it did I would have noticed long time ago."

No, this can't be happening! I have always kept my emotions in check. Why does an orange haired elf make me feel so strange?

"Well, good night Hiei," Hoshiko said as she walked into the park.

"You're sleeping in the park?" Hiei asked startled.

"Yes. What's wrong with that?"

"If you are going to play human, you might as well start acing like one," he stated.

"Did I say that I wanted to play human?" she says this as she turns into her animal form and runs into the park, leaving Hiei where she left him.

"I wish I knew more about cats." He took to the treetops.

The demons that were after Hoshiko's Star Pendent finally reached the human world and disguised themselves as humans. "Ame, I sense the Star Pendent. It is some distance from here, but is here in the human world. That much I can be sure of," explained Ame's first in command, Arubamu.

"Thank you. I heard that Koenma's lackeys lived here in the human world. I hope we come across them. I would hate to find the pendent and not get a chance to fight these `Spirit Detectives.' Let's go, I want to get something to munch before we confront that youko. I heard that human taste extremely good." The demons walked into the shadows to await their meal.

The next morning Yusuke's mom gave a shriek as she sat watching the news. "Yusuke! Are you here?"

"Yes, Mom," he replied from his room.

"Come in here, quickly," something in her voice did make him come fast. The reporter was saying something about people suddenly getting strange bite marks on their neck and arms. That is could be the work of some vampire cult. But what caught Yusuke attention was that the girl that some paramedics were putting into the ambulance looked like Keiko.

"Keiko!" he said aloud. He turns to his mom. "What else did the reporter say?!"

"She said that Keiko was not the only case. That the attacks been happening since last night."

The demons that are after Hoshiko? Are they the ones that are doing this? Vampire demons? I need to talk to the others.

Yusuke turns to his mom. "I'm going to see if Keiko is okay. If anyone calls tell them that I'm not here, okay?" His mom did not reply but stared at the T.V. Yusuke left the house and was meet by Kuwabara.

"You heard didn't you?" Kuwabara asked. Yusuke knotted. "Mind if I go with you?"

"Sure," Yusuke said. "Do you know who else was attacked?"

"There were a few girls from our school that I heard are in the same condition," Kuwabara informed.

"So, whoever these demons are, they only seem to go after teenage girls." Yusuke observed. "You think that they are the same that are after Hoshiko?"

Kuwabara shrugged. "Whose to say. The only one that would know that would be Hoshiko herself. But I haven't seen her yet." He paused. "Do you thing she's cute?"

"What? Who?" Yusuke asked after coming out of his thoughts about Keiko.

"Hoshiko. Do you think she's cute?" Kuwabara repeated.

"I…uh…I don't know. Ya, I guess."

"The thing with Keiko must really be eating at you, Man."

"I just hope she is okay." They set off into a run.

In the Spirit World, Botan had given her report to Lord Koenma and now he was in the library doing research of the `Star Pendent.' George came in and asked Koenma if he wanted any help. "Yes, you can start with that shelf over there," Koenma said pointing to the over side over the library. After much searching, Koenma found a book on magical pendants and jewelry.

He took it back to his office and turned to the index. "Star Pendent…Star Pendent…Ah, here we go! Page 34,321." He turns to the indicated page and starts to read. "'The Star Pendent was created by Asa Chikai, a tiger youko of the feline clan. She spend many years crafting the pendent and used much of her spirit energy to give it the power it has… In order to keep it from the wrong hands, she designed it so that only felines and those with a true heart can possess the pendent, but…The pendent is able to give the wearer the ability to step through different dimensions, places that Asa herself have discovered, as well as enhance the abilities that the wearer already has…'" Koenma was unable to finish, because much of the of the inscription was faded.

"Is that enough for the spirit detectives to work with?" George asked looking over Koenma's shoulder. Koenma slams the book shut.

"Get Botan!" He tells George.

When Botan arrives, Koenma is again trying to make out the part of the inscription that talked about who all can handle the pendent, but he does not have very good luck. "What did you want, Lord Koenma? There is a problem on Earth that I was looking into," she explains her lateness.

"What?" he asks not really hearing her. "Oh, yes. Come here, I was wondering if you can make this out." Botan walks around the desk to stand beside Koenma so that she may get a better look at the book he was reading.

She squinted her eyes in attempt to make out the words in front of her. "`…but…, there are those…who are able…to handle the pendent…and use its power for evil prepossess, thought they often get more than they…bargain for. A rift in time and space will open and the evil will be drawn to it and be lost forever…'"Botan read. She looks at Koenma. "What does this mean?" she asks.

"It means that Hoshiko may yet prevail." Koenma said. "She was the one that I saw falling when I was looking out my window, wasn't she?" he asked.

"Falling?"

"Yes, a day ago I was enjoying the scenery from my window and this green ball of spirit energy fell from the demon world. I thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me, until you told me about her."

"Oh. Well I had better tell Yusuke what I learned," Botan said as she summons forth her oar. She rode off, leaving Koenma with all the work he was getting behind on.

In the local hospital, Yusuke, Kuwabara, Yami, and Kurama stood by Keiko's bed. Though no one would say any wrong, they could hear Yusuke slightly crying. Yami puts her arm around Yusuke. "I'm sure she will be okay. We will get the demons who did this to her and to all the their victims." The only response she got was Yusuke wiping his eyes with his sleeve like some little kid.

"Yami, maybe we should go. Yusuke needs to be alone with Keiko," Kurama said as he lead Yami out of the hospital room.

Kuwabara watched them go and turned to Yusuke. "Do you want me to go too?"

"No. I could use some company right now. The monster that did this to Keiko will pay," Yusuke said clenching his hand. "I won't sleep until he, she, or it is dead!"

"Whoa, man! Don't get so worked up! I know how you feel, but we should think this though. These demons may or may not be the ones after Hoshiko and if they are we need to find her to ask her what she knows about them." Kuwabara said.

He did make sense. But could he really just leave Keiko here unprotected? Yusuke was not sure if the demons would come back to feed off Keiko again. But if they did, he wanted to be here to greet them and give them a good pounding.

"You go find her. I'm going to stay here with Keiko. I want to be ready for if they decide to come back to finish their meal."

"Okay. I'll come back if I find out anything." Kuwabara left Yusuke alone in the hospital room with an unconscious Keiko.

Hiei had heard about what happened to Keiko and some other girls. Out of all demons, the `leeches' as he called them, were his least favorite. Though he never confronted one before, they were known for feeding off youkos. But by what he heard, they went into hiding after their main source of food, the feline youkos, vanished. Did they hide from the `leeches' within the Star Pendent that Hoshiko carries? Is that why they want it so bad; so that they could get to their main food source? Hiei asked his self. He liked Hoshiko, he would admit that much. He did not want to see the `leeches' get their slimy hands on her or the pendent. Is that all the pendent does, hide away the feline clan? Hiei jumps from rooftop to rooftop until he reaches the park. "Is she here?" he says to the air. Jumping onto the ground, he enters the park.

Hoshiko saw it all over the news. Young girls being attack and having bite marks on their necks and arms. She knew that the demons had finally caught up with her. Damn! She wished she knew what this stupid pendent does. She walked down the street toward the park where she has taken residence. She knew that if they were here, than the one called Arubamu would be able to sniff her out. But she was not if youko form so maybe he wouldn't, unless he had the scent of the...

"Hoshiko!" someone called. Hoshiko turned around to see Yami and Kurama. "We finally found you," Yami said out of breath. Kurama did not have a hint of sweat on his face, even if it was hot out.

"What is it? It's about the girls isn't it? Before you ask, yes, it is the work of the demons that are after me. I can't stay here any more. I have to find a place were no one else will get hurt because of me."

"Hoshiko, it's not your fault. Don't blame yourself. It's just like you. Everything bad that happens you are always ready to blame yourself, taking the responsibility for the actions of others. Well, as your best friend, I am telling you not to do it!"

Hoshiko was tooken back by Yami's statement. Just then, she felt a gush of wind. When she looked down, she saw that Hiei had joined them. "You disappeared last night. I usually don't have trouble finding people, but you are tricky to locate."

Hoshiko had no idea what he was talking about. Then she remembered leaving him when she turned to her animal form.

"Thanks, I think."

The next thing that surprises everyone is when Hiei says, "Do you mind joining me for some hot chocolate and donuts?" You then see Kurama's and Yami's mouths open wide. Hiei turns to them. "Is there something wrong with giving someone an invitation?" Both Kurama and Yami shake their heads. Hoshiko is just standing there speechless. Hiei turns back to her. "Well? What do you say?"

Hoshiko looks at Yami for support. Yami responses by giving Hoshiko a thumbs up and winking. Hoshiko turns back to Hiei. "Okay." She and Hiei leave Yami and Kurama and head down the street.

"Have you ever seen that before?" Yami asks Kurama. He shakes his head.

"Nope. At least with him she will be safe, so don't worry. I trust Hiei."

"Your right. Want to go back to your place?" Yami asks sweetly.

"Are you thinking what I think your thinking?"

"Perhaps."

"Okay, then. Let's go. I'll race you!" Kurama sets out in a run with Yami close on his tail.

Kuwabara spent all day looking for Hoshiko. When he found her, it was enough to send him into a fright. He found her sitting in a donut shop and with her was Hiei. What's going on? Hoshiko and Hiei? I don't believe my eyes. Since when have they been seeing each other? Kuwabara asked himself. He was trying to decide if he should go in anyway and ask her about the demons, when he heard a yell. Evidently, Hoshiko and Hiei heard it as well, because they now were outside the donut shop standing beside Kuwabara.

"They're here!" Hoshiko said. Hiei and Kuwabara did not need to ask whom, because soon a figure steps out of the shadows with a ten-year-old girl in his arms.

"I finally found you. I, Ame, told you that I would stop at nothing to have that pendent. Oh, I could hardly wait to sink my teeth into that wonderful flesh of the felines. As soon as I get that pendent, you will have the honor of being the first to give your life's essence." The demon paused as if he was thinking about something. He turned to Kuwabara and Hiei. "Unless someone is willing to take her place? She is a beauty isn't she? Have you ever seen her in her youko form? No? That's too bad. That's when they taste the best. Well, anyone wish to take her place?" For a moment there was silence, then Kuwabara stepped forward.

"You have to go through me to get to her!"

"Playing the hero, I see." He turns to Hiei. "What about you, midget?"

Kuwabara gasp when the demon named Ame said that. He quickly looked over at Hiei.

"What did you call me, Leech?" Hiei demanded in rage. Energy started to build up around him.

"Not so fast!" Ame said. He used the girl as a shield. "Do you truly want to miss me and hit the girl instead? Such youth. What a waste." When he saw that Hiei was `powering down,' he threw the girl.

As Kuwabara tried to save the girl and Hiei was distracted, Ame quickly grabbed Hoshiko. She was only able to let out a shriek before she and the demon disappeared.

Kuwabara manages to save the girl and then hears Hiei say, "DAMN

!"

"Yami isn't going to like this," Kuwabara stated. He and Hiei race to Kurama's place, with, of course, Hiei in the lead.

Ame rematerializes on a rooftop and lets go of Hoshiko. She soon finds herself surrounded by the vampires. "You'll like this. All those girls that were my victims, will now wake and feed off the city." He rose his arms. "Awake my children!" He then smiled at Hoshiko. "Ok. Now be a good girl and hand over the pendent. We promise that you won't feel a thing as we feed on you. Actually, by what I understand, many of our past victims had liked it. Just hand over the pendent first," Ame said. He and his fellow vampires moved in closer. Hoshiko started to panic. She let out a loud scream.

"YOU WHAT?!" Yami shouted at Kuwabara and Hiei.

"Yami…" Kurama tried to calm her down, but her rage was more than he could handle.

"It's not our fault. Would you rather the kid die?" Hiei said almost heartlessly.

"He was using her as a shield and the next thing we knew he threw her and when I tried to catch her, the demon that called himself, Ame grabbed Hoshiko and took off with her." By this time, Kuwabara had tears in his eyes.

"Yami, cut them some slack. They tried their best. But we have to find Hoshiko before this Ame can get the Star Pendent." Kurama said. He finds that his words started to calm her.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you." She gets out her pack and rustles through some papers; soon she pulls out a picture of a griffin. "I have been working on my new ability and now I have it down to three hours. The griffin will fly us above the city so that we can find her easier."

"What about Yusuke?" Hiei asks.

"He's still with Keiko. He hasn't left her side all day."

"We'll just have to do this without him," Kurama stated calmly. Hiei agrees. "Okay, Yami."

She knots her head. She walks out to the balcony. Getting out her pen; she signs her name to the picture. Within moments, the griffin comes to life.

"Amazes me every time!" Kuwabara says as he looks at the griffin. "Does it bite?" he asks as he walks up to it. The griffin eyes him and then snaps. Kuwabara falls back on his ass. The others laugh, Hiei the loudest.

Kurama looks over at Hiei. "Feeling better?"

Hiei stops laughing and looks at Kurama. "We waste time the longer we linger." He mounts the griffin and waits for the others.

Kurama shakes his head. Yami rolls her eyes. They both help Kuwabara to his feet. They all mount the griffin and with a single command by Yami, it sets up into the air.

Yusuke was still at the hospital standing by Keiko's side. "I'm hungry. Hungry. So hungry," he heard Keiko whisper. At least that's what it sounded like.

"Keiko, are you okay? Keiko speak to me!"

"Hungry." It was a little louder but he still had trouble making it out. He bent over so that his ear was over her mouth. "I...," he heard.

"What? What do you want?"

Just than he felt her arm around him as if she was drawing him near. The next few moments happened so fast. Keiko tried to bite him. In his attempts to brake free of her grasp, he fell to the floor. She sat up and looked at him, but it was not her eyes he saw, but the eyes of a hungry predator. `Hungry.' That's what she was saying. And that was the type of look she was giving him at this moment. If she was like this, than the rest of the girls…"Oh, crap!" he explained. "Just what we need, the walking dead!"

"Yusuke! Yusuke! Where are you?" he heard someone call. Soon Botan showed up. "The place is crawling with…'she saw Keiko, "THE UNDEAD!"

"Is there any way to reverse this?" he asked Botan.

"Oh, sure there is," she replied with a smirk, forgetting that Keiko was there.

"Well, how?" Yusuke asked desperately.

Botan gets out her book. "Oh, no! You mean you don't know? Here we are in a building surrounding by the walking dead, my girlfriend being one of them, and all you can do at a time like this is read!"

"Just a moment. Ah! BINGO!" she exclaims. Yusuke gets a sweat drop.

"So, what does it say?"

"What?" Botan asks innocently.

"The book! What does it say about saving Keiko and the other girls?"

"Oh, I don't know. I just found a wonderful recipe for garlic soup!" She shows Yusuke the page. "See?"

"This is no time for cooking class! Do you know how we are going to save Keiko?"

"Sure I do," Botan replied.

"Well…"

"Kill the master."

"Kill the one who did this to her?"

"Yes. Or make it so that he loses his control on the girls."

"How do we do that?"

"I don't know."

"You are not being any help, Botan!"

"Hungry. Want food." Keiko says as she walks up to Botan.

"Down, Girl!" She hits Keiko over the head and Keiko passes out. "Bring her. We got to catch up with the others," she says. She summons her oar. She and Yusuke get on, with Keiko in between them. "Hold on tight!" Botan warns as they fly off.

They finally find Hoshiko, but the griffin has already started to fade, so Yami orders it to land. On the ground, the last of the griffin fades and a sheet of paper flutters to the ground. Yami picks it up and places it back in her bag. "There she is!" Kuwabara said pointing to a nearby rooftop.

"Hiei, the honor is all yours," Kurama says. Hiei is just about to jump when they hear the sound of someone shouting. Soon Botan and Yusuke show up. Yusuke places Keiko on the sidewalk and goes to join the others. "Thanks for joining us," Kurama says.

"How is she?" Yami asks, looking over at the sleeping Keiko.

"She is being controlled be those that attacked her."

"Mind control? Of course!" Hiei says.

"Shouldn't someone try to save Hoshiko, instead of standing here, yaking your jaws off?!" Yami cried.

On the rooftop, Hoshiko stood at the edge of the roof. "My, doesn't this scene look familiar? Oh yes. This is how you escaped me the last lime, but not again." Ame approached her, a wide grin on his face. "Hand over the pendent and all this madness will be forgotten."

"Why should I believe you?"

"You have no choice. I know that since you are in that form, you can die if you were to fall. Then I will get the pendent anyway. Wouldn't you want to live? If you give me the pendent now, you can just walk way, until we come for you, after we finished with your clan. But if you jump, you will die and I'll have the pendent anyway, which sounds better?"

"Neither!" she said. "WIND BOW!" A loaded bow appeared in her hands. She drew back the string and released. The arrow hit Arubamu, who stood next to Ame.

"Arubamu!" Ame watched as his friend and lover turned into a pile of dust. Hoshiko's bow faded. "Why you little brat!" He rushed at her. Gripping the Star Pendent, the force of his hand, caused Hoshiko to lose her stepping and she fell backwards. The chain snapped and Ame held the Star Pendent high above his head, laughing like a lunatic.

Everyone below gasp as they watched what happen. "Someone save her!" Was all Yami could say. Botan was staring at the Star Pendent so she never noticed. The guys all ran forward to try to catch Hoshiko. (I know that either Kurama or Hiei could have easily have caught her, but it would ruin the rest of the story.)

She could not believe that this was happening twice in just a few days. She turned her body so that her arms and legs were facing the ground. Please let me turn. Please. I won't survive this in my currant form. Youko, panther, I don't care! The ground was coming to meet her quickly and she was still in her elf form. TURN! DAMN IT! She then noticed the transformation that was taking place. She felt her bones shift in order to handle her new form. She watched as her clothes dissolved and it their place was beautiful black fur. Her eyesight became more acute, as well as her hearing as her elf ears vanished and cat ears took their place. The last thing she felt was her tail. It wagged excitedly as she landed on a pile of bodies.

Kurama opened his eyes to see the face of a panther. He found himself on the ground with 175 pounds of cat weight on top of him. Next to him laid Hiei, Kuwabara, and Yusuke. She was laying on all four of them. All the excitement wore her out and the guys found out that she had fallen asleep over top of them..

"You all look so cute!" Yami teased.

"Oh no!" Botan said ruining the mood. Everyone looked up to see that Ame was doing some sort of chanting. After it was finished, he threw the pendent and a vortex formed.

"An endless supply of food! Come my friends! Let's feast!" He and the other vampires ran into the vortex and it quickly closed behind them.

Botan started to laugh.

"What's so funny, Botan? They are going to slaughter Hoshiko's family!" Yami shouted.

"What's going on?" Everyone looked over to see that Keiko had regained consciousness. "Yusuke, why is there a big cat on top of you?" At this time, the pendent hits the pavement and shatters. Another vortex appears.

"Are they coming back?" Kuwabara said after he and the others manages to get out from on top on the sleeping cat. Hoshiko wakes up and is now in her youko form.

Everyone stares into the vortex and stand in fighting potion incase anything comes out. Soon they see many figures start to emerge from within the vortex.

"OH NO! IT'S AN INVATION!" cried Kuwabara.

But the only thing that came out of the vortex was a group of youko of all ages.

"The lost felines," Botan whispers just loud enough for Yami to hear.

"Hoshiko's family?"

The youkos look around in confusion and wonder. Soon the vortex disappears and standing before the spirit detectives is a clan of about 30 something feline youkos. One couple franticly looks around and then spot Hoshiko.

"Haru? Is that you?" Something in that name sounded familiar to Hoshiko. She stands up to face the couple before her.

"Mamma? Poppa?" she asked, unsure of her self. She felt like a lost kitten and it frightened her. The couple knotted their heads. "Why?" she asked. The couple looks at each other then turn to a tiger youko who was clearly the leader, who knotted her head.

"We didn't want to leave you behind. But it was impossible to take the Star Pendent with us through the vortex. Our leader, Asa, choose you to bear the pendent, because the vampires that hunted us were unable to pick up the spirit of a child. You were the youngest and the best one to carry out this task. We left you in the forest of another youko clan. We hoped that they would find you and take you in and raise you. We hoped that one day you would learn the secrets of the Star Pendent and bring us back into the world."

"I…" Hoshiko fell into her parents arms and cried.

"Haru. Our little Haru." Her parents stroked her black hair.

"Haru? Is that my true name?"

"Yes. What have you been called?"

"Hoshiko Rinkan," she replied.

"Hoshiko? That's a beautiful name." They hugged once again

She and her parents stayed like that for a while.

Yami began to cry just seeing how happy her best friend was. Kurama walked up to her and put his arm around her. "Are you ok?" he asked as he followed her glaze to Hoshiko and her parents. "Her grandest wish has been grated. To find out who she is and where she belongs." Kurama said.

"I'm…it's just that I'm going to miss her. We were more than best friends. We grew up as sisters. I'm just afraid that I will never see her again!" she fell into Kurama's arms and cried on his shoulder. He cuddles her tightly.

"Shhh… I'm sure you and Hoshiko will still be close friends. Friendships like the one you and Hoshiko share will never break, no matter what happens."

Yami stopped crying just long enough to say, "Thank you." She looks up into Kurama's eyes and he brought his face down toward hers. Soon they were locked in a compassionate and magical kiss.

It did not last long, because Hoshiko walked up them, followed by her parents and younger sister. "Yami, I want you to meet my parents, Yayoi and Kazushi Yatate. These two are my baby sisters, Natsu and Fuyu. " Hoshiko said holding up one of the little cat girls, who was busy playing with her older sister's hair. The other one was tugging on Hoshiko's outfit.

"My turn! Pick me up! I want up!" the one called Fuyu demanded.

"Aren't they cute!"

Yami felt happy for Hoshiko. The same girl that she grew up with, who was in a way her sister, now has found her way home. Yet, there was a sadness inside of Yami herself. Does this mean that she will never see Hoshiko again? What does this mean for their friendship? She hoped that nothing changes between them.

She watches as Kurama takes Hoshiko's other little sister, the one demanding attention, and places her on his shoulder. Little Fuyu starts to fiddle with his hair like her twin sister did Hoshiko's. "Hey! Now stop that!" he tells the little cat girl with a laugh.

"Foxy!" Fuyu says and giving Kurama a hug.

Yami meets Hoshiko's eyes and they both brake into laughter. Natsu kisses Hoshiko's cheek. "Sissy kitty!"

"Hey! Does anyone know what happen to those demons after they entered the vortex?" Kuwabara asks. The leader of the felines, Asa, turns to him.

"Where ever they are, we will not see them again."

In another dimension, the vampires look around them in disappointment. "Hey Boss, I thought you said that we would find the Felines here? If so, then where are they?" asked one to the less intelligent vampires.

"Your mind is as small as a nut! We were tricked, understand? And worse yet, there is no way back," Ame told everyone.

"Never get back? But we will starve! I'm hungry!" whined another demon.

"Then go! Go see what you can find! Good luck!"

"All by my self?" the demon asked in fear.

"Oh, shut up you baby!" Ame said. This lasts for a while.

Back in the human world, Yami and Hoshiko are saying good-bye. "You will come and visit sometime won't you? Don't want Hiei to end up missing you." Everyone, plus Hiei, laugh at Yami's remark.

"I'll try. But I got so much of catching up with my parents to do."

"When you do come and visit, bring Fuyu and Natsu. I think they are just the cutest!" Keiko said with Fuyu in her arms. Yusuke had trouble with Natsu; she kept trying to use his as a scratching post.

"Stop that! Couldn't you use someone else as a scratching post?" Yusuke pleaded with the girl.

"They certainly gets around, don't they?" Kurama said. Again everyone, but Yusuke this time, laughs.

Hoshiko takes Fuyu and Natsu, who tries to bite Hoshiko's ears. After restraining the girl, she turns to leave.

"Hoshi, wait!" Yami called. Hoshiko turns around. "What is the name that your parents had given you?"

"Haru!" Hoshiko responded.

"That's a nice name. Why don't you use that?"

"Because, I'm accustomed to `Hoshiko'!" With that Hoshiko, Natsu, and Fuyu leaves to the demon world where her parents waited.

"It's going to be strange without her," Yami said aloud, not really speaking to anyone.

"I think we all got accustomed to having her around," Kurama said. "Come on, I'll make us all some lunch." Everyone turns and head over to Kurama's.

When everyone finally leaves, Kurama decides to ask Yami a question that has been floating in his head for the last few weeks. Getting down on his knees in front of Yami, he reveals a small box that he had hidden in his hair. He asks, "My dearest and sweetest Yami, you have always met the world to me and I was wondering," he opens the box, "will you marry me?" The ring is gold with a ruby that was cut to resemble a rose.

Yami is caught completely off guard. She was not expecting this. Oh, how she loved him. She looks into his emerald green eyes and says, "You bet, Fox-tails!" He slips the ring onto her finger and they kiss ever so tenderly.

The End

Next: Third Eye Blind

13

16