Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ the necklace ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*Shit! I'll be late for Biology! Oh well, that could have gone a bit better* Kurama thought as he ran to get to class.

"All right settle down everyone! Now, we will be working in pairs! Kaito and Yaminoki are a pair, Kechiko and Minamino are a pair," and so on the pairs went as Tatamo-sensei started class. A few moans could be heard from the collection of students, Serenity among them. "Now, we will be naming as many bones in the human body as you can."

After giving the students a look that said: "it won't kill you!" they got into their pairs.

"So, how many bones do you know the name of on the top of your head?" asked Kurama.

"Most of them. As long as we get a good grade and were finished fast, I don't care what happens," said Serenity.

This went on the whole class period so Kurama and Serenity didn't quite finish the project. After class Kurama meet up with Serenity.

"I will come to your house after school because I have to drop off my brother," said Kurama.

"Why?" said Serenity.

"To finish our project together." Said Kurama.

"Fine" said Serenity as she walked away.

"See you later, Serenity!" Kurama said waving away but Serenity acted like she didn't even hear him.

After a long day of school, Serenity walked home thinking *Why do I have to be with him? O well at least I will get a good grade on the project! * She got to the dojo to find her cousin, Ruri, painting.

"Hey Ruri, what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at school? Don't tell me that you skipped class again." said Serenity.

"HA! Unlike you, I don't have school eight hours a day for five days a week! I didn't skip; I just don't have classes today. Hn!" Ruri crossed her arms and frowned at the accusing.

"Well, anyway, someone from my biology class is coming over to work on our project. We'll be in the living room, ok?" Serenity said, her voice sounding apologetically.

"Uhhhh, is it a boy!? Maybe I should chaperone? You can never be too sure." Ruri had a huge grin on her face before running into the drawing room laughing.

Serenity walked to the door as the bell rang and let Kurama in.

"Konnichi wa, Serenity."

"Konnichi wa, Suichi." The two walked into the living room and began working on their project.

"Ano, Serenity? Can I ask you something?"

"Nani?"

"I've never seen your parents around. Why is that?" Kurama was a little nervous about asking her, just incase she blew up at him.

"……….They're dead."

"Oh, gomen ne." Silence was the only sounds in the room. It started getting late, as they near finished the project. "Oyasumi nasai, Serenity. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Oyasumi, Suichi."

The next day…

"I will be back late tonight. I have to stay and work on a project with," Serenity started, but Ruri interrupted her.

"With Suichi?" said Ruri smiling.

"Will you stop with that?!? When I get back you are in trouble," said Serenity.

Serenity left to go to school, which was boring like always. After school Suichi and Serenity stayed after to work on their project.

"That's wrong, Suichi," said Serenity.

"I'm right, ok?" Suichi replied.

"Fine, be wrong for all I care," answered Serenity. "Hey, do you hear something?"

"Kurama! Kurama! Where the hell are you?! I know you're here Kurama!" a male's voice shouted.

"KURAMA!" a man with orange hair and an ugly face ran into the lab. "Kurama! Koenma wants us in Reikai!" Serenity looked back and forth between the two, confused. Kuwabaka /sorry! I had to! / noticed Serenity, a confused look on his face. "Who's she?"

"Kuwabara-kun, this is Serenity. Serenity, this is Kuwabara." Serenity picked up her books and left saying "I'll leave you to Koenma in Reikai."

Before Kurama could say a word, Serenity left.

"What was that about???" asked Kuwabaka.

"Forget about it, Kuwabara-kun. Let's go see what Koenma wants from us."

"Oh, okay."

When they arrived at Koenma's office, Yusuke and Hiei were already waiting inside. Yusuke was leaning against the desk; Hiei was standing in a corner looking bored.

"Thank you for coming. Pay close attention. There is a youkai loose in Ningenkai. His name is Gotomi and he is looking for a magical item, though I am not sure of what it is. All I have found out is that this item is in the Tokyo area, at an old shrine." Koemna's toddler face looked worried.

"Lets split up and look around." Kurama spoke as he looked at the others. They all nodded and left in different directions.

Kurama walked up the stairs to a shrine to see Serenity.

"Who's Koenma and what's the Reiaki?" was the first thing out of her mouth.

"It's just some game that some of my friends and I play." Kurama answered as he looked around.

"What are you looking for?"

"Umm, just an old shrine."

"Good luck" and with that Serenity turned and left for home.

"Tadaima!"

"Okaedi, Seren-chan! How was your day?" Ruri asked, walking out of the kitchen.

"First school sucked! Then Suichi ran off halfway through the rest of our project for `some game' than he said he was looking for an old shrine and I came home." Serenity said, looking annoyed. "Anyways, I'm going to bed. Oyasumi, Ruri."

"Oyasumi, Seren-chan!" *heehee, Seren loves a Kitsune!!* Ruri knew!

Sighing, Serenity collapsed on her bed and fell asleep, not noticing the youkai slip in to kidnap her! The only evidence of the kidnapping was a note on the side table that read:

If you ever want to see this ningen alive,

Bring me the three items of darkness!

I will be keeping the magic necklace around the lass's neck.

The next day……/sounds kinda tacky if you ask me/

Yawning, Ruri got out of bed and started to get ready for some classes. Taking a chug of her coffee, she looked around and noticed Serenity wasn't there. "The kid must of left for school early again. Damn them morning people. I just want to sleep in! Oh fuck! I'm going to be late!" /I don't sleep. I wake up at four every morning. Its kinda fucked up/

Setting her keys on the table, Ruri went to make a pot of coffee after a boring day of classes. Taking a few sips, she sat down to read the paper she hadn't had time for in the morning. Just as she folded it back up and set the paper on the table, the doorbell rang. Opening the door, she saw Kurama and Suichi standing outside.

"Come on in! You got great timing."

"Arigatou. Ano, Ruri-san?"

"Just call me Ruri. San sounds too formal for me."

"Ok. Um, is Serenity all right? She didn't come to school today."

"She left this morning before I got up. She does that a lot. School starts too early." /AMEN TO THAT!!! / The three went into the kitchen as Kurama started asking about the shrine. So far he learned that Seren's parents had owned it and after they died, she came to help her cousin out, because Serenity needed help to guard the magical item in her possession. "It was supposed to be me that was to be the guardian of the necklace, but they thought I might lose it. I'm older then Seren, so my power is a little more fine-tuned than hers. When it comes to auras, she sees them but doesn't know the difference form, oh lets say, a ningen to a kitsune." Ruri looked at Kurama as she said this, a small smile on her face. Ignoring the kitsune remark, Kurama started looking around.

"Where is this necklace?"

"Around Seren-chan's neck of course, why?" shaking his head, Kurama began looking around the house. He stopped at the note in Serenity's room. Ruri came in behind him. Kurama pulled out his cell phone and called Koenma.

"Koenma, I found it, but.." Ruri grabbed the phone and hung up, looking annoyed and serious.

"What's going on? Where is SEREN!?!"

"I need to go meet with Koenma. I'll give you details later."

"I'm coming."

"You can't"

"I'm coming, Kitsune, and there's nothing you're going to do to stop me!" Ruri was shouting now, determined not to let Kurama get away.

"…… All right. But then you have to tell me how you know I'm a kitsune," and with that they put on the TV for Suichi and told him to behave, that there was food in the fridge. They left for Koenma's. Once everyone was in the demigod's office, Kurama started to explain the story, until he reached the necklace part.

"Mind and Soul"

All of them jumped and turned to Ruri. "Mind and Soul. The necklace is named Mind and Soul. It has the power to take some one's mind and soul, and give their strengths to the holder. The victim then becomes a mindless slave, knowing nothing but to obey its master. The more it takes, the smarter and stronger the wielder will become. When you're a victim, your memories are transferred as well, making everyone you know a target." Ruri shook her head, trying to clear old memories of her parents and her aunt and uncle. They had been destroyed by a demon after the necklaces powers.

"Let's split up to look for them. Hiei, Ruri and I will take the Makai. Yusuke, you and Kuwabara-kun take Ningenkai. Meet back here in eight hours." Once done talking, they all left in opposite ways. After about three hours wandering Makai, Ruri stopped.

"What are you doing, ningen? This isn't a rest stop." Hiei said as he turned to look at her.

"Seren's close. Two miles ….that way." Ruri pointed a little left of the path they were on. "And I'm not weak, Fire boy!" Hiei looked shocked.

"FIRE BOY!?! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU…?!?" Hiei started to yell but was cut off.

"Why is your aura so hard to read? Half looks some what like a fire demon, half looks like………Koorime?" Ruri was staring at Hiei intently, trying to read the strange aura.

"THAT'S NONE OF YOU FUCKING BUISNESS, NINGEN!"

"Hiei! Calm down! We have to find Serenity before Gotomi finds out how to use the necklace!"

"Hn! Let's go Kitsune, Koorime. We're getting close." Ruri started to run ahead, Hiei and Kurama following close behind. Within a few minutes, a clearing came into view. Three ugly youkai was standing next to a tree, where a girl was tied, gagged, and blindfolded. Ignoring the two behind her, Ruri charged the demons. Drawing her sword, she sliced one youkai in half, going straight through the heart. Hiei drew his sword as well and chopped one into millions of pieces. Ruri went after a third but before Ruri could behead the demon it shouted.

"KOBITAMIE!!!!!! HELP-" but it's hard to talk once your head is off.

Kurama took out his grass blade and cut Serenity loose as Hiei and Ruri disposed of the corpses, talking about swords and the best ways to kill a youkai like Gotomi, Yukone, and Sakuchi (these are the three demons' names). Once freed, Serenity ran and hugged her cousin, who stood there a little shocked and mortified. /hugs aren't my thing k? /

"Thanks for coming to save me, Ruri." said Serenity gratefully.

"It was nothing and if I didn't come and save you I would have no one to pick on. Lets just go home now," said Ruri smiling.

"Whatever. Who is that?" said Serenity pointing at Hiei. "He has a different aura, like two."

"That's Hiei. He's a.." started Kurama but Hiei cut him off.

"Hn. Lets go." said Hiei

Walking back Ruri and Hiei walked ahead of Kurama and Serenity. Ruri and Hiei were talking about demons, swords, and fighting styles. Kurama and Serenity just walked quietly behind. Finally Serenity broke the silence.

"Thank you for saving me." Serenity said looking away.

"Don't worry about it. As long as you are safe there is nothing to worry about," said Kurama. "Ummm…. Serenity?"

"Yea?"

"Are you able to sense my aura?"

"I can sense it, but can't read it."

Meanwhile, up ahead, Hiei was talking with Ruri. He was telling her about the fights in the Dark Tournament. They soon made their way back to the dojo were the others were waiting. When inside they begin to introduce everyone.

" The baka over there is Kuwabara." Hiei started but was cut off by Kurama.

" The girl in the kimono is Boton, Yusuke is the one with the green uniform and the gelled back hair. Minna, this is Ruri and Serenity."

"Yo! How's it going?" Yusuke was the first to greet them.

"I'm NOT a BAKA, SHRIMP!!!!!!! Come here and say that to my face!!!" Kuwabaka shouted.

"Hn! Alright then, you're an ugly baka ningen."

Serenity started to giggle a little. After the