Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Shadows around Me ❯ Frail: My Birth ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Frailty: My Birth

My birth was a troubled one, and as in infant I became very ill. My parents were surprised when actually made it to my first birthday. Yet, the unknown sickness that had racked my body left permanent effects. It stunted my growth and left me with a sickly pale skin tone. Skin that should have been tanned was now a deathly pale color. Instead of dark hair, I was left with a bizarre dark grey colored hair that hung limply down the sides of my face in half-hearted ringlets.

Mother named me Ando, after her father. She always looked after me, but father never really seemed to care for me the way I wanted. Perhaps my weakness seemed to be some king of insult from the god. It wasn't long before it was made clear that I was a rather useless member of the family- my frail form preventing me from helping father on the farm.

How harsh it must seem to realize that from the moment you were born- your own father viewed you as a mistake or a useless creature. He never said this to me- most likely to not upset Mother.

My mother tended the house while father worked outside in the fields or was hunting for food. I spent a lot of time with her- so we became close to one another.

Once, she finally asked me why I was unhappy. I told her that I knew father did not want me. She attempted to console me with words of how he actually did care for me. But I know that she was wrong- I didn't think she was intentionally lying, but I knew that she wasn't aware of the animosity I felt from him…

When I was nine years old, mother became pregnant again. Father was excited- probably hoping that this time he was to be given a son that could truly fulfill his desire for a son that he could be proud of- unlike myself, the pathetic runt…

P.s. Sometimes, I feal like there is a shadow hanging over me, but when I look over my shoulder, there's nothing- what does this mean?

***