Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Sword ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own YYH or any characters therein. This story was done for personal entertainment purposes and I make no profit off of this, so there!

The Sword

I grip the hilt of my katana as I sit in my tree. My closest companion. This sword is a part of me. When I fight it becomes an extension of myself. Slender yet strong. I need that strength. Weakly, I'm sure, I have come to rely on it in battle.

I run a cloth along the blade. Cleaning it. Cleansing it of the impurity of battle. Never will the blood be allowed to taint this steel. I won't tolerate it.

I examine the sword, allowing moon light to dance along its edge. One side is blunted and appears harmless. And yet many times I have blocked an attack with this side. Returned attacks as well with the dull side of my blade. Yet it is the sharp side that many will see, and all will fear. All except for myself. I know both sides of this sword as well as myself, and fear neither.

I continue to run my cloth along the blade, almost… lovingly. My life may depend upon this sword one day and so it must be kept guarded and safe when not exposed in battle.

I feel a strange emotion well up inside me as I stare at my sword. I cannot explain it, never having felt anything like it before. I look at the flat of the sword, but I do not see my own reflection. Instead I see the flaming red hair of my only true friend. I stare into the emerald green eyes that are sharper than any sword could hope to be.

Carefully I slip my katana back into its battered sheath. It slides home soundlessly. Like a thief. A silver one perhaps. I brace my sword against my shoulder, allowing it to lean against the arm that is resting against my upraised knee. And turn my eyes toward the window beyond which lay sleeping my love.

He is so much like this sword.

Kurama.

My baka kitsune.

My life.

So close… I wonder what you dream of when you return to your ningen life. Do you dream of the battles that no one else knows about? Ones that only we have shared? Or perhaps something that is beyond my realm of experience? Or maybe one of those stupid ningen girls? I allow my fingers to brush against my katana, as though to ward off that thought.

I frown.

Stupid ningen superstitions.

I shiver as the wind picks up, and I huddle into my cloak to try to escape from the slight chill. I can't help but feel wistful, wishing that it was you I hold in my arms instead, your warmth I could share. That is something you will never know. Instead I will keep you guarded and safe. I will not allow Forbidden Blood to taint you. I won't tolerate it.

I grip the hilt of my katana as I sit in my tree. My closest companion.

My closest companion, except perhaps for you, Kurama.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A response to my fic, The Dance, from Hiei's POV. Wow, this one made me kinda sad for some reason. Anyways, lemme know what you thought about it and if I should do one where they actually get together or if I should just leave it.