Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Three Sacred Gems(Revised) ❯ chapter one: Meetings and Descoveries ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Three Sacred Gems
 
Chapter 1: Meetings and Discoveries
 
 
(NOTE: If you don't read the prologue, some references will not make sense.)
 
 
Koenma's telescreen went black, leaving the gang collectively disgusted—some to the extent of anger. Yusuke, whose feelings were in the minority, stared at the blank screen in a moment of heated silence. And then, without warning, there was a loud thu-thump as he slammed a fist on Koenma's desk, causing it to shudder violently.
While he should have been expecting such an abrupt outburst from Yusuke, Koenma found himself duly startled by the vibrations that shot through his hands, all the way to his shoulders and through his chest. For a moment, he felt like a well-mixed smoothie. A lack of the two major luxuries in his life--food and rest--was causing him to behave a bit skittishly.
"Damnit!" Yusuke yelled, his expression twisted to show exactly how he felt: anger, revulsion, impatience, and, behind it all, a strong desire to put a hurting on whomever was responsible for creating such a scene. "Why didn't you tell us about this sooner?!" he demanded.
"Because, Yusuke," Koenma explained, slowly regaining his composure in the face of Yusuke's rage, "we just found out."
When Yusuke turned his glare to the place where his fist had struck the desk, Koenma hopped from his chair, hoping to avoid another shake-up. He walked a few steps away from the group, his back turned toward them as he mumbled and fretted. "The girls are going to be more than just 'unhappy' when they find out what happened to their teammate. How am I going to tell them? Ahh..."
"Girls," repeated Kuwabara in quiet disbelief. "You sent girls to do our work?!" he exclaimed, pointing an accusing finger at Koenma. Unbeknownst to him, the "girls" had quietly entered the room, and they were watching. They might have arrived with lukewarm intentions, but the temperature was rising quickly. "Girls are frail, weak creatures, and they need to be prot..." His passionate speech was cut short when he felt himself slammed against the wall. His head jerked forward, but the motion only caused his trachea to feel constricted by the hand encircling his throat.
For a second, he didn't know what to make of the girl before him, whose black eyes burned like live coal.
"What's wrong with girls?" she asked, her question little more than a malicious growl and her fangs clearly visible in the gleam of artificial light, cold and cruel. Kuwabara gulped and searched his empty head for the right answer, but all he managed to stumble out was, "N-Nothing." Even with her strong fingers clamped around his neck, he frantically shook his head as much as he was able in order to emphasize his response, waving his hands before his face in innocent ignorance. The girl was hardly convinced, but quickly decided he wasn't worth her time. She casually tossed him to the other side of the room and walked up to Koenma's desk.
Koenma, who secretly feared for his well-being, tried to sink out of notice. He was largely unsuccessful. The dark-eyed girl cornered him.
"And what the hell do you want?!" she shouted, only to be pulled away by a light-haired girl with bright, aqua blue eyes.
"That's enough, Aloria... I think they get the point: you're pissed," she reasoned. Apparently, the blue-eyed one held some sort of influence over Aloria because, despite the other's initial unbounded hostility, she backed off and said nothing more.
"Now, what did you call us here for?" The second girl's voice was on the boarder of being too calm.
Koenma went back to his chair and sat, buying some time before answering. "Oh, yes," he sighed. "That..." With a deep breath, he decided to get it all out at once, causing his words to run together. "KelhasbeencapturedbyYakumo..."
A soft pair of gray-green eyes snapped to Koenma, focusing on him. This girl--one of two that had not yet spoken--had a look of deep confusion and concern that clearly said she hoped he had not said what she thought he had.
"What? Speak more slowly and add actual words this time," the blue-eyed girl said, just as calmly as before.
Koenma sighed a second time, realizing that there would be no getting out of this. "Kel has been captured by Yakumo... and is still in the dungeon. She's been tortured, but she's alive," he said, shrinking back in his chair; try as he might, he simply couldn't manage to disappear.
"What?!" The green-eyed girl--usually too timid and sympathetic for outbursts and glares--underwent a sudden and intense change in temperament. Her pale eyebrows turned down at a less than delicate angle and her eyes glinted with one part thunder and two parts bloody murder. Thoughts that had once been centered on the unfortunate victim of Aloria's anger had turned towards an all-consuming outrage of her own. She felt it so intensely that it seemed as though fire--not blood--danced through her veins. The knowledge that her half cousin was still alive hardly made up for what she must have gone through, and was perhaps suffering through at this very minute.
Koenma's eyes went wide, his pupils dilated, but his chair would not allow for him to sink back any further. It was at times like these that he cursed substantial things. Blue eyes narrowed, which did nothing at all to quell Koenma's dread. Neither did the fact that Aloria was the first to speak up.
"Where is that bastard general of mine?" It was obvious that everyone was far from happy, and perhaps even angrier than Koenma had feared. "I'll show him what pain is," she promised, clenching her fist.
The more mild female bit her lip and pushed her anger to the back of her mind, deciding to save it for the one who'd soon be paying for his offense. It did not good to take it out on Koenma. He was not the enemy. A clearer mind allowed her to be slightly embarrassed over her sudden temperamental flare, but it didn't seem to matter now that everyone was watching Koenma, expecting an answer—and fast.
Koenma swallowed hard, wishing the attention were not so hard-set on him, and, with a shaky voice, replied, "I don't know; he hasn't actually been seen since guys 'destroyed' him, so I have no idea... You should try searching Demon World."
Frustrated and infuriated by the lack of a proper response, Aloria turned and stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind her and cursing all the way down the hall.
"Damn it!" the last girl yelled, punching a hole in the wall before walking out, followed by her stunned companions; it wasn't often that she made such a display of displeasure.
Four pairs of eyes stared after the girls.
"Damn," Yusuke said, dragging out the vowel. A moment later, he registered what had been said about Yakumo. Turning his head back to Koenma, he stared, wide-eyed with shock and confusion as he yelled, "What the hell do you mean?! Yakumo might not dead?!"
Koenma winced, feeling sorry for his own ears and not understanding why everyone found it necessary to scream so much when his ears were feeling particularly sensitive. Well, perhaps he did see the reason, but to be so incessant about it was… "It's just as I said, Yusuke... I didn't see his death papers, so he must not be dead," he said with a little more clarity and composure now that the girls were out of the room (and, hopefully, a long way away from him). "And he's the only one I can think of that would be capable of what I just showed you."
Kuwabara took this time to ask a completely unrelated question. "Who were they?"
Koenma didn't bother trying to hide his annoyance, which was apparent in his tone. "They are the American-based Spirit Detectives... They work for my father, really." The half-blank look on Kuwabara's face, which signaled another stroke of stupidity, made Koenma sigh as he braced himself for the myriad of pointless questions he knew were soon to follow...
 
Author's Note: If no one reviews then there will be no "Chapter 2," which Brandy and I already wrote out. I don't want to continue a story no one likes/reads.