Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Thorns ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Summary: Sinking deeper into depression, Kurama's heart longs for Hiei's love while his body aches to be held by anybody. As he struggles to overcome his fear of confessing to Hiei, another guy approaches with what seems to be true affection for Kurama, bringing in another set of problems…

Disclaimer: I don't own YYH, but I came up with the character of Tamahome. So there.

Thorns

Chapter One

"Listen all you need is something to get his attention. You know, something provocative."

"Provocative?"

"Yeah. Kurama, you gotta make him curious as to what's underneath your clothing. Show a little skin or something."

"Tamahome! I'm attempting to admit my true feelings for him, not seduce him. And I'm by no means a female, nor any good at flaunting, so stop that right now. Besides, I'm sure Hiei wouldn't notice…" Kurama explained, sprawled across his bed and staring solemnly out his bedroom window.

The two teenage boys had been sitting in Kurama's room all afternoon discussing Kurama's dilemma of if he should confess that he was in love with Hiei, and how he should go about doing it. Tamahome, who was optimistic about Kurama's chance of a possible relationship with Hiei, had come up with idea after idea (flaunting, sending flowers, simply telling him…) to help solve the problem, and Kurama, who was pessimistic about his chance (to him it was more like lack thereof, really) of a relationship with Hiei, had given a reason to every idea as to why he shouldn't do it.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah…Kurama, I still don't see why you can't and don't just come out and tell him. What's the worst that could happen?" Tama question, flipping through a magazine.

There were plenty of reasons why he didn't want to confess. One, Kurama had never told anyone that he was in love with them; Two, Hiei would most likely not return the same feelings for Kurama; Three, if Hiei DID return those feelings, Kurama felt that he wouldn't be able to keep Hiei satisfied and happy; Four, Kurama thought that he didn't deserve to be with Hiei, and so on and so on…

But instead of speaking his insecurities out loud, he meekly replied that there were plenty of reasons why Kurama objected to Tama's plans of to "just come out [literally] and tell him", and that anything you could possibly think of that might go wrong would go wrong.

Kurama sighed painfully. That nervous feeling he had whenever he thought of Hiei rose up in his chest and it hurt to breathe. Depression was painted on the 15-year-old boy's face.

"This dude's really getting to you, isn't he?" Tama asked, looking sympathetically towards Kurama as he sat on the floor, leaning against the wall. "Tell me about him."

He shut the magazine and tossed it aside, in favor of the new discussion of `the perfect guy'.

"His name is Hiei. He's a fire demon."

"A fire demon? Are demons even interested in relationships? I mean, from what you've told me all they seem to want to do is kill.''

"Tama, have you forgotten that I am a demon?" Kurama sighed.

"Oh! Yeah, sorry Kurama. It's just that sometimes you don't act like a demon is all."

That's right, I'm merely the logical human-loving, demon-backstabbing loser who wastes his life away with his `mother'…

"Well…do you think he likes you back? And is he even interested in a relationship?"

"It's difficult to tell what he's thinking…The only emotion he ever really displays hostility…"

"Towards you?"

"No, not now. However, he did attack me upon our first encounter."

"He attacked you? I'm hoping you gave him a good ass-kicking," Tama joked, grinning from ear to ear.

Kurama didn't answer. He sighed heavily, his eyes closed, the image of their first meeting replaying in his mind, along with every pleasant memory of Hiei that he could think of. He immediately felt his cheeks grow warm and his heart raced as though Hiei was present in the room. The feeling brought a smile to Kurama's face, for it was the feeling he had whenever he was around Hiei, a feeling he enjoyed having even though it made him extremely nervous. For a moment everything was fine and he felt no pain. But it only lasted a moment because he soon remembered that he was nowhere Hiei, and the pain returned. He slowly opened his eyes, the feeling long gone, and noticed Tama staring curiously at him.

"What?" Kurama asked.

"I asked you a question and you just…drifted off into your own little world," Tama reminded him.

"Oh. Right, of course. Well, technically - ''

"No, no, don't get technical! I'll get confused, just tell me who won."

"No one won," Kurama answered.

"No one? Ooohhh, I get it! You guys are still fighting! You fell in love with the enemy! That's a very interesting plot twist, Kurama. Tell me, are you sadistic?"

Kurama's eyes widened questioningly.

"No…I'm not sadistic, I'm - ''

"No, you're right, you're not sadistic. You're masochistic!" Tama teased.

Kurama reached over to his desk and threw his chemistry book at Tama.

"I'm not masochistic, nor sadistic!! I'm - ''

" - sadomasochistic?" Tama finished for him, grinning widely and thoroughly enjoying teasing Kurama. "I'll bet you use that Rose Whip of yours in bed. Does Hiei like that?"

Now Kurama, who was also grinning (and blushing), was standing on his bed and throwing all of his school books at the laughing Tama, who dodged all of them easily. After the books stopped flying, Kurama spoke.

"We are not enemies. I am not sadistic, masochistic, or sadomasochistic. That reason why no one claimed victory in the battle is because he was injured. I treated his wounds, and then he left."

Tama thought for a moment before asking, "No seducing? What's wrong with you?!"

He began laughing again, but immediately stopped when he caught Kurama's ice-cold glare from across the room.

"You know," Tama began, looking sympathetically towards Kurama, trying to get back on his good side. "Sooner or later you're going to have to tell him."

Kurama sighed and plopped down on his bed.

"Yes, Tama, I'm aware of that."

"So why don't you - ''

"Because I'm scared to…I don't want to ruin it…"

"Now, see, THAT'S why you have to show a little skin and make him come to you instead of you having to tell him!"

Kurama blanched slightly and replied, "No. I don't think I'll be taking that course of action. And I told you to stop bringing that up!"

"Okay, fine, no seducing…Well, hey! Write him a letter telling him how you feel instead. That way you don't have to show any skin or have a chance to screw it up!"

"You couldn't fathom the amount of opportunities there would be to completely destroy what little friendship Hiei have together," Kurama argued.

"Not if I help edit it for you!" Tama offered, flashing a big salesman-like smile.

Kurama scoffed.

"Come on, who's better at editing love letters than me? I can make it sexy and romantic! Does Hiei like his men romantic?" He teased, sticking out his thumb.

Kurama blushed madly.

"I…I don't know what Hiei likes…I mean…"

…I'm not even sure if he likes men…

Kurama glanced nervously around his room, like he was making sure no one could see or hear what he was about to ask. Slowly he got off his bed and sat down on the floor beside Tamahome.

"Could you really make it sexy and romantic though?" He whispered quietly.

Tama stared at Kurama.

"…Why do you have to whisper? No one's in here,'' Tama replied loudly.

Kurama giggled.

"Could you?"

"Yeah, sure, if you wanted me to. I suppose I could quote some Shakespeare or something. `Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate…' ''

Kurama giggled again.

"I'm sure Hiei's not interested in literature, let alone Western literature…And he's not that temperate…"

"Kurama, do you really love him?" Tama asked, changing the subject, even though he knew the answer was a most definite `yes'.

Kurama didn't answer. He was too busy daydreaming of Hiei with a smile on his face. It didn't make any sense; usually when he thought of Hiei he became depressed and sullen, but now, there was nothing but happiness. Just thinking of Hiei reading Shakespeare made him happy and somewhat amused. He closed his eyes, and on the backs of his eyelids images of Hiei trying to understand Shakespeare's vocabulary and dialogue played. He giggled to himself, knowing that Hiei would throw the book (or letter, depending on what he was reading) aside, claiming that it was a waste of his time, that it was human nonsense that had no point whatsoever, and he would thoroughly insist that he could in fact understand it but it was too foolish.

"KURAMA!"

He jumped a little, awoken from his daydream, and opened his eyes again.

"Kurama, I think it would be best if you wrote the letter yourself," Tama suggested firmly. "And no quoting Shakespeare, or anyone else, just write how you feel about him. I'll bet that alone would make it more sexy and romantic than I could."

Kurama's smile faded as he looked at Tama with uncertainty in his eyes.

"I…I can't write a love letter…I have no experience…"

"Oh, come on, Kurama, you're not applying for a job here, you're writing a love letter! And I never said I wouldn't read it over for you, I said I wasn't going to write it for you."

The red-haired demon didn't move. He sat, leaning against the wall, considering his options. On one hand, he could write the letter to Hiei, confessing everything he had ever felt for him, let Tama read it to make sure that he didn't make a complete fool of himself and have Tama make fun of him for the rest of his life for writing such a cheesy love letter. And maybe, just maybe, Hiei might not laugh in his face, if he did it right. On the other hand, Kurama could not tell Hiei anything, have the pain he had felt since day one steadily increase and die miserable with Tama STILL making fun of him, only this time for being too afraid to say or do anything.

"Kurama," Tama began. "This is the only option you have left. I'm sorry, but you've shot down all my other ideas. And I know that you don't want to not tell Hiei because you'll only be miserable. I don't want that either. So just write the letter, okay?"

"But…"

"No, either you write the letter or I tell him myself,'' Tama threatened as he stood and slung his school bag over his shoulder.

Kurama glared, his equanimity quickly fading, but nodded only because he knew he didn't have any other choice.

"Good. Now I've gotta go. I'll see you tomorrow at school. And I'll probably be in the mood to read something, okay?"

"But I'm not capable of writing a decent love letter in one day!" Kurama complained.

"Shut up and write what you can!"

The tall brown-haired boy grinned back at Kurama, quietly shut the door to Kurama's room and left, leaving Kurama wondering if this was going to be a huge mistake…

A/N: So…is it stupid? A complete waste of time? Should I keep writing new chappies? Review please, so I can stop asking these dumb questions. Tell me what you like, what you don't, what you think I should improve on and I'll try to, unless you're mean, in case I won't. So no flaming, because if you don't like the fic then go write your own and make it better than this. And then let me read it so I can criticize it. Only kidding. But seriously, review! Depressed people love comments. And don't judge the fic by the first chapter, this chapter was really difficult to write. You know, introducing the characters and the original conflict is not my best thing. And trust me, it gets a lot better. I hope. And excuse me using Shakespeare instead of a Japanese poet, but I don't know any. It's a cliché, I know, but shut up.