Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Time After Time ❯ Once Upon A Rose. ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Chapter Five; Once Upon A Rose.



The temple was quiet, Yusuke, Kuwabara, Keiko and Kurama were at school, Genkai sat outside, looking at the sunset, Yukina was boiling some water, Kia tagged along after her.

Kyna, Kurai and Platina were still unconscious, Kiba and Kiara had woken some time during the night and were asleep once again, Kishiri was awake, but too weak to stand up on her own.

Kyna blinked awake, and the groaned, she tried to sit up, but a pang of pain in her side and shoulder kept her from doing so, once the pain lessened, she sat up slowly and carefully then stood up, she walked towards the mirror next to the closet silently.

She looked at herself, she was wearing a white yukata, which was very uncomfortable for her, walking to the closet in her room, she noticed some of her own clothes inside, sighing, she took out a black hakama and a short sleeved kosode, she walked towards the bathroom, took a quick bath, replaced her bandages that covered from her waistline to her breastbone, because of the many injuries on her back, and her right shoulder was also covered in bandages, she placed on the white kosode and the black hakama and stepped outside of the room.

She walked silently to where she could feel Genkai's aura, the old woman was resting against a tree, eyes closed, but she sensed Kyna's presence long before she stepped in front of her.

" Should you be up? " Genkai asked quietly without opening her eyes.

Kyna moved her eyes from Genkai's face to the sky as a gentle breeze moved her clothes and white tresses. " I can't stand being in a bed for a long time, it makes me uneasy. " The ice inu replied softly.

" Is that so? " Genkai said, one brown eye locked on Kyna's form.

Kyna's eyes shifted from the sky to Genkai, a slightly annoyed look in them, Genkai smiled softly, remembering that gaze to well, there was a frustrated sound coming from the inu youkai, half growl half snarl as she glared at the old woman before fading in a gust of frigid air.

- Time hasn't changed you yet, Kyna...- Genkai thought as she smiled softly at the place Kyna had been last.

===============================

By mid afternoon, Yusuke, Kuwabara, Shizuru, Keiko and Kurama got back to the temple, they entered the living room, where Genkai and Yukina were currently at, and, much to their surprise, Kishiri, Kiara and Kiba were there, Kiba talked with Genkai while Kishiri and Kiara talked with Yukina.

" You finally got back. " Genkai said as soon as she saw them.

" Yes, Ba-san. " Yusuke said as he sat down in another couch.

" How are the other youkai, Genkai? " Keiko asked softly.

Kiba turned to Keiko, a surprised look in his eyes. " Thank you for asking, young lady, as you can see, these two ladies and myself are quite fine, but my siblings, Platina, the silver haired fox, Kurai, the black haired inu and Kyna, my twin sister, were the ones injured the worst, Platina is still asleep upstairs, Kurai is awake upstairs, and should be falling down the stairs any time now, and Kyna has been outside since morning. " As soon as Kiba finished, Kurai fell down the stairs, moaning in pain, he sat up, rubbing his head while everyone sweat dropped.

" Argh, stupid stairs. " He said before turning to the rest and blinking.

" Are you alright, Kurai? " Kiba asked as he stepped closer the other inu.

" Yeah...Fine. " Kurai said softly, rubbing his head.

" It was not a very smart move to run down the stairs, now, was it, Kurai? " Platina said as he move slowly down the steps, a smirk in his face.

" Shut up, fox. " Kurai growled at the smirking fox.

Yukina walked up to the fox and dog. " Kurai-san, Platina-san, would you like a cup of tea? " She asked softly.

" I would love to, Yukina-san. " Platina said with a charming smile.

" Yeah, me two, with a lot of sugar. " Kurai said, grinning like a fool.

" Is it me or dog demons seem to love anything sweet? " Genkai said, smirking.

" Kiba, Kurai and Kyna have a very sweet tooth; they also love chocolate ice cream. " Platina said, smiling, as he sat down next to Yusuke, Kurai sat down next to him.

All of sudden Kurama got up from his seat and began to walk away.

" Where are you going, Kurama? " Yusuke asked.

" Outside. " Kurama said without turning back.

" Is it me or Kurama seems to know Kyna? " Yusuke wondered aloud.

" Yeah, I've noticed. " Kuwabara said, then, he and Yusuke turned to Platina and Kurai.

" We know nothing. " Kurai said with closed eyes.

" Oi, Kurai. " Yusuke began. " Do they know each other? "

" I know nothing. " Kurai said stubbornly.

After a long time of trying to get anything out from the black inu, Yusuke gave up, and instead tried to get the information out of Platina, getting the same results, tired of that, he went to play video games, Kuwabara and Kurai joined him, and soon, the three were shouting and throwing curses to one another.

=========================================

Kurama sighed as he stepped outside; the weather was cold, but not unbearable.

He began walking towards the forest, he knew finding Kyna would not be easy, even more so if she didn't wish to be found, but the fox was determined to find her and have a very long talk.

With steady steps, he went inside the forest surrounding Genkai's temple, a hundred questions inside his head, and he was going to ask them all to Kyna.

But the problem was to find the inu, when she was very clearly avoiding him and his questions.

If there was something Kyna hated, it was being questioned, and he was sure that hadn't changed in these 7 years since he saw her last.

But he was going to talk with her, she wanted or not.

=========================================

Meanwhile, somewhere in the forest, Kyna sat comfortable against the bark of a tree in a high branch, the leaves, strangely enough, kept her form well hidden.

Her blue eyes were focused on the setting sun, in a day similar to this she had met Youko Kurama and his partner in crime, Kuronue, stupid fools, she had cared greatly for both of them, and both had gotten killed with less then a year of difference.

there was a low howl, and Kyna turned to Kia as he flew to where she was and curled up in her lap, running her hand through his soft fur, she let her mind wander, almost a hundred years in the past as she began to remember how she met Kuronue and Youko Kurama, a small smile appeared in her serene features.

She sighed as she closed her eyes, a day like this, indeed, in winter, the day had been cold and bitter, the forest floor covered in soft snow, for it had been snowing almost daily, she had been left alone, after her companions were killed during a mission, but she had got out of it with not even a small scratch...

~~~~~~~~~~~~Flash Back~~~~~~~~~~~~

The forest was quiet, and the shadows of sunset were creeping all around her, her ears were pressed thigh against her head under the hood of her cloak as it covered her whole body, so no one could tell if the figure was male or female, and that worked just fine with her.

She continued to walk through the silent forest, alert to sounds and smells around her as her body tensed in case of a fight.

There was a sound, behind her, and she swirled to face the creature that made that sound, only to find a black haired bat demon, and a silver haired, golden eyed kitsune.

" Well, well, what have we here? " The bat demon spoke, looking at her; she could tell he was not able to see any of her facial features.

" You are trespassing. " The kitsune said with narrowed eyed at her.

Great, just was she needed, a territorial kitsune and his freaky friend, just great. . .

" Cat got your tongue? " the bat asked cockily.

Kyna rolled her eyes and turned to walk away, Kuronue growled as he flew towards Kyna, who turned calmly back to meet his attack.

There was the singing sound of metal clashing against metal, Kyna used Kuronue's own shock to kick him in the stomach with such force that sent him flaying against a tree, the snow in the tree falling onto him.

" Skilled, aren't we? " Youko taunted as he drew a rose from his hair. " Show yourself. "

Kyna thought for a moment, they were trying to kill her anyways, so, there was no harm in showing herself to them, right?

Kyna sheathed her swords and raised her clawed hands to her hood, she took it off, and as soon as that was done, blue-white hair fell over her shoulders and back, both ears turned to the two male demons in front of her.

" I was kicked that hard by a female?! " Shouted an astonished Kuronue.

" Idiot. " Youko murmured to his friend. " She is no normal female, look closely. "

" I don't see anything special. " Kuronue mumbled after a few seconds of staring at the female demon.

Youko hit him in the head. " She's an ice inu, idiot. "

" An ice inu?! But, aren't those supposed to be in the far north-western mountains? they never come here. "

" And they never travel alone, tell me, girl, were is the rest of your pack? " Youko asked.

" I don't travel with a pack. " Kyna answered coldly. " And my companions were killed in the mission. "

" Who are you? " Youko asked, his eyes locking with Kyna's strange ones.

" Why should I tell you? " Kyna said, and the fox frowned.

" Because this lands belong to me. "

" That's not enough reason to tell you anything about myself. " Kyna said, then she turned and began to walk away.

" You won't go this easily. " Youko said coldly. " Rose Whip! " he shouted at the same time the rose turned into a thorned whip that flew towards Kyna at a very high speed.

The inu's eyes narrowed as she turned, her claws glowing blue, a whip formed from her index and middle claws, which cut the Rose Whip in 2 parts, but Kyna's attack didn't stop there, with a quick movement of her wrist, her whip slashed the front of Youko's clothes, he was able to get away before it touched his skin, but the strange whip had tore a part of his shirt.

" I do not wish to fight you, kitsune. " Kyna stated, her voice was pure ice, but before Youko could answer, there were serval loud voices not far from them.

" Where is she? " One voice shouted.

" I don't know! she must be near! " Another said.

" Well, find her and kill her. " A third voice said.

Kyna hissed softly.

" Friends of yours? " Youko asked softly.

" Not likely. "

All of sudden, 20 lizard-like demons broke in the clearing, their eyes locked on Kyna's figure.

" We are gonna kill you, inu! " One shouted, and a dark smile that sent shivers down everyone's spine appeared on Kyna's face.

" You will regret ever crossing my path, foolish demons. " She said as she took the cloak off, ivory wings with onyx tips spread behind her.

- Well, isn't she a little box of surprises? - Youko thought to himself, and he watched in wicked amusement how the demons' eyes widened in horror when her wings began to turned ruby red and the onyx tips turned a dark shade of red, his gaze moved from Kyna to the demons and back again. - Why are they so afraid of her? - He wondered.

" The Shikage. " Kuronue whispered in almost awe and respect.

" Shikage? " Youko asked silently. - Why in the name of Inari* would they call her 'killing shadow'?-

" O-onegai! " One demon fell to his knees, his hands were clasped in front of his chest. " Spare us! We didn't know you were the Shikage! " The other demons nodded frantically.

" Pathetic fools, why should I spare your lives? " Kyna said darkly as she moved closer to the demons.

" please, don't kill us! " Another begged, tears falling down his cheeks.

Kyna stood before them, her claws glowed, and, in less then a second, they all laid dead on the blood stained snow, Kyna turned and began to walk away.

" You don't have a drop of compassion in your frozen blood, do you? " Kuronue asked.

Kyna turned to look at him over her shoulder, her eyes emotionless. " Compassion is only a weakness that will lead to your doom. " She said before fading in the shadows of the darkened forest.

Youko didn't say anything, he just walked silently to where Kyna's cloak had dropped and picked it up, recognizing Kyna's scent of snowy forests and wild berries in the blue cloth. " Do you truly think she was not compassionate? "

" Look how she killed them after all they begged, does that sound compassionate to you? Besides, the Shikage is a very well known assassin, she's merciless and heartless. " Kuronue said, looking oddly at Youko as he brought the cloak to his nose.

" There is more about her than what meets the eyes. " Youko said, turning to where she had disappeared. " This is not the last time we will meet with her. "

====A few months later...


The air smelt of sadness when Kyna exited the small house, a group of teenage demons ran to her with big smiles in their faces.

" Ne, Kyna-sama! " A blue haired dragon said, jumping up and down. " Will you teach us new movements? "

" Yeah, we want to protect this village when you are not longer here! " A short auburn haired boy said, exited.

- When I am no longer here.- Kyna thought as her eyes darkened, but this went unnoticed by the boys who tugged on her haori sleeves, her emotionless facade broke into a soft smile as the ice in her eyes and around her heart melted a little.

" Hai, I will, you have been advancing very quickly in hand to hand, but that won't be enough in a fight against a youkai, I'm afraid. " Kyna said as she led the young kids towards the edge of the beautiful village.

" Really? Cool! " The blue haired boy exclaimed.

" Well. " Kyna said picking up 2 sturdy and long sticks from the floor. " You go first, Ryu. "

" Hai! " The blue haired boy said, taking the stick from Kyna, who stood in a fighting stance, which Ryu tried to copy.

" Not bad, spread you legs wider and bent your knees, relax your arms, hold the stick a little bit upwards, good. " Kyna said, smiling slightly. " Now, run towards me, move the sword over your face and bring it down on me, ready? Now! "

Ryu ran towards her with a battle cry, he jumped and brought the sword down on Kyna, who blocked it easily. " Good, repeat that, but follow the downward strike with a diagonal one, from top to bottom, Kyna nodded her approval.

After a few hours of teaching all the kids, she sat on the soft grass, exhausted, the kids dropped next to her.

" You learn very quickly. " Kyna commented slightly as she sat up and stretched her wings, Taro and Aris, the brown haired twin wolf demons, moved instantly to her wings and began running their hands through the silk-like feathers.

" I love your wings. " Young Aris stated, he was only 10 years old, while Taro, his brother, was 15 years old.

" My mama used to let me play with her own wings. " Sora, the only female, and youngest of all, stated as she stretched her small grey wings, she was a falcon demon.

" My Kaa-chan and Otou-chan used to have long and fluffy tails. " Taro said, looking at his short and thin brown tail in silent despair.

Kyna almost laughed at his face, almost, kids made her feel a little bit like her old self, it was, at times, a relaxing feeling. " It will get longer and thicker as you grow up, Taro. "

" Really? " Both wolf brothers said in awe, Kyna nodded slowly and they jumped up and began dancing around her, Aris was the first one to trip on his own tail, falling over Taro in the process, all the kids laughed while Kyna shook her head, a smile in her lips, but her wolfish ears moved to the sound of two voices, she turned towards the entrance of the village, where the village chief and the silver haired kitsune she had seen a few months back were.

" Please, Youko-sama, you can't take them away! They have suffered enough! " The chief cried.

" I told you, old man, that if you didn't pay the taxes by today, I would take them as payments, so I could train them and make them part of my own army. " The kitsune said coldly.

" Youko-sama! Please- "

" Quiet you old fool! " Youko growled as he made the old man fall in his behind, he turned, only to see a sword placed directly over his throat. " Well, if it isn't the Shikage, what a warm welcome. "

" I have no warm welcomes to those who force young children to become soldiers. " Kyna stated coldly, then she turned to the kids. " Ryu, Aris, Taro and Sora, get back to the house and don't get out unless I go for you. "

" But- " Ryu began to protest.

" Now! " Kyna snarled lowly at him, the children nodded and ran away, she then turned to the old man, who whose eyes were filled
with gratitude. " Yuen-sama " Kyna began, the old youkai stood up quickly.

" Yes? " The old man asked quietly.
" Care to tell me what the problem is? " Kyna asked softly.

" Youko-sama told us a month ago that if we didn't pay him the taxes we owed him, he would take the orphaned children."

" So ka. " She said softly, turning frozen blue eyes to Youko's own golden ones. " How much money? " She asked the old man.

" 100 golden coins. "

There was a low growl forming on Kyna's throat, as her eyes filled with furry. " You are worst of what I had thought, Youko Kurama. "

" So, you know me, Shikage. "

" Indeed I do, and I never thought you would fall so low. " Kyna stated calmly.

Youko snarled at her and tried to move, but the sharp point of Kyna's katana dug into his skin, drawing a thin line of blood.

" Listen fox, I am like no one you have ever met, I am not like you, or your partner, or any member of your so called army, you may show mercy rarely, I show it never, take this as my last warning, leave this village alone, or I will kill you with my own hands. "

" You have crossed a limit that can't be uncrossed anymore, Inu, be ready, because next time I come, I will kill you. " Youko said before disappearing.

" Arigato. " The old man said after a short while.

" Douitashimashite. " Kyna said emotionlessly before walking away to the house the orphaned children where, she would protect them, even if it cost her, her own life.

Over the next months, Kyna taught the children how to handle a sword and how to fire a bow, Ryu was the most skilled with the sword, he was fast, determined and a fast thinker, Aris was the best with the bow, he had an aim as true as her own, she was proud, they made her proud.

Unknown to her and the group of kids, a pair of golden eyes watched them daily, through the training until the late talks at night, but during all that time, Kyna's eyes never held a trace of coldness while being with them, it seemed that the Shikage was more then what everyone thought.

And for the life of him, he couldn't find a reason as to why he came everyday just to watch them practice.

But he kept coming everyday, just to see the feared Shikage act like an older sibling to all of those kids, teaching them, guiding them...Protecting them.

He knew inus were possessive and highly protective of the young around them, even more to those who had lost their parents to other demons, which was the case of this four kids.

He kept doing that for little over 6 months, until one night, he saw the sky tinted in red, and the air smelt of blood, sadness and death.

Using his full speed, he went to the village, just to see it burning up, the villagers were trying to end the fires in the huts, Sora and Taro were helping them out, sending worried glances to the other side of the village.

His blood ran cold when he couldn't find Kyna, or the other 2 kids, searching frantically around, a flash of white, blue and silver light caught his attention, he ran towards there, only to find a very badly hurt Ryu unconscious behind a standing Kyna, whose eyes had turned golden as she looked at the enemies in front of her, both of her hands held a sword.

In the blink of an eye, Kyna moved, soundlessly, and the only actual proof that she had moved was the shocked eyes of the demons as they fell to the snow covered floor.

Then, he understood why most demons called her the Shikage, because she moved so fast, she was only a shadow when she killed.

But not everything they said about her was true, she made them believe she was merciless and heartless, but he had seen the way she acted around the people of this village, and she was another person totally.

He watched as she cleaned her swords and sheathed them, then she walked towards Ryu and knelt next to him, there was worry in her eyes.
" Ryu, wake up, Ryu! " She called to the young water dragon, who opened his aqua colored eyes slowly.

" Kyna-sama? " He asked softly.

" yes, pup, it's me. " She said softly as she took him in her arms, her sleeves getting tainted by his blood, she was about to walk away when Youko came out from his hiding place.

" Wait. " He said softly, Kyna turned towards him, body tensing as Aris drew an arrow from the quiver Kyna had given to him. " I mean no harm to you, I can heal the kid if you let me, inu. "

Kyna's now clear blue eyes locked with his golden ones, and he gasped at the intensity of her gaze as she seemed to search for something in his eyes, finally, after what seemed like an eternity for the kitsune, Kyna nodded slowly. " Fine. " She said, her voice emotionless. " Come with me. "

Kyna guided Youko to the house the children lived in and where she was staying for now, Sora and taro were waiting for her, with a glance, Aris, Sora and Taro went to their own rooms while she set Ryu carefully in her own.

Youko glanced around the house slowly, it was bigger then last time he had seen it, Kyna's doing, no doubt, it also had more things, the inu had a very well known reputation, and she was hired by Makai Lords frequently, she must have quite a sum of money, but because she never stayed in a place for long, she didn't buy many things, he wa surprised she had stayed in this city for such a long time.

he moved to the unconscious dragon after Kyna sat down in the edge of her bed, running a clawed hand through Ryu's bangs absently as she watched him work with a suspicious glint in her eyes.

He almost smiled at her absent movements, but kept the smile to himself, he knew it would set the tense inu out with dangerous consequences.

He worked quickly, summoning the plants he needed with practiced ease.

After hours of working non-stop on the boy, Youko finished, and while the kids slept peacefully, he and Kyna walked outside to the edge of the forest were Youko had come from.

" I thank you for your help. " Kyna said, her voice emotionless. " But you are not taking them. "

Youko glared at her in frustration. " If I wanted to do so, it would have already been done. "

" Whatever. " Kyna said as she turned and began walking away.

" Mou, not even a goodbye? " Youko said in mock hurt.

" I'll be wasting my time, you always return, then why would I say goodbye? " Kyna said as she began walking away.

There was a whistling sound, seconds before a blood red rose landed on the floor next to her feet, she bent over to pick the thorn less flower and then turned behind her, the kitsune was gone, she turned once again and a small smile formed in her lips as she walked back towards the house, but something told her that after this night, nothing would be ever the same.

From inside the forest, Youko watched her go, a grin in his lips and amusement in his eyes.

While Youko got back to his home, in her own, Kyna sat in her bed, next to Ryu, who was hugging her tail tightly to him while his head rested on her lap.

She ran her clawed fingers through his soft blue hair, her eyes were soft and caring as she looked down at his peaceful face, the light of the moon shined on her face and in the room, casting a soft glow over the young dragon, a gentle smile spread in her beautiful face, her eyes moved from Ryu to the blood red rose resting in her night table, the rose itself seem to glow with the moonlight, then she noticed the silver chain coming from the inside of the rose, with a frown, she moved her hand to her neck, but she didn't feel the necklace her mother had given to her, her frown deepening, she moved her hand to the rose and tugged the chain, she held the moon made with light blue stone with her fingers, her smile turned gentle, the chain of her necklace had been cut, and she had lost the pendant her mother had given to her, and it seems, the kitsune had found it and replaced the chain.

She placed the moon back around her neck, and with the smile still in place she looked at the forest, where she had last seen him. " Arigatou. " She whispered softly.


Miles away from her, a small smug smile formed in the thief's lips. . .



=======End of Chapter========

*In this chapter, Youko mentioned something about Inari, I believe that Inari is a fox god, but I am not quite sure, in this story, however, inari is a fox goddess.

I think I fell in love with these chapter, specially the last part, didn't you?

There's how Youko Kurama and Kyna met, and there's also a bit of Kyna's past, which is, in some parts, quite dark.

Suggestions, questions, etc, please feel free to send 'em to me.

And lastly review!!!

Thanks!! Matta ne!

Midnight wolf.