Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ To Right The Wrongs of Anothers Life ❯ Merely the Beginning ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

To Right the Wrongs of Another's Life.
Merely the Beginning
 
Authoress: Shapeshifter mina-san.
Disclaimer: Sadly, my wish has not come true. I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho, nor any other animes.
Warnings: I'll let you know each chapter.
Summery: A year ago, Hiei died. But now he's back and only Yusuke can see him, he says he has to right something that's wrong. But what is it?
Things to know: I don't own `The Crow' by the way, oh and in this fic every one is human, save Hiei, who is dead.
 
-
 
BANG!!
 
“Yeeeow!” Yusuke screamed as the ruler hit his hand, falling out of his seat and shaking it to ease the pain if only a little bit.
 
“Mr. Urameshi!! Why are you sleeping in my class! Again!” the teacher yelled, furious.
 
Jeez. Irritated and in pain Yusuke looked up at his senile teacher, fully intending to give them a peace of his mind.
 
He took a breath,” Well you can-“
 
-
 
Yusuke slumped down in his couch moodily and crossed his arms.
 
He'd been suspended for swearing at a teacher.
 
He held back a laugh as he remembered the look on the teachers face and stood up again, grabbing his favorite black leather coat and walked out of his apartment, not bothering to tell Atsuko that he was going out.
 
She had disappeared a week ago and he had no clue when she would return.
 
Walking down the steeps to the complex he mind up his mind where he would go while he surveyed the weather. It was still only a little after lunch, as his suspension was effective immediately.
 
He would go and see Hiei.
 
The sun was high in the sky, past its zenith and there were clouds forming on the horizon that gave of an angry black shadow on the ground below it. Birds took flight and the mummer of people from the street below reached his ears, he searched his pockets for a smoke and sighed angrily when he found none.
 
He would have to take a detour, seem as he was legally under age still he would need to track his buyer down and hassle him until they gave in.
 
-
 
It was like standing on top of a trap door in a dark room.
 
You don't move because you know that the edge is near, you can hear painful screams reaching up from below you, the darkness consumes you, and your cold and clammy skin begs for air, the pressure is too much.
 
And you just want to make it stop.
 
The Trap door is on a platform, you can step down and fall into the darkness, give into the screams, become one of the screams your self. Or you can wait in anticipation, while the dark eats away at your heart, for the trap door to open, and you still fall into the dark, become one of those screams.
 
Only this way.
 
It hurts.
 
Either way you know your going to fall. It's going to hurt. Question is, do you want it to hurt now and get it over with? Or do you want to wait, and torture yourself with the thought of the pain you knew was coming.
 
Hiei was faced with this choice, the wooden boards creaked beneath his feet and he looked around him. He may as well have had his eyes closed because he saw nothing. The screams reached his ears and clawed at him, like the cold clammy hands of the dead, back to haunt all them around him.
 
He wanted to scream in frustration. He didn't want to be here. He wanted to know what else was going on behind his constricted vision. But still he did nothing, in fear of falling.
 
You want to watch over them?
 
Unsure of what or who was speaking he nodded hoping that they could see him, whoever they were, the trap door creaked beneath him loudly and he winced.
 
It was unstable here.
 
I'll return your sight to you, however when the time comes. You will be back. The door will not disappear. If you don't complete your task, then you'll fall. If you do, we will see what we can do.
 
What task? He wanted to ask, but said nothing, in fear of the trap door below him.
 
Do you understand, Hiei.
 
He opened his moth to speak cautiously, still not wanting to speak and thought for a while. Finally he decided to risk it. “…Yes.” He said firmly.
 
-
 
Yusuke walked up to the gate and tapped his knuckle on the padlock angrily, almost loosing the cigarette that was hanging out of his mouth.
 
“Goddamn it,” he said looking up at the rusted metal spikes on the top of the gate, then running his gaze down the pale gray concrete wall either side. Two gargoyles seated atop the pillars beside the gate glared at him in warning, their evil gaze unmoving and statue like, “Cemeteries aren't meant to be closed.”
 
Glaring back at the gargoyles he planted his foot in the space between the bars of the metal fence and hoisted himself up. Jumping of the wall, accidentally his foot caught in one of the spikes and he fell with a thud to the ground, his jeans ripping slightly.
 
“Urgh.” He stood up and brushed himself of, pulling grass out of his hair and running his fingers through it again, setting it back into place. With a huff he set off toward one of the back rows, were a giant willow stood watching over those who had been confined to the holy grounds six feet under.
 
Walking up the path, Yusuke took note of the setting sun, the heavy clouds were getting closer and thicker, an obvious sign that it would rain that night, birds nested in the tree cawed and tweeted annoyingly, some flying away to another tree after seeing the approach of Yusuke.
 
Sticks cracked under the pressure of his feet as he walked across the grass, wind swirling around him, greeting him. He smiled when he reached his destination, in front of Hieis resting place.
 
He would never have thought he would be berried in a human cemetery.
 
He'd pondered about Genkai not placing him in hers, it only had a few out the back of her temple, but he'd never thought too much of it.
 
Yusuke sat down cross-legged in front of the slab of concrete, picking at small peaces of grass absent mindedly as he searched for something to say.
 
Finally he settled with a soft nod and a greeting, “Hiei.”
 
The setting sun was staining the dark clouds to a strange orange colour. It was quiet here.
 
He could no longer gear the soft mummer of civilization, or the roar of trucks, he couldn't here the thumping of bass from street racing cars as the nightlife slowly begun to awaken as mothers set their children into their beds and fathers read their news papers in their overly stuffed chairs beside an unlit fireplace.
 
He sat there silently for along time, staring at Hieis name carved into the headstone.
 
The sun had long since set now and he could here the owls hooting and, very softly he heard footsteps, inside the graveyard. Frowning he turned to see who it was.
 
Near the entrance a dark figure closed the gate and looked around, he spotted Yusuke and began to walk over.
 
Yusuke continued to stare as he realized who it was.
 
Red eyes smiled at him weirdly, sticking out amongst his pale skin and dark clothes, but his face remained impassive as he greeted Yusuke, stopping when he reached a meter from the headstone.
 
“Yusuke.” Hiei greeted in a calm almost scary voice.
 
Yusuke said nothing and continued staring at him, nothing reached him at the moment. He forgot were he was, his surroundings, the blade of grass he had been holding fell out of his hand. It all closed off and all he could see was the figure standing in front of him.
 
Hiei died a year ago. Was all he could think, why is he here?
 
Hiei tilted his head to the side and the corners of his lips twitched his eyes closing slightly. An owl hooted in the distance.
 
“Yusuke, wake up.” He said.
 
Yusuke blinked, “What?”
 
“I said wake up Damnit!” Atsuko screamed in his face.
 
Yusuke opened his eyes slowly and groaned, immediately regretted it, and closed his eyes again. His head slowed and felt like it was filled with sand, he tried to ignore the sharp pain at the back of his eyes.
 
“Good, you idiot. Look around you. What the hell happened?” His mother asked standing up and putting her hands on her hips, blowing her hair out of her eyes as she stared down at him, an angry look on his face.
 
Yusuke slowly pulled himself up onto his arm and looked opened one eye looking around him, confused.
 
His other eye flew opening shock.
 
Their apartment was trashed. Tables upended and all drawers, doors and cupboards open, utensils, pots and pans were scattered around the floor, as were sheets meant for beds and clothes.
 
Though that wasn't the most worrying thing. What startled Yusuke was the image of Hiei sitting on their kitchen counter with his legs crossed and arms in his lap watching them.
 
His mouth feel open and he tried to speak, not taking his eyes of Hiei who stared at him quietly.
 
“Let me guess you got drunk and deiced to take your woes out on the apartment?” Atsuko said turning at the torso slightly to get a better look at the apartment before turning back to Yusuke who still lay sprawled on the floor staring at the bench.
 
Raising an eyebrow she turned to see what he was looking at and found nothing. She frowned and looked back to her son, “What are you looking at?” she asked.
 
Yusuke looked back up to Atsuko, “You…you can't see him?” he asked looking back to Hiei again.
 
“See who? There is no one there.” She said looking back to the kitchen.
 
True to her word Hiei was gone, Yusuke frowned and putt his head into his hands, rubbing his face and sat up slowly, the world spinning around him sluggishly.
 
Atsuko looked at him weirdly, “You really need to cut back on the grog.” She said, turning on her heal and disappearing into her room for a while. Leaving Yusuke alone again.
 
Yusuke racked his fingers through his hair and looked around again for Hiei.
 
Had it all been a dream?
 
He didn't even remember getting drunk and passing out. But that didn't explain Hiei sitting on the kitchen bench…
 
He looked out the window, it was dark still, and he could see rain.
 
Atsuko walked back into the room with her wallet and a fresh pack off cigarettes, “I'm going out again,” she said pulling down her singlet that refused to cover her bellybutton. “So don't trash the joint again and clean it up before I get back. I left some money in the Freezer for you to by food and crap like that with.” She lectured tucking her hair behind her ear.
 
“Don't do drugs (or take any), don't get any girls pregnant until I come back, if that asshole of a landlord demands to for you too pay the bills tell him I'm out getting the money now. We can't afford any extra crap until I get back so spend your money wisely.” She said walking to the door and opening it before looking back to the half asleep Yusuke who was just staring at her.
 
She frowned. “Are you okay?” she asked pulling her dark blue top down again.
 
Yusuke nodded. “Yeah.”
 
Atsuko didn't say anything and stared at him for a while. She tapped the door twice and nodded, “Okay I'll see you later.” and she closed the door behind her, faintly he could still here her yell `No parties either!!' down the corridor.
 
Yusuke let out a heavy sigh and picked himself up off the stained floor. Walking, albeit wobbly, to his room he pulled open the door and flopped down onto his bed, leaving his door open.
 
Fully intending to sleep off his hang over.
 
His eyes shot open when the door to his room slid closed by itself and he heard someone walk in and stand near his bed.
 
Is that…?
 
“Your mother is useless.” The person said in a familiar deep voice.
 
Yusuke shot up in his bed and stared up at the figure standing beside him.
 
Hiei stared down at him calmly, His red eyes seeming to shimmer and stand out amongst his black clothes and pale almost porcelain like skin, he had dark kohl rimming his eyes. He wasn't wearing the cloak he usually wore, wich was to be expected because it was burnt along with his body when he died, instead he wore black pants and a black dress shirt under a black knee length coat.
 
“Hiei!” Yusuke in surprise.
 
Hiei just stared at him and raised and eyebrow.
 
“What…how the…why are you here! Your dead!” He stumbled over his words.
 
Hieis expression deadpanned and he turned around, looking at Yusukes messy room, before walking over to his mirror and staring at the picture of his old friends, “I don't know.”
 
Hiei reached out and pulled the photo off the mirror, the thin tape still sticking to the picture and he brought it closer to his face to get a better look.
 
“But…but…” Yusuke couldn't think clearly, this was mind-boggling; Hiei was back from the dead. That wasn't meant to happen!!
 
Hiei had died almost a year ago, so why was he standing in his room holding a picture of all his friends at the park back when he was still alive?
 
“What the hell is going on?” he muttered falling back onto his bed and raking a hand through his hair again.
 
“They sent me back.” Hiei said finally, placing the picture back onto the mirror and walking over to Yusuke, sitting beside him with crossed legs.
 
Yusuke blinked and looked over to him, “Who?”
 
Hiei shock his head and placed a finger to his pale lips. “It's a secret.”
 
Yusuke frowned. “What do you mean?”
 
Hiei stared at him “I can't say. I'm not aloud too.”
 
-
A/N:
 
Heh. Heh. The bit were Yusuke gets hit with the ruler is my favorite (it was inspired by Donnie Darko - a good movie, I urge you to watch it.), um… I have a reason for why only Yusuke can see him, but you'll have to wait and find out why later.