Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Watching You ❯ A Dusty Picture ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

BlackRoseVixen05: Hello, and welcome to the second chapter of “Watching You”. A big thank you to all who reviewed. You're the ones who made this chapter possible. And now, on with the fic!

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho.
 
Chapter Two
 
The next morning, Kurama awoke to the sound of someone knocking on the front door. He rolled onto his side and covered his head with his pillow, hoping that whoever it was would just go away.
 
After five minutes, Kurama realized that this person was very persistent. Groaning, Kurama stepped out of bed, and headed downstairs.
 
“Kurama! I know you're in there! Hurry up, would ya?!” the unmistakable voice of Yusuke yelled.
 
“Yes, yes, I'm coming,” Kurama said, opening the door.
 
“Sure took your time, Fox-boy. What were you doing in there?” Yusuke asked.
 
“Well, I was sleeping,” Kurama answered, his eyebrow twitching in annoyance.
 
“Jeez, I can see someone's not a morning person,” Yusuke mumbled.
 
“Is there something I can help you with, Yusuke?” Kurama asked, his patience beginning to run thin.
 
“Yeah, I came to tell you that Koenma wants us at Genkai's temple in an hour. He said he wanted to talk to us about something. I tried to call and tell you, but you didn't answer,” Yusuke said.
 
“Oh? That's strange. I didn't even hear the phone,” Kurama said, running his hand through his slightly tangled hair. “But I suppose it doesn't matter. Thank you for telling me. Would you like to come in? It'll only take me a moment to get ready.”
 
“Sure, thanks,” Yusuke said with his usual cocky grin.
 
Kurama smiled as he stepped aside so that Yusuke could enter his home. Kurama closed the door and turned to go upstairs. Before he reached the stairs, Kurama stole a quick glance at the clock sitting on the living room table.
 
`9:30am? Hmm, something really must be up if Koenma needs us again so soon,' Kurama thought, remembering that they had just returned from a mission the day before.
 
“Hmm? Something wrong, Kurama?” Yusuke asked, noticing his friend's thoughtful expression.
 
“Oh, it's nothing, Yusuke. Just thinking,” Kurama said with a slight smile. Yusuke just shrugged and followed the kitsune upstairs.
 
They entered Kurama's room a few moments later. He opened the door to his room and headed towards the bathroom.
 
“Make yourself comfortable, Yusuke. I won't be long,” the kitsune said from inside the bathroom.
 
“'Kay, thanks,” Yusuke mumbled, knowing the fox would be able to hear him.
 
Yusuke sat down on the fox's bed, resting his head on his fist, waiting for him to get dressed. Glancing around Kurama's room, his eyes fell to something on the bed next to him. It was an old black hat. He picked it up and looked at it curiously.
 
`Surely this isn't Kurama's,' he thought was a slight chuckle.
 
He shrugged and put the hat down again. He then stood and began walk circles around the fox's room. He stopped briefly to look at the pictures on the dresser. There was one of Kurama and his human Mother, one of Kurama with his stepbrother, and several other family photos.
 
He was about to walk away when a picture at the back of the shelf caught his eye. Since it was sitting behind all the other photos, he couldn't get a good look at it. But his curiosity soon got the better of him and he slowly reached for it.
 
He picked up the photo and gently brushed away the thin layer of dust that covered the image. When the dust was cleared, Yusuke eyed the picture strangely.
 
It was a sketch of Kurama in his demon form. He was sitting in a beautiful grassy meadow, leaning again an exotic-looking tree. His arms were folded comfortably behind his head and his tail was rested on his lap. His golden eyes were closed and there was small smile on his face.
 
This was the first time Yusuke had ever seen Kurama's demon form looking so…innocent. But this wasn't the only thing that confused him. What he was most curious about was the second demon in the photo. The demon who was lying on the ground next to Kurama.
 
The demon was lying on its stomach. His eyes were also closed, and his arms were folded underneath his head like a cushion. The demon had pale skin and long black hair. It was dressed in all black and gray. He had a silver necklace with a ruby in the center. It also had long pointed ears and two large bat-like wings on its back.
 
`I wonder who that is?' Yusuke thought, tilting his head to the side. `Maybe he was friends with Kurama back then…'
 
Yusuke took a closer look at the demon. There was something familiar about him. Yusuke then noticed the hat the demon was wearing. He turned and looked at the hat on the bed, then back at the one worn by the demon. They were the same.
 
`Wow, that's odd,' he thought again.
 
Yusuke snapped out of his thoughts when he heard the bathroom door open. He turned to see Kurama re-entering the room. The fox was dressed in a pair of jeans and a white button-up shirt. He was currently brushing his hair and giving Yusuke an odd look.
 
“What are you doing?” Kurama asked, once again running the brush through his hair.
 
“Oh, uh, nothing. Just, uh, ya know, lookin' around,” Yusuke said with a nervous chuckle. He didn't want to seem like he was snooping, although he was. But he didn't want Kurama to know that. So, he quickly returned the picture to its original spot on the shelf.
 
“You like the picture? I drew it myself,” Kurama said with a smile.
 
“Wow, you drew that? It's cool,” Yusuke said, grinning.
 
“Thanks,” Kurama said, his smile turning slightly sad.
 
“Um, who's that in the picture with you?” Yusuke asked, pointing to the dark-clad demon.
 
“Oh, that's an old friend of mine. His name is Kuronue,” Kurama said, shifting his gaze to the floor.
 
“Oh, I had a hunch he probably was. And, uh, isn't that his hat?” he asked, motioning to the hat on the bed.
 
“Yes, he wore this silly thing everywhere,” Kurama said, picking up the hat and placing it on the bookshelf next to his bed.
 
“So…where is he?” Yusuke asked, hoping he wasn't asking a question he would regret later. He noticed Kurama inhale and exhale slowly and he knew that he probably had.
 
“He died…a long time ago,” Kurama said, his voice quiet and sad.
 
“Oh,…sorry,” Yusuke whispered, feeling guilty for asking.
 
“It's alright, Yusuke. You have nothing to be sorry for. I just wish I could have…” Kurama trailed off, not finishing his sentence.
 
“Kurama…” Yusuke said, reaching out to touch his friend's shoulder.
 
“Heh, it's nothing, Yusuke. So, are you ready to go?” Kurama said, putting on a fake smile.
 
Yusuke easily saw through the fox's smile, but he decided to keep his mouth shut this time. He also noticed that, even though the fox was smiling, his eyes were full of unshed tears.
 
Kurama put his hairbrush down on the dresser and quickly walked past Yusuke. He watched as Kurama left the room, listening as the fox made his way down the staircase.
 
Sighing, Yusuke took another glance at the picture before exiting the room as well. He hadn't meant to upset Kurama. He thought maybe he should apologize, but something told him that for now, he should just shut up and stay shut.
 
The two left Kurama's house a few minutes later. They traveled to Genkai's temple in silence. Yusuke thought it was probably best. Kurama walked next to Yusuke, hands in his pockets, and his head hanging low.
 
For some reason, Kurama just couldn't get Kuronue off his mind. He wished he knew why. Perhaps Kuronue's spirit was trying to tell him something. Kurama's thoughts were interrupted as a rustle in the treetops caught his attention.
 
He looked up quickly, but saw nothing. His eye narrowed dangerously as he knew what it was. His mind then shifted back to the mysterious stranger from last night. Who was he? Why was he following him? And most importantly, what did he want?
 
“What's the matter? Did you see something?” Yusuke asked.
 
“Huh? Oh, nothing, Yusuke. Just…my imagination,” the fox said, walking ahead of the spirit detective.
 
Yusuke quirked an eyebrow before following after the redhead. As he walked away, Yusuke glanced over his shoulder, looking back at the tree. But he too, saw nothing. So, he just shrugged if off. He had other things to worry about right now. Like why Koenma was calling this meeting at Genkai's.
 
`What does that little brat want now?' Yusuke wondered.
 
In the Treetops
 
From the top of a high tree, the same cloaked figure watched as Kurama and Yusuke made their way down the sidewalk. The figure leaped from its branch and flitted off after them.
 
`We'll meet again soon, Fox. I promise.'
 
End Chapter two
 
BlackRoseVixen05: Well, there you have it, folks. Chapter two. I hope you enjoyed it. And just so you know, I will need three or more reviews before I update again. So, please, don't let this fic die. R&R!!!!