Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Watching You ❯ The Morning After ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

BlackRoseVixen05: I AM SO SORRY!!!! (bows down to whatever readers I have left) I know that I have been away for a really long time, but I am back now, I hope. Here's the eighth chapter. Please don't kill me!
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho.
Chapter Eight
 
Kurama awoke at around ten AM the next morning, though he was unaware of the time. His eyes fluttered open and he looked around, the memories from the previous day began flooding his mind. He almost panicked when he didn't see Kuro. He lifted his head and looked around a little more. His heartbeat slowed down when he saw his friend sitting out near the mouth of the cave.
 
He gave a small sigh of relief, `So, it wasn't a dream,' the fox thought to himself as he got up, making his way toward his friend.
 
Kuro's pointed ears twitched when he heard footsteps approaching him from behind, and he turned to see Kurama. “Morning,” he said, smiling and scooting over so that his friend could sit down next to him.
 
“Good morning,” the fox replied, sitting down, “I see you kept your promise,” he said in a playful tone.
 
Kuro grinned at him, “Of course,” he said, lightly punching his partner's arm. He then remembered something, “Hey, how's your shoulder?” he asked, looking over the bandages.
 
Kurama blinked for a moment and moved his shoulder, “Feels just fine,” he said, smiling. “The medicine must have worked,” he added, flexing his shoulder a little more.
 
Kuro chuckled, “Was there any doubt in your mind?” he asked, grinning at Kurama.
 
The fox gave him a look, “Oh, no, of course not!” he said sarcastically, making Kuro laugh even harder. At least his friend was feeling better.
 
The fox then sighed and stood up, “I really have to get going now. I've got to find the others,” he said, looking down at Kuro who still sat on the floor. “You're coming with me, aren't you?” Kurama asked, sounding hopeful.
 
Kuronue stood up as well, looking down at the fox, something he was still trying to get used to, “Yeah, like I would let you go alone. Besides, we have a lot to catch up on,” he said, smiling and poking Kurama's forehead.
 
Kurama smiled and turned to go and get his shirt. He picked it up and put it on. Kuro had washed it for him. The kitsune sighed, “I wish I hadn't lost the communication mirror. Then I could just simply contact Yusuke,” Kurama said. He turned to look at Kuro as he remained standing by the cave opening.
 
The bat demon blinked and tilted his head to the side, “Communication mirror?” he asked. Kuro reached into his vest and pulled out an object, “This thing?” he asked, blinking.
 
Kurama smiled and nodded, “Yes, that's it! I lost it when I was attacked by the wasps.” Kurama took the mirror as Kuro offered it to him. “Where'd you find it?” he asked.
 
“I found it laying underneath a tree close to where you collapsed,” the bat demon said, “I wasn't sure what it was, so I picked it up to investigate later. I forgot I had it, though,” he explained, shrugging.
 
Kurama nodded as he listened to Kuro, at the same time he tried to get the communication mirror to work, “Hello? Yusuke? Can you hear me?” he said, speaking into the device. Kuro watched over his shoulder as he worked.
 
The small screen was blurred and clouded by static, but Kurama did manage to hear Yusuke's voice. Unfortunately, he was unable to understand what the spirit detective said. Sighing once again, the fox demon closed the compact, “Oh, well. I suppose we'll just have to find them ourselves,” he said to Kuro, who nodded.
 
After gathering their things, Kuro cast a spell to hide the cave. The two demons then set out to locate Yusuke and the gang. They walked in silence, the quiet only being broken when Kurama would occasionally yell for the others.
 
After looking a while longer, the kitsune turned and spoke to Kuronue, “You know, something's been on my mind about this case,” he confided to his partner.
 
The bat demon arched an eyebrow, “Yeah? What is it?” he asked curiously.
 
“I may not be correct, but I believe these strange insect demons might have something to do with Aleera,” he said. “I mean, why is it that the insects only attack me?” he asked.
 
Kuronue nodded, folding his arms comfortably behind his head, “I've kind of been thinking the same thing. The insects appeared when I started looking for you again. You think they could be watching us somehow?” he asked, glancing at the fox.
 
Kurama sighed and looked at the ground, “I'm not sure…” he said, his head beginning to hurt from the massive amount of questions that still hung in his mind, like the sword of Damocles, questions about the case.
 
The fox demon's eyes widened. He sensed Hiei's energy coming towards them extremely fast, directly towards Kuronue. Turning swiftly, he pushed Kuro out of the way in the nick of time, resulting in several strands of the fox's crimson hair to being cut off by Hiei's sword.
 
“Hiei!” the fox said as the shorter demon moved to stand protectively in front of him, his sword held out towards Kuronue. The bat demon looked very confused at this point.
 
“Oh, yeah! I remember you,” Kuro said, taking a few steps towards Hiei, but yelping as Hiei lunged towards him, trying to stab him. “Whoa, hold on, Pal!” the bat demon said, dodging Hiei's attacks.
 
Kurama was actually laughing a little at the scene before him. “Hiei, calm down! He's not an enemy!” Kurama yelled to the smaller demon, who had pinned Kuro to a tree.
 
Hiei growled, still not releasing his hold on the sweatdropping Kuronue, “Well, who is he, then?” Hiei snarled, glaring at Kurama over his shoulder.
 
Kurama chuckled. “He's Kuronue,” he said simply, trying not to laugh at the slightly confused look on Hiei's face. “It's a long story,” the kitsune added, shrugging softly.
 
“Hn,” was Hiei's only reply as he released the now grinning komouri. He sheathed his sword and turned his back to Kuronue. “The others are looking for you,” the fire demon snapped.
 
“And you weren't?” Kuro chimed in, looking down at Hiei, who glared at him.
 
Kurama, shaking his head, looked at Hiei. “Do you know where the others are?” he asked him. Hiei nodded and motioned for Kurama and Kuronue to follow him.
 
Kuronue began to snicker when they started walking again. “So, Fox, will the others be four feet tall and wielding sharp objects, too?” the bat demon teased, grinning and snickering even though Kurama hit him to shut him up.
 
Hiei growled and mumbled something that sounded like “Baka komouri” under his breath. Though this didn't faze Kuro, of course, he just continued to snicker and chuckle as they walked.
 
With Yusuke
 
The rest of the gang had stopped for a rest in a small clearing. Yusuke stood, looking around, Xandra had sat down on a rock, and Kuwabara had collapsed on the ground.
 
The Spirit Detective sighed, “Damn it all. Now Hiei's missing too,” he said.
 
“No one is missing, Detective,” came the cold voice of Hiei as he and the other two demons approached the team. “In fact, I believe I found more than we wanted,” he added, leering at Kuro.
 
Yusuke blinked at Hiei's words, and he gaped when he caught sight of Kuronue. The picture from Kurama's room entered his memory, “I-It's you! That guy, from the picture! B-But you're dead!” the detective stammered, pointing at Kuronue, who blinked in wonderment.
 
“Huh? Picture? Do I know you?” Kuro asked Yusuke, tilting his head to the side and then looking at Kurama. “Do I know him?” he asked the kitsune.
 
Kurama chuckled and looked up at Kuro, “You should. You've only been following us for three days. This is Yusuke Urameshi, the Spirit Detective of Earth,” the kitsune said to Kuro. He then looked at the stunned and still pointing detective. “Yusuke, this is Kuronue, my old partner in crime,” the fox said.
 
“Hello!” Kuro greeted happily, though the others all gave him strange looks.
 
Kurama chuckled, “Yeah, once again, it's a very long story,” he said, “I'll explain some other time,” he added with a light smile. The others all knew very little about Kuronue, but Kurama decided to tell them a bit more about him later.
 
“Actually, I'd prefer if you were to explain it now,” said the voice of Koenma. The group looked to the sky to see the ghostly holograph of Koenma in his toddler form. “You two are in some deep doo-doo, and I hope you know it!” the little ruler said, pointing to Kurama and Kuronue. “I would like to see you all in my office now!” he screeched, teleporting them all to the Spirit World before anyone had the chance to protest.
 
In Spirit World
 
The group appeared, not five seconds later, inside Koenma's office. Yusuke and Kuwabara landing flat on their behinds, “Damn it!” Yusuke cursed, rubbing his throbbing tailbone. Koenma, however, paid him no attention.
 
Koenma looked directly at Kuronue and Kurama, “You two were in this together, weren't you? And don't lie to me,” the little ruler said, frowning at them both. His frown deepened when they seemed to have no idea what he was talking about. “The recent thefts in Spirit World…,” he said, referring to the group's previous mission.
 
After what seemed like a long moment of silence, Kuronue sighed and stepped forward, “Yes, I am behind them, but Kurama had nothing to do with it,” the bat demon confessed, his gaze lowering to the floor.
 
Kurama looked at his partner, confused, “Kuro? You stole those things?” he asked with a puzzled look on his face.
 
Kuronue nodded, “Yes, I needed the power of the items to hide myself and mask my energy while I searched for you in Human World. Without them, Koenma's troops surely would have found me,” he explained. Kurama nodded slightly in understanding.
 
The bat demon then turned his attention back to Koenma, “I have no use for the items anymore. I'll be more than happy to return them,” he said with a truthful look in his indigo eyes.
 
Koenma sighed, “Still, I cannot let you go unpunished for your crimes,” he said, sounding serious.
 
Kuro nodded sadly, “I understand,” he said, but his ears perked when he heard Yusuke speak.
 
“Hey, Koenma, what if he made up for it by helping us with this new case of ours?” the Spirit Detective asked with a small grin forming on his smug face. “Besides,” Yusuke continued, “it isn't like he hurt anyone…did you?” he said looking over at Kuro, who shook his head “No”.
 
“Well, there you go! So, how `bout it, pacifier breath?” grinned the detective. Koenma was silent as he listened to Yusuke speak, but he frowned again at the “pacifier breath” comment.
 
Koenma noticed the pleading look on Kurama's face, and he sighed, “Very well,” more to Kurama than to anyone else. Koenma had told Kuronue to keep the items he had stolen until the case was over. They would help him hide from humans. The bat demon had agreed happily.
 
“Yeah!” cheered Yusuke, high-fiving Kuwabara and Xandra. Kuronue and Kurama each smiled and nodded their heads as a silent “Thank you”. Kurama also made a mental note to thank Yusuke later, as well.
 
In Human World
 
After being dismissed from Koenma's office, the group was sent back to Demon World for several hours of scouting. The job was rather easy with Kuro around. He was able to see things from the air, and the group could immediately eradicate any stray insect demons.
 
When they were done, the group was ready to return to Human World. It was nightfall by the time they made it back to Human World. They said their goodbye's to each other upon arrival, each quite ready for a good night sleep. Save Hiei, of course. He rarely slept at all.
 
At Kurama's Human Home
 
The fox demon had gotten back home and was quite glad to be there. He plopped down on his bed once inside his room. Though he didn't stay down for long, as he had neglected to undress and put on his pajamas. He had also omitted some other nightly duties.
 
While brushing his teeth, Kurama heard the glass balcony door slide open, “You in here, Fox?” came the whispering voice of Kuronue.
 
“Yes, I'll be out in a moment,” the kitsune called from the bathroom, wiping his face. When he stepped out into his bedroom, he found Kuro sitting on the edge of his bed.
 
His partner had found his old hat and was staring down at it, looking thoughtful, “It's been ages since I saw this old thing,” the bat demon murmured, a small smile on his face.
 
Kurama smiled and sat down next to him, “I found it the day after you had been captured. It's pretty much the only thing that's kept me going since then,” he admitted. “I never had more love for that hat until it was all I had left of you.”
 
Kuronue chuckled and bopped Kurama on the head with his hat, “Heh, I guess this hat is lucky after all,” he said with a small laugh.
 
“You going to start wearing it again?” the fox asked curiously.
 
Kuro shrugged, “I dunno. I mean, I've found you again. How much luckier could I be?” he said, smiling as he put the hat on Kurama's head. “You can keep hanging on to it for me. I'll make up my mind sooner or later.”
 
The fox demon smiled and nodded, standing up and placing the hat back on his dresser. He chuckled when he noticed the picture on his desk, picking it up and bringing it to Kuronue. The komouri smiled.
 
“I take it this is the picture Urameshi was talking about?” he asked, smiling down at the simple, but beautiful drawing. Kurama nodded.
 
“Heh, I missed you, too, Fox,” he said, smiling as he handed the picture back to him. Kurama put the drawing back on his desk and then yawned.
 
Kuronue chuckled, “Get some rest, Kitsune. I'll see you in the morning,” he said, standing from the fox's bed and heading back towards the balcony doors.
 
“Where are you going? You're going to sleep outside?” he questioned, getting into bed.
 
Kuro nodded, ”Yeah, don't wanna frighten that human family of yours,” he said, pausing to look at Kurama over his shoulder.
 
“They're out of town until tomorrow. You could sleep inside if you wish,” the fox said. “Our guest room is vacant.”
 
Kuro grinned and nodded, “Alright, offer accepted,” he said, going over to the kitsune's bedroom door, “And where might I find this guest room?” he asked.
 
“Down the hall and to the left,” Kurama told him, laying down and covering himself with his quilt.
 
Kuro nodded and saluted the fox, “G'night, Kurama,” he said, going out the door and closing it gently behind him.
 
Kurama smiled and closed his eyes, “Night, Kuro,” he whispered before soon falling asleep. This was the second most peaceful sleep he had ever gotten since Kuro was taken from him. But now he could rest easy, knowing his friend was near.
 
End Chapter Eight
 
BlackRoseVixen05: And there you have it, people, chapter eight. I hope you all can forgive me for taking so long to update. Lots of things have been going on in my life and I was just worn out from them. And I would like to say “thank you” once again to Saphira112 for getting me motivated again. I promise you all I will try to do better from now on. Thank you, and I would like fifteen reviews before the next update. I would just like to know that I still have all my most valued readers. Thanks again.
 
- BlackRoseVixen05