Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Written In the Stars ❯ Soulmates ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Written In the Stars

Chapter 10



After a series of vicious attacks, Morfran appeared in front of Yusuke, slashed him across the chest with his sword and then disappeared, appearing besides his two minions.

"Now, as interesting as this is, I will give you all a second chance. You have one month to train Arella to become a great warrior. After that one-month is over, you will go over to my fort where we will have one final battle. You have fun with my servants while I have fun with the girl."

Morfran smirked cruelly as he looked over at the Spirit Detectives, ready to protect Arella and Kurama at all cost. He then looked over at Arella herself, wanting to leave her with something that would haunt her before he left.

"You know, child," he said in a calm voice, "you should not blame me for you mother's demise. If anyone should be blamed, it should be you. You see, your mother signed a contract with King Yama to shorten her life expectancy. You see, after you were born, she went to see an oracle that foretold your death at this age. Being the person she was, she went to King Yama and signed a contract, which would allow you to live a long and happy life, but also cut how long she would live in half. A few years later to that day, she died. Now, I don't deny she died by my hand; it's just that if maybe she had signed that contract, she would still be alive. So technically, you're her true killer, not I."

Morfran and his two soldiers then stepped back into the shadows and disappeared.

Arella looked over at Botan, fear, anger, hatred, pain and sadness all mingled in her eyes. The pain was obvious on her face as tears streaked down her cheeks.

"Is it true?" Arella asked, looking directly at her, "Is it true, Botan? Did my Mom really do that?" When Botan turned her head and stayed silent, Arella stood up and stepped up closer to her, "Answer me!" she screamed.

Botan finally looked up at Arella and slowly nodded, "Yes Arella, I'm afraid it is true."

Arella shut her eyes tightly, tears now running down her face like wild fire, the weight of Morfran and Botan's words hitting her heart and soul.

"I should go," she whispered softly, quickly turning and running into the woods, feeling that she should be alone.

The place she had chosen as her spot of seclusion was the branch of a tall tree in the middle of the woods. The very same tree she has on when she had been hiding from her older cousins only a few days ago.

The clouds in the skies had darkened and rain started to pour down from the heavens, soaking her clothes and her hair, mixing with crystal tears of sadness that she shed.

"I'm sorry, Mom. I'm so sorry," Arella whispered to herself, tears still running down her cheeks. She glanced down at the ground below, wondering if maybe she should allow herself to fall back, ending her existence, for not even an Angel could survive such a fatal fall, but then again, most Angels had wings and could fly to safety. She did not. The fall would surely kill her.

I would be doing the world a favor. It's not like anyone would miss me. She thought as she subconsciously stood up, her eyes still on the ground. All it would take was one jump and it would all be over. All the pain, all the anguish, all the sadness, it would all be over. She would finally know peace.

**********

"A-Arella," groaned Kurama as he tried to pick himself up. "W-where... is... She?"

"Take it easy, Kurama," said Yusuke. "You got banged up pretty bad by that scaly bastard. You just sit tight, we'll find her, okay." Yusuke turned to face Hiei and Kuwabara. "Okay guys, let's start looking for her, okay. The sooner we find her, the sooner we can get Kurama back to Genkai, got it?"

"Yeah, we get it, Urameshi!" said Kuwabara. "Let's just find her. She seemed pretty upset when she left."

"You figure that out all by yourself?" asked Hiei as they started out.

"Watch it, Shorty!" said Kuwabara.

As they left, Kurama started to get to his feet. He struggled, and with great pain, finally stood... barely. He stumbled as best he could into the midst of the forest. He could feel it in his heart that something wasn't right. He just knew that he had to find Arella... and fast.

As the rain began to fall, his task didn't become any easier. Finally, he saw her perched on the limb of the tree high up, staring down. And as the rain fell, everything became silent except for the sound of her heart... almost as if it were crying out in pain. "No," Kurama whispered. He began to push himself towards her as quickly as he could. Finally, he leapt into the air just as Arella began to lean forward. Kurama opened his arms and wrapped them around the soft falling form. "Arella, no!"

Kurama could feel the jarring pain as his body fell against the tree trunk. He looked down at his arms to find Arella wrapped safely in them, his body serving to cushion her fall. Putting the pain aside, Kurama stroked her hair to make sure that she was all right. She instantly looked up, and was shocked to find that he had saved her, especially in his condition.

"K-Kurama?" said Arella. Seeing him in the pain that he was in made the tears run from her eyes even faster. "Even now... I can't cause you any more pain. It's for the best... no one else will suffer."

"That's not true, Arella!" said Kurama. "If you do this everyone will suffer. The people of Earth will suffer having to live through the hell of Monfran's reign... is that what you want?" Kurama looked at Arella, who had her eyes closed, not willing to face him. "They'll know pain like they've never known it before. And so will I! I'll know the pain of having to live without you."

Arella's eyes opened and she turned to see Kurama pushing himself to his feet once again. "Please Arella," he said softly, "don't make me live that Hell. I'm asking you to save me." Kurama took a deep breath, as the rain fell around them both. He reached up and pushed the wet strands of hair that had matted against her face. "My heart is crying for yours... now, and forever, Arella." He looked down at her, his eyes locked lost in hers and the rest of the world disappearing from view.

"Kurama, I.…" she began, however Kurama leaned forward and kissed her. His lips tasting hers, and she returned the gesture instantly. All the pain that had plagued Kurama's body seemed to vanish as he kissed Arella, as did any doubt that plagued his mind.

As they kissed, Arella felt the electric jolt she had felt when she and Kurama had first touched hands, only this time it was stronger and traveled throughout her whole body. A bolt of gold electricity reaching out from the depths of her soul and touching Kurama's soul, a silver bolt coming from his. The gold and silver bolts intertwined and became one, the hold so strong that not even the Gods could sever it.

Their souls were now bonded, united as one, connected at long last.

As they separated from the kiss, Arella looked into Kurama's deep green eyes and know that he had felt it too. Only one word came to her mind that could explain what it was that they had just felt.

Soulmates. Kurama and Arella were Soulmates. Two souls destined to be together for all eternity. This threw Arella into complete shock. She of all people never expected to have the honor and joy of having a Soulmate, especially after what Morfran had told her.

She moved further into his tender embrace, laying her head on his should and closing her eyes, trying to contemplate all that had just happened in that one day. She felt Kurama gently stroke her hair, comforting her from the pain she had felt before.

"Arella," Kurama said softly. She looked up at him, purple blue eyes meeting green ones, "What was that we felt when we kissed?"

"Could we go back to the temple first? I'll explain it then," she murmured, smiling as Kurama took to hand and then both jumped off the tree and headed back to Genkai's temple.

When they arrived at her room, Kurama reluctantly let go of his hold on her hand. She smiled at him before she turned and walked over to her one of her bags, pulling out a brown leather bound book, flipping though it's pages until she found the one she was looking for. She read each and ever world carefully before she finally looked up at Kurama and motioned for him to sit next to her. When he did, she looked into his eyes and let out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding.

"Kurama, if I understand the situation correctly, you and I are Soulmates," she then showed him the page she had been reading before, pointing to the passage she wanted him to read.

"The Soulmate Union is a simple yet valuable belief held by all Angels universally that everyone has one true love. There are three signs that allow Angels and their Soulmates (whether they be an Angel or other species, though that has never happened according to Angelic history books thus far.) to know when they have met their one true love.

The first sign is that the two destined Soulmates notice each other right away. Whether alone or in a place crowded by thousands, the two Soulmates will only notice each other.

The second sign is that when their skin meets (in the hand or wrist area) a bolt of electricity from their souls will run though them and try and make a connection with the other person. The bolt running though them is not painful.

The third and final sign is the kiss. The two will first kiss only when one of the person's emotions is very high. When they kiss, the two will again feel the electric bolts. The two bolts will intertwine, creating a bond between them so strong that they will never want to be apart.

With the Soulmate bond, certain abilities are gained. The Soulmates can often feel the other's emotions. They can also speak to each other telepathically and if their love is strong enough, they can share powers and if so desired, combine their powers into one. This has only yet to been seen and proven."

When Arella saw that Kurama was done reading the passage, she closed the book and looked over at him, studying the expression on his face at the news as they both slowly stood back up.

"Soulmates?" repeated Kurama. He took a step back, and looked towards the floor as he paced the room. He paused at one point, and looked up at Arella. He swallowed, and she could see that there was some thing wrong.

"Kurama?" she said. "What is it?" Arella took a step towards him. "What's wrong?"

"It… it shouldn't be possible. I mean… isn't a Soulmate reserved for those of the purest hearts. I mean… I'm a demon. I have done such evil things in the past…." Kurama paused and looked at Arella. "And you… your mother was an Angel… the most pure-hearted of all beings. Arella, as badly as I want it to be true… is it really possible?"

Arella stared at Kurama for a brief while, hearing his words. She took a deep breath and took one final step towards him. "What does your heart tell you?" she said, "Forget about the past… just tell me what you feel right now?"

Kurama gazed down at Arella and reached out towards her. "My heart… my heart tells me that nothing could feel more right. That anything else… just won't be enough."

Arella smiled and reached down and took Kurama's hand. She placed the back of his hand against her chest, so that he could feel her heart beat. Kurama looked down at her startled. "They have the same beat… the same tempo… they're one, Kurama…. We're one… destined to be together throughout all of eternity."

Kurama could feel his own heart, beating with the same rhythm as Arella's. He smiled as he looked down at her. He turned his hand and squeezed hers gently as he pulled it away from her chest. He kissed her hand, and used his other hand to run his fingers through her hair. "Who am I to argue with destiny?" he said softly.