Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Written In the Stars ❯ Before the Storm ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Written In the Stars

Chapter 12

Days slowly evolved into weeks and soon, the final day of training had arrived. Arella's skills had improved quite greatly over the short time they had. Hiei was not the only one who had trained her. Kurama, Yusuke, and even Kuwabara had helped as well. Then again, Hiei had referred to him as a punching bag, considering how many times Arella had been able to hit him.

For now though, everyone was asleep. Well, almost everyone. Kin was wide-awake and walking about. He was worried about his Guardian; she had been training so hard and had little chance to rest. Everyone was pushing her to her limits, Hiei especially. Kin knew that she had to be tired, so since today would be the last day of training, he decided to do something to help her out.

He quietly crept up to Hiei's sleeping form and saw that his sword was laying next to him. This was one of the rare times that the sword was not in Hiei's sleeping grasp. Kin bit down on the sheath's strap and started to drag it away. He wasn't trying to steal it, he was just going to hide it for a while, he would give it back later. He figured that without his sword, Hiei would delay the training and Arella could get her rest.

"I will say this only once you little mongrel," came Hiei's voice breaking the silence in the room. He had not moved, nor opened his eyes, yet he was well aware of all that was transpiring around him. "If you don't leave my sword where it stands here and now... Arella will wake up to find that her beloved fox has become a Chihuahua."

Kin whimpered slightly and let the strap slip from his bite. He didn't move however, but stared up at Hiei. Hiei turned his head, to look down at Kin, who waited in the same spot. "Your concern for your master is very honorable," said Hiei. "I assure your my intentions are aimed towards making certain you don't find yourself seeking another. Besides... physically, Arella's training is complete. All that is left... is for her to prepare her mind for the task at hand."

Kin stared up at Hiei for a moment, and barked a jovial response. He started towards the bed, and was prepared to lick Hiei`s face. Hiei sighed and rolled his eyes, turning his head, so that it was facing the ceiling yet again. "Don't even think about it," said Hiei. Kin whimpered slightly, but leapt down from the bed, and headed towards the door back to Arella's room.

Hiei then sighed once again and shook his head, as he was alone once more. "Great. First, I halt my century long killing spree, agree to become a spirit detective.... and now, I'm talking to foxes. If this keeps up, Kuwabara and I will be best friends." Hiei frowned at the thought and turned over in his bed yet again, trying to ward off the thought.

**********

Arella stood on the field, her eyes closed and her body perfectly relaxed. Every so often she would let out long breaths of air, concentrating as best as she could. She was trying to summon her energy light attack that Angels were suppose to be able to perform. It was kind of something like Yusuke's Spirit Gun or Kuwabara's Spirit Sword; only this would be a ball of light energy. Angels could summon light energy of almost everything that existed. Some of the most famous ones were Light of Fire, Light of the Moon, and Light of the Sea. Arella had tried to summon almost every light energy listed, but so far, she had not been successful. There was only one that she had not tried, but that one was suppose to be very rare for an Angel to do.

The Light of the Pure was not a common light attack. The last Angel who had been able to perform that attack lived almost four thousand years ago. It was an attack that not even her mother had been able to do, so Arella didn't really see the point in even attempting that one.

After about twenty minutes of nothing put empty space in her hand, Arella let out a frustrated sigh and kicked the ground. Why can't I do this?! Every Angel is suppose to be able to do this! What's wrong with me?!

She sat down on the stairs and sighed, staring up at the sky with keen interest. "What do you want, Botan?" Arella asked, having heard the spirit guide come from behind her.

"I wanted to see how your training was going and I wanted to know if Kin was okay…" Botan began, but stopped, when Arella turned suddenly to face her.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Arella asked, glaring at the blue haired girl before her.

"I over heard Hiei say something to Kin before about using his sword on him or something of the…." Botan never got to finish as Arella was instantly back on her feet and marching over towards Hiei who had just stepped outside.

"Who the hell do you think you are?!" Arella snapped, not knowing where this burst of courage was coming from, but knowing somehow, Hiei would make her pay for it later, "How dare you threaten to hurt Kin! Do you even know the hell he's been though for the last month?! My cousins threatened to turn him into a pair of gloves, he gets kicked around by the son of some powerful dragon that I'm suppose to destroy and now you have the nerve to threaten him?! He's just a baby for crying out loud! How could you be so heartless! I swear, if you ever pull that again Hiei, I will….." Arella stopped when she felt something in the palm her right hand. She looked at it and her eyes widened in shock. There was a ball of white and gold light in it, glowing like a star in her hand. Somehow, out of instinct she knew that this was the infamous rare attack; this was the Light of the Pure.

Hiei and Botan both stared at Arella's glowing hand. Hiei arched and eyebrow as he continued to study it. Finally, Botan spoke up, recognizing the power that was being displayed before her. "The Light of the Pure?!" said Botan almost whispering. "I... I can't believe it... you summoned the Light of the Pure?! I haven't seen such a sight in millennia!"

"It's all in the motivation," said Hiei finally speaking up. He folded his arms and closed his eyes tilting his head towards the floor. "Unfortunately, even though flying on an oar... Botan could learn a thing or two about stealth." To this, Botan narrowed her eyes at Hiei. "It was her in fact that woke me, only to find your faithful companion trying to take my sword. I can only assume he wished to grant you a reprieve for your hard work thus far. The threat I made was intentional... knowing that Botan would overhear, and do what she does better than capturing souls... Gossip!"

"I resent that you know," said Botan. "I prefer to think of it as catering information!"

Hiei sighed. "Nevertheless," he continued, "now that you are able to summon your own Light Energy, you actually stand a chance against Morfran. And you've earned your rest," said Hiei. Arella sighed and began to smile. "As soon as you've mastered summoning this energy at will and not as a reaction. These are your last hours... I'd rather have you as ready as possible than send you into battle unprepared, only able to act on reaction. Now, get to work."

Arella closed her eyes, slightly disappointed that her free time had been denied. "And if it helps, Arella," said Hiei. "Know that I won't have to carry out that threat if you lose tomorrow. Morfran will."

"I understand," Arella said before she turned back to the field and continued her training.

**********

By some miracle of the Fates, Arella was able to master summoning her new attack within a few short hours and was now in the middle of sword fighting with Hiei. She was exhausted in both body and mind, but she refused to give up. She knew that the fight with Morfran would be much harder, especially since none of them had been able to figure out the first part of the prophecy was. What had everyone worried though was if they had the wrong person for the second part of the prophecy. Morfran had mentioned that she was the one, but what confused them was the part of the being an Angel from two different worlds. How was that even possible? However, they decided it would be best to dwell on the details later and prepare for the upcoming battle at hand. If they all lived to see the day after the fight, they would question it then, for now though, the trained for battle.

Arella was now down on one knee, panting heavily, watching as the blur known as Hiei make his way towards her, his sword drawn. She quickly leaped into the air and landed on the branch of a nearby tree. She felt her heart beating seventy miles a minute in her chest as she tried her best to catch her breath. She knew she had to continue, she knew she had to go on, that she had to keep up her training, especially on the day before the fight, but her body was starting to grow weak and she had not taken a break all day. She was truly pushing herself beyond her limits this day.

When she felt she was safe, she leaped down from the tree, landing on her feet, only to let her sword slip from her fingers, her body about to collapse to the ground from exhaustion. When she didn't, it took her a minute to realize that a pair of arms was holding her. She looked up and saw Kurama's face looking down upon her in worry and concern. She struggled to stand up straight so she could continue her training, but she stumbled a bit, Kurama keeping his hold on her so she couldn't fall.

"You should rest," he said softly.

"I can't," she replied, still slightly out of breath, "I have to train, I can't lose to Morfran….I can't….."

"You heard her, Kurama," said Hiei flatly as he walked over towards them. "Let her be. She wishes to continue her training."

Kurama sighed and looked back up at his friend. "Hiei, she'll be totally helpless if she's exhausted in her fight against Morfran. She needs her rest. Can't you see she's tired."

Hiei's eyes squinted as he stared at Kurama. "Can't you see that she's not ready," Hiei replied. He paused for a moment and sighed as he looked away. "Of course you can't. Your vision isn't at its best when it comes to her. Know this Kurama… in all likelihood, Arella could defeat Morfran. She has the ability… but lacks the skill and the experience to use it. She's not going to gain that from a nap."

"Hiei, she's about to collapse," said Kurama. "She's barely standing on her own."

"Then let her fall!" snapped Hiei. "This is one time you can't protect her, Kurama." Hiei sighed as he looked at Arella who was still being held up by Kurama. "She will continue until she wishes to stop… or until she can stand no longer. The same conditions of her fight tomorrow. You know as well as I that Morfran isn't going to give time to rest!"

Kurama sighed knowing that Hiei was correct. He looked down at Arella, and brushed some of her hair to the side of her face, and out of her eyes. He began to steady her, while she regained her balance on her own feet. "Remember, you can stop whenever you wish," he said softly into her ear. And slowly, he released his grip on her so that she could stand on her own.

"I know, but I have to do this," Arella said smiling at him before she softly kissed him on the cheek. She then turned back to face Hiei and unsheathed her sword once again, ready to continue on with the intense training.

**********

Sometime at eight that night, Arella stumbled over to her bed and allowed herself to collapse onto the soft mattress. She was beaten, bruised, weak, and exhausted from her training, but she somehow managed to find the strength to sit up and set her sword aside. She slowly stood up on her feet and walked over to the bathroom thinking of a nice hot bath.

When she had finished, she sat back down on her bed and pulled out her mother's diary, feeling she could use the influence and the strength to face her fears and fight the very same enemy her mother had fought so long ago.

**********

Amata stood on the hill top that over looked Morfran's fortress, Arch Angel soldiers by her side. It stood twenty stories tall, made entirely of a dark black stone that resembled brick, but was ten times stronger then steel. In the Makai, this stone was known as Hellfire. The walls were decorated with the dead bodies Morfran's victims, both Angel and demon alike. The bodies of the Angels were missing their wings, Morfran having cut them off himself to either keep as a trophy or to use in making some sort of new costume. The entrance to the fort was a large iron gate that was smeared with blood and body parts of those who had tried to escape and lost their life in the process. What made the fort stand out though was the tower that almost seemed to touch the sky. Around the tower was a circular balcony where Morfran likely stood in while he watched his loyal soldiers drag in victims every day. Just the thought of these things made Amata sick to her stomach.

"I say we go ahead with out him," one of the Angelic soldiers spoke, "We can't trust the likes of him. He'll probably betray us and sell us off to Morfran!"

Amata turned to face the solider and glared at him before she spoke, "You do wish to see your Soulmate again, do you not, Tuyen?" she asked coldly.

Tuyen nodded and said, "Yes, more then anything General Amata. I don't want to lose her or our unborn child."

Amata nodded, "Well then, you will do as I say. You all know how important this mission is. Everything is crucial; we must not let Morfran win this day. You all know what you must do as I know what I must do. All of you will be freeing the prisoners and taking them to the shelter. I meanwhile will be keeping Morfran busy. If I am not back after the singal is given, I want you all to go to the Living World without me. Understand?"

They all gave a curt nod in response, each remaining silent until the sudden sound of upcoming footsteps shattered the silence. All but Amata drew their weapons, ready to attack. She merely looked at them and raised her arm, silently telling them there was no danger. She then looked onward and smiled when she saw the infamous youko thief approach them.

"So you trusted me enough actually come. I'm touched," he said, smirking slightly at the small group of Angels that stood before him.

Amata just ignored the comment and said, "Let's just one thing clear. I will pay you after the mission has been finished and all the captured Angels as well as my soldiers are free. Agreed?"

The youko simply nodded and walked past the other Angels, Amata right at his side, the group heading towards the fortress where they were led to a hidden underground passageway that led them directly to the prison cells.

Amata on the other hand though, turned to the hall on the right, getting ready to do her part to create a distraction so that Morfran and his followers wouldn't come barging in while her soldiers were setting the captured Angels free.

She raced down the halls, her sword drawn as she saw several soldiers in the distance. She charged at them, slicing all of their throats in one quick swipe. More guards flooded the halls but she easily beat them all. As the last one fell to the ground, she head the sound of footsteps approaching her from behind. She spun around, her eyes widening in shock when she saw a massive black dragon approach her, a grin of evil delight on its face. She noticed though that instead of the trademark gold eyes, its eyes were glowing with black energy.

Morfran was a master at many things. His skills with a sword were legendary, as well as his methods of torture with his fire. His specialty though was the ability to take control of someone's mind. No one knew where he had learned the ability from, but it was a skill that he often used to his advantage.

"Well hello my dear. I was hoping the infamous Amata would show up. I've heard so much about you and your campaign to free your people from my reign," Morfran taunted though the dragon, "Tsk, tsk, my dear. It's hopeless really. I have half the population in my prisons and the other half are dead, killed by my hand of course and I assure you that you will be next on the list."

At that moment, a been of bright gold light flashed though the air, giving Amata the signal that everyone in the prison cells had been set free. She smirked and looked back at the dragon before saying, "I don't think so," and slicing off the head of the dragon. She then headed for the nearest window and jumped out, her wings spreading out and carrying her across the sky.

She soon landed at the campsite where her eyes beheld all of the Angels that had been set free as well as her soldiers and Youko Kurama. She smiled at him kindly before she led him aside and pulled out a very large piece of the Makai Sapphire.

"I believe this is now yours. Thank you again, for everything."