Zero No Tsukaima Fan Fiction ❯ Zero No Tsukaima Darkness Rising ❯ Camp Fire ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Camp Fire

A few hours later Saito is sent out to do laundry for Louise and while he is scrubbing he notices a faint glow coming from outside of the academy. He leaves the clothing and follows the glow and finds himself standing outside of a small camp.
Three tents are set up around a fire and a log has been retrieved from the forest for something to sit on.
"Halt!" Saito jumps and spins around to find a girl with a wand pointed directly at his face, though he quickly notices something else just below the neck.
"Wait Rain, don't attack him that's God's left hand you are threatening," Seth quickly comes running out of one of the tents and stands between Saito and Rain, "please put your wand down babe."
Rain turns her attention from Saito to Seth, "I told you I hate being called that, what does that even mean!?"
Rain's wand realeases an electric stream and it hits Seth in the elbow causing a reflex and Seth strikes himself in the nose. Seth falls to the ground as his powerful fist has just been used against him.
"Ow! Dang it ba.....how do you know exactly where to shock me for that to happen?" Seth slowly gets back up and gingerly grabs his nose and in an awkward voice introduces Saito to his wife.
"This is my significant other, her name if you didn't catch it the first time, is Rain."
Saito reaches out his hand and waits for her to reciprocate the action but she doesn't making him nervously laugh, "So you are Seth's wife huh, that's nice," Saito tries to keep his eyes on hers but he keeps sneaking peaks down at Rain's chest.
"What is going on out there?" Another female voice calls out from one of the tents.
Seth lets go of his nose, "Airo, you and Hina come out here, Saito is here."
Airo first exits the tent and though Saito didn't really notice before but, Airo's hair is the same color as an olive. Airo is followed by a girl a little less well endowed as Rain, and her hair is a turquoise color, which is a new one for Saito again.
Seth gives Saito a light shove toward Airo and Hina, "Saito that is Airo's wife Hina, she talks more than him but you'd never know because he hardly talks in the first place."
The thought of someone talking more than someone who doesn't talk at all seems a little obvious to him but Saito still introduces himself, this time not extending his hand to her to avoid the awkward situation playing out again.
Saito looks around the camp and notices something is missing, "Where's Zion, you have three tents but he doesn't seem to be around?"
Seth looks at Airo and gets a shrug as a response, "I guess we don't know where he is."
"Hm, well I hope he doesn't do anything to upset one of the girls here, they are all quite dangerous if you rub them the wrong way." Saito's personal experience now giving him at least some insight into the possible danger at the Tristain Magic Academy.
Rain finally puts her wand back into her pocket, "Well I guess he can take care of himself, he doesn't need a baby sitter. He is the left eye of God after all."
Rain sits down on the log and warms her hands by the fire, Seth and rest join her around the fire. A long silence follows only interrupted by the random cracks from the fire.
Saito looks at the two couples, none of them seem to show any feelings for their other until a very subtle movement from Seth when he takes Rain's hand into his and begins to rub his thumb softly on her hand.
Seth looks up from the fire, "uh, Saito, I'm sorry about earlier today, I kinda put you in a tough spot."
Saito thinks about what happened and he quickly dismisses it, "It's fine no one was hurt, you don't need to worry about it."
Seth smiles at the thought, "I wasn't talking about the fighting," Saito clearly doesn't understand what Seth is talking about by the blank expression on his face, "when I asked if you and Louise where married yet, I could've sworn you would be by now."
Saito quickly tries to think of something to say but only, "it's okay," comes out of his mouth.
Rain looks at Seth and then at Saito, "You and your mage aren't married?" She looks back down at the fire, "Don't you love each other," Saito finally sees the love as Rain looks up at Seth and their eyes meet, "I'm sorry please you don't have to answer that."
Saito smiles and looks back down at the fire, "We where going to be married but I tricked her and made her fall asleep so that I could save her from losing her life. Funny enough I did."
Airo looks up at him and without saying a single word his confusion is obvious.
"I died on the battle field fighting an army all by myself. I was brought back to life by an elf that now lives here at the academy. It seems so long ago." Saito looks back up from the fire and finds that Hina has fallen asleep and is leaning against Airo, "So you both where summoned and then married your summoner?"
Airo's silence doesn't say much to Saito this time so Seth chimes in, "I already told you I'm from america so, yes I was summoned and then a little later me and Rain married each other." Seth looks over at Airo and smirks, "If you don't talk more you'll lose your voice completely."
Airo smiles and shakes his head, "I wasn't summoned. I live in this world. I found Hina and then I got my runes and married her shortly after."
"Must be nice,"
Saito almost completely forgot his original question, "Seth why are you here?"
Rain looks sternly at Seth, "I thought you already told him everything."
With a small sense of urgency Seth takes a sudden breath, "Saito there is something we need you to help us with."
"What is it?"
Seth urgency fades but he still looks serious, "There is trouble in the northern part of Germania, and we need all of the Holy Knights to fight it." Seth looks a little disappointed, "we could use the help of the Void Mage Louise too, but if you two aren't......"
Saito stands up as he has become a little annoyed, "What, because we aren't married, why is that such a big deal, you want the truth, here it is, I've told her I love her many times and she has never once said it back its as if she doesn't......."
Saito stops in middle of his sentence, he is looking in the direction of the school. Seth and Rain turn around, Louise is standing only a few feet from the camp.
"Sai...to.."
Saito turns and walks away from the camp into the forest leaving Louise and the rest in silence. Louise falls to her knees and begins to sob. Rain goes over to her and sits beside her as her crying gets worse.
Rain looks at Seth, he nods and heads into the forest after Saito. Rain takes Louise's hand and brings her over to the fire while Airo lifts Hina up and takes her to their tent.
Through heavy sobs Rain can hear Louise calling Saito an idiot.
Seth finally catches up with Saito in a small clearing with a stump in the middle where Saito is sitting.
"Saito what are you doing?"
"What does it look like I am doing what she wants me to do, I'm gonna just go away."
Seth gets closer to Saito like he is sneaking up on an animal, "What makes you think that she wants this, just cause she's never said a word that is only four letters long?" Saito covers his face with his hands, "Come on we should go back, I don't like spending time in a forest at night with no fire."
His voice is muffled because of his hands, "You can go back," his answer isn't what Seth was looking for as he becomes a little mad.
"Saito, listen to me, Rain doesn't tell me that she loves me either, she just does."
"You two are married..."
"Like you said before if the circumstances were different you and her would be too."
"She wanted to get married before she died, I was the only one around at the time..."
Seth runs his hand through his hair, "Saito I don't have much patience and understanding for what is happening right now, just come with me. If you two talk you might actually end up getting married."
"She is so untrusting, she is always angry at me, she bosses me around,-"
For every bad quality Seth counters with a reason why someone in love would be like that, "She worries about you, jealousy is a sign of love, she loves you, see dumb ass ."
Saito stops when Seth says "she loves you," he takes a deep breath and stands up and looks Seth in the eyes, "How would you know."
"I just do..." Seth slams his fist into Saito's stomach knocking him out cold. "Saito I told you I have very little patience for this kind of thing, the Knights need you and your partner." Seth picks up Saito and drapes him over his should and heads back to camp.
When he arrives Louise is no where to be found, "What happened to Louise?"
Rain smiles up at him, "I used magic to put her into a pleasant sleep. I see you did something similar?"
"Babe you know my skills are in force not subtlety, I ahhh........punched him in the stomach and forced him into a......deep, sleep." Rain points to the tent Zion would be using if he was around and Seth takes Saito in.
Louise is already in the tent under a blanket sleeping soundly. He puts Saito down next to her and then rolls him onto his side so that he is holding her, "Let's see if you screw this up."
After Seth leaves the tent him and Rain make their way into their tent.
Dang I didn't get to finish asking Saito for his help!