Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ 'Cause Every Second Counts ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
When you look at me I start to blush and all that I can say is you and us. Oh baby I'm so afraid to be in love with you,with you..."-Blush(Only You) by Plumb
"It was so frustrating! I mean Byakuya does this almost all the time!"Rukia exclaimed as she crossed her arms over her chest."Sometimes I just want to smack him,Toshiro. Smack. Him. It makes me want to pull my hair out!"
She tugged at her locks. Toshiro Hitsugaya just sat there listening to his friend complain about an argument her second big brother had with the eldest brother.
"Hey? Toshiro are you listening to me?"
The black haired girl flicked the white haired boy on the forehead making said boy to rub at his forehead.
"Sorry,what were you saying?"
The violet eyed girl sighed.
"I want you to come with me to my big brother Kaien's house and I won't take no for an answer,Toshiro."
The black haired teen pegged her friend with a serious stare. Toshiro scratched his arm as uncertainty filled his mind.
"What about your other brother,Byakuya? Doesn't he pick you up after club activities?"
Rukia smiled as she rested her hands on her hips.
"As long as we make it back before the activities are over we'll be fine. Besides I want him to meet my best friend,you,Toshiro."
Said boy sighed heavily and nodded.
"Fine. I'll go with you."
"Alright awesome!" the girl jumped with excitement. "Meet me in the front of the school after class lets out,okay?"
Toshiro nodded again and Rukia ran off to her next class. The white haired teen began his slow trek back to his own class. His thoughts filled with the face of a certain aqua-green eyed male. Toshiro snorted at the idea of Rukia getting him to meet Kaien. The girl had no idea that the white haired teen had already met her big brother before.
The rest of the school day for the two fourteen year old's went by relatively fast. The two had met in front of the school and made their way to Kaien's home.
0-0-0-0-0-0
Kaien sat lazily on the couch in the living room. Channel surfing,the black haired male groaned.
"There's nothing good on TV. Why are my days off so boring?"
The aqua-green eyed male tugged at his white v-neck t-shirt and dug into one of the pockets of his black sweat pants. He glanced at the cell phone in his hand for the time.
"Argh,it's only three twenty-three."
A knock on the apartment door caught his attention. Kaien turned off the TV and yelled an 'I'm coming' as he made his way to the door. His frown turned into a bright smile as he laid eyes on his little sister.
"Rukia! What are you doing here? I saw you yesterday,not that I'm complaining or anything."
The girl mirrored her brother's smile as she gave him a hug.
"Why else silly? I'm here to visit you. Oh and I want you to meet my best friend. Kaien this is Toshiro Hitsugaya."
Kaien took notice of the young teen behind Rukia. The boy had white spiked hair with left side bangs and turquoise eyes. Something about the boy just clicked in Kaien's mind. Toshiro stood there nervously as he gazed at the older male. The white haired teen began blushing as he took in all of Kaien's changes.
"So that's how his hair looks like."Toshiro stared at the black spiky lock as he thought to himself. The biggest urge to run his fingers through the black hair washed over him.
'He's so tall now and looking better then when I first met him. His eyes are still the bright,kind eyes I remember...and I wouldn't have it any other way."
"Hey,you look familiar."
Kaien's voice broke Toshiro's train of thought. The white haired boy blushed slightly and shook his head.
"No I don't."the teen mumbled and looked away.
"I've seen you somewhere."
"No you didn't."Toshiro protested.
The aqua-green eyed male had a moment of recognition.
"You're Hyourinmaru's little brother!"
"Nope,I'm a brand new friend. Fresh out the package."
Rukia's eyes widened as she looked between the two males.
"Y-You two know each other? How?"
Kaien smirked at the teens.
"Come on in and I'll tell you all about how we met."
Toshiro hesitated for a moment and then followed his friend into the apartment. As the three made their way to the living room the black haired male began telling the tale.
0-0-0-0-0-0
"I don't wanna be here." A little six year old Toshiro said sternly and quickly. Hyourinmaru sighed as he squeezed his little brother's hand.
"Come on,Toshiro. Why can't you be excited like the rest of these kids about Bring Your Kid to Work Day?"
They looked at the many children running around in one of the waiting/play rooms. The white haired boy looked up at his big brother with a frown on his face.
"I'm not your kid. I'm your little brother."
The teal-green haired man shrugged and the pair continued walking through the halls of the hospital.
"Fair enough."Hyourinmaru mumbled.
Toshiro's brother had told him that they'd be checking up on patients most of the day. The first on the list was one Kaien Kuchiki.
"How are you feeling,Kaien?"
The voice of Hyourinmaru caught the attention of the boy on the bed.
"RIN!" the aqua-green eyed boy exclaimed.
"That's a girl's name. How many time have I told you not to call me that?"
"Well I have lots of nick names for you like-"
Toshiro blocked out their bickering as he studied Kaien. The boy was very slim and there wasn't much color to his skin,he looked a little sickly. The while haired six year old couldn't see any hair on the other's head because of an over sized beanie he had on. Then Toshiro locked eyes with Kaien and he admired the boy's bright eyes that were so full of life.
"Oh! Hey there kid,who are you?"
Kaien's eyes lit up even more. Toshiro opened his mouth but the gray-eyed doctor answered Kaien's question.
"Kaien,this is my little brother,Toshiro."
The aqua-green eyed boy looked at the smaller boy with awe.
"I didn't know you had a brother,Maru."
Just as Hyourinmaru was about to reply an announcement requesting his presence was made. The doctor groaned in frustration.
"Uh...Kaien could you look after my brother for me? This could be important."
The older boy hummed and pretended to think about it.
"Okay,Hyourin. Just leave him to me."
The teal-green haired doctor ruffled his little brother's hair and left the room. An awkward silence filled the room as Toshiro began to fidget and shift from foot to foot. Kaien noticed this and asked the smaller boy a question.
"Hey,why are you so nervous,Toshiro?"
Said white haired boy brought his nervous gaze up to look at the other.
"I...I don't like hospitals. They're a bad place."
Toshiro tugged at the bottom of his shirt. The aqua-green eyed boy frowned but then smiled.
"Hospitals aren't bad places. Look,they're trying to make me feel better."
Kaien pointed to the IV that was in his vein on his arm. The turquoise eyed boy's eyes grew wide as he looked at Kaien's arm. There were small burns near the place where the IV was in.
"What's up with your arm?"
The aqua-green eyed boy glanced at his arm then back to the small boy.
"Oh,well you see the liquid that's in this thing."Kaien pointed to the bag hanging from the IV stand." Sometimes it spills out and it hurts my skin. Why don't you come sit near me?"
The older patted the chair next to his bed.
"If you stay standing your legs will get tired."
Toshiro hesitated for a moment but made his way to the chair anyway.
"How old are you? I'm twelve."
"I'm six years old."
The older of the two boys smirked.
"My little sister is the same age. I bet you two would get along great."
The two kids then talked about anything that came to mind. Kaien cracking some jokes and Toshiro laughing so hard he ended up crying. When Hyourinmaru had come back for his brother,the white haired boy refused to leave Kaien. Toshiro wanted to spend the rest of the day with him. The teal-green haired doctor allowed it and didn't come back to Kaien's room until it was time to go home. He found Toshiro and Kaien snuggled up close and asleep on the bed. Hyourinmaru snapped a picture of the two with his phone then carried Toshiro into his car and home.
0-0-0-0-0-0
Kaien ran his fingers through Toshiro's side bangs,causing the teen to blush greatly.
"You hair...was so much different back then."
The white haired teen pushed the hand away and the black haired male rested his arm at his side. He sat back in the love seat and looked at his sister. Rukia was still slightly surprised about the two having already known each other.
"What's wrong,Rukia? Cat got your tongue?"
Kaien chuckled as she shook her head.
"It's just that...why didn't you tell me you already knew Toshiro?"
The aqua-green eyed male smirked.
"Well Ruki,you never really told me about any of your friends all these years."
The black haired girl blushed from embarrassment and mumbled to herself. Toshiro looked at the clock hanging above the TV.
"Rukia,it's almost time to go."
She glanced as well at the clock and began to panic.
"Oh crud,it's four forty-five! We have to go back!"
"You want me to take you guys home?"Kaien asked as the three made their way out the door.
"Um no,but thank you,Kaien."
The turquoise eyed teen glanced at the taller male.
"It was nice seeing you again,Kaien."
This made the black haired male grin.
"It was nice seeing you,too,Toshiro. Tell Hyourinmaru I said hi."
The white haired teen nodded and began to make his way down the hall to get out of the apartment building.
"Wait for me outside,Toshiro!"Rukia called out to her friend then turned back to Kaien.
"Kaien,I had talked to Byakuya on the way to school and he told me how bad he felt about last night. You know it's hard for him to apologize."
Kaien sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.
"Yeah,I know,I just wish he'd say it to my face...Well I guess I'll see you around,Rukia."
The two hugged and Rukia gave Kaien a sad smie.
"Yeah,see you around."
She turned and left.

A.N: I've just realized I've made Toshiro act like a slight school girl with a crush. But it's obvious that Toshiro likes Kaien. If you do the math Kaien is now twenty years old. I've used the appearances of Toshiro and Kenpachi the way they look now in the manga.