Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ It all started with the fat guy.... ❯ To cope or not to cope? ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter three: To cope; or not to cope?


"Dinner's done!" Jet shouted in the living room as he set the plates down on the small table in the middle. He stood there and waited for the rushing of the hungry mammals of the Bebop: Spike the tame wolf, but has the reputation of giving a nasty bite when you agitate him; Faye the striking tiger, her heart is black as coal and shallow as a tide pool; and Ed the monkey, with her shrilly yelps and and swinging arms.

Jet sighed when five minutes was down and no-one seemed to be coming to dinner, "I wonder where everyone is?" he scratched his bald top.

~Faye's room~

Relaxing on her bed, Faye ignored the call to dinner from Jet. Placing her hands behind her head, she stared at the ceiling. The events earlier had gone to her brain and practically killed her will to concenrate on other things. Instead, all she thought about was how Spike might be attracted to her.

"Stupid ass.." she cussed under her breath. Feeling more irritated, she grumbled and turned over on her side, leaving her to stare at the wall in that position.
( Faye= [] her conscience= {} )

{Faye.. it's a good thing!}

The voice in her mind seemed to be arguing with her.

[.. no it isn't. He doesn't know what he's talking about.]

{... but Faye.. don't you like him?}

[....]

{Why are you always afraid of good things to happen to you?}

Faye closed her eyes; a slight sad arch on her brows.

[I'm.. I'm afraid that it would be too good to be true.]

{You'll never know until for sure you know... at least give it a try..}

Faye shook her head and reopened her eyes only to have them shed with silent tears, ".. no, I'm not going to try."

{But why?!} The voice whined like a small child.

Wrapping herself in her arms, Faye clenched her teeth. Tears began to pour down as the same question echoed throughout her mind. She thought of all the things in the past she wished she knew. Her family. Her friends. Her life. And now, something worth living for has been thrown at her feet.. but she was afraid to pick it up. Afraid that--like her past--it will disappear and fade away, and she'd have to go through all the sadness and depression all over again.

{Faye, why?!} it tried again.

[I'm dead anyways, it doesn't matter.. nothing matters! Leave me alone!]

With that she shook off the voice and quickly stood up. She headed out the door and raced to the bath room where she locked herself in and quietly cried on its tile floor. Not noticing the man who stood outside it's door.


~Spike's Room~

"Dinner's Done!"

Spike opened an eye as soon as he heared Jet's call. He looked up from his sitting position, staring at the door in front of him and deciding whether or not he should go now or wait until everyone else is done.

He didn't notice it until now that all his smoking caused his room to linger with a hazy cloud of smoke and it's nicotine smell. He quickly pulled out his pack to check how much he had left, and found that he had none. He gave a small grumble.

Throwing the empty pack aside, he loftly layed on his bed. He gave a deep sigh and looked at the situation in front of him. [I can't believe I actually like that woman!] he yelled at himself.
( Spike= [] his conscience= {} )

{.. yeah no kidding. Big surprise huh?}

Spike scoffed, [Yeah, I suppose. But then again, it isn't really hard to fall for her... She does have a nice appearance.]

{Hmm, yeah. But that personality of hers, what a pain!}

[That's the only thing I can't figure out... why is she hiding herself?]

{What do you mean, 'hiding herself'?}

Spike turned his head to the side, [I don't know.. something about her and her past that she forgot. It seems to be playing a big role on her personality.]

The voice paused for a minute until it began to continue, {You think her personality is like that because of her past? That's a possibility.}

Spike silently agreed.

{... Why are you attracted to her anyways? Just for appearance?}

Thinking for a minute, Spike gave another sigh, [No... at first I thought it was just for that because of what happened in the store, but then.. there's something about her that I want to find out.]

{The whole deal with her personality, right?}

[Yeah... it's nagging me to find it out.]

{Weird.. Well good luck Sherlock. And by the way, do you mind getting out of this cancer-bearing room? After all, I am your conscience, and I do look out for your own health.}

Giving a small chuckle, Spike reluctantly stood up to walk towards his door. As he entered the hall, he breathed in the air that wasn't so polluted as his is in his room. He shut the door of his room and leaned over it.

His eyes darted to his right as he heard a small thumping of the floor. Suddenly the door down the hall opened up, and an upset Faye ran out towards the bath room. Spike only caught a glimpse of her face; tears were tracing down to her chin.

He watched quietly as she entered the bath room and fumbled with the lock from the inside. The fumbling soon stopped, and all was silent inside.

After walking stalkingly to the door, he pressed his ears to it; hearing only muffled sobs of the woman inside.


~Ed~

Ein perked his ears up at the voice of Jet and the mentioning of food. Struggling out of the weight of Ed's head on his small body, he gave a yelp before pulling himself out quickly.

Ed's head smacked the floor un-invitingly. Shooting up her arms to the sky as she woke up in pain, Ed gave a small cry, "Auwwie!"

She hastily sat up to rub her head. She looked skeptically to the data-dog sitting infront of her, "Ein! Why did you do that? Ed was having a nice dream!"

Ein gave a small bark.

"Huh? Food?" Ed stood up and sniffed the air. She smelled the odd yet inviting smell of food. Ed squealed and ran towards the smell. She stopped abruplty in the hall as soon as she spotted Spike talking to the bathroom door.

"What's wrong?" Spike seemed to be asking rather loudly to the door.

Ed came up behind him, "Why is Spike-person talking to a door?" she asked curiously.

Spike turned to the girl and grumbled, "I'm not talking to the door Ed."

"Would you people please leave me alone!" came an angry voice from the inside of the bath room.

Ed came closer to the the door and stared at it, "Ah! The door is talking!" she gave a giggle.

"Ed, that's Faye, not the door." Spike corrected.

"Faye-Faye is the door?" Ed hugged the door, "Faye-Faye is a door!"

A big headache washed over Spike; he seriously needed another cig. He held his head with one hand and pulled Ed out of the way forcefully with the other. He swung the girl around and craned his neck so that he was facing her, "Listen Ed, Faye is inside the bath room. She is not the door. She is inside and she won't come out."

Ed gave him an acknowledged look and a goofy smile, "Ed gets it! Faye-Faye is in the bath room and she is staying inside because Spike-person won't leave her alone!"

Spike shot her a look, "Where the hell did you get that from?"

Freeing herself from Spike's grasp, Ed ran towards the living room of the Bebop, laughing her head off. "It must be all that love around!!! Wahahhahaha!" she cackled.


~Jet~

It was almost 8 minutes since he had called dinner. Jet sat on the small couch all by himself, staring at the arranged food in front of him.

Hearing a squeal from someone he recognize, he looked up to see Ed racing out of the hall and laughing out loud.

Jet stood up, "Hey Ed, are you here to eat?"

Ed stopped, "Ed's here to eat and Ed's here to tell you that Faye-Faye is stuck in the bath room!" Ed grinned at him then continued running in circles.

"What? Stuck in the bathroom?" Jet looked up thoughtfully, "Oh that's why no-one was coming down! For a minute there I thought it was my cooking." Jet gave a hearty laugh.

"Ed thinks that is a possibility! Heehee!" Ed commented and grinned wide before leaving towards the table.

Jet scorned at Ed, "Yeah, yeah. You go ahead and eat while I go see if I can help Faye." He started towards the hall.


~

"Damn it, why are you in there then?" Spike asked out loud, still trying to find out what was up with Faye.

"Why is it any of your concern?!" came a response.

"Don't be so hard-headed, Faye! I'm just here to help you!" Spike's patience lowered and he did get a headache afterall. He turned to his right as he heard someone with heavy footsteps approaching.

"Hey Spike, is Faye stuck in the bath room?" Jet walked slowly towards Spike, carrying a small toolbox with him.

Spike sighed, "No, she's purposely locking herself in."

Jet raised a brow and dropped the toolbox to the floor, "Why the hell would she do that?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out."

Spike banged his fist on the door, "Faye! If you don't get out, Jet's gonna break the door down!" he threatened.

"Fine by me! It's not my door anyways." Faye spat back.

"Hell yeah it isn't your door, but the replacing is coming out of your bounty percentage." Jet chuckled out loud.

There was a sudden shuffling of feet through the door. Spike and Jet stepped back and watched as the door slowly opened.

Coming out, Faye looked at both men crossly. She walked out quietly and stopped short right in the middle of the two.

She turned to Jet, "There, damn it!"

Then she turned angrily to Spike, "Leave me the fuck alone!" she spat out then stormed to her room.

Spike stood speechless. He turned to Jet who was looking at him observantly.

"Spike, that woman hates you." Jet shook his head and started to walk back towards the living room.

Spike sighed and decided to follow Faye into her room. He hesitated before knocking, "I don't know why I'm doing this but.. here it goes."

Taking a deep breath and stepping back a few feet from her door, Spike forced himself in and quickly froze in place as a startled Faye cocked her gun at him.

"Um.. hey?" he squeaked.

Faye's eye twitched, "Howdy."

Feeling the coldness of the gun barrel on his forehead, Spike stood straight slowly, "How's it going?"

"Peachy."

Spike saw that Faye's facade wasn't changing at all. Trying to reason with her, Spike calmy pushed the gun barrel away from him, "Listen, I know you're angry but... it's just-"

"I don't need your help."

Spike scoffed at her retort, "Why are you such a hard-ass?"

Faye lowered her gun to her side, "Why can't you just lay-off my back and go away?" she countered.

Shrugging, Spike rolled his eyes, "You of all people should know the answer to that.."

Faye groaned and lowered her head, "Aw shit! I forgot, you 'cared'." her tone had a slight sarcasm in it.

Slowly, Spike made his move towards the small bed and sat down. He watched as Faye turned to him and glared while he grinned up at her.

"Look Spike, no offense, but this is something I have to deal with by myself." she noticed that her listener seemed to be fixated on something else other than her and her words.

She followed his eyes, which landed on the small tv and beta player at the end of her bed. She gasped out and nervously turned to Spike.

"So.. you know about it, huh?" Spike softly asked, not taking his eyes off of the beta casette sticking out of the mouth of the beta player.

At first Faye wasn't sure what he meant, then a sudden recognition that he was referring to the tape, she casted her eyes down, "... yeah." She suddenly felt a little sick in the stomach as her shoulders slumped, "I-It.. wasn't any help."

Catching the sadness in her tone, Spike stood up in front of her, "Faye..."

Her face hidden in the shadows of her bangs, she tried to fight the will to breakdown and cry. It was a little too late as she felt her stinging tears rushed down her cheeks and to the floor.

Carefully placing his hands on her shoulders, Spike brought her closer to him. He felt Faye's hands on his chest to gently push his away, but he held himself still and wouldn't allow it.

Faye took a deep breath as Spike pulled her to her closer so that her head was now resting on his chest.

"Faye, I'm sorry about your past." Spike softly said. He moved his hands down to her upper backside and embraced her with warmth.

"No... you shouldn't say that." she replied, "You didn't do anything.." She sighed and relaxed in his arms. It was almost the same warm feeling she felt when he was near her in the store. The feeling of reassurance; knowing that someone was around for her.

Just as her mind drifted to thoughts of eternal happiness, her delusional reasonings started to take its part. It told her that such feelings she longed for were completely impossible for her to reach. Her sudden reaction was to pull away from his arms.

Spike gazed at her for answers. His eyes furrowed at the painful and confused look in Faye's eyes.

Faye swallowed hard as Spike's eyes burned hers. She rigidly hung her hands to her sides; resisting the urge to throw them around the man in front of her.

"Can you please.." her voice breaking, "leave?"

Just as Spike was about to protest against it, Faye continued.

"Please?" her tone almost begging.

"Faye, you can tell me. I want to help y-"

"I'm afraid.. okay?" Faye breathlessly answered. She felt her 'weak' side get a hold of her feelings and was once more a victim of tears, "So.. please?"

Spike wanted to hold her again, but he understood and respected that she didn't want to deal with him right now. Nodding his head, he paced towards the exit of her room. He stopped midway and turned to Faye, "If you ever want to talk... remember that I'm just down the hall."

Still standing at the same spot, Faye nodded without saying a word back.

Hesitantly, Spike left.

As her door closed, Faye instantly went over to her bed and crawled in. She was in denial again; her cruel theory of her own life replayed its morals. She hated herself for even thinking those.
It wasn't soon that she felt too tired to think and cried herself to sleep.


~review pleaze!~

On the next chapter:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spike: Oh jeebus! Not this again!

Strife21: Wat?!

Faye: Are we doing this for the rest of this fic?

Strife21: Hell yea! o.O And if you don't like it, tough luck!

Spike and Faye: `'`-_-;'` ||-_-;|| gawdamn...

Strife21: Bwhahahahha! Now read what's in store for the peepolz for the next chapter!

Faye: -sigh- Alright, next chapter is about hungry stomachs and passionate se-

Strife21: Read the que-cards right, Faye! O.O;;

Spike: -snicker-

Strife21: Remember that this is PG13, not NC-17 dammit!

Faye: Oooh yea.. darn it all...

Spike: `'`O.O;;'` ....

Strife21: ugh fine! I'll do this one too! I swear, if you guys don't properly introduce the chapter next time, after this one, I'll give this fic a sad ending!

Faye: ..eep!

Spike: No! I don't wanna die!!!!! -cries hysterically-

Strife21: Next chapter, The midnight snack among other things.

Spike: -takes the title the wrong way- Bwhahahahhahaaaaa!

Strife21: ¬_¬....

Spike: `'`o.o'` -shuts up-

Faye: -backs up Spike- Um.. don't worry, it's not hentai..

Strife21: ¬_¬....

Spike: `'`x.x'` er....


~laterz, cowboy...~

Faye: .. you're doing that too?
Strife21: -sighs- -_-;;
================================================================< br>