Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Aka Tenshi ❯ Vol. four, Chap. nineteen: Only ( Chapter 19 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Only
A few moments later, Kaoru awoke to a blinding white of light. She moved her eyes around for a better look. White still invaded her vision. The vessel tried to lift herself up from her back. Kaoru found that she couldn't move without being in pain so much. It was then she noticed she felt stitching and bandages all over her skinny, pale body. Kaoru's memories slowly returned. She was on a mission to fetch Pandora's Box for Aka-Kenshin. She had come so close, but then Boss' concubines swooped down and attacked with the intent to kill. Remembering all of this sent shockwaves through her battered body.
Wait!”she thought. “Does this mean I'm dead?
“You came close, but no!” a sharp voice hissed. “I saved your sorry ass while you were bleeding in the sand garden.” Kaoru directed her eyes upwards above her. Aka-Kenshin stood over her frowning. He shook his head at her.
“You little screw-up,” her muttered. “I knew you couldn't do this task without getting into some sort of trouble!”
“I'm so sorry, Kenshin-sama!” Kaoru wailed. “They just attacked me out of nowhere! I swear! I swear! I really did try!”
“Forget it!” he said. “You just get some rest now!” Kaoru said no more. She just slowly shut her eyes and went to sleep. Several hours later, the vessel awoke again. She looked around her. This time, she was in some sort of a temple. More, like a smaller room behind the temple. She was still stitched and bandaged up. Here the pain felt much worse. Kaoru tried to get up for a better look around. The pain forced her back down again.
“Ow,” she mumbled to herself.
“You should take it easy miss,” a calm voice whispered in the dim candlelight. Kaoru moved her eyes above her head. An old monk knelt over her, looking concerned.
“Good, you're awake,” he breathed.
“Where are… we?” Kaoru asked. The monk moved back some.
“I found you bleeding to death and injured in the sand garden outside earlier today,” he answered her. “I took you inside and treated your wounds.” Kaoru stared on at him silent.
“No,” she murmured as she lightly shook her head. “That can't be right. Kenshin-sama saved me!” The monk looked at her confused.
“I'm sorry, what did you say miss?” he asked. Kaoru shook her head as she said nothing. The monk didn't think much about her words. He just assumed that she was delusion from all the herbs that he gave her to treat the pain.
“Just get some rest, okay?” he asked. Kaoru didn't argue not once. Too tired to do so. What would be the point anyway? The monk was only trying to help her. Might as well be nice. Kaoru just shut her eyes and went to sleep.
On the third time she woke up, Kaoru had an epiphany. For the first time since she met Aka-Kenshin, the world became clearer to her. She began to under everything in his eyes. Only one group of people could survive in this world. Only the strong survived in the end. The weak only died and slowed everyone down. Maybe that's why Aka-Kenshin looked down upon her so much. Right then, Kaoru made up her mind. She needed to get stronger. That would take plenty of womaning-up to do. The vessel decided to strip away any and all emotions from her soul. Aka-Kenshin believed that they go in the way of everything. Kaoru had to agree with him. Her emotions ruled her mind since they first met. She decided to cut off all but her love for the corrupt angel. She needed that to function. Her love for him was what drove her in the first place. So, she was going to keep that at the very cost of her body, heart, and soul.
Next, Kaoru decided to throw away her guilt. Aka-Kenshin also believed that was an annoying burden to carry around. It blocked people from their personal drives. Kaoru came to understand after her attack. As the concubines were beating her to death, she began to feel sorry for the girl that she killed for her angel. It seemed more like a dying thought more than anything. Kaoru actually didn't believe that she was going to make it. But now… But now the mere thought of her having any guilt for that dead girl seemed ridiculous to her now. From that point on, she decided to block out anymore regret for her actions from her mind. That kill was justified after all. “It was all for Kenshin-sama!” the vessel thought.
Next and finally, she must cut off all personal bonds in order to maintain strength and power. Aka-Kenshin never really trusted anyone at all. His old comrades betrayed and tried to kill him. Since then, the angel always stayed alone. Other peopled just slowed him down along his path. He more often just used Kaoru for sex and his own sick goals. The girl didn't care. She was just happy to be with him at all costs. As for her own bonds, Kaoru decided to she needed to cut them off. They were all holding her back anyway. Her parents and teachers didn't understand her anymore. Her friends sold her out to Heaven already. No, she didn't need them anymore. All Kaoru needed was herself and Aka-Kenshin.
With those three strong principles in mind, Kaoru was ready to set out again. Despite her injuries, she was gone by sunrise again to find Pandora's Box.
The Weak Will Die