Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Aka Tenshi ❯ Vol. five, Chap. thirty: Rumor Queer ( Chapter 30 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Rumor Queer

Bass stared at her with big eyes. “You want to do what?”

“Tell me how to break into Heaven!” Kaoru demanded. Bass shook his head at her.

“I can't,” he said. “No way, impossible!”

“But why?” she asked.

“Too risky!” Bass yelled. Kaoru leaned in closer to his face.

“Tell me why,” she demanded. Bass' eyes darted around as if to look for somewhere to hide.

“Why do you want to break into Heaven?” he asked. Kaoru sat back with a proud smile on her face.

“I want to steal something for Aka-Kenshin-sama!” she announced. Bass gave her a puzzled look.

“Steal what?” he asked.

“Heaven's purest sword,” she said in a low voice. Bass' jaw dropped as he shook his head.

“You're crazy!” he shouted. “Forget it! Just forget it!” The demon tried to room back to his room in the inn. Kaoru chased after him down the hall.

“Please?” she asked.

“No!” Bass shouted. Kaoru grabbed him by the wrist when she caught up to him.

“I have to do this,” she told him in a serious tone.

“It's suicide!” the fallen angel told her. “Forget it!” He tried to leave, but Kaoru dug her nails in deeper into his arm.

“I can't!” she shouted. “I need that sword for Aka-Kenshin!”

“But why?” Bass asked.

“To help him defeat the Rat Pack!” Kaoru shouted. The demon looked at her with big, blank eyes. The vessel realized who she was speaking to when she said that.

“I'm sorry,” she said in a low voice. Bass shook his head.

“It's okay,” he replied. “But no one can get past Heaven's security.”

“Then tell me how!” Kaoru demanded. The young-looking demon gave her a strange look on his face.

“You won't give up, will you?” he asked. Kaoru shook her head. Bass sighed and lowered his head.

“You are insane,” he muttered. “Come with me.” He led her back into his room. Kaoru closed the door behind them.

-------

Kaoru took a deep breath in the fields. She played back Bass' instructions in her head.

“I'm going to give you a key to get into the back entry,” he told her. “Now, hold out your hand.” Kaoru held out her right hand towards him. Bass pressed a gold star into her palm. The piece of paper lit up and shocked the vessel before disappearing. The demon pressed his lips together.

“Good, it took,” he said.

Kaoru walked to the center of the abandoned fields. She held up her arms in the air. “I summon Heaven to take me!” she called out. Tiny fireflies flew up from the ground and circled the vessel's body. Kaoru closed her eyes as she felt her body getting lighter. Pretty soon, she vanished into thin air.

When Kaoru opened her eyes, she found herself standing among a sea of white clouds. It worked! However, she didn't have time for celebration. The vessel remembered the next part of the instructions.

“It's best to go through the back way,” Bass told her. “With that pass I gave you, the angels won't see you slipping in or out of the building.”

Kaoru walked up to the glass gates. She pressed her hand to the keypad. Wait for five seconds, she thought. The gate clicked and slowly swung open. Kaoru wasted no time dashing into the entrance. Head to the storage building to my right, she thought. It's hard to miss. Look for a tall gold and white building in the distance. I should see a golden sun on the top. Kaoru narrowed her eyes for a better look. As she kept running, she began to notice skinny rays rising up among the horizon. There! She picked up her pace along the golden-paved path.

“At the front door,” Bass told her. “There is a key made of water hanging overhead. Don't grab it. The fingers of angels and humans will cause it to disintegrate. Instead, blow it into the lock. You must have good aim for this to work.”

Kaoru spotted the key hanging above her head. It looked so pretty and solid blowing in the wind. Getting into the storage building only took one chance per night. Kaoru directed her focus to the target. Here I go, she thought. She drew in a deep breath and blew hard on the dangling key. The door glowed light blue and slid open on its own. Kaoru frantically looked around. It didn't look like anyone was around, but she couldn't be too careful. She took a minute to regain her nerves. Right, just get it, take the sword, and get back out, she thought. The vessel proceeded into the building.

“The sword is hidden in the very back of the building,” Bass informed her. “You can't see it, but if you close your eyes and listen, it will sing out to you.”

“Sing out to me?” Kaoru asked.

“That's right,” he said.

Kaoru drew her eyes closed and focused in the silent emptiness around her. Okay, where are you? Sing out to me. I know you are here. She froze when a small vibration of singing filled her ears. Kaoru ripped open her eyes.

“There!” she whispered aloud. Kaoru raced to the other side of the room. The song led her all the way to the back wall. The vessel gasped as her eyes fell upon the elegant painting of Heaven's purest sword. Her hands reached forward.

“Most angels can't touch the sword,” Bass informed her. “But you probably could.” Kaoru tilted her head at him.

“Why is that?” she asked. Bass pressed his lips together. He couldn't tell her the truth just yet. Aka-Kenshin forbade him to do so.

“You have it in your soul,” the young demon answered. Kaoru looked at him rather funny.

“Huh?” she asked.

“Never mind that now,” Bass spoke up.

Magically, a sword formed in her hand. Kaoru's jaw dropped at the bright light before her. “So, this is it,” she muttered to herself.

“Who's there?!” someone demanded as another light hit her back. Kaoru glanced over to see two guards staring at her.

“Oh no!” she whispered aloud.

“You!” one of the guards yelled. “Put down that sword!” Kaoru's eyes darted around for an escape. She didn't have time to think as the footsteps grew closer.

“I… I'm so sorry!” the vessel shouted. She took off running past the guards.

“You don't have much time,” Bass warned her. “The pass only lasts for one hour. When you are finished, run away as fast as you can! Don't stop until you reach the gate. If you get caught, you are done for. Aka-Kenshin and I won't be able to save you in Heaven. Do you understand me?” Kaoru nodded at him once. Bass took a heavy breath out.

“Good,” he said. “You can do this. Good luck.”

Kaoru raced down the path as fast as she could with the sword by her side. The guards chased her down with a pack of wild dogs.

“Come back here!” the head shouted. The whistle behind her only made her run faster. Kaoru shut her eyes, praying. Please let me escape here alive! Please let me escape here alive! The girl looked up and saw the open gate before her. Relief washed over her face. If I can just make that gate… Kaoru picked up the pace and race out of the open gate.

“Stop her!” the angels shouted. They reached for her as she disappeared outside of the gate.

------

When Kaoru opened her eyes and glanced around, she found herself back in the abandoned fields, lying face down alive and unharmed. She smiled in a tired way when she realized that she still had the sword in her hand. I did, Aka-Kenshin-sama! I got what you need to win against them for go! Are you proud of me? She drew her eyes closed again. I need to sleep… The vessel lost consciousness as the sun began to rise.

Mission Accomplished