Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Adventure Gaiden ❯ Two if by Lake ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Digimon Adventure Gaiden 01 - Episode 01
"Two if by Lake"
(aka: "Another Legend Begins")

And as I said, it was late at night, on July 31. Almost the middle of the day for those other guys, of all the luck. I was asleep until Ben called me, saying there was something really important, and I had to see it.

"What happened," Genki said, brushing his hair out of his eyes as he rushed to Ben. It was around midnight, and neither of them should have been about the campgrounds, but Ben had needed to see something. Then he'd shouted Genki's name.

"Well, you probably remember how the lake turned into Jell-O a few days ago," Ben said, his green hair standing up in it's usual style. Genki only nodded -- not that anyone could forget something like that. "Well now it's all just, up and disappeared."

"That's impossible," Genki said, his eyes wide in shock. "Isn't it?"

"With the past few days, anything may be possible," Ben said, creasing his eyebrows as he looked up into the sky. "Sunrise is still hours away. The others won't know until then. But I thought we should do a bit of exploring before hand."

"Hey, what is that that's in the sky," Genki said, closing his eyes, trying to think of the right word. "It looks like it's a... a... aurora."

"Aurora Borealis, the Northern Lights? I learned about them in school, but this is too far south to see them, except during winter time," Ben said, frowning. Suddenly, two brilliant points of light appeared, and burst forth from the aurora-like... thing. "They're coming right for us!"

"Inseki," Genki said, his eyes widening. He was too shocked to be bothered with his English, but quickly recovered enough of his wits to speak so his new friend could understand. "Meteors." As Ben's words finally clicked, he turned and ran, but when the meteors did hit, they were still right in front of the two children.

"They must've been meteors," Ben said, peering into one of the craters. "But there can't be much of them left, after that impact." He took some quick measurements, and figured that it was about 3 inches in diameter before a strange device floated up.

"Not meteors," Genki said, grabbing the one in front of himself. "More like little mini-computer toys... like back in Japan. I'll have to try seeing how it works in the camp workshop this afternoon."

"Intriguing," Ben said, grabbing the other, and examining it. "Like the

digital pets that were all the... rage a... few..." He was cut off as the groud beneath them opened up and they seemed to fall forever, with his words echoing as they did so. "...years ago."

I didn't know what to think, but it sure wasn't friendly thoughts as I woke up to the voice of some pest kid near me. Or at least, that's what I thought it was. I never expected to meet monsters at summer camp, let alone friendly ones.

"Genki! Wake up, Genki!"

"Nani? Itsu ka?"

"It's time for you to wake up, Genki! I've been waiting for you for what seems like ages!"

Genki still hadn't opened his eyes, but decided to do so at this statement. "Kimi desu?"

"Ko•inu•mon," the furry head said, looking at Genki. "Kimi-no tomodachi!"

"My... my friend?" Genki was shocked to awareness by this statement, and scrambled away from the talking furball. "Great, first I imagine falling forever, then I meet a talking furball? That is the last time I eat American camp food."

"If I might make a suggestion," Koinumon said, looking nervous. "Perhaps we should find someplace to hide! If that crazy Boarmon finds us, we're all toast."

"All?" Genki looked around, only to see Ben with one of the things too.

"I am Geomon," the small gray blob said. "And I agree with Koinumon. We should run."

A horrible roar sounded in the bushes, and Genki nodded his agreement. He ran like all hell had broken loose, with the creatures and Ben not far behind. Geomon stopped, and looked around. "I'll try to hold him off," he said, looking down. "You guys keep going."

"It's a stupid move," Ben said, looking at his new friend. "You'll get killed!"

"If I die, at least it buys you some time," Geomon said, his voice steady. "Don't worry, Ben. I'll make it back." So the children continued their wild flight, Geomon watching for Boarmon. He burst through the bushes, and saw the small foe he'd been left. "I won't let you do this," Geomon said, glaring at his enemy. "Boarmon, I'm going to protect my new friend! Geomon evolve!"

As he grew, he came to resemble a small human, with legs of metal chucks, and arms of the same. They weren't entirely physically connected to his body, though, allowing him a great deal of flexibility. His head was less humanoid, primarily a metal rock with horn-like ears on the top. His jaw moved as the evolution finished and he spoke. "Kanemon."

He looked angrily at Boarmon, and growled as he swung. "Metal Jab," he shouted, sending Boarmon rolling in the dirt. "Leave us alone."

"In your dreams, trespasser," Boarmon said, trying to get back up. "You may have won a short rest, but Boarmon will return to punish the trespassers!"

"I stopped him, but only for a while," Kanemon said, looking at his friends. "I evolved to protect you."

"He looks like Vectorman," Ben whispered, leaning in towards Genki. "Only made of rocks."

"What man?" Genki was confused at the mention, then shook his head. "Don't bother explaining. I think we deserve some explanations." He turned to Koinumon and Kanemon, and sniffed the air. "All right you two, where are we, and why are we here?"

"You're in the Digital World," Kanemon said, blinking as he turned to them. "As for why, I can only assume it is because you two are among the Chosen, foretold to come here."

"Chosen," Genki said, looking at them. "What does that mean? It sounds cool and all, but what does itr really mean? Are we going to be sacrificed to some kind of crazy god or something?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Koinumon said, growling. "Here we just saved you from Boarmon, and you think we're gonna . . . what's a sacrifice?"

"It's when you kill someone to get a blessing or something," Genki said.

"If it'll get rid of the evil forces, then sure," Koinumon said, before being slapped by Kanemon. "Hey, that hurt!"

"So, we're here to fight the evil forces?" Genki seemed shocked at that. "Wait a minute, two kids can't possibly hope to win. What are you trying to?"

"Eight," Kanemon said, shaking his head. "There were to be eight, according to prophecy. However a greater need arose. Eight were called, and then the other three. But the third didn't arrive. And yes, you are here to save our world, from the forces of evil."

"Tanemon!"

"What was that," Ben shouted, looking towards the scream. "Does that mean the third did arrive or something?"

"I do not know," Kanemon said. "Come with me. I will show you the prophecy. Ignore the scream. It may be a trap."

"No way," Genki said, rushing off. "I can't ignore someone in that kind of trouble. Come on, Koinumon. We're going to help, whoever it is."

"Help? You can help me get rid of you," Boarmon shouted. "Trespassers!"

"Koinumon, can't you do anything?"

"Well . . . Acid bubbles!" Several purplish bubbles flew towards Boarmon, but even on impact they had little effect. "Uh, I suppose not." He looked sheepishly up at Genki, and started running. "Everybody run!"

"Towards the voice," Genki said, leading Kenmon in that direction, while Kanemon and Ben ran the other. "Didn't you hear me, Ben?"

"Don't worry about us," Ben shouted. "We'll catch up as soon as we can, but he's blocking the way."

"All right," Genki shouted. He pushed himself harder and harder, until something buzzed just over his head. "And what the hell was that?"

"Kuwagamon," Koinumon said, looking upwards. "Get down, he's coming again!"

Genki rolled, and Kuwagamon headed in the direction of another scream, this one more audible than the last. "Tanemon, can't you do something? Protect me, dammit!"

"It's a girl," he said, his ears perking up. "And she's in danger. I will save her, like in all those action movies!" He ran towards her voice, and stopped as soon as he could see her. "Koinumon? Look at her!"

"Such a cute Tanemon," Kenmon said, his eyes wide. "I wish I knew her better."

"Not the seed, the girl!" Genki rolled his eyes, and stared at her. Pink dress, brown hair falling down around the sides of her face, and brown eyes. And then the whole thing was shattered when six other kids ran up, with little, whatsits of their own. "I don't stand a chance with her," he muttered, looking at the relatively more attractive guys in the group. "Even the kid with the laptop seems more . . . hey, is that Paso-kun?"

"Who now?"

"One of my classmates from back in Japan, in my world," Genki said. "Ah, never mind." He didn't move, though, and watched as the children discussed something about Kuwagamon, and finally decided to run.

"Uh, Genki, might I suggest you look behind you?"

"Huh? Koinumon, but she's . . ." He turned around, and heard the wake of Boarmon's charge. "All right, we need to run." He took off, and ended up in the clearing, and tripped over something. Turning around, he saw a small watch, and looked at it. He picked it up as a Koinumon jumped out of the bushes, and turned towards Boarmon.

"Hold it, Boarmon," Koinumon said, inhaling. "Acid bubbles!"

"Baka Koinumon," Genki shouted, watching his partner get rammed. He caught him and ran, circling back around the clearing as Boarmon followed. "Are you all right you little fool?"

"Did I stop him?" Koinumon was still dazed, and his eyes were barely focused on anything Genki could see.

"We're still running," Genki said, looking at the watch. He could tell it was a girl's watch, and it had a fake leather wristband. "Fancy stuff for a school kid," he muttered.

"Genki, we need to stop Boarmon," Koinumon said, shaking his entire body. "Sure, he's bigger and stronger than me, but that doesn't mean that I can't beat him."

"You're nuts," Genki said, tightening his grip on both Koinumon and the watch. "Earlier you said run, and now you wanna fight? Are all of you whatever you are's this crazy?"

"I'm a Digimon," Koinumon said, growling. "And I have to suggest that you let me fight him before I bite you!"

"You wouldn't dare," Genki said, thinking through wht he knew. The first rule of all Pet Monsters was that humans were off limits, right? "Humans are off limits."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Koinumon said, finally wriggling free. "If that's some kind of rule, try this one: The only rule is, there are no rules."

"Sounds like life," Genki muttered, as Koinumon began glowing. "Hey, Koinumon, what's going on?"

"I think I'm going to evolve," he said, watching Boarmon charge. "Boarmon, you can't do this! I'll stop you!" He felt the surge of energy, and let it flow. "Now it's time, Koinumon evolve!" He burst into a slightly humanoid dog, with brown hair and red eyes. His claws were small, but as his lips rose in a full snarl, it was obvious that those were not his only weapons. "Kenmon."

"Trespassers must pay," Boarmon said, staring at Genki. "Nose blaster!" His head pulled back as two rather large bursts of flame flew towards Genki, and his fiery fur seemed to increasein intensity.

"Hound claw," Kenmon shouted, swinging his paw in front of the attack as he intercepted it. He rolled back, and jumped up. "Puppy bite," he shouted, lauching himself at Boarmon. "Take that, Boarmon."

Boarmon screamed in agony, and Genki thought he saw something. "Koinumon, or whatever, Try attacking again!"

"All right, Genki," he said, jumping off of Boarmon. "Hound claw!" A burst of fiery energy flew towards Boarmon, and sent him flat on his stomach. He glared at Genki for a moment before his eyes closed, and Kenmon sighed. "That was close. He's not totally out of the way, though, only unconscious."

"Whatever," Genki said, shaking his head. "Uhh, I suppose it isn't Koinumon anymore, right?"

"Absoluely," Kenmon said. "I evolved into Kenmon to protect you. I'm a Data type Digimon of the Fire element, and once I spot an enemy, my chase is tireless. Unlike Boarmon."

"Wow," Genki said. "Pretty impressive." He didn't know what to make of all of it, but shook his head as he turned towards where they'd last seen Ben. "Say, can you help us find Ben and Kanemon?"

"Maybe," Kenmon said, taking a deep breath. He held it for a ,p,emt amd turned his head before pointing. "That way."

They headed off, hoping Boarmon wouldn't regain consciousness too soon, and that Ben and Kanemon were close.

"So you're a Digital Monster, or a Digimon," Ben said, looking at Kanemon. "Okay, but what can you tell me about those types."

"Three types," Kanemon said. "Virus, Vaccine, and Data. Virus DIgimon tend to be very powerful, and often driven by that power. Some are even driven to find greater power. Ah, hello, Genki. And . . . did you evolve, Koinumon?"

"Kenmon now," he said, raising one of his paws to scratch his ear. "And all of this extra fur itches."

"Kenmon is a Datra type, like myself," Kanemon said. "We tend to be knowledgeable, and are fairly neutral to the conflicts between Viral and Vaccine Digimon. We accept our power, but pefer not to fight if it can be avoided."

"And a Viral Digimon would fight, right?" Genki had asked the question, brushing a stray patch of hair out of his eyes. "To gain more power?"

"Yes," Kanemon said. "And a Vaccine Digimon tends to use their power to fight only against Viral Digimon, whom they think of as a scourge to the Digital World."

"All right," Ben said, narrowing his eyes. "Hey, what happened, Genki? Is Boarmon taken care of?"

"Just unconscious, when we left him," Genki said. "And he attacked me. Ben, this isn't like a pet monster anime. Humans are just as fair of a target here as the Digimon themselves."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, Boarmon tried to shoot me with some attack, but Koinumon evolved and took the blow for me. Oh, thanks for the save, Kenmon." He smiled as he scratched the digimon on the back and smiled. "So, now that all of this is settled, why don't we go see that prophecy thing."

"Good idea," Ben said, looking towards Kanemon. "So?"

"This way," Kanemon said, his voice low. "It will not be far."

A circle of twelve statues stood in a surprising clearing, and Genki was looking in awe at them. They were ordered perfectly, and he quickly saw the pattern. "Kenmon, what do you know about these statues?"

"They're the twelve Guardian Digimon," Kenmon said, looking at a dog-like one. "For example, this is Catsuramon. He's one of the Guardians of Baihumon, the Digimon God of the West. Three of them guard each of the Digimon Gods: Qinglongmon, Zhuqiaomon, Baihumon, and Shenwumon."

"Seiryuu, Suzaku, Byakko, and Genbu," Genki said, a strange familiarity with the name. They were old legends, but he loved them. "And Catsura, one of the Divine Warriors from the legends. It makes a strange sort of sense. A very strange sort."

"I've found it," Kanemon said, pointing to a ring of stones. Genki couldn't identify any of the markings on it, but apparently Kanemon could. "When Darkness covers the world, the eight will be summoned, to save us from evil."

"And the part about the three?"

"That is not in the prophecy," Kanemon said, looking downwards. "Another one like yourself told us that he was calling three more. He had already chosen the Eight, but hey would not be enough."

"Okay," Ben said, shaking his head. "But this is wierd. And what are they going to do at camp when they find out?"

"I forgot about that," Genki said, closing his eyes. "Well, maybe we'll be lucky and no one will notice."

"I think that would almost be too lucky," Ben said, shaking his head still. He looked at the statues, and moved to one that looked like a strangely dressed monkey. "They're going to think we got lost in the woods, and be hunting for us."

"I say don't worry about it," Genki said, leaning against the giant dragon statue. "Have you noticed anything about these statues?"

"They're all of animals," Ben said, not even disguising the sarcasm. "Nothing else special about them."

"That's what you think," Genki said. "But look around here. We have a really twisted rat, then a centaur-ox, a tiger, a really wierd rabbit, a dragon, a cobra, a wierd horse, a centaur-ram, a monkey, a rooster, a dog, and finally a giant wild boar."

"And that is?"

"The Eastern Zodiac," Genki shouted, quickly covering his mouth. "The cycle of years. And look at their positions. If they made it right, I should be able to make a crude compass from here."

"Oh?"

"Think about it," Genki said. "If they guard the four Gods, one God is in each direction. I can identify north, east, south and west from it." He moved to the center, and pointed straight at the rat, and then turned until he was facing the rabbit. "Ninety degress, that's right. North is that way." He was still pointing at the rat, but Ben was looking at the wild boar."

"Uhh, Genki?" He waited for any acknowledgement, but Genki was too busy celebrating his guesswork. "I think we have a bit of a wild boar problem here."

"No way," Genki said, finishing the circle. "It's only a statue."

"No, I'm not," Boarmon said, standing next to the boar statue. "Nose blaster!" this time the assault was directed at Kenmon, and took it head on. "I'm an adult Digimon, you two are only children. You don't stand a chance against me."

"Metal jab," Kanemon said, swinging at the fiery hog. He connected, and though Boarmon winced, he didn't show any greater pain.

"It's not enough," Kenmon said, pushing himself up. "We have to hit him together. Hond claw!"

"Metal jab," Kanemon shouted, following Kenmon's attack. As the energy bolt struck, it was instantly followed by Kanemon's metal fist, and Boarmon was sent flying.

"Not bad," Genki said, running to Kenmon. "Are you all right?"

"I'll be fine," Kenmon said, leaning aginst his partner. "We Digimon tend to heal pretty quickly."

"He's right," Kanemon said. "And don't worry, we'll be protecting you two on your journey. It is your destiny to save this world. We are all counting on you."

"And the other eight," Genki muttered, finally slipping the watch into his pocket. Next time they met he'd return it, but he hadn't gotten a chance yet. "Which reminds me, we saw them earlier. Five boys and three girls I guess, and I think they're all from my school back home."

"That's interesting," Ben said, looking around. "But which way should we head?"

Genki tried to quickly guess which way the others had gone, the decided to take an easier path. "We'll head southwest. And from there, whatever it takes to get home. And save the world while we're at it."

"Sounds like a plan," Ben said, looking in the direction Genki pointed. "And let's hope we don't run into any more nasty Digimon. Boarmon was more than enough.

So it looks like eveything is going all right for us, at least for now. Too bad our destiny had already let us know that we wouldn't be as lucky as we hoped to be. Of course were just kids, so it dodn't concern us too much. Kids are optimistic, and full of hope. Still, what is up with those Digimon Gods? I guess that will have to wait until a later Digimon Adventure Side Trek.

Author's Note: Boarmon

BOARMON is a real Digimon, unlike Kenmon and Kanemon. His primary attack is Nose Buster, however an accurate depiction of it cannot be guaranteed. He is an Armor Digimon, resultant from Armadimon + Digimental of Yuuki (Courage). He is also a potential Adult form of Elecmon, and according to the cards he can evolve into Vikaralamon. Boarmon's alternate attack is "Bullet Attack". He is a Data Digimon.

Expect more appearances similar to Boarmon in the Side Trek, because it's founded, specifically, on the concept of being intersecting to the other's adventure, but not just another retelling. Enjoy.