Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Adventure Gaiden ❯ Shadows in the Dark ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Digimon Adventure Gaiden 01: Episode 2
Shadows in the Dark
(AKA: Enter Golemon)

We arrived in the Digital World through some wierd warp at a summer camp, then met these little Digimon, Koinumon and Geomon. Boarmon chased us down to a circle of statues, after the two little guys had evolve into Kenmon and Kanemon, and when our team worked together, we got him off our back for good. Anyways, after we left that wierd circle of giant statues, we took my advice and headed southwest, deeper ito the forest.

"I'm getting hungry," Ben said, holding his stomach. "Say, why did it go from being almost midnight to the middle of the day when we came here?"

"I dunno," Genki said, as his stomach let out a betraying growl. "But we don't have anything to eat. And we don't know if the food here would even be safe."

"These mushrooms are safe," Koinumon said, swallowing one. "We Digimon forage for our food, and we can help you guys too. Ooh, fruit ahead!"

"I suppose we don't have much choice," Genki said, watching Kanemon reach up to grab the fruit. He then offered it to the children and turned around. Genki took one piece, and bit into it. "It isn't bad. Better than some of that junk you Americans eat."

"Like what," Ben demanded.

"Sloppy joes, I think you call them," Genki said, glaring at his companion. "Not to mention most of your fast food."

"I resent that," Ben said, grabbing the other piece of fruit. As he took a bite, he grinned. "But I agree. This stuff is good."

They continued on, eating the fruit and waiting for anything to happen.

"So you say you, evolved?"

"Absolutely correct, Ben," Kanemon said, seating himself on a log. "It requires a lot of energy, though. It isn't something most Digimon do very often."

"Okay," Ben said, trying to sort out all the information. "But then why could you two do it?"

"Because we are chosen," Kanemon said, chewing on a piece of fruit. "We share energy with our partners, and that allows us to evolve into a higher state. The other Chosen Digimon will also be able to evolve."

"Interesting," Genki said. "It's just like in Pokemon, how they evolve into the next stage. Then they get more powerful and learn stronger attacks."

"I know Pokemon," Ben said, narrowing his eyes. "My brother is addicted to that series."

"All right," Genki said, looking around. "But how can you tell what level a Digimon is?"

"Every form has a set level," Kenmon said. "For example, I'm a Child level Digimon, and so would every other Kenmon. On the other hand, every Boarmon is an Adult level Digimon, which means they're more powerful."

"Oh," Genki said. "And that's it? That's the whole way of knowing?"

"What do you expect," Ben said, closing his eyes. "A scouter device for identifying everything about a Digimon?"

"Scouter device?"

"Like in Dragon Ball Z," Ben said. "Yet another of my brother's addictions."

"He really likes anime," Genki muttered. "Well, anyhow, how are we supposed to know what level a Digimon is?"

"We'll know," Kanemon said. He swallowed the last of his fruit and rose. "It's time we move on. At some point, we will have to meet up with the Eight. On a place the size of File Island, it's practically destiny for us to meet."

"File Island?" Genki didn't know much about the place, but it was already more than he'd expected. "That's where we are, right?"

"Yes," Kanemon said. "It's a rather small island, in the grand scheme of the Digital World, but it's more than large enough." The children followed him as he led them through the forest, until they reached a cliff with an elevator at the top.

"This is insane," Geki said, pointing to it. "Look, there's no machinery to make this elevator even work! If there even is an elevator shaft below it, the car is probably stuck at the bottom, and without machinery we're still screwed over."

Ben shook his head and pressed the button. The light glowed green, and a buzzing noise could be heard from the elevator, and Genki shook his head in disbelief. "I told you it would work," Ben said, calmly. "It makes sense too."

"Yeah, a giant sized elevator in the middle of nowhere working, and it makes sense?" Genki watched as the noise grew softer, and then a bell chimed. The doors slid open, revealing a giant golem, the same color as the rock of the cliff. "Wow, a chaperone."

"Actually," Kenmon said, looking up at the golem. "That's Golemon. He's a Viral Digimon of the Rock element. He usually helps out with mining and tunneling work, but ever since his partners disappeared, he's been a mahine of destruction. I vote we just turn back and head home right now."

Golemon slumped over, his hands slamming against the ground outside of the elevatori. "Did you take the Gotsumon?" He glared at Genki through an opening in his black mask, his red eye seeming to almost glow in the shadow. Two protruding spikes stood on his back, and bandages wrapped around his arms. "Golemon will find them."

"I don't doubt it," Genki said, nervously watching him. "Kenmon, do something!"

"Like what," Kenmon shouted, terrified at the thought of fighting a stone giant Digimon. "He's a rock element, my attacks are worthless here."

"And mine more so," Kanemon said, walking towards Golemon. "We did not take the Gotsumon, Golemon. Believe me when I say we wish we could help you find them, but we do not have the time."

"Kidnappers," Golemon said, grabbing Ben. "I will hold him until you return my friends! Beware of my wrath." He rose up into the elevator, and the doors closed. A whistling could be heard as it fell.

Genki slammed the button as he shouted. "Get the hell back here, you idiot elevator," he said, anger in his eyes. "Don't mess with me! I'll disassemble you in two minutes flat!"

"How very mature," Kenmon said sarcastically, pulling Genki away from the elevator. "In case you've forgotten, Golemon is probabnly still on there. If we come back without the Gotsumon, he'll probably take you too."

"But we don't have time," Genki said, his lips curling in a snarl. "We need to get Ben back now!"

The elevator doors suddenly slid open, and to everyone's surprise, Golemon wasn't there. Genki jumped in, while Kenmon and Kanemon were a bit more cautious. "This isn't a wise idea," Kanemon said, following both of them. The door slid closed behind him, and the elevator began dropping.

"Ah, hello," a voice said. "I can't believe how well this island has been protected from me. I almost feared the two of you had not arrived. I apologize for not being able to greet you, but this elevator is safe for us at least."

"Who!?" Genki looked around, as Kanemon sighed.

"Gennai, it is good to hear from you again," he said, his voice carrying a faint hint of emotion. "Are you well?"

"Here on Folder, things are fine, for the time being." Gennai's voice came from the speaker, friendly. "Anyhow, you two need to find the Gotsumon. They are somewhere in this cave system, kidnapped by an evil Digimon who was living here before they came. You'll need all the help you can get, but at least there are lights. Try to conserve your power for the fight."

"Uhh, Gennai? Ben's been kidnapped by Golemon," Genki said, looking at the speaker. "He said he won't give him back until we return the Gotsumon. He thinks we did it."

"So, it's only three there? I suppose that explains something," Gennai said. "But it means that Ben's partner will be weakened. This does not seem good at all."

"Yeah, well . . . we'll do our best," Kenmon said. "And we evolved, Gennai! I'm Kenmon now, and he's Kanemon!"

"I know," Gennai said. "I'm quite proud of you. I only hope you survive the threat to File Island and make it here to meet me. That reminds me, the other Eight haven't yet reached a point where I can contact them. If you could keep an eyes on them until then, I'd really appreciate it."

"Yeah, sure," Genki said, looking at the watch. "Say, do you know why this watch doesn't work?"

But there was no response as elevator music started playing and the elevator came to a halt.

"Third floor, sporting goods and lingerie," Genki said, stepping out. "The sweet perfume of stone age baseball equipment." He picked up a stone and chucked it into the semi-darkness of the cave, and chuckled.

"Very funny, ha ha," Kenmon said, sniffing the air. "I think we're on the right level, though."

"So, what is a Gotsumon?"

"A child level Rock Digimon," Kanemon said. "They live in caves underground most of the time, which is why there's this tunnel system. This is their home, but apparently something was living here before them."

"I gathered as much," Genki said, turning down a corridor. "But what I don't see is why we have to do this. I mean, why not the other Eight?"

"I dunno," Kenmon said, sniffing the air. "Both ways, but there's something else too. I didn't notice it before."

"What is it?" Genki looked concerned as he looked both ways, seeing flickering lights in either direction. The tunnels were darker than when they'd started, and he couldn't help but think of some sort of western fantasy story. "Like a shadow beast is going to attack us out of nowhere," he muttered.

"I'll wait here," Kanemon said, looking suddenly indecisive. "You two go ahead. I'll find you if there's any trouble."

"No," Genki said, looking at Kanemon. "We are a team, and we will stay together. Period."

"It would be wiser to leave a lookout," Kanemon said.

"I don't care," Genki said. "Either you come, or we all stay."

"Stubborn," Kanemon muttered, as he grudginly gave in. He followed Genki and Kenmon down the path, the light reflecting off his skin in an odd way. "Something is wrong. The light almost seems like it's fading, simply by being here."

"So?"

"So I smell Gotsumon," Kenmon said, his ears perking up. "They're trapped behind a big rock. But there's nothing I can do about it."

"Metal jab," Kanemon said, swinging towards the rock. "Kenmon, if you're right, we must do everything we can to save them. Use your special attack."

"All right," Kenmon said, swinging his paw. "Hound claw!" Bits of rock flew from it, and more and more came as the two Digimon kept pushing.

"Gotsumon, if you can hear us, you need to do whatever you can to get through this rock," Genki shouted. "Anything could be what makes the difference."

There were murmurs of consent from behind the rock, and sooun a more constant chipping joined that of Kenmon and Kanemon, who were tiring of the work. It wasn't too long before the first rocky Digimon came out and looked up at Genki.

"Thank you for saving us," he said, his eyes glowing a faint yellow. "We are the Gotsumon, rocklike Digimon who live underground. Who are you?"

"I'm Genki Karada," Genki said, kneeling. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"And we're Kenmon and Kanemon," Kenmon said, panting as he watched all of the Digimon come out. It was mostly Gotsumon, with a few similar species as well.

Genki noticed that the Gotsumon looked a lot like Kanemon, except for their limbs being directly attached and shorter. "Hey, is this all of you guys?"

"No," the first one said, hope in his eyes. "The dark terror separated us before it trapped us away behind this rock. I think there are more down the other path."

"Can you help us get them out?"

"We can try," Gotsumon said, falling to his knees. "But first I need something to eat. We all do. We nearly died of hunger in there."

"I have some fruit left," Genki said, pulling out three pieces of fruit. "But I don't know if it's enough for everyone."

"Don't worry, Genki Karada," Gotsumon said. "If we can get to our homes, there should be food there. I hope."

"That's a relief," Genki said, tossing one of the fruits towards Kanemon and Kenmon. Kanemon caught it and broke it into half, then gave one piece to Kenmon. "Is it far?"

"Follow me," Gotsumon said. "We'll extend our warmest Gotsumon hospitality to you." He led the way off, past the bend in the path, and down a passage Genki hadn't noticed earlier. Soon they were in a village that was dimly lit, but the Gotsumon seemed accustomed to it. The leader ran into one of the homes and returned with a piece of meat, which he offered to Genki and the Digimon.

"Meat, down here?"

"Some people on Folder have meat gardens," Gotsumon said, shaking his head. "But here on File Island, most of the meat grows underground. That's part of why we tunnel, because the best meat is deeper underground."

"All right," Genki sad, looking throughly confused. As he took the remaining piece after Kenmon's giant bite and Kenmon's ripping off a piece, he muttered, "Just when you think you've got it figured out they throw you another curveball."

The Gotsumon were also eating, but they were eating pale rocks and dirt. "Most surface Digimon don't share our taste in meals. So we ship the meat out to the surface. But lately not many people have been ordering it."

"Okay," Genki said, chewing on the meat. It wasn't bad, even for not being cooked. "So, can we try to save the others now?"

"Only a few of us are willing to go," Gotsumon said, bowing his head. "But we'll go with you, to save our friends. I'm surprised that Golemon hasn't been looking for us, though." He led Genki back to the bend, and they followed the other path, until they reached a similar rock.

"Metal jab!"

"Hound claw!"

"Angry rock," Gotsumon shouted, throwing a rock twice the size of his head. Though it vanished on impact, it left a good mark on the rock they were trying to eliminate, and Genki was impressed. Each of his companions followed suit, throwing their own rock before the cycle repeated. Soon, a digging sound was heard on the other side, and Gotsumon yelled for them.

"Hey guys, we're saving you! Someone showed up and saved us. We brought food, even." The digging paused for a moment, then resumed, and it was not long before the Gotsumon emerged. Gotsumon showed them the food, and they greedily grabbed at it, replenishing their strength.

"All right," Genki said, looking at them. "Now we need to find Golemon and save my friend. Let's head for the elevator."

All of the Gotsumon looked confused. "What is an elevator?"

"It's the box thing that takes you between levels," Genki said. "I'm sure Kenmon can get us there. I guess we're home free!"

"Son't be so sure," Gotsumon said, looking down the path. Where only moment earlier there had been lights, it was pitch black. "The dark one is coming back."

"Don't worry," Kenmon said, jumping in front of Genki and the Gotsumon. "I'll protect you! But who is this Digimon?"

"Not a Digimon," Gotsumon said. "It's an ancient fore."

"We'll see about that," Kenmon said, growling. "Hound claw!" The energy bolt flew to the target, and exploded as it hit. But the light seemed to be drained from the explosion as the darkness began burning.

"It's not enough, Kenmon," Genki shouted.

"It's up to you now," Gotsumon said, fear in his eyes. "We tried fighting it, and we couldn't do anything. But if you think you can do it, we trust you."

"Genki, I need your help," Kenmon said, turning back. "I need you to share energy with me. I need to evolve, to my Adult form. I'm trusting this battle to you now."

"But I can't fight," Genki siad. "Not some whacked out darkness monster. You have to fight, Kenmon!"

"I know," Kenmon said, closing his eyes. He felt the energy, a surge coming through as he prepared to fight. "Kenmon evolve!" He expanded, and ended up on four feet, not just two. His muzzle lengthened and grew fuzzier, and his ears narrowed and became pointed. His tail was like a weapon, and as he faced down the opponent, he growled a deep growl. "Coyotemon!" His fur was gray and his eyes a bright yellow.

"Acid splasher," he shouted, slashing with his right foreleg. A green spray of acid flew towards the enemy, and an unearthly scream resonatted through the chamber. He ran at the enemy and slashed again, this time knocking something to the floor.

"Finish him, Kenmon," Genki shouted.

"Acid splasher!" This time an obvious hit, the enemy was out of play. A puff of smoke accompanied his disappearance, and Coyotemon turned around. "Time to go back," he said, as his body shifted down. He was Kenmon again, and he sighed. "I'm exhausted."

"I can imagine," Genki said, picking him up. "Let's head back, and then we can all go and find Golemon. All right?"

Everyone agreed, and they went back to the town, and Genki and Kenmon rested there. "That was some fight, huh," Kenmon said, looking up at Genki. "I was afraid for a minute there that he was going to attack me with something that would finish it all off."

"So was I," Genki said, grinning. "But he didn't. But, who was he?"

"I don't know," Kenmon said, breathing deeply. "But whoever it was, isn't very nice. And I don't think we've seen the last of him either."

"I think you're right," Genki said, sighing. "But how do we tell the Gotsumon?"

"We warn them to watch out, and warn Golemon if it ever shows up again," Kenmon said. "I may not know who it was, but I can tell you one thing. It was definitely a Digimon."

Gotsumon approached them, and tapped Genki on the shoulder before announcing, "We are prepared to go down to Golemon's lair and petition the release of your friend."

"All right," Genki said, looking up. "Just give us a minute." He pushed himself up and sighed, then watched Kenmon get up. "So, you think you can handle him if he shows up again?"

"Definitely," Kenmon said, raising his lips in a snarl. His teeth showed, and he laughed. "He's dead shadow if he shows himself again." And as they headed off, they hoped they wouldn't have to find out if he was really right. Whoever they'd been fighting was no easy challenge.

The doors of the elevator slid open, and Golemon glared at Genki. "Kidnapper."

"You've got us all wrong," Genki said, leading the Gotsumon out. "We didn't even kidnap your friends, but we still saved them. Some wierd dark Digimon trapped them behind rocks, and almost did the same to us."

"The the legend is true," Golemon said, turning his head. "I am very sorry, human. If Okorimon is the true culprit, then I should not be angry. I thank you for saving my friends."

"And where is my friend?" Genki held out his hand, waiting for Ben.

Ben stepped out of the shadows chuckling, and headed to Genki. "What a ride," Ben said, shaking his head. "One really crazy roller coaster, there. And with meat all around! It's crazy, Genki."

"I believe you," Genki said, supporting Ben's weight. "And Golemon, we're really sorry about the mix-up. We just thought this would be an easy way down the cliff outside. Do you know where we might be able to go for more information?"

"You could try Andromon's Factorial Fortress," Golemon said, looking around. "It's about three days northwest of here, but you'll have to go through the swamp to get there. I would help you, but if Okorimon is still a threat, we need to prepare better security against them."

"That's understandable," Ben said, looking up at Golemon. "And thanks for believing me. And showing me that mine, or whatever."

"I had my doubts at first," Golemon said, a deep rumble in his voice. "But now I can see that you clearly are Chosen. Have a good journey. I wish you well, Chosen."

Ben and Genki waved as they left, glad to have made some friends, but a bit worried about their trip through the swamp. Genki sighed as they left the Gotsumon behind, and Ben just thought.

And a pretty cool adventure too. The original has nothing on this. And even though Golemon seemed like an enemy, he turned out to be a really nice friend. He was just a bit confused. And I hope Kenmon will be able to evolve more again. And what sort of Adult form Kanemon will take, if he ever evolves. Well, more about that on the next Digimon Adventure Side Trek.

NOTE:

Okorimon is the dark Digimon who trapped the Gotsumon, and that Kenmon later had to fight his way past. He is an Adult Digimon of the Shadow type, capable of not only absorbing light, but twisting it around himself and in his domain. His attacks are the Charge Attack, and Darkness Wind. He primarily lives underground. He will be recurring later in the series, during the Vamdemon Saga Side Trek.

Also, if you wish to use any of my Digimon in your stories, feel free. But please, let me know about it, so I can keep track of the growth of my Digimon.