Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Adventure: REMIX ❯ A Day at the Beach ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Digimon Adventure Remix: Episode 2
A Day at the Beach
(AKA: The Rise of Greymon)

So we were all sucked into the Digital World, where everyone except Hikari, my little sister, got a Digimon for a partner. All of our Digimon managed to evolve, and through their work managed to beat Kuwagamon, but Agumon's last attack ended up sending us falling off a thousand-foot cliff! I sure hope we manage to survive this one.

"Koushirou, grab on," Tentomon said, and Piyomon and Patamon grabbed their partners, to at least slow the descent. But Koushirou didn't even try. He was paralyzed with fear, not for himself, but for his computer. "Koushirou, I'm trying to save you, at least let me try!"

"Huh?" Koushirou glanced up and saw Tentomon, "Help, Tentomon." He raised his hand, hoping that Tentomon could pull it off. He was sorely disappointed as he continued plummeting, now dragging Tentomon with him.

Gomamon was the first to reach the water. He submerged with a splash and Jou panicked. "Great, I'm too young to die. And I'm allergic to falling off of cliffs, it tends to cause me to die. That's why I've tried to avoid it for so long!" He hit the surface of the water, but not with the splash or wetness he'd expected. Instead, his hand was on a slimy thing. "And I'm allergic to seafood too!"

"Lighten up Jou," Yamato said, landing on the bed of fish. "At least you're alive. And all of are." He caught Hikari, and helped her stay steady while she sat down.

"Wow . . . I've never ridden on a fish before," she said, looking at the fish. "Let alone so many of them."

"This is awesome," Takeru said, feeling the movement underneath him. Sora and Koushirou landed with their partners and without comment.

"Agumon, you saved us," Taichi said, helping the small dinosaur back up. "Even if you did nearly kill us in the process. Hey, are you all right?"

"I'm just a little worn out from all that fighting," Agumon said. "I need a nice long rest."

"Whaaah! Palmon, be more careful! This is a designer cowgirl hat, I can't afford to lose it!" Mimi was holding on to her hat like it was the only thing that mattered in the world. And she was brought to her senses abruptly when she landed on the bed of fish.

"You know, this sure was a stroke of luck," Palmon said, rubbing one of the fish with her fingers. "Who would've thought a bed of fish would save us?"

"They were having a school reunion," Gomamon said, surfacing in front of the group. As if to reassure everyone, he turned back. "Actually, these guys are old friends of mine. They agreed to help, and it's a good thing they did. I'd be Digi-dust if they hadn't helped all of us."

"More like Digi-mud," Gabumon said. Everyone chuckled at his joke, as the fish continued down the river. They soon moved towards the bank and stopped, allowing everyone to get off, and onto dry land.

"Hey, can we count on you for help again," Gomamon said, watching the fish leave. "Oh . . . all right."

"What did they say," Jou asked.

"They said they'll pass the word on, but they can't promise anything," Gomamon said. "Oh well. So, what do we do now?"

"Well, we should stay here," Koushirou said. "That way anyone looking for us can find us . . . or at least that would hold true if we were in our world. In this world, it seems everyone looking for us has a grudge to take out on us."

"That's hardly a fair assumption," Sora said. "We've only met eight locals, and only one wanted to kill us."

"Yes, and Nya . . . err, now is the time to recover from the battle up there," Piyomon said. "Don't worry, we Digimon will keep you all safe while you rest."

The children closed their eyes, and all but Jou managed to drift into sleep. But Jou was too busy finding new things to be allergic too to worry about what the Digimon were saying.

"Agumon, don't you remember," Piyomon said. "You have a brother, or a sister, like Taichi explained earlier."

"I do? I don't remember having one," he said. "Of course, I suppose there are a lot of things I don't remember."

"It was like you were as a Botamon," Piyomon said. "Except white. You were black, and it was white. Elecmon was surprised, but I don't remember much about the situation. I was very young then too. All I remember is that you have a white twin somewhere."

"But that would be crazy," Gabumon said. "Unless Agumon's twin were to also belong with this group. I know that there were eight of us coming here, but I can't remember who the eighth was."

"I do," Piyomon said. "Nyaromon. I don't know what happened to her, but it must have been something bad, if she wasn't here to find her partner."

Tentomon buzzed something to himself, thinking about the conversation, but not taking part. He remembered a Nyaromon, and he remembered hearing that she had appeared on Folder. Of course, he had no idea how they would ever reach Folder, so he decided it to be pointless continuing that train of thought. If they were looking for a Nyaromon, she would have to be on File Island, where they were.

"You seem a bit preoccupied," Palmon said, looking at Tentomon. "Care for some help relaxing a bit?"

"Hmm? How so?"

"Just a back rub," she said. "Or . . . whatever it is with you." Her vine-fingers extended, and began rubbing him, under his wing-shell.

Gomamon just lay on his back in the stream, occasionally using his flippers to move around a bit, and caring less about the conversation.

"Nyaromon? But how could she get lost," Patamon said. "Something bad must have happened. But we can't let them know about her. We have to keep Nyaromon a secret, or else they'll worry, and it'll mess up everything."

"My sister?" Agumon was still in shock at the news.

"That's a very good idea," Piyomon said.

"Yes," Gabumon said, walking off. "I'm going to go off for a while. Call if you need me."

"Your name is Jou, right?"

Jou turned around, startled by the voice. "Oh, Gabumon. It's just you. I was worried for a moment that you were an evil Digimon."

"No," Gabumon said. "I just want to talk to you. About what it's like, to be older than everyone else."

"Well, it's kind of . . . it comes with a lot of responsibility," he started, not sure how to explain. Trying to visualize it, he closed his eyes and turned aside. "It's like it's my duty to make sure that everyone else is safe, and keep them safe too. And I would probably worry more about those other guys than I do about myself, if it really came down to it. Why do you ask?"

"Well, it's just that . . . I was the first hatched of this group of Digimon," he said. "So that makes me the oldest. And I guess that we both have sort of similar responsibilities to the groups we lead. And also . . . I can't explain it, but I feel drawn to you, despite Yamato being my partner."

"Oh. So, you think I should lead this gang? I don't know about that," Jou said. But even as he turned to face Gabumon, the Digimon was gone. Jou sighed, and headed back towards the group.

"So, we're all set," Taichi said. "Let's head down this river. There should be a beach that way. And where there's a beach, there are people!"

"Or at least phone booths," Takeru said, his eyes wide. "Let's go!"

"His enthusiasm is fine, but he doesn't seem to realize that this isn't our world," Koushirou said, following after Takeru and Patamon. "Hey, don't get too far ahead!"

"Wait up, Takeru," Hikari shouted, running after him, accompanied by Tentomon and Agumon. Taichi and the others followed shortly afterwards, running through the woods towards the beach.

Reaching the beach, everyone was shocked to find that Takeru had been absolutely correct. So shocked that Koushirou dropped his computer and Mimi dropped her hat. "This seems like some kind of alien conspiracy," Koushirou said, looking at the twelve phone booths.

"Whatever it is, I'm calling home collect," Yamato said, running to one of the phone booths. Lifting the receiver, he was greeted by a feminine voice.

"The number you have tried to call exists only in your imagination . . ."

"What planet did I dial," he said, putting the receiver back down. "Guys, I think this plan is a bust. These phone booths aren't gonna get us anywhere. Beyond which, I'm starting to get kind of hungry."

"So am I," Hikari said, looking up at Taichi. "Do we have any food?"

"Well . . . I don't think so," Taichi said, as his own stomach growled at him.

"All right, everybody gather up over there," he said, pointing out onto the beach. "We'll see what kind of supplies we have there."

Momentarily, six of the children had gathered in a circle, with all seven of the Digimon there. Each child emptied his or her pockets, and piled whatever was there on Tai's shirt.

"Let's see . . . we have my telescope, a broken compass, a few loose buttons, a key chain, some leftover cotton candy . . . no wait, that's just pocket lint. A few combs . . . gee, is everyone here obsessed with their hair or something? A digital watch, a fuzzy breath mint, a pre-chewed piece of gum, a bottle of hairspray . . . nothing worth eating in sight!"

"Hey, what's that bag Jou has," Koushirou said, catching sight of the bag. "It's the first aid bag! I'm sure there's plenty of food in there. Hey, Jou, get over here!"

"No way, Paso, I think I'm getting somewhere over here," Jou shouted back, covering the mouthpiece with his hand. He turned back to the phone, only to be interrupted again. "You children need to relax and wait. I think I have some . . .

A clicking sound came through the receiver, and Jou heard a new voice. "At the tone, the time will be 70 kilometers per hour."

" . . . help. All right you guys, but this better be important," he said, hanging up the phone.

"Jou, you have the first aid bag," Taichi said. "And that means you must have food."

"Hey, I only have this to give it to Mimi," he said. "She's supposed to carry it today . . . not that I suppose that much matters here, but still. All right, we'll take a look. But first, everyone get your stuff off of Goggles' shirt so he can put it back on."

As everyone gathered their stuff, Taichi pulled back his shirt, leaving only the fuzzy breath mint and pre-chewed gum on the beach. "All right, let's see what's in there!"

They found medical supplies to handle most basic injuries, not to mention enough food for everyone.

"Let's try this again, Goggles," Koushirou said. "At three meals a day, times eight people, we need 24 meal servings a day. With 72, that's only enough to last us three days, provided no one pigs out."

"But what about the Digimon," Sora asked. "Once you add them in it's 15 people, and that wouldn't even last us a whole day."

"Don't worry about us, Sora," Piyomon said. "We can find safe food on our own. We've done it all our lives, and I don't see that much reason to stop now."

"Yeah," Patamon said. "We'll make do. You can just . . . hey! Agumon!"

"What?" Agumon quickly swallowed down his mouthful of food and looked innocently towards the others.

"Yeah, what's the big idea," Taichi said, opening a can of corned beef. "We were just making sure the food was good to eat."

"Well, I guess we have to recalculate now," Koushirou said, looking into the bag. "Hey! Agumon, how much did you eat?"

"Well . . . I lost count after the first three cans," he said, nervously. "It's not my fault, I was hungry!"

They were interrupted by a roar coming from by the water, and everyone looked that way. The giant shell that stood there seemed unimpressive enough, especially considering it's dull grey color. But when the first pink pseudo-hand came out, all the children panicked.

"This cannot be good," Tentomon said. "I guess we're trespassing on Shellmon's beach now, and he isn't happy. Not that he is happy very often to begin with, but when he's angry you'd better watch out for him! He'll shoot high pressure water to keep his foes away and immobile."

"Don't worry, we'll protect you," Gabumon said, leaping up. "Petit fire!" But the blue flame sputtered out, and Gabumon sighed. "It's no use."

"Magical fire," Piyomon shouted.

"Air shot, poi!"

"Petit thunder!"

All three attacks were worthless, and the Digimon collapsed. Piyomon turned her gaze towards Agumon. "Agumon, you have to help us," she said. "We're all too weak and hungry to fight."

"All right," Agumon said, nodding. "Baby flame!" He shot forth a full fireball, which hit Shellmon's pink face, but didn't seem to have much effect. Shellmon just inhaled and turned his head down.

"Hydro pressure," he growled, shooting forth a high pressure stream, and knocking the six weak Digimon up against the nearby cliff. "And now for the other intruders." Taichi ran up to Agumon as Shellmon's gaze turned towards the other seven children.

"Agumon, I'll distract him while you get him," Taichi said. "We have to protect Hikari and the others."

"Don't worry," Agumon said, running towards Shellmon. He was promptly squashed under the pink hand, and Taichi panicked. The child ran forth, trying to save Agumon, but got caught.

"Agumon," he shouted, as one of Shellmon's head tentacles constricted around him. "Agumon, help me!" He felt a vibration at his waist, and felt near it with his hand. "What's happening," he wondered, realizing the device was shaking.

"Taichi needs my help," Agumon said, under Shellmon's hand. "But Shellmon is an adult level . . . when I beat Kuwagamon it almost got all of us killed. Surely the others . . . no, they're too weak. I'm the only one! I have to save Taichi, and everyone else. Huh? I feel like . . . wow! Agumon evolve!" He grew into a much larger dinosaur, with orange scales and blue stripes, and a brown skull helmet on. His eyes were bigger now, too, as were his claws. "Greymon!"

Shellmon was sent rolling over, but still managed to land right side up. "You can't handle it," he growled, hurling Taichi towards the cliff. "You can't save him and beat me. You won't last."

"Goggles," Sora gasped, running towards the flying body. Yamato and Jou joined her, and they were able to catch him, as Greymon growled towards Shellmon. "Goggles, are you . . . are you all right?"

"You were saying, Shellmon?" Greymon's glare focused firmly on his foe now, and he wouldn't give up. He inhaled, and grinned.

"Hydro pressure!"

"Mega flame," Greymon shouted, watching his giant fireball pierce through and defeat Shellmon's water cannon. He watched his attack connect and the turned his head down and charged. "Great antler!" As he flipped Shellmon back into the sea, he laughed and roared in triumph.

Taichi reached upwards, disorieted by the impact. He hadn't hit the rock, but something soft. As he gently squeezed to see what it was, he was greeted by a scream that brought him back to his senses completely.

"Goggles, you pervert," Sora shouted, followed by a sharp slap on his face. "Don't ever do that to me again! I save your life, and all you can think of is getting a hold of my breasts, You are such a man, Goggles!"

"Whoa, I'd hate to be on her bad side," Yamato whispered into Taichi's ear. "But at least you're safe. I'd hate to see something bad happen to you."

"Yeah, he's fine, but what about the Digimon?" Jou turned towards them quickly. They didn't seem too badly injured, and were just brushing it off as they got up.

"That was uncomfortable," Patamon said, flying over to Takeru. "Do we have anything to eat?"

"Hey, where's the ugly shell-guy?" Taichi looked around, confused. "Agumon, did you beat him?"

"Greymon, you mean," Tentomon said, looking. "He evolved into his adult form of Greymon. And quite the powerhouse he is. He uses his mighty horn to bust viruses, while his specialty attack is a giant fireball, the Mega flame."

"Well, Agumon, or Greymon, you sure did manage to save us good," Taichi said, smiling up at his partner. He gasped as Greymon shrunk back down to Agumon, and sighed in disappointment. "Hey, why can't you just stay big like that, Agumon?"

"It takes a lot of energy to evolve," Agumon said. "I couldn't stay that way because it would have taken so much energy. But at least we're safe."

"Yeah," Taichi said. "Safe."

"Actually, based on our current rate of unfriendly encounters, we're a lot less safe than you might think," Koushirou said. "We're a lot safer while we're moving than while we're staying in one place. I suggest we head into the forest on the other side of the cliff. That way, we're sheltered from above and around."

"Finally a sensible plan," Jou said. "And I'd say we best get moving right away. Otherwise we may not be able to find anything to eat. And Agumon already ate most of our supplies."

"Sorry," Agumon said. "I was just hungry."

"Whatever," Gomamon said. "Let's just go and find some food!"

And so the children headed off, towards the woods, and hoping to find something they could eat. And the Digimon followed, in the hopes of finding food, and of keeping their partners safe.

So Agumon evolved to save me. I mean, sure, he did eat most of the food, but I guess I do have to share part of the blame. I wonder what kind of weird monsters we'll meet next. But I guess that'll have to wait until the next episode of Digimon Adventure Remix.