Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ And Then There Were Three ❯ Three Years Later ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

AND THEN THERE WERE THREE

 

~~Three Years Later~~

 

Disclaimer:  I do not own Dragonball Z, nor am I making any money off this story.

 

Author's Note:  This story was completely inspired by Gutterball's exquisite story, Coercing Kakarrot, which can be found here: http://www.saiyanhideaway.us/Fics/GutterBall/CoercingKakarot.html

 

Her story is the second part to this story, so you should have already read it before you read this part. If you enjoy this story at all, it is completely due to her ability to write believably and brilliantly.  I most humbly thank her. 

 

********************************************************* ***********************

 

Hands slide up my body.  My eyelids flutter open to daylight.  Lips on my shoulder, hot, wet, seeking.  I smile.

 

I know it's Goku.  One, the gravity machine is running and two, Goku likes a nice, sleepy fuck in the morning.  Slow, unhurried, dreamy.  It's a fine way to greet the day.

 

I roll over to wrap myself in his arms, and my stomach lurches, stirs with something that is not lust---far from it.  I try to ignore it, to return Goku's caresses, but it grows stronger, and I know that I'm going to be ill.  I leap from the bed and rush to the toilet, spewing bile and anything else into the bowl.

 

"Bulma?"

 

Goku has followed me into the bathroom.  I feel his hands on my back, rubbing in soothing circles.  He's so considerate.  Vegeta would snort something like "weakling" or "pathetic human" and go about his business.  Not Goku.  He's handing me a wet rag to wipe my mouth, filling a cup with water. 

 

Embarrassed, I drink.  "I don't know what came over me," I say.  "I moved and my stomach just screamed "no!" 

 

He leans forward to whisper in my ear.  "Too much cum."

 

I blush; I can't help it.  After three years of this, you'd think I'd be immune to such raunchy talk, but no such luck.  And he's right.  Last night we played a favorite game of mine:  both of them before me while I take my mouth from one to the other.  They each try to hold out longer than the other while I make sure they each get a fair shot at winning.  Goku won last night, but when they both turned their attention to me, I knew I was the ultimate winner. 

 

"Goku!" I say appalled, but I add," go back to bed.  Let me brush my teeth." 

 

He leaves and I scrub my mouth clean of the sick taste.  Then I crawl back in bed and put myself in the exact same position I was when I woke up.  "Wake me up again," I say.

 

His hands move upon me.  I roll over again, this time with a smile.  "Good morning," I say and kiss him. 

 

Good morning indeed. 

 

********************************************************* *******************

 

Please don't turn blue.

 

I'm sitting in my bathroom staring at the stick.  I've never been so scared in my life.

 

Since that morning with Goku, I've been sick five more times.  No one has noticed---Goku's gone back home and Vegeta is usually up before me anyway, but I can no longer deny the possibility that I might be pregnant.  I'm on the pill, but I wouldn't even know if I was late because I switched to the one that only gives you four periods a year.

 

Seemed like a good idea at the time;  I always hated my periods.  Funny how I would sell my soul for one right know. 

 

The stick turns blue.  My eyes burn and my vision blurs as my eyes fill with tears.  I feel like I've just been given a death sentence.  Because in way, I have. 

 

I know this is the end of everything.

 

I just wish I knew how it was going to end.

 

********************************************************* ***********************

 

"Vegeta, I have to tell you something."

 

We're in our bed, still dressed, but we've been kissing and Vegeta has stepped up the action and pulled my shirt up out of the way to get to my breasts.  His warm tongue glides across them.  The pleasure is distracting, but I can't carry this burden alone anymore.

 

"Vegeta---"

 

"Save it.  Kakarrot is coming over, and I want some first."

 

"You just want him to walk in on us.  It turns you on."

 

"I'm already turned on," he says, kissing me.  "But yes, I like it."  Another kiss, a whisper.  "He likes it." 

 

"I know, but Vegeta---"

 

Goku appears in our bedroom.  He's wearing jeans and a t-shirt that clings nicely to his chest.  Since Chi Chi isn't around to replace his gi, Goku's taste in clothing has improved. 

 

He comes over to the bed and crawls up beside me.  He kisses me first, taking long enough for Vegeta to growl, "I saw her first, Kakarrot," then he kisses Vegeta.   He pulls back and lays down on his side, his head propped up on an elbow. 

 

"Don't mind me," he says, grinning. 

 

"I won't," Vegeta snaps, and his head nuzzles my breasts.  "You can just wait your turn.  I'll get to you soon enough." 

 

His hands pull my shirt over my head, and he returns to tease my nipples, biting them, then licking gently in apology.  I moan and any thought of delivering my news flies out of my head.  My hands wind into Vegeta's hair and I arch my breasts toward him, giving him more. 

 

My pants come off, my panties.  Vegeta fills me, and I swell in pleasure.  I love how different sex is with these two men---Vegeta's overwhelming passion, Goku's sensual generosity.  I look at Goku through my haze of desire and see that he has unbuttoned his jeans and is stroking his cock.  My mouth waters.  I feel like Pavlov's dog. 

 

Vegeta thrusts become more urgent and I know that he too has seen Goku.  I smile.  Great minds . . . .  I wonder if I'll have to fight him for it.

 

But no, we finish, and Vegeta decides to share.  We take turns turning Goku into a thrashing puddle of need on the bed.  One devouring his cock while the other caresses and kisses him blind. 

 

I end my turn by taking him as deeply as I can, then dragging my teeth across his sensitive flesh as I pull away.  I look for Vegeta and I find he's decided on the end game---his hands are coated in lube and he's stroking himself, waiting.  I grab two pillows from the bed and Goku lifts his hips so I can put the pillows under them.  Vegeta's hands slide up Goku's thighs in anticipation, then he bends Goku's knees up so his feet are on the bed.  He brings himself to Goku and presses inside in one smooth stoke.  All three of us sigh, I never get enough of seeing them together.  Watching them is almost a good as being with them; it's so powerfully erotic. 

 

Vegeta's thrusts begin, and I lean down to kiss Goku, his face, his chest.  I reach down to stoke him with my hand and he moans into my mouth.  He pulls at my shoulders, wanting more-what I don't know.  It's to rough for me to suck him off when Vegeta's thrusting inside him like that. 

 

"Climb on top," he breathes.  "Fuck me."

 

I feel a renewed wetness between my legs at Goku's command.  I throw one leg across his abdomen and slide back, guiding him into me.

 

"Oh, Kami, Bulma!" I hear Vegeta say and I realize the view I've just given him.  I waggle my ass as temptingly as I can.  His thrusts have such power that I realize I don't need to do much beside keep my balance and rock my hips.  I lean down to kiss Goku.

 

"Feel good?" I ask playfully.

 

Deep breath.  "Yeessssss.  Too good."

 

I sit back up and Goku grabs my hips and pumps them up and down, his great strength moving me in ways I couldn't in this tight position.  I balance my arms on Goku's knees, my head lollling to the side, my breasts bouncing.  All I can do is submit to their control and feel. 

 

I hear Vegeta growl in time with his thrusts, a sure sign that he's close.  He always growls when he's fucking Goku.  Sometimes he does with me, but with Goku, always.  I know he's letting go in ways he can't with me.  It reminds me of the control he's exercised over the years, and I'm glad I gave him this freedom to have what I cannot give him. 

 

I squeeze my inner muscles around Goku.  I want them to come together, to hear their joint cries of ecstasy.  Goku's moans become more like uncontrolled cries-yes!   He slams me down painfully as he cums with a final cry,  Vegeta's final thrust is accompanied by his own shout of pleasure.

 

There is only breathing for a few moments, then I topple to the side onto the bed.  There is an ache between my legs and it feels good to pull my knees together. 

 

Vegeta comes around and collapses near me, his face opposite mine.  His eyes are tired, the kind of good tired they get when he's had a really good fuck.  He smiles, reaches out and pinches my ass.

 

"Ow!"  I say, but there's no real pain. 

 

"Serves you right, flaunting that delicious piece in front of me when I was busy," Vegeta says.  He's so at peace right now, so deliciously sated.  His eyes are warm and I know it's love. He loves me; I know this.  He loves Goku and he loves me.  He loves us together.

 

It's a heady feeling.  I reach my hand to stroke his cheek.  "I love you."

 

Only that isn't what I say.  That's what I meant to say, but when I open my mouth what I really say is:

 

"I'm pregnant."

 

He freezes.  His eyes blink once.  "What did you say?"

 

My first thought is, LieHere's your chance!  Take it back!  But that won't do any good, will it?  If not tonight, if not tomorrow, then later and certainly in eight months when a baby pops out. 

 

"I'm pregnant."

 

He sits up slowly and I can see his mind thinking, working out all the angles. 

 

His jaw finally moves.  "How did this happen?"

 

Goku remerges from his own afterglow with a stretch.  "How did what happen?" he asks.

 

"She's pregnant!"

 

Goku's face immediately brightens into a smile.  "A baby?  Bulma, that gre----"

 

"Shut up, Kakarrot!" Vegeta snaps.  Goku closes his mouth and his eyes fill with concern.  Vegeta turns his gaze back on me.

 

"How did this happen?" he asks again.

 

"You know how it happens, Vegeta," Goku says, smiling.  I don't know whether he hasn't fully understood Vegeta's mood or if he thinks his joke will pull Vegeta back. 

 

"Shut up, Kakarrot!"

 

"Hey, Vegeta, calm down," Goku says.  He's confused by Vegeta's anger at this situation.  I'm not.

 

"I will not calm down.  Bulma, how did this happen?  You were taking the pills." 

 

I take a breath, trying to calm myself, but I can't.  I know this is bad; I know it's going to get worse. 

 

"I know, I . . . I may have missed one a couple of weeks ago.  The kids were gone with their school to that martial arts tournament, remember?  We hardly left the bed.  I must have forgot---"

 

"You forgot?" Vegeta sneers.

 

"Or maybe I just took it late.  The dose is low; you're supposed to take them at the same time everyday . . . ."  I can't look in his eyes.  My own are starting to water.  I wish this were over so I could go hide and cry.

 

"Nice way to fuck up, Bulma," Vegeta says.  He crawls off the bed, heads for the bathroom.  He takes a piss, flushes.  I hear water run.  He comes back out and tosses me a wet washcloth.

 

"Clean yourself up," he orders.

 

"Hey, Vegeta, lighten up," Goku says.  "It was an accident.  Can't Bulma make a mistake?"

 

"Not when she's fucking another man, she can't, no." 

 

There it is.  Out in the open.  I sneak a look at Goku who's clearly just understood the real issue here.  "So I could be . . . the father of this baby?"

 

"Bravo, Kakarrot."  Vegeta is standing against the wall, his arms across his chest.  It's like he's regressed ten years. 

 

Goku looks at me for confirmation.  I nod.  He looks back to Vegeta.  "Why is this a problem, Vegeta?"

 

"She's my wife," Vegeta says slowly. 

 

"I see," Goku says.  He gets up, finds his jeans and starts pulling them on.

 

"What are you doing?" Vegeta asks.

 

"This is over," Goku says.  "Everything ends now."

 

"What the fuck are you talking about?  Just because the woman got herself knocked up---"

 

"Let me ask you something, Vegeta," Goku says, turning to face him.  "Is your problem that Bulma is pregnant or that it might by my baby?"

 

Vegeta's jaw works, but nothing comes out.

 

Goku walks over to Vegeta, pins him with his gaze.  "I know you, Vegeta.  We don't even know who the father of that baby is and already you're pissed.  Just the thought that Bulma might be carrying a "third-class brat" has you foaming at the mouth.  Tell me, has it already run through your mind that even my seed beats yours?"  Vegeta's eyes look away and I know that, yes, he has already had that thought.  Goku reaches out and cradles a cheek, but it's not a gentle touch.  "You never change, do you?"  He drops his hand and walks away.  He kneels by me.

 

"Bulma?"

 

I look at him. 

 

"Is there a way that you can settle this?  That you can find out about the baby?"

 

I nod.  He kisses my cheek.  "Just let me know what you need, OK?"

 

I nod again.  I don't trust myself to speak. 

 

"Is it OK if Goten stays here tonight?  I know he was really looking forward to it."

 

"Of course," I say. 

 

He nods, stands.  He looks at Vegeta one more time, then walks through our bedroom door.  Probably for the last time.

 

Silence.  What is there to say?  I've ruined everything, cost him Goku.  I steal a glance at Vegeta.  He's not looking at me, but staring at the floor.  Finally, he moves to the window and slides it open.  He leaves without looking back.

 

I cry.

 

********************************************************* *************************************

 

 

It's the middle of the night and he finally returns.  I'm awake.  I tell myself I'm awake because I just can't sleep, but I know I'm waiting for him. 

 

He stands beside the bed, staring at me for the longest time in the dark.  He knows I'm awake; I'm sure of it.  Finally, I hear him sigh and lie down on the bed.  He doesn't touch me;  he doesn't speak.

 

I swallow, then ask the question that been running through my mind all night.  "Do you want me to have an abortion?"

 

He turns his head on the pillow and looks at me.  It's too dark to see his face, and a part of me is glad.  I'm not sure I want to see whatever is reflected there. 

 

He doesn't speak for a long time.  I don't think this possibility had occurred to him until I brought it up.  I hold my breath, waiting.  I don't know what I want him to say. 

 

He turns away from me to look at the ceiling.  "No," he says at last.

 

I release the breath I've been holding, and I know that's the answer I wanted.  It would have been a vindictive move on his part; it wouldn't have solved anything.  The damage is done.  But . . . I think I would have done it, if he had asked it.  I'm glad I'll never know for sure.

 

"Tell me you didn't plan this, that you didn't mean for this to happen," he says.

 

My face wrenches slightly and I feel my eyes burn with tears.  So much lost . . . .

 

"Vegeta, I swear to you, I did not plan this.  I did not mean for this to happen." 

 

He accepts this silently, then rolls onto his side to face away from me.  The conversation is over. 

 

********************************************************* ************

 

My mother drives me to the hospital for the procedure, something called chorionicvillis sampling(CVS) and they can perform it earlier than amniocentesis.  Fortunately, my age makes me a de facto candidate for genetic testing, so I don't need to explain why I need the test.  I'm sure the doctor would refuse to perform the test solely for paternity--- there is some risk of miscarriage---but all I really need to do is schmooze him into surrendering the cultures to my labs once his own testing is complete.  I really don't need the press getting wind of the fact Bulma Briefs doesn't know who the father of her unborn baby is. 

 

Mom chatters on and on, oblivious to my mood.  She's so excited about the baby.  Dad's and Trunks's reactions were a little more subdued.  Dad muttered something about having to baby-proof the lab again, and Trunks . . . well, he's appalled, actually.  He's fourteen and while he knows his parents have sex, a physical reminder that we're doing it is gross.  There may be a wee bit of jealousy on his part as well; he's been an only child for so long, he's got to wonder why we decided we needed another child.  Isn't he enough?  It should be interesting to see his reaction when he's confronted with the actual infant. 

 

"I hope it's a girl!" Mom coos.  "Won't that just be too much to see Vegeta dealing with all that pink?" 

 

Vegeta . . . .

 

He's around.  I can say that at least.  He's not angry anymore, at least not ugly angry.  But he's quiet.  He spends time in the gravity room with it not running.  We haven't discussed what we'll do when we get the test results back.  I tried to bring up the subject once, and he left the room without a word. 

 

I've put him in a horrible position.  His pride cannot accept the fact that I might be carrying Goku's child.  It's just one more defeat by Goku in his eyes.  He may want Goku; he may even love Goku, but there's always that thing between them.  It's clear that Goku believed they had moved past that point, but I don't know if Vegeta ever will.  He's got to surrender too much of his pride, I think. 

 

And Vegeta cannot trust me.  I told him this was not on purpose, but I'm not sure he believes me.  Goku said to Vegeta, "I know you."   Well, I know Vegeta too.  For all his bluster, he's an insecure little bastard.  I know the questions running through his mind.  Did I do it out of jealously, to break him and Goku up?  Do I love Goku? Do I want his baby? 

 

I love Goku, but I did not want his baby.  I didn't want any baby.  I was perfectly content with my husband and my lover, with never-ending weekends of mind-blowing sex.  I've never felt more beautiful, more loved.  I don't know how long everything would have lasted had I not become pregnant, but I was ready to find out. 

 

I suppose I should be glad it ended now, before I got wrinkled, old and undesirable.  It's inevitable, I know, but I think it would be more than my ego could take when Goku and Vegeta stopped sharing themselves with me because I was no longer the way I am today.  They would be gone all the time, sharing themselves in some kind of ultimate Saiyan sex/battle combo, and I would sit at home, waiting . . . always waiting . . . .

 

I feel something on my cheek, touch it with my fingertip.  It's a tear.  I look outside the car window and see we're finally at the hospital. 

 

"Here we are!" my mother says.  She sees my face.  "Oh, Bulma, honey, don't worry!  It'll all be over with soon."

 

Oh, Mom, if only you knew . . . .

 

********************************************************* **************************

 

"Vegeta."

 

He stops his kata and looks at me.  He doesn't speak.

 

"I . . . I need to swab the inside of your mouth . . . for the test."

 

He doesn't move for a minute, then nods once and walks over.  I raise the swab and he obediently opens his mouth for me.  One swipe and then it's back in the bag.  Done.

 

"Thanks," I say.  He meets my eyes for the first time and we stare at each other.  Does he know how badly I want to throw myself into his arms and cry?  Maybe.  Maybe that's why they're so cold.

 

"Vegeta---"

 

He turns away and walks back to the center of the room.  "How long until you have results?"  He begins his kata again. 

 

I drop my head, giving up.  "A day, once I have everything I need." 

 

He nods, never breaking his form.

 

I leave.

 

********************************************************* ***********************************

 

As I land at Goku's house I realize I haven't been here since Chi Chi's funeral.  The bushes and things are a little overgrown, but otherwise, it looks like it did when Chi Chi was alive.

 

Goku felt me coming, of course, and comes out to greet me.  It's an awkward moment, maybe the first time we've ever greeted each other and didn't hug. 

 

"I came for the sample for test," I say and gesture lamely with the kit I'm holding. 

 

"Oh," Goku says.  "Well, come on in." 

 

We go inside his little house, and I'm struck again by how much everything looks the same.  It even looks clean.  Goku's doing or Goten's?  I smile, looking around.  Somewhere in heaven Chi Chi is screaming "about damn time!"

 

"So how do we do it?" Goku asks, yanking my eyes back to his face. He looks unsure and I realize he's a little scared.

 

"Well, I have this big needle---"

 

Open alarm.  It's always been funny to me how Goku will face down any monster or petty tyrant who steps foot on the planet, but a hypodermic needle gives him an apoplexy.  I know better than to take the joke too far though.

 

"Psych!" I say.  His eyebrows draw together, then release as he realizes I'm joking. 

 

"Bulma!"  He shakes his head.

 

"I know, my bad, but I couldn't resist."  I pull out the swab from the bag.  "I just have to wipe the inside of your mouth with this."

 

He opens his mouth and a second later we're done. 

 

"That's it?" he asks.  "That was easy."

 

He's smiling at me, and something about it just tears through me and my eyes burn.  I need that smile so much.  I need someone to not hate me, to not blame me.  I'm so tired of feeling punished. 

 

"Hey," he says and I feel his hand on my shoulder, pulling me into his arms.  I let him and sob against his chest, clutching at him with my own hands.  He rocks me a little, rubbing my back.  He's saying something soothing, but I don't even hear.  I can only feel his arms around me.  It's so good not to be alone.

 

I don't know how long I cry, but at last my tears end and I pull away, mopping at my eyes with my hands. 

 

"Sorry," I say.  I feel so embarrassed.

 

"It's OK, Bulma," he says and I meet his eyes.  There is quiet understanding there.  "So Vegeta hasn't . . . calmed down?"

 

"Oh, he's calm, all right," I say, getting up to find some tissues.  "Quiet.  Reclusive. Stoic."  I shrug.  I don't know what else to say. I take my tissue and plop onto the sofa beside him. 

 

"I'm sorry." 

 

"Don't be sorry.  It's not your fault, Goku.  I'm the one who fucked up." 

 

"Bulma, it was an accident."

 

"Tell that to Vegeta." 

 

His face gets hard.  "You know, maybe I will."

 

I panic.  "Oh, please don't, Goku.  The last thing I need is you running to my defense.  That might really put him over the edge." 

 

He doesn't say anything, and my curiosity get the better of me.  "So you two haven't been . . . seeing each other?"

 

"No."

 

"Oh."  I may kill myself for my next words, but I say them anyway.  "Because you can, you know.  I mean, you don't have to worry about me.  I'm OK with it." 

 

He looks at me sharply.  "I don't want to "see" Vegeta.  Not as long as he's treating you like a criminal and me like an opponent." 

 

"Oh." Guilt washes over me again.  Was it only a few weeks ago we were all tangled in bed together smiling?  I start to cry again. 

 

Goku pulls me into his arms again, patiently repeating the process we went through earlier.  Mercifully, this time it's shorter.  I pull back.

 

"Sorry."

 

It's all right," he says.  "Anytime." 

 

He's looking at me intently.  There's no threat there, no accusation.  It's friendly, open . . . loving.  I get a little embarrassed by it.

 

"I must look a mess," I say, running the tissue over my face again.

 

"Nah," he says, "you look beautiful."

 

My breath catches at his compliment.  It's so familiar, so foreign all at the same time.  I glance at his eyes again, but I cannot hold his gaze.  It's too intense. 

 

"Not right now, I'm not,"I say jokingly. 

 

His lips are on my cheek.  "No, you're always beautiful," he says and I feel his lips at my ear, my throat. 

 

"Goku---" but I cannot finish.  His lips take my mouth, holding my protest captive within.  He uses all his skill on me.  His slow tongue, his hands, his fingertips.  I've been so long without a loving touch I cannot help but respond.  My hands trail up his arms, his shoulders, curl behind his neck, pulling him deeper into the kiss. 

 

It would be so easy to give in, so easy to take this solace.  He still wants me, I know it.  And I . . . I could sure use a good fuck right now. 

 

His hands put up my shirt, free my breasts.  His fingertips brush across my nipples.  His mouth leaves mine to seize a nipple, sucking it gently.  He laps his way across to my other breast, treating it the same.  Then he settles on one breast, nipping, licking, sucking.  I grow wet in anticipation.

 

"I've missed these," he says.  "Are they bigger?"

 

"A little," I sigh. "They always grow when you're----"

 

Pregnant.

 

It's like a bucket of cold water splashed on my head.  My hands push him off and I scramble off the couch.  I jerk my top down and turn away.

 

"Bulma---"

"No, Goku.  It's not right.  Not now." 

 

"I don't understand.  A moment ago you told me it was okay if I saw Vegeta.  I assume you didn't mean it was only talk."  He walks around to face me. 

 

"That's right."

 

"So I can fuck Vegeta, but I can't fuck you?" 

 

"Yes."

 

"So I'm just a pawn in all of this?  It doesn't matter what I want?" 

 

I blink.  Is that true? 

 

"No, Goku!"  I deny it, but doubt clouds my mind.  "You do know we'll probably have to trick him . . .?"

 

"I think you're lying," he says quietly and turns away.

 

"No!" I insist.  "It just wasn't supposed to go this far.  I didn't think you'd understand what Vegeta wanted, how he felt."  I'm tired of talking to his back and I walk around to face him.  "He wanted you so much.  He has for so long.  He wouldn't approach you on his own out of loyalty to me."  I'm crying again, not out-of-control sobs, but tears course down my cheeks.  "I had to help . . . he . . . I love him so much."

 

"So you were never supposed to be a part of this?"

 

I shake my head. "No." 

 

"So why did you let me kiss you that day?" He looks down to the floor, says this next bit more softly, "Why did you let me . . .?"

 

I think back to that day, so long ago.  "You surprised me."  I smile.  "And you were so sexy.  I've never seen you that way before.  It was . . . a big turn on."

 

"And afterwards?  With Vegeta?"

 

"I thought you were about to leave, never see Vegeta . . . that way again.  It was the only way I could think of to keep you . . . interested."

 

"So it was all a game to you?"  There is accusation in his voice. 

 

"No!  It was real.  The desire was real.  I liked being with you, I liked being with you with Vegeta.  It was-" I touch his arm.  He pulls away. "Amazing."

 

He turns away again.  "I didn't ask to be a part of any of this.  The two of you pulled me into it.  I don't deny I wanted it, once it was offered.  Chi Chi was gone.  I was lonely.  Vegeta is . . . very skilled at seduction."

 

He turns back to face me.  "But I was a part of it.  For three years, I had you both.  Now I don't have anything again.  Vegeta can't get past the same old rival crap that has haunted us since we met and you . . . well, it was all for Vegeta, wasn't it?"

 

I swallow.  I can't deny this now.  "He's my husband."  I can't meet his gaze and so look down.  "I'm sorry.  I'm so sorry." 

 

He accepts this silently for a few minutes, then he speaks again.

 

"And what's going to happen if the baby turns out to be mine?"

 

I cringe.  Considering I have thought of nothing but this for the last few weeks, it's hard to believe I don't want to discuss it now.  "I don't know."

 

"You . . . could lie."

 

My eyes shoot up to meet his.  "What?"

 

"Lie about the results.  Say it's Vegeta's baby even if it's mine."

 

I shake my head.  "No, too easy to get caught out in that.  What if the baby needs blood, a transplant or something?  I could never keep silent if I knew my child needed the help only a biological father could provide.  I'd have to tell the truth.  Vegeta barely trusts me now.  A lie like that would make sure he never trusts me again." 

 

"So what are you going to do?"

 

I shrug helplessly.  "Perform the test.  There's as good a chance that it's Vegeta's baby as yours.  Maybe Kami will give me break."  I smile a weak smile.  There isn't much hope in it. 

 

He doesn't smile back.  "How long will it take you to do the test?" 

 

"I should know late tomorrow night.  It can take anywhere from twelve to seventeen hours, start to finish." 

 

"You'll let me know, right?  Either way."

 

"Of course."  Awkward silence.  I turn to go, but I stop at the door and look back.  "Don't be too hard on Vegeta."

 

"Vegeta made these rules, Bulma.  I'm just playing by them."

 

I wince.  "I'm just saying that maybe you could reconsider your relationship with him."

 

This time there is a smile, but it's hard.  "I don't have a relationship with Vegeta anymore, Bulma.  But I can promise you this, if I ever do decide to have a relationship with Vegeta again, it's not going to be because you gave me permission or he tricks me into it.  It's going to be because I want a relationship."

 

I nod and go through the door. 

 

********************************************************* ********************************** 

 

"Ms. Briefs?"

 

I look up from my computer.  Dr. Clark stands in the doorway to my office.  I can see that it's dark outside and glance at the clock. Ten o'clockat night. 

 

"The program's almost finished running.  You wanted to know."

 

My stomach tenses.  A funny voice in my head says And now, the moment you've all been waiting for. . . .  There's no accompanying laughter in my head though, just a sick feeling in my stomach.

 

I head down to the lab and wait.

 

98 percent complete . . .

 

99 percent complete . . .

 

100 percent complete.

 

The screen flashes again.

 

Sixteen gene markers compared. 

 

Subject excluded from consideration. 

 

I take a deep, shaky breath, and then I go to look for my husband. 

 

********************************************************* **********


He's in the shower, so I sit down on our bed to wait. 

 

Wait.  Wait.  I'm sick of waiting.  Sick of treading water.  Something's finally going to happen.  Will I get pulled to shore or left to drown? 

 

The water stops.  A few seconds later, Vegeta appears in our bedroom.  He notices me, but doesn't speak.  He heads to his dresser, pulls out some night clothes.

 

I can't wait.

 

"Vegeta, I have the test results."

He turns and I can see that I have his full attention.  More than attention-interest.  For all he's acted like he couldn't care less these past weeks, his silent, stoic veneer has vanished.  I see his jaw clench in . . . apprehension?  Even dread? 

 

"Goku has been excluded as a father.  This baby is your child."

 

His shoulders visibly settle, and I realize he's just let go of the breath he'd been holding.  He takes another breath.

 

"You're sure?" 

 

"DNA is 99.99 percent accurate." 

 

He walks toward me and sits down on the bed.  He is relieved, but he is still unsure-unsure of me.  I'm not surprised at his next question.

 

"You wouldn't . . . lie to me about this, would you?"

 

I try very hard not to be offended.  I suppose if I was in the same circumstances, if my trust had been shaken in someone --- someone I now had no choice but to trust --- I suppose I would ask the same question.

 

"I know you need to ask me that, and the answer is "no."   I would not lie to you, not about this.  Not about anything."

 

He hangs his head and I can visibly see all the tension he has been holding the last few weeks melt away.  When he speaks, his voice is soft.

 

"I was so certain I had lost you," he says.

 

My jaw drops.

 

"What?"

 

He looks at me then.  My god, I have never seen him look so uncertain.  Even after Cell, he never looked so . . . lost.

 

"I knew if the baby was Kakarrot's, I would lose you."

 

A part of me wants to laugh---I can't believe Vegeta would say such a thing.  But then, this thing with Goku has never brought out the best in Vegeta.  OK, maybe sometimes, but Vegeta usually went kicking and screaming into it.

 

I scoot over and wrap my arms around him.  I hug him tightly for all its worth.  "You are such a fool, Vegeta.  I can't believe you would think that.  I would never choose Goku over you."

 

"But you brought him to our bed."

 

Another shock.  I can't speak for a second.  "I kept him there for you, because you wanted him.  After working so hard to give him to you, I couldn't just let him walk away."

 

His eyes narrow in accusation.

 

"OK, the thought of having you both in bed was incredibly hot.  I admit to being totally turned on by the idea."  I poke him in the chest.  It was my turn to accuse.  "You thought it was totally hot too.  Don't deny it."

 

He gives a small shake of his head, a small smile.  "No.  I don't deny it." 

 

At his smile, I finally give in to laughter.  "I can't believe you would think I would choose Goku!"

 

"He's stronger, better-looking and nicer than me." 

 

What a night for revelations!  "But he is not you!  Look, let me put it to you this way:  I'm beautiful, rich, and powerful.  I could have any man on the planet, including Goku.  If I wanted him, I would have had him twenty years ago.  I didn't want him.  In the past three years I've seen sides to him I never knew existed, but I still prefer you."  I stroke his cheek, amazed that I need to reassure him like this.  "I chose you.  I will always choose you."  I grin.  "You know, for the cockiest guy on the planet, you sure do pick some interesting times to get insecure." 

 

"I'm not insecure!"

 

I roll my eyes.  "Never."  I kiss him then, a sweet kiss, full of wonder at this complex man.  He kisses me back.  It feels so good.  Funny how I thought I'd lost him.

 

I pull back.  "I need to call Goku, let him know."  I get up and reach for the phone.  Vegeta's hand stops me. 

 

"What?"

 

"Let's talk about Kakarrot," he says.

 

"Okay . . . what about him?"

 

Vegeta looks uncertain.  "Do you see things . . . returning to the way they were?"

 

Oh.  The sex.  Our sex.  I really hadn't thought about it.  I was so scared about what the results of the paternity test might be, how our lives would change. 

 

Now . . . I think this happened for a reason.  The way we shared ourselves was beautiful, but I think we ignored a lot when we were together.  Clearly, we ignored a lot when we were together.  Perhaps if we'd been more realistic, more practical about it, we wouldn't have been blindsided by the issues the pregnancy brought up. 

 

Pregnancy.  I'm pregnant.  I'm going to have a baby.  Now that I'm not terrified, the reality of a baby sinks in.  Late night feedings, dirty diapers, soft blankets and squeaky toys.  Not exactly conducive to hedonistic threesomes.

 

And I don't think I'll miss it. 

 

"I don't want to go back to the way it was.  Can I just be happy with you?"

 

He grins.  "You're happy with me?  That's a new one."

 

"Marginally happy," I snort.  Now for the tough one.  "But this all started because you wanted Goku.  Do you . . . still want him?"  I glance up from under my lashes.  I know this answer already, but we have to talk about it.

 

"Yes.  Does that make you angry?"

 

I shake my head.  "No.  Disappointed, maybe.  But I know I can't give you everything you need myself.  And if Goku can . . . ."  I trail off.  Vegeta's desire for Goku still confuses me.  I think it confuses Vegeta as well.

 

"He's angry with me."

 

"Yes," I say.  "Your reaction to the baby hurt him.  He thought you had moved past that point."  I look Vegeta in the eyes.  "But you'll never let go of it totally, will you?  That's part of the attraction."

 

"Yes," he admits. 

 

"Then you may have a problem with him."  I reach over and touch his hand.  "But you won't have a problem with me.  I promise you that."

 

He takes my hand, kisses it.  It's such an outwardly affectionate gesture (a rare thing with Vegeta) that I feel my eyes burn with tears.  He pulls me toward him, and I fall into his arms. 

 

********************************************************* **************************

 

I called Goku the next morning.  He took the news well; there is no choice for him, of course.  I wondered if he was disappointed, but I really didn't care.  I was too thrilled that the baby is Vegeta's.  I don't even want to contemplate what would have happened had the baby turned out to be Goku's. 

 

And then Goku was gone.  From the entire planet.  Vegeta looked for him, but he couldn't find him.  He thinks he used his instant transmission and took off with Goten somewhere.  New Namek?  Yardrat?  Who knows? 

 

A part of me does feel guilty at this.  I know that he left because of the baby, because of me and Vegeta.  He knows about Vegeta-my last words to him when I called were about Vegeta wanting to see him--- but it's clear that he doesn't want to see Vegeta yet. Maybe he won't ever. 

 

I'm being induced tomorrow.  This baby is a week overdue, and the doctor has finally taken mercy on me and my swollen ankles.  At least, they tell me they are swollen.  I haven't seen my feet in two months. 

 

I'm a little scared because the baby hasn't turned yet. I'm already blaming Vegeta for this uncooperative streak in his child. 

 

********************************************************* ******************************

 

I'm awake, but I can't move.  I feel like I'm floating in water.  There is a numbness throughout my entire body.  I don't wonder what's wrong.  I know it's the anesthesia wearing off.  The baby never turned, and I had a C-section.  My bikini wearing days are over. 

 

I'm so tired.  I try to drift off again, but a voice pulls me back.

 

"How is she?"

 

Goku!

 

Part of me stirs, tries to pull out from under, but it's like a heavy blanket covering me.

 

"She's asleep."  Vegeta's voice.  "She'll be fine."

 

"The baby?"

 

"A girl."  Is that distress in Vegeta's voice?  He's known for months, of course, but the reality of all that pink may finally be settling in.  "She looks just like Bulma."

 

"I bet she's beautiful," Goku says.

 

Vegeta says nothing at this.  Even in my drugged state, the silence feels uncomfortable.

 

"How long have you been back?" Vegeta asks.

 

"A few weeks."

 

Weeks!  Ouch.  He's been keeping his ki suppressed then, avoiding Vegeta. 

 

"Where did you go?"

 

"Around."

 

Goku is really making this difficult.  I suppose he's earned the right, but this is a new side to Goku.  I saw a little bit of it that day at his house.  I think it's grown stronger.

 

"I looked for you," Vegeta says. 

 

Goku says nothing.

 

"I . . . wanted to see you." 

 

"For?"

 

Vegeta says nothing.  I hear shuffling, perhaps a rustle of clothing.  Is he touching Goku?  Telling him with touch the words he will not say?

 

"Vegeta, it's not that simple."

 

Yes, yes he was. 

 

"What do you mean?"  Vegeta asks.  "Why can't it be simple?"

 

"Because it never is.  I've been thinking---"

 

A snort.

 

"Exactly.  You want this, but you're not ready for this.  I won't be seduced again.  If we come together again, it will be because you're ready to let go of all the bullshit you carry around where I'm concerned.  And I don't think that will happen anytime soon.  It may not happen until . . . you need somebody again."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"I mean Bulma, Vegeta.  She won't live forever, you know."

 

"I know that!"  It's clear he thinks Goku is speaking nonsense. 

 

"While she lives, you don't need me."

"I---"

 

"No, Vegeta.  You want me.  There's a difference."

 

Vegeta is silent while he considers this.  "I don't think you understand what I feel," he says finally.

 

"I don't think you understand what you feel either, Vegeta.  I'm not saying there won't be a time for us, I just don't think that time is now.  You've still got Bulma, a new baby.   Those are great things, Vegeta."

 

"I know what I have!  But Bulma understands---"

 

"Bulma loves you, Vegeta.  She wants you to be happy.  She'll give you anything to make you happy.  But  . . . maybe some gifts should not be accepted.  Maybe some things shouldn't be shared.

 

"You told me once that Saiyans live long lives, maybe twice or three times a human's lifespan.  That's a long time to live with regret, Vegeta.  That's a long time to look back and wish you'd done things differently, to wish you'd made a different choice.  When I chose to stay dead, I was doing the best thing for the Earth, but now I think I should have done the best thing for my family-for Chi Chi, Gohan and Goten.  I should have been thinking of them, not the Earth and not myself. 

 

"You need to decide who you're making your choices for, Vegeta, and make choices you won't regret."  I hear the door open.  "I'm not going anywhere for a long time, Vegeta.  I'll still be here when you're ready.  I'm going to go see the baby now."

 

I hear the door close. 

 

I drift back down into slumber.

 

********************************************************* *************************

 

This time when I awake, I am no longer numb.  I can move, feel pain.

 

My eyes focus on an empty room.

 

"Vegeta?"I croak.  I think back to the choice Goku spoke of and wonder if Vegeta has made it.

 

A touch, his voice comes from the other side of the bed. 

 

"I'm here, Bulma." 

 

 

 

~~Fin~~

 

********************************************************* ************************************

 

Big thanks and hugs go out to Ember, for being able to spot a mistake a mile away and to debbiechan for endless creative support and feedback.  There aren't enough hugs for you two! 

 

And of, course, to Gutterball for being outrageously brilliant. 

 

Feedback is begged for.  Be sure to let Gutterball know what you thought of her story as well!  GutterballGT@hotmail.com  Thanks for reading.