Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Garrulous and Gritless ❯ II, 2: Vegeta ( Chapter 33 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
“Freeza’s already on Earth,” she says, “according to Raditz he’ll be destroying it soon,” she says, and, “unless you want to be a part of that maybe you should come with us,” she says. Presumptuous bitch. Yelling in the background—probably Raditz.

It occurs to me that it would have been better to have stayed on the planet Namek long enough to use their dragonballs again. But we could have reached Earth before Freeza, had he not been spending time suspiciously close to the edges of this corner of the galaxy.

In fact, it might be just as easy to return to Namek before Raditz and his cute little backwater crew get there. From the impression I’ve gotten, I seriously doubt Earth has the kind of technology to build a craft faster than the pods. We could easily arrive there before them—though from what little those green bastards would tell us I’ve gathered it’d still be a while before we could make any wishes. Raditz made sure of that…traitorous moron.

Of course, by the time I can wish for my immortality, the Earthlings may have arrived. Ordinarily this would be of little importance, except that if Raditz got use of the balls first—has he already become immortal? I suppose it’s not impossible that he’s biding his time until he can defeat Freeza, if this is the case. If that son of a bitch did get to make his wish…

“Should we do it?” I hear Nappa ask. “I don’t really wanna die. You know, Freeza will probably come after us for trying to use the Namek dragonballs before him.”

Shit. Did Freeza get his wish on Earth before wiping most of these fools out? There is too much I don’t know. “I feel so warm and fuzzy knowing us three Saiyans will be back together at last,” I drawl. Nappa, of course, doesn’t seem to get it. I also hear some loud swearing, followed by the closer sound of Raditz shouting incoherently into my ear (through the scouter, of course). The nerve. Well, he and his woman-of-the-sticks can put up with having me aboard, then. I’ve got some questioning to do.





Her ship seems specifically designed to take in and store our pods—as if she expected this. Or perhaps she has one stowed away for emergency escape. Nappa, being Nappa, is excited. Think being cooped up in that pod drives the man insane, because for some reason he constantly feels the need to talk and be social. Well, he can funnel all of his drivel to the Earthlings. If nothing else, that seems good reason to put up with these people. Anyway, I’ll probably just kill them in the end. Unless Raditz is immortal. Damn.

Of course, as the door opens we are greeted by the continued shouting of Raditz, who does not seem to have learned how to shut up since last I saw him. Takes balls considering that immortal or not, I can always give him a rather painful beating, and he knows it. “Shut up, Raditz,” I tell him.

“…And don’t you even fucking try to lay a finger on Bulma,” he finishes his rampage on a rather disgustingly sweet note.

“Trust me,” I say, “it won’t be a problem. Though I don’t see how you intend to stop me.” Casually and to prove my point, I flick on my scouter. And he grins. I try to read his power, but the damned thing doesn’t work.  “I know you’re weak, Raditz, but my scouter’s reading a power level of one. Did Earth make you weaker?” As if that were possible. What a sorry excuse for a Saiyan.

“Look again,” he says. Still one. “Closer,” he says. Still one—I don’t understand what that bastard is—

I choke back a shout when the blasted thing bursts in my face.

“Oops,” says Raditz. “Sorry about that. Try using Nappa’s. I’ll go easier on it. I think I just powered up too fast.”

The woman I take to be his Bulma looks too damn proud of this, and another female is giggling and clapping (do all Earth females have blue hair? Odd).

“Powered up?” I say. “Bullshit.” He just shrugs toward Nappa, who hands me his scouter, which I put on again.

“All right, now I’ll try to be real careful not to hurt you too bad,” he says. Must have gotten immortality. He hasn’t been such an ass to me since I was young, because he knows better. Hm…I wonder how it would feel to be eternally alive and suffocating in space. He motions toward the scouter, and (too obligingly, perhaps) I turn it on. I smirk. What a fool.

One, two, three. Ten, twenty, thirty. One hundred, two hundred, three hundred. One thousand, two thousand three thousand. Ten thousand, twenty thousand, SNAP. With a sneer he seems to continue, as if I could still read it. “Catch that?” he says. “I got sort of an idea of how I might keep you in line and it sounds just about like that breaking scouter.”

I’ve known my whole life what it means to be weaker than someone. I’m used to it, and I work against it. But to have a third-class dolt like Raditz rubbing his power in my face…disgusting. “Did you get this power from the dragonballs?”

“No,” he says, crossing his arms.

How…” I start to ask, but forget it. I don’t care. “What about immortality? Did you get that?”

“Immortality?” he scoffs. “No. I got my tail back.”

“It grows back, moron,” I tell him.

“Oh,” now this Bulma woman grins, “there are ways to stop that.” What kind of a psychotic bitch…

“Hurts like hell,” Raditz adds. They look at each other like it’s a secret joke between them.

“Sounds scary,” Nappa chimes in. The other woman with blue hair nods and mutters something that sounds like agreement.

So Raditz isn’t immortal, but he’s…somehow…more powerful than I am. At the very least, we’re an even match—I don’t know if he powered up any farther than when my scouter broke or if he just pretended like it for show. That would be just like Raditz, but given the recent developments…best not underestimate him. I wonder, are these women here with him also warriors? Then again, maybe not. Raditz always had awful taste.

“And Freeza?” I ask. “Did he get a wish?”

“No,” Raditz says, “he killed the Namekian that kept the dragonballs working. Not that he knew it.” And then he looks down, somber, like he’s thinking about this. Must’ve gotten all buddy-buddy with this Namekian, by the looks of it. Tch. “Now if you’ll excuse us,” he continues after a while, “we need to get our asses away from Freeza. You had better be damn glad that Bulma invited you on. I wouldn’t have.”

“You’re clearly stronger than her,” I say. “You had the final say in the matter, did you not?”

He gives me a look like I just said something stupid and turns away. “I got some stuff I have to tell you once you get everything set up,” he tells the woman. “You mind if I try to catch some shuteye in the meantime?” She shrugs and seems busy at the ship’s controls, and off he wanders.

“We’ve got an extra room that you and your friend can share,” she tells me, and points over her shoulder at the door.

“Awfully fancy for an escape ship,” I tell her, because it was the first thought I had. Honestly, she could have made it faster if it were smaller.

She shrugs, flips her hair over her shoulder. “I won’t travel in discomfort.”

“And I suppose you have a room full of food? That will last all of a week. You have three Saiyans aboard, woman. Surely you’re aware of our eating habits.”

“I was hoping to have Son Goku—oh, sorry, Kakarrot—and his son with us,” she snorts. “And then some. I’m not stupid.  I have plenty of food. But I’m not telling you where it is.”

“Are you stronger than Raditz?” I blurt. She’s acting every bit as cocky as him and I’d better know. She just laughs and points at her head. “I’ll take that as a no.”

“I don’t need to be strong,” she says. “Or didn’t you notice how I’m the one saving our asses?”

“I could survive fine with my pod,” I tell her. “Unlike you, I know which places have what, and what parts of the galaxy to avoid.”

“So you’d just let this Freeza guy run around making wishes on the Namekian dragonballs?” More keystrokes.

“And you intend to stop him?” Ridiculous.

“I intend to try. As I understand it,” she pauses, looks at her hands, looks back at the screen, “Son is dead. Gohan is dead. Piccolo. It’s up to me and Raditz—and Yamcha—to solve this.” She glances at the other woman. “You too, Lunch.”

“Oh, Bulma,” she giggles nervously, “you know I’m not as smart as you! I don’t know how I can possibly help!” At least the weak little thing knows her place.

“Just because you haven’t read as many textbooks as I have,” she says, giving the Lunch woman a too-nice glance, “doesn’t mean you won’t be able to help.”

“Just look at Nappa,” I say, glancing at him. “Stupid as a rock but I keep him around for some reason.” Nappa grins like it’s a compliment and the Lunch woman giggles. Whether it’s because she also thinks it’s a compliment, or because she has a shred of sense in her and is laughing at him, I can’t tell.

The other woman, Bulma, rolls her eyes at me and goes back to typing. Ordinarily I would use this as a good excuse to, say, kill her (tough to deny that her frightened screams would almost certainly be as music), but, hell, I don’t…don’t want to find out just how Raditz’s strength compares to mine. It’s too close—not like the wide gap between Nappa and myself. At least Nappa hasn’t taken to following him around. No, my best bet will be to wait and plan. I’m sure there is some other way for me to do him in, and I just have to manage it before we actually reach Namek. From there…there’s got to be some way to wait to make the wish. Or some way to speed it along. Or perhaps, if I can hide one dragonball for long enough that Raditz or I manage to do Freeza away, then I only need to deal with Raditz…

Either way, I can be certain that this will take time and thought. But patience I have (kneeling to that son-of-a-bitch Freeza for over two decades of my life—I can handle a year more if I must); and thinking, I (unlike Raditz) can do.





Converting /tmp/php1WeVVA to /dev/stdout