Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Garrulous and Gritless ❯ II, 3: Bulma ( Chapter 34 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
NOTE: I know that this is super short, which is the opposite of what you should expect when I go so unforgivably long without updating, soooo, I’m really sorry. Better late than never?Despite it being the beginning of a new semester, I’d like to try to build up some momentum and get back into the groove. My continued thanks to everyone for reading, reviewing, and all that…it means a lot to me. Please let me know what you think…if you still like this story, if I’ve gotten rusty and totally ruined it…et cetera. XD

Thank you all again for your patience. Eep. (Also, I hope I haven’t rehashed something I already did in this chapter. I didn’t reread the old stuff, just jumped into it.)



So when Raditz had first told me that there were other Saiyans I was kind of expecting creeps. After all, Raditz isn’t exactly the most normal person (I suppose not being a “person” at all, in the usual sense, is a part of it) and my impressions of him then were a little more…negative…than now.

So yeah. From that and their voices I had thoughts about what they’d be like. And maybe part of me was holding out for the thought that they’d end up being perfectly all right people.

But no. This Vegeta guy is, no joke, capital-C Creepy. I’m just glad that Raditz is here. Seeing Raditz rub his power in this guy’s face? More than a little satisfying. I’m sure between us we can handle this guy but that doesn’t change the fact that he gives off weird vibes. Nappa doesn’t seem as bad—reminds me of those macho guys who think they’re tough shit, but maybe a little less of a jerk (presumably because he has someone like Vegeta as a boss).

Still kind of wish I’d brought some of that chemical that I’d used to get rid of Raditz’s tail. Just in case. But—too late for that.

Too late for the Earth, from the sound of it.

Raditz waltzes into the room, probably still on a little bit of a high from showing Mister Creepy what-for. “You look awful thoughtful,” he says to me, plopping down onto the bed with his hands thrown behind his head, all casual.

“I was thinking about the fact that my home is about to be blown to kingdom come,” I inform him, and yeah, a little bitterly at that.

His face falls a little. “Oh. Yeah. Well, at least we escaped. Guess it wouldn’t be the first time I lucked out and didn’t get blown up with m—with the planet I shoulda been on.” He flips over, and his expression returns to a grin. Back to thinking about how he’s the strongest guy on the ship, I’d guess. Men. Or maybe…Saiyans.

“Tell me about this Vegeta guy,” I say, to get my mind off of things like all of my inventions and equipment and buildings and rooms and friends being torn into tiny fiery bits. Not that this is much more pleasant.

Raditz stares at me for a few moments, like he’s measuring why I’m asking. “Well, you’ve met ‘im, and I’ve already told you about ‘im. What else is there?”

“I don’t know,” I shiver, “why is he so…”

“Oh, I bet it’s on purpose,” he answers, like he knows exactly what I mean. “Plus the whole fact that he’s a sexless blue-blooded sonnuvabitch really helps things along, I’d say.”

All right. I guess that solves that.

“Why?” he goes on, “You think he’s handsomer than me?” Preens his absolutely stupidly ridiculous hair as he says it, grinning. I can’t think of anything clever to say to that, so I just punch him harmlessly (well, obviously) in the arm. His eyes narrow and he seems pleased. Yeah, he would like it when I punch him. “So what’s the plan?” he eventually says, which is surprising because I was expecting the next words out of his mouth to be a come-on.

“Well,” I’ve been thinking about this a little, “as I see it we need to use Namek’s dragonballs to get Earth back. Yes? You said that they have multiple wishes, so we can theoretically take care of everything we need to then.”

He nods. “Yeah, but I think you said somethin’ about dragonballs taking a while to recharge?”

“That’s the problem,” I muse. “We have to wait around for them to recharge, and assume that in the meantime Vegeta won’t try to pull something. Did you see the way he was looking around? So don’t trust him.”

“Maybe you should build him a glass cage,” Raditz suggests, feigning innocence. “And cut his tail off.”

Which, of course, only makes me think more about my lab getting blown up.

“Freeza, too,” he continues as if he hadn’t said a thing. “There’s him; he might do something. I mean, he’ll want th’ dragonballs as well once he figures out he can’t do anything on Earth and all.”

“I hope Son was smart enough to avoid telling Freeza that little detail,” I think aloud, “at least it would keep the Earth intact for a lot longer…but…” and now a sigh escapes me, “knowing Son, it’ll have been the first thing out of his mouth.”

“‘Ha!’” Raditz pitches his voice higher, in what I assume is meant to be an imitation of Son, “‘Now that you have killed the green guy, you can never ever get your wish! Hahah! You foolish lizard who is fifty bajillion times stronger than me! Now you will taste justice!’ Squish!  Something like that?”

Aw, screw it. It’s not funny (I tell myself) but I can’t hold back a snicker. “Something like that.” Ah. Gallows humor. Then straight back to problem-solving. (It’s sort of my thing.) “So unless Son developed some wit when we weren’t paying attention, Freeza knows that there’s no reason for him to stick around Earth. He’ll be heading straight for Namek. I think that if we keep up the pace, we can beat him there—he may have a really fancy ship” (I don’t know this, of course, but Raditz doesn’t correct me so I’m supposing it was a good guess) “but ours is quite a lot smaller.” And designed by me, of course.

“I hope you’re right,” he says. “So then what?” Of course, he’s not the planning sort. I imagine it hurts his cute little head to think too much. He seems to sense my line of thought and frowns at me.

“So we…well, I don’t know. We have to…somehow…” gears turning, gears turning, gears turning, gears clicking! “Well, we’ll have to take the dragonballs and the person who powers them with us! And keep running until we can make our wish. I guess.” Okay, so it’s not the best plan, and doesn’t take into account things like having to stop for fuel and food, but Freeza has to do that, too, right? I hope?

He rolls his eyes at me. “Okay, genius. I hope you come up with a better plan along the way. Or maybe some extra details. ‘Cause all I’m hearing right now is run real fast.”

“Well…basically…yeah.” Great. Getting called an idiot by Raditz. Maybe he’s right, but, well, what other options do we have? I just hope something doesn’t throw a wrench into the process. No curveballs, as Yamcha (still healing, looking better, thank goodness, because while Raditz is so sure he’s stronger than Vegeta, could he handle it if the big guy, Nappa, joined in?) would probably say.

Of course that’s usually what happens in all the books and movies the second someone says “if all goes according to plan.” And it’s becoming increasingly difficult to convince myself I’m not a part of at least one of these.

“You’re crazy,” Raditz tells me.

“Yeah, well,” I say. “At least my superiors don’t include a creepy possibly-rapist guy and a lizard who’s going to blow up the Earth.”

“Hey, that ain’t my fault!” he protests, shoving a pillow at me. That he doesn’t accidentally smother me in the process for some reason makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I’m about to say something witty in return when a bout of screaming issues from the common room.

Oh, great.

Lunch sneezed.

Converting /tmp/php7AmDhy to /dev/stdout