Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Royal Namekian Blues ❯ Fight or Flight? ( Chapter 45 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Royal Namekian Blues
By Trynia Merin aka StarbearerTM
Disclaimer: I don't own DBZ! Toriyama does. I only own fanchars Fermi, Bohr and Stellari. The rest is Funimation. I don't get paid for this and it's fan fiction! My thanks to Butterfly V, Surfer Sarah, and all you great reviewers for supporting this!

Fight or Flight?
Between them, they easily cleaned the carcass to mere bones. Raditz was picking his teeth with a shard while Goku licked his fingers and led the way to a gently rippling body of water. Sunlight gleamed across the small waves, low in the sky. Raditz saw the flash of smoke, and waved it away with a grunt when Goku clicked the plunger on his small capsule. When the effect cleared, two folding chairs and several boxes of fishing tackle and other items were neatly piled on the shore of the lake.
"You might wanna put on a hat. The sun gets pretty bright," Goku said as he pulled off his weighted training boots and wristbands. He sat down and grabbed a woven straw hat from the clothing pile to jam over his head of spiky hair. Raditz grunted and tugged at the straps of his armor. He let the breastplate drop, revealing his spandex tank top. The straw hat he grabbed did shade his sensitive Saiyan vision from the bright reflections off the surface of the water. Goku had started to assemble a long segmented rod once in pieces in one of the boxes. He messed with other fishing accoutrements with a careful glance, and then tossed the first pole to Raditz.
"So this is what you consider entertainment then. Stellari said many males on this planet engage in fishing for leisure," Raditz observed, watching Goku put together his spare pole.
"Yep. Gohan and I love coming out here. Sometimes we don't always use the poles. But I figured nobody would mind since we'll end up bringing dinner home if we're lucky," Goku commented. He sat back in his chair, easily holding the pole in one hand with a relaxed grip. Raditz couldn't comprehend how just sitting still would be so easy for his brother, but he did have a healthy respect for activities centered on hunting and fishing. At least the males of this world had some sense in recreational activities. Sports made some sense, but Raditz hated chasing a ball when he could be fighting or wrestling. One sport that amused him was 'professional wrestling', and the sport of American Football. The others were considered a waste of time.
"Gohan calls you Daddy, not Father," said Raditz. "What's the difference in words?"
"Hmm?" Goku asked.
"On Vegetasei we call our parents Mother and Father. I'm not familiar with this strange word Daddy, or Papa," Raditz said.
"If someone says Daddy, that's because they feel close and comfortable around them," said Goku. "It's like me saying Grandpa even though my Grandfather Gohan was… well my Grandfather."
"You still act as if he were your blood," said Raditz. "I see that adoption is as strong as blood."
"You guys didn't value family much did you?" Goku said.
Raditz hung his head. "That was because of Freiza's doing. Mother did not tolerate me acting with disrespect. But on Vegetasei, the children are taken from their parents at a young age. If they are not sent off, they remain in training camps. Third Class children are often raised by their Mothers. The Fathers are on some assignment or other. It wasn't till much later we sent the children off world."
"But you swallowed that stuff like it was Saiyan culture. And it wasn't," said Goku accusingly.
"Hell gives someone a long time to think about what they've done," said Raditz. He fumbled with the pole he clutched. Goku picked up his mug and took a huge swig of iced tea. He did not drink beer unless he was specifically partying. Even then he limited any alcoholic consumption, not that it affected him much due to high metabolism, but it wasn't of great nutritive value.
Raditz sipped the V8 from the tall sports bottle. He was glad that Goku knew his favorite beverage. Raditz consumed sport drinks and other high calorie liquids to fuel his athletic form. He shunned anything save these and wine or beer. Sweet drinks disagreed with him immensely. In the mornings he did drink coffee, but it was decaf since Stellari was pregnant. Besides, tomato juice looked like blood, and Raditz enjoyed the similarities. Saiyans drank beverages from fruits and vegetables while eating mostly meat. Yet they still needed their fiber like humans did.
"Is that so?" Goku asked. "I guess you had a long time out then, huh?"
"Very long," said Raditz quietly. "And I wasn't alone. The ones I killed wouldn't shut up. Neither would father."
"Bardock, huh," said Goku.
"He's your Father too," said Raditz.
"Maybe my birth father. But he wasn't my parent. Not like Grandpa Gohan," said Goku.
"I see," Raditz said softly. "Now I understand."
"Do you?" Goku asked.
"Stellari's boys call me Daddy. Like Gohan calls you," said Raditz sheepishly.
"Really, that's great!" Goku grinned. "No wonder you're different. You finally get it."
"Don't rub it in, Goku," Raditz growled.
"Hey, I'm just pointing out that having a family sure makes a man feel differently about fighting and killing," Goku said. "That's why Vegeta's so unhappy. He didn't have a loving Daddy or Mommy… or Grandparent."
"You don't get it. Fathers are not… affectionate in Saiyan culture. Mothers yes, but Fathers are strong and aloof…"
"So what?" Goku glared at him. "I'm not a Saiyan like you. I'm from Earth, Raditz. Planet Vegeta's gone! We can't go back to the past. We can make a NEW future on Earth, don't you see?"
"Kakkarot… Son Goku, that… that's absurd!" Raditz snapped.
"Maybe Vegeta makes you believe it, but just because you were that way doesn't mean you can't choose for yourself," Goku said as he tossed down his pole. "I don't WANT to be like that. And you don't have to either! You can decide for yourself who you want to be!"
"I serve the Prince," said Raditz angrily.
"Maybe you do. But it's still your choice. I don't. He's my friend, not my Prince," said Goku.
"You don't know what you're saying. It's treason!" Raditz snarled.
"Whoa, maybe for you. But he never ruled over me, remember?" Goku reminded him.
"You're right I suppose," Raditz snorted. "Damn it, Son Goku, this isn't easy for me!"
"No it isn't, is it? I just want you to see that what you're holding onto doesn't make you any better or worse then a man, Raditz. Loving someone makes you strong, not weak. It doesn't matter what Vegeta, or Bardock or anyone tells you! Because being cold and nasty and mean isn't the way you have to be…"
"You… I AM a Saiyan," Raditz snarled. "And so are you!"
"That ain't so," Goku countered. "Not like you think. I'm who I am because Grandpa Gohan loved me. And I'm a husband, and a father, and a fighter. I protect my friends and those I love. And you don't get that it's the most powerful weapon."
"How can LOVE be a weapon?"
"When you take it and make it a Spirit Bomb," Goku said sternly.
"A WHAT?" Raditz asked.
"Genki-dama. Spirit bomb," Goku said. "That's what defeated Vegeta. And Freiza. The most powerful attack I know. And it takes the energy of my friends, family, people I protect given willingly. The strongest weapon…"
"Insanity," said Raditz.
"Hate makes you strong Raditz, but love makes you even stronger," Goku said, grasping his hand. "Don't EVER be ashamed of being loved by your wife or children, or by me."
"You…" Raditz trailed off.
"That's right," Goku nodded. "You're not the Saiyan you were. You're better then that. Far stronger then you were before when you first came. Because you love her. And you love them."
"Love isn't something Saiyans feel! It's mushy and…"
"Love isn't that chocolates and flowers and stuff like that. That's just romance things that women like cause they feel sad if they don't get them on Valentines Day," Goku shook his head dismissively. "Love is who you are. In here… and here…"
Goku pointed to his head, and his heart. Then he placed Raditz hand over his own heart. "That's what makes you strong, Raditz. Believe it or not. And Vegeta will know it too. But he's too proud to admit it. And you are too. I know about that Saiyan pride whatever stuff. And it's stupid, but I respect it."
"Humph," Raditz mumbled, overcome with the weight of his brother's words. There was proof, the golden form with teal eyes that suddenly blazed into life before him. Goku's hair swam with energies as he stood up and seemed to gain height and bulk before Raditz.
"I was angry when this happened. Because Freiza took something away from me. That anger drove me over the edge. But it was anger from something that was done wrong. That's what it takes to be a Super Saiyan, Raditz. I know if Vegeta gets angry enough he can change. But his reasons are not good, but evil. Pure evil or pure goodness can make the change," said Goku.
"Prince Trunks can, but the Prince Vegeta cannot," Raditz admitted.
"You can," said Goku quietly. "You've got something to protect. And you're my brother. And Gohan and you both came close at one time or another. When you were facing me, protecting Stellari I saw one second when your eyes and hair flashed. It was just an instant, but your energies were amazing."
"You're lying," Raditz snorted.
"I'm not,' said Goku. "And I can help you. Like I am Gohan. Learn to use your power based on love, not hatred."
"The Prince will not allow this," said Raditz. Goku suddenly felt his strength fade, and slowly started to pant. He dropped, clutching his chest.
"Brother… what's wrong?" Raditz gasped, catching him.
"IT hurts…" Goku gasped. "I need… medicine…"
"Damn it," Raditz whispered, feeling the ebbing of Goku's strength. "Hold on… can you fly?"
"I… I'll try," Goku panted. "It only gets like this a bit… and then it goes…"
"Hold on, idiot," Raditz grunted, grabbing Goku's arm and wrapping it around his neck. Ashen faced, Goku felt his heart skipping and pounding against a great weight on his chest. He panted for the breath that was shallow and wouldn't come. Around him he felt Raditz strong arms holding him up. Growling, Raditz powered up his own ki, feeding a small amount into Goku's flagging strength. Concentration narrowed, forcing against the monster that consumed him from inside.
Goku felt energy slowly returning. He looked at Raditz with concern, panting for breath that seemed to revive him enough for him to stand on his own. "Thank you… that was close…"
"How often does this happen?" Raditz snapped. "You idiot, you shouldn't be changing!"
"I guess I'm too stubborn," Goku laughed.
Suddenly they both tensed. Raditz narrowed his eyes and growled while Goku stared sternly at the distant tree line. Both of them exchanged a glance of mutual understanding. They had felt the flare of ki, and then heard strange sounds. Yet there was no sense but rather an absence of ki. Raditz nose twitched with the scent of something not alive.
“There's something that's not organic nearby. I can smell the plastic. And it smells like my woman's projects,” he whispered.
“How can you tell?” Goku asked. “I can't sense any ki.”
“My sense of smell is better then yours, because you've lived on earth and I'm used to hunting by smell when I was doing my… ahem, hostile takeovers,” Raditz hissed. “Brother, we have to get the HELL out of here now!”
“Something's there… I see two figures… an old man, and a fatso,” Goku gasped. "I don't sense them! Are those the androids?"
"Brother let's go! You're in no shape to fight!" Raditz hissed. But it was too late.
Raditz tensed in anger for he couldn't see anything on the scouter nor sense any life force. All that told him of the existence of these interlopers was the smell of petroplastic, and the distant visual contact. Part of him wanted to try the power ball his Father Bardock had shown him, but he was more worried about the implications of a Giant Ape. Already Goku said the populace had complained about the sightings. He sensed that topic would have to wait for another time to be broached.
"Hold onto me, Kakkarot," Raditz whispered.
He dragged Goku back into the trees, his warrior instincts telling him that flying was the worst possible thing. A thousand things flashed through his mind and he knew that they were far from any help. If only they had something like a Sensu bean. Yet he doubted even that natural cure would help his brother's flagging life force.
"I'm okay…" Goku panted, his life force causing Raditz scouter to beep.
"Hmph, I still say we should retreat. My scouter's indicating these are artificial life forms," Raditz mumbled, changing the settings. "The scouter's unable to tell their exact levels, but it IS detecting them…"
"I can't see them. It's like they aren't even there," Goku whispered. "We've got to stop them…"
"No," Raditz growled. "You had best get the hell out of here! Run for it! I'll distract them."
"Raditz you can't take them on!"
"Don't underestimate me, Kakkarot. Power isn't everything," said Raditz with a small smirk that freaked Goku. "You're not ruthless enough to destroy them. I am."
"You may be right. Don't do anything stupid," Goku panted. He closed his eyes and cleared his mind. "Maybe I can call for help…"
However Raditz punched his scouter and whispered, "Raditz to the Prince… are you there? I've discovered two artificial life forms! I thought you'd like to know…"
"But Vegeta… isn't ready!" Goku gasped. Frantically Raditz awaited his Prince's reply. The space of a few seconds of static jarred his nerves.
"Silence, the Prince doesn't want you DEAD, brother. He still has a score to settle with you," said Raditz quietly. Goku staggered momentarily with Raditz arm supporting him further into the cover of the thick forest. Never would he have expected his brother to save him. Raditz grumbled to himself, trying to think of how to best deal with this till his Prince responded.
"Where are you?" Vegeta's voice echoed.
"The androids sire… and Kakkarot is having trouble…"
"Stay there and wait! Don't attack yet till I arrive!" Vegeta shouted. "I'm on my way!"
Carefully he held Goku to his body. "Hold on, Brother. I'm getting you out of here. You're in no shape to fight. And I cannot protect you at my current power level…"
Goku nodded, panting. Raditz punched his scouter and whispered, "Prince Vegeta… What should I do? Kakkarot's getting worse!"
"You had best get OUT of my way!" Vegeta snorted.
"But Kakkarot has fallen…" Raditz repeated, holding his brother who was panting more deeply. Against Raditz gauntleted hand, his brother's heart flubbed like a frightened bird.
"Get him out of there, Raditz. Make sure the idiot takes his medicine! I and Trunks will deal with this," said Vegeta. "I'm already halfway there! Take Kakkarot and fly away as fast as you can. Chances are those idiots will follow you!"
"Understood sire," Raditz nodded.
Raditz swept up Goku, locking his arms around his brother's body so his back was flush with his front. Goku gasped and panted, his ki senses detecting nothing, but his eyes and ears were screaming that someone was there. Blackness swarmed before his eyes as Raditz lifted up and surrounded them with a ki barrier.
"Now hold on, Goku. Listen to your brother for once!" Raditz snarled.
In the distance Raditz heard two voices talking. Speaking of a hunt for Son Goku. He could smell the petroplastic identical to Dr. Stellari's ki proof mixtures, encroaching. His scouter bleeped urgently as he recalibrated it for electronic beings. Thankfully Freiza's scientists had engineered cyborg detection into the scouters. One advantage he and Nappa had over the Z warriors were these alien devices. In a burst of energy he blasted off, breaking the sound barrier.
More urgent bleeps flickered on his scouter's curved surface. No power readings but proximity detecting two mechanized traces. Somehow it honed in on the android's power batteries. Raditz clutched Goku closer, pushing his mind to the limits in an attempt to out fly them. Despite being called a weakling, Raditz was one of the fastest fliers among the lower level soldiers in his unit. Goku's hands grabbed his wrists, clenching convulsively tight.
"I can't… I can't hide my ki," Goku panted.
"Don't try, Brother. Let them follow us. The Prince will get them!"
Goku's eyes opened wide to see two distant traces blazing. To his shock one of them had the power level of Vegeta. His blue signature blasted hot on the horizon. Coming from the West were two traces, one of them equaling Trunks, while the other equaled the one called Bliss. He could even discern Gohan and Piccolo's traces nearby.
Goku's senses faded the moment Vegeta's form blew up into its usual size, and he hollered, "Kakkarot you IDIOT! Don't you DARE die on me before we've settled our feud!"
"Vegeta… you can't fight them… you can't even sense them. Be careful!" Goku gasped.
"Shut up clown! Raditz, get him the hell out of here!"
"As you command, my Prince," Raditz grunted. Goku's last traces of sound vanished with Vegeta uttering, "Take your medicine fool!"

Next time find out what happened while Son Goku was unconscious as Vegeta, Trunks, Bliss and the others face off against 19 and 20!