Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chances for Bardock's Sons ❯ A Deal and Lack of Zeal ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
Second Chances for Bardock's Son's
 
By Trynia Merin aka StarbearerTM
 
Piccolo's Deal and Raditz' lack of Zeal
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Dragon Ball Z or Dragon Ball. I only own Tomic, Cabernet, and a few other fan characters. Toriyama and Funimation Toei Bird Studios Shuesha own DBZ. I don't get rich off this! This is Fan fiction! Don't sue me!
-------------------------
 
For the past few months Saiyan memories bubbled up from the previous owner of the tail, intercalating with hers. Was the Saiyan Tomic her, or was she still Atomique? Lyssra had told her back when they were first grafted that it was a side effect.
 
"Flesh has memory then," Tomic said quietly, sitting with Bardock's mate after a long day of training.
 
"How so?"
 
"Please I worked with living alchemy and knew the principle of chimeras. Two beings become one. This tail has stimulated the growth of Saiyan cells which are slowly integrating themselves with my human body," she said.
 
"You will become Saiyan,' said Lyssra. "A whole new being, a fusion of the strongest."
 
"And the worst," Tomic lamented. "I am no longer the woman I was. No longer human?"
 
"Not fully Saiyan, but remember one drop of Saiyan blood makes you one. Already your power levels are well within the norm of a Third Class female. Bardock does his work well," Lyssra said.
 
Memories of Barnard's Star whizzed back. Instead of going right to her assignment, there had been at least a month or two of final training at Cabernet and Napa's hands. While she had been sleeping in cryo, more Saiyan memories and training had been beamed into her mind through a psychochrom device. History, culture and fighting skills of a warrior's career ticking away at her subconscious to ready her mind and body for what it would face. So that when her eyes beheld Earth it was through the mindset of an alien. Two sides warring for domination with another whispering to her. Emptiness filled her, a longing to be complete.
 
"Wake up, woman," said Piccolo. Roughly clawed green hands shook her.
 
"Oh, Piccolo I had a terrible dream I was someplace else," she said.
 
"You stupid woman, what were you trying to prove?" Piccolo shook his head.
 
Tomic slowly glanced up into the face of Piccolo. While he wore the same outfit his cheeks were much slenderer then the version she knew from her memories. Two streams of recollection blended with one another. As she plummeted into unconsciousness she remembered Piccolo laying her down on a flat rock in those last few minutes.
 
He had closed his eyes, sending a mental message to the leader of the mercenary troops. Though paralyzed Tomic could still move her eyes to behold the armored vehicles approach after ten minutes. Like a leader born, Daimyo Piccolo motioned them towards the ruins of the red ribbon fortress. She heard Bulma's screams drowned out and moving far away.
 
"Milord, you escaped as you said," Captain Scarlet, the one who had fought Krillen commented.
 
"Yeah. Now get the hell out of my way. I'll join you at the fortress," Daimyo Piccolo commanded. "I'll take the alien myself."
 
"As you command," said Captain Scarlet. He waved to the other mercenaries, all of whom were wearing green and purple colors. The long white cape and turban he wore resembled Daimyo Piccolo's even his choice of shoes. Most of the other soldiers were animals of some sort, or green skinned creatures similar to the alien that had her captive.
 
"Move out!" Piccolo grunted. He had picked up Tomic, carefully under the knees and back, and then rocketed away with his mercenaries close behind him.
 
All these glimpses spun out of her memories when beholding his fact expectantly hovering over hers. She blinked up at Piccolo again, taking in her surroundings. Underneath her a luxurious silk bedspread covered a tall four poster hand carved bed of mahogany. Heavy brocaded curtains were tied back with braided gold cords. Soft pillows propped up her shoulders and back. Ten feet from the bed sat a massive wooden chair covered in leather. Its current occupant was Piccolo himself, seated there was folded hands and white cape draped partially around his body. His turban was still bound high on his head. From beneath those brows his intense eyes burned into hers.
 
“Now do you remember? I know you were just pretending to be knocked out. You were so drained that you couldn't move,” Piccolo grunted, adjusting himself as he leaned forwards.
 
"I didn't want them to kill the girl," she said.
 
"Since when did you care?" Piccolo asked.
 
"She's the heir to the richest fortune on this planet. Kill her and you loose a bargaining chip," Tomic grunted.
 
"You're one lucky monkey. If I didn't need your help to keep those Red Ribbon clowns off my tail…" Daimyo Piccolo grumbled, “I would have left you there.”
 
A green finger tipped in a luminescent claw pointed to a bandaged hole on her shoulder. To her shock she saw her armor had been removed. Instead a soft silk gown covered her body. Just who had undressed her she wondered. Still the hole stung badly. “Must have hurt me worse then I thought.”
 
“Their tin cans did that to you. If you were human the shock might have killed you,” Piccolo said.
 
“There's a way you can aid the healing process. Get me the first aid kit that's in my boot," she whispered. Piccolo grabbed the metallic box, opening it up. He searched for the bottles.
 
"Now what?" he asked.
 
"Put the blue cream on my wound. Then use your power to infuse it. It should heal my injury by pushing my body to repair itself," she gasped.
 
"Impressive. This is some of your advanced technology I see," said Piccolo with a grunt of grudging respect.
 
"Where are we?" she asked.
 
"In one of my Father's old bases. One that survived his demise," Piccolo said.
 
"You want to rule this world you said?" she grunted. "Just like he did?"
 
"Yeah, and I need your help. You're pretty damn powerful for an alien. You and I could take over this planet easily. That's why I freed you. You promised to help me if we got out. So we've escaped."
 
Something pricked her neck when she turned her head. Although the purple glow of his ki surged around her, she saw the sparking of her own fizzling out. Anxiously she raised her hand to finger the hated band of metal clamped there. “What's the meaning of this?” she demanded, shoving Piccolo's hand away.
 
"I wouldn't move if I were you. I didn't think you'd willingly cooperate when you first woke up, so I left the ki dampener on you. Now hold still!" Piccolo warned, tapping a device on his red sash.
 
"You imprisoned me just they did you? What sort of gratitude is that?" she growled. The sparking increased on the collar followed by a wave of weakness paralyzing her. She collapsed back on the soft cushions. Piccolo moved both of his hands again to hover just inches over her wound.
 
"It's part of my plan stupid," Piccolo grumbled, increasing the purple ki as he infused it into the alien's body.
 
"Damn it let me GO! You don't know what you're doing!" she cried.
 
"Shut up and LISTEN to me! There's a VERY good reason I did this! You fool; those humans would have placed you in a zoo. Associating with me has its consequences. And you did promise to help me, didn't you? I saved you. Be glad that you're not with the humans. They would destroy you because you are a 'monster' in their eyes," Piccolo snapped at her. “Now LIE still and let me do this so you're of use to me!”
 
Still outraged, Tomic gnashed her teeth. A smooth blue soothing sensation spread from the wound that was slowly clotting over. Right before their eyes the paste transfused Piccolo's ki into her cells, pushing her regeneration system to the limit. New skin would form in hours under the clot. She panted from the disruption of her ki again.
 
“Do you mean to starve me?” she asked.
 
Her stomach rumbled.
 
Piccolo turned up a slow grin. He clapped his hands sharply, and bellowed, "Bring some food for our guest. Get out of here and make it snappy!"
 
"Yes sire!" mumbled his servants, bustling off. Within minutes they returned with plates loaded with various fruits and vegetables. Piccolo commanded them to set the trays on a table that was scooted over to the side of the bed. Her mouth watered at the sight of fresh melons sliced and large bunches of grapes. Roast venison and duck steamed hot in silver dishes, making her mouth water.
 
“You may partake,” Piccolo said. “You're of no use to me dead. I've suppressed your ki enough to stop you from attacking me, but not enough to deprive your body of what it needs to eat, sleep and move.”
 
“All right,” she grunted, finding she had the strength to sit up. It was easiest to recline on one arm and reach over to feed herself with her other hand. Tomic eagerly started to devour them, stunning Piccolo with her ravenous appetite.
 
“Now Saiyan, you saw what those androids could do. If you and I work together we'll crush them, and then I can take over this miserable planet," Piccolo explained as patiently as he could.
 
"You think you can do it?" she asked.
 
"Yeah, but only if you help me. Already I've got a band of the best mercenaries who were associates of my father. They're waiting for my command. With your help I'll crush them. After I settle my score with Son Goku," said Piccolo.
 
"Then take this suppression device off!" she snorted, spitting cartilage out onto the nearby plate.
 
"I can't take the risk of you turning on me. Besides it masks your ki from those machines finding you. You'll have your chance to fight when I say so," he grunted.
 
"You're not my master. If my mate finds me a captive when he gets here he'll destroy you!" she grunted, shoving pieces of apple into her mouth. No smells of poison were present to her relief.
 
"That's why you'd better work with me. I possess the power to kill you. But you're too valuable. And wouldn't it help your plan if I controlled this planet? Speaking of, what ARE your orders? What sort of being ARE you?" Piccolo demanded.
 
"You've a lot of questions," she said.
 
"Yes, and you know answers. If you cooperate, I won't hurt the human Bulma. Fail to hear me out, and things could get unpleasant for her," said Piccolo.
 
"Fine, I'll answer your questions, Namekian," she said.
 
"For instance you mentioned you and I were from another planet. First tell me, what kind of creature ARE you?" he asked.
 
"I'm… I'm what's called a Saiyan," Tomic coughed. Her hand went to her throat when a lump of apple stuck there. Pounding on her chest she dislodged it.
 
"All right that's better," said Piccolo.
 
"Before I continue, may I see if the human Bulma is alive?"
 
"A moment," Piccolo said. He rose and turned on a television screen, across the room. Pointing to it, he backed away with folded arms. Images swirled into a picture of a lavish suite, where the blue haired female was slowly pacing back and forth looking bored.
 
"She's alive then?" said Tomic. Swinging her legs around she sat up with her hands braced on the edge of the bed.
 
"Yes. You're correct about her being valuable. It seems that you neglected to tell me she's a scientist. Captain Scarlet filled me in on that detail. She won't be bored for too long, because I'll put her to work on some technology to fry those machines," said Piccolo. He strode over and poured clear sparkling water into two crystal goblets. Taking one, he handed it to Tomic, who sat still on the edge of her bed. Around her neck the ki collar crackled.
 
"Thank you," she said, realizing he was trying to be somewhat civilized. Piccolo sat down in the leather easy chair, sipping his goblet of spring water.
 
"Unlike you and the humans I don't need to eat," Piccolo said. "And if you know so much about my race, you know why."
 
"So, what's this about me? How do you know anything?"
 
"I make it my business to know about alien species, milord," said Tomic quietly. "You're from a planet called Namek, thousands of light years across the galaxy. Your father was one of two beings, the other was called Kami, and he split off from this world's guardian."
 
"You know a hell of a lot, for a monkey woman," said Piccolo. "I can see that as long as you do what I say, you'll be pretty valuable. But cross me and you'll die."
 
"I don't wish to die. I only want Goku," she said.
 
"Why?"
 
"He's part of my family."
 
"No way, I'm going to kill him," he said.
 
"You can kill him, but then I take him with me, and you get to have Earth all to yourself. Help me get the resources to fix my craft and I'll go away and leave this planet alone. But there's ONE thing you have to do."
 
"What? Why shouldn't' I just hold you captive?" Piccolo demanded, picking up his crystal goblet again. His neck muscles twitched with the intake of several swallows of water. He leaned back in his large chair folding his leg over the other.
 
"Because there are those stronger then me. If you try and keep me here, they'll come after you. And believe me they're FAR more powerful then I. Especially my mate," she said.
 
"Your mate?"
 
"Yes. He'll know if I'm harmed. He's probably already on his way here, milord. You cross him, or let me come to harm, and he'll wipe out this whole planet," she said.
 
"Damn it, what are you Saiyans?" Piccolo asked her again, slamming his goblet down.
 
"We buy and sell planets to the highest bidder," she said quietly. "But I don't wish this world to come to harm. That's why I'm helping you."
 
"Terrific, anything ELSE I shouldn't know? Because you won't take this world without a fight!"
 
"I don't want to destroy you. If I help you become King of this world, then I'll keep my mate away from you. All you have to do is bring me a thousand humans I can use and trade for slaves. And the best females on this planet," she said.
 
"Why?" Piccolo grunted, sitting up in his chair and glaring right into her eyes.
 
"To sell as slaves. And the women are essential. My world needs females to survive," she said. "If you do these things I swear I'll serve you without question. But you must release me when my mate arrives. And he WILL come because someone took my scouter."
 
"That device you were wearing? That girl took it. The girl you saved," Piccolo snapped. "The one who's now my prisoner."
 
"It contains a transgalactic link. Luckily it was broken, but if she fixes it…"
 
"Who's listening?"
 
"My mate, my commander, and the Prince," she said.
 
"Prince? Wait a minute!"
 
"The Prince of my race," she said. "AS powerful as I am, he's twenty times my strength. He'd blow this world away with an energy blast. He's not someone you piss off."
 
"This is too much," Piccolo grumbled, shaking his head. "Damn it."
 
"That's why I need the women. He needs a mate, and this planet has beings that are genetically compatible. So I must find him a mate among the females you bring. There are three other planets being cleared that are being sold now. My mission was to find Goku and bring him back so he can join my force. And bring a thousand earthlings for a slave force," she said.
 
"Huh, that seems a small price to pay. So you Saiyans are mercenaries. Well that might just work to both our favor. Because if you help me take over Earth, I'll be able to provide you with all the humans you could want," Piccolo said.
 
"Even so, the Prince wants something else," said Tomic.
 
"What would THAT be?” Piccolo asked although he did not care for the answer.
 
"He wants to use the Earth as a base for training. So he can stop an enemy," said Tomic.
 
"Earth is mine," Piccolo snarled. "He can't have it!"
 
"What would you have me do, Namekian?"
 
"I've got it. Perhaps if I gave him a reason to stay away, he would. Maybe if he had another place he could build a base?" Piccolo mused, fingering his chin thoughtfully. "You're a space explorer surely he'd leave my planet if he had an alternative. There are nine planets in the Solar System. He can have Mars or something else."
 
"That all depends."
 
"Earth has many natural resources. He could have all the humans he wants as slaves. If I was King of Earth I could offer him gold, silver, any manner of things. Foodstuffs, anything if he'd leave us alone. Even technology. That Brief's woman owns Capsule, and you don't have anything like THAT do you?" Piccolo grunted.
 
"You have a point," said Tomic.
 
"And that Prince of yours is looking for a mate? You've got the future heir to Capsule. You hold her for ransom and that Dr. Briefs would give you anything you wanted. And then the Prince can barter with me personally, if he had the resources to build elsewhere," said Piccolo.
 
"I have to admit I haven't thought of that," said Tomic.
 
"You don't have much choice. I won't let them take this world. I might be from Namek but Earth is my own, and I plan to rule it. And I'll fight to the death no matter what," said Piccolo.
 
"I see. So, what do you wish me to do? I won't fight and kill without reason," said Tomic.
 
"Your powers are destructive. You and I could easily conquer," said Piccolo.
 
"You're on your own there," she snorted.
 
"Then Bulma Briefs dies," said Piccolo. "And Goku."
 
"Damn it," she cursed, feeling the crackling of the ki.
 
“I shall leave you for a time to consider what I've said,” Piccolo said. He flipped his white cape behind him, and then rose from the chair.
 
All she wanted to do was sleep anyhow. With a lump in her throat she curled up against the nearest pillow. Piccolo strode out of the room to leave her alone. Only when she heard his footsteps receding and eventually vanish did she allow herself to cry the tears she had suppressed.
 
“Raditz you big stupid baboon, where are you when I need you?” she lamented.
"Come on, fool," Raditz mumbled, carrying Goku to the shade of a tree. He lay his brother down in the sand out of the shade, and dropped to one knee. He removed the small medical kit he carried for such emergency field medicine, and set it to one side. According to his scouter, the battle power of his brother had dropped to a mere 200, and was fast fading. Kakkarot wheezed with each breath, from the rising and falling of the scorched red and blue cloth of his flimsy vest.
 
Raditz tore the material, having difficulty with the blue shirt. To his astonishment he realized it was far heavier than he'd anticipated. Metal was cold in his fingers, many little bits of it woven in interlocking rings sewn between two layers of blue cloth. Some rudimentary chain mail no doubt. Not wanting to waste time he tugged it off Kakkarot's torso. To his relief he saw there was a burn, but the main force had been stopped. A quick feel with his hand told him the nature of the cracked ribs, at least ten of them, and one had punctured his brother's lung. Sighing, Raditz reached for one of the vials. He slathered the cementing compound all over Goku's chest, and then struggled to push the bones into their natural position. Warm ki surged over to reinforce the makeshift cast that would hold the ribs in place while he pushed his brother's immune system to regenerate.
 
"Can't have the whelp starving on me," he mumbled, closing up the kit. Reaching into his boot he pulled out one of the mostly edible protein concentrates that they carried if nothing else existed. Most Saiyans hated the damn compressed bars, and this was no exception.
 
For a moment Raditz placed the flat of his fingers to Goku's forehead. He ran his hands over, turning the young man's head back and forth. Finally his fingertips found a small raised scar, at the back of the skull. Grimly he realized the injury's extent, and shook his head. Little wonder this brother of his acted so foolishly.
 
"Idiot. To come all this way for this. A half-imbecilic clown. But I suppose with the right training I can make a Saiyan of you yet. You've got courage taking someone on more powerful than you. How much like Father you look. Rather disturbing. And that damn voice," he shook his head. Kakkarot's voice was much higher pitched then should be for one his age. Was it brain injury to the speech centers or something else?
 
Still his brother had nicely filled out with muscle. Rolling him over Raditz tugged aside the waistband to see the rounded scar from where his tail had once been. His eyes narrowed in anger as he growled. Then he carefully rolled his brother over onto his back once more. His eyes fell upon the large round scar at the jugular vein, the shape of someone's teeth. Very small and puny, but unmistakably in the right place for a Saiyan love bite.
 
"Wonders never cease. You've found a mate," he mused. "And you've had her mark you. Perhaps the Saiyan instinct IS there after all."
 
He rose, turning his head back and forth to scan once more. To his anger there was no sign of Tomic's trace or the Namekians. However the battle power rose behind him, with the moans of his brother coming around. Slowly Goku blinked up into the face of the frowning Saiyan warrior on one knee.
 
“Eat this fool. I can't have you dying on me,” Raditz growled, shoving the protein bar in his face.
 
"You… you're still here," he said with a small half smile. He took the bar and wolfed it down in only two bites. Raditz threw him another, followed by a third. Certainly the fool ate like one of his kind.
 
"You are an insufferable IDIOT! Be glad I spared your foolish life! Legendary curse me WHY I wasted it! Thanks to you, I've lost ALL trace of Tomic!"
 
Goku forced himself to sit up, and yelled back, "Hey don't' be so angry, Raditz! You didn't let me finish!"
 
"Stupid, worthless half witted CLOWN! If she dies I'll kill YOU!" Raditz cursed.
 
"Hey, I know you're mad. Just listen to me please! There's a GOOD reason why I stopped you, and I want to help you, but you were the first one to attack me!" Goku yelled loud enough to cut Raditz off. The piercing sound of his alto voice and the grip he hand on Radditzu' arm caused him to glare at his brother in rage.
 
"You have ONE minute to explain before I leave you here to ROT, Kakkarot!" he snarled.
 
"For the last time, my name is Son Goku, got it? And I may be a Saiyan or whatever kind of person you say, but you MUST listen to me! The reason I stopped you is because Piccolo's got your friend. And he'll kill her if we attack directly!"
 
Goku suddenly grabbed Raditz' wrist and twisted it behind him. Desperately he pinned Radditzu' arms behind him, with appreciable strength. Unfortunately Raditz muscles were more for load bearing, and the leverage to break free was gone. Kakkarot had used this to his advantage, used to low gravity.
 
"NO! Damn you let me GO!" Raditz howled, straining against his brother. Just why couldn't he break such a simple lock was beyond him. Somehow he had underestimated his brother seriously!
 
"Wait there! WHOA, listen to me! There IS a way to save her, and I'm already doing it! My friend's with her, and if we challenge Piccolo he'll spare her! But attacking NOW he'll kill her!" Goku yelled. "Do you want her dead?"
 
"Not likely! I'll slay him!" Raditz snarled.
 
"Raditz PLEASE I want to help you, but you have GOT to stop!" Goku urged. "I don't want to break your arms but I could."
 
"Fine, you win, Kakkarot," said Raditz sullenly.
 
“I'm letting you go, but I warn you if you try to get away, I'll stop you. And I know more than you think I do!” Goku countered.
 
“Release me,” he gritted. “I beg of you, she'll DIE! I cannot allow that to happen!”
 
"She means a lot to you, huh?" Goku asked, still holding tightly to Raditz who jerked his body back and forth.
 
"She's my MATE you fool!" Raditz snarled.
 
“Your WHAT?” Goku asked.
 
"My MATE! She's EVERYTHING to me!” Raditz roared, straining as tightly as he could. “If she is killed I can't be responsible for the consequences! You have a mate yourself! Would you let her die so easily?”
 
“I'm… I'm sorry I didn't' know," Goku apologized. Raditz shoved Goku away when he released him. Yet instead of turning on him as Goku feared, Raditz slammed his fist into the nearby tree.
 
"You don't understand you half wit," Raditz cursed.
 
“I do understand, Raditz,” Goku said quietly. “I just got married a few weeks ago. If anything happened to Chichi I don't know what I'd do.”
 
"Damn it!” Raditz shouted, swinging his fist at another tree.
 
"Relax, I want to help. I swear to you we'll help find your wife, I mean mate or whatever. If it's the last thing we do. But flipping out wont' help her. I've got my best friend in there, and she'll DIE if we both charge in!"
 
"What would you have me do, Kakkarot?" Raditz snarled, wheeling on him.
 
"Wait. Piccolo challenged me to a duel at the World Martial arts tournament in two days. As long as I enter he'll leave your… mate and my friend Bulma unhurt. He's got some honor," explained Goku.
 
"You believe him?" Raditz sneered. “Idiot!”
 
"I have to. Please Raditz, if you're patient and TRUST me we can get your wife Tomic back. And my friend Bulma. Bulma was captured trying to help Tomic. Because Tomic saved her life."
 
"Why should I trust you, fool! You who don't remember who you are!"
 
"Hey, wait, I'm angry too!" Goku snapped, shoving in front of him. "But this won't help. We got to plan and outsmart him."
 
"Am I hearing things or did the word 'smart' pass through your lips?" Raditz smirked. "You are hardly one to outsmart ANYONE."
 
"Hey, I'm not stupid. I might not be smart in the way most people are but I'll fight for my friends. And anyone who's crying out for help. Your mate saved my friends, so that means I owe her. And if she's your mate then I owe you a favor. Especially since YOU saved my life, okay?" Goku shot back, gripping Raditz' arms tightly with a crushing pressure that impressed his brother. Black armor heaved with each of Raditz' labored breaths. Sighing, Goku released him.
 
"Trusting naïve FOOL," Raditz grumbled, slapping his hand to his forehead.
 
"I guess you're not exactly the happiest guy in the world," Goku commented.
 
“Not without Tomic,” said Raditz, meeting Goku's gaze. “And if you comprehended what drove me here you'd be angry as well.”
 
“Is someone forcing you to do things that you know are wrong?” Goku suddenly asked.
 
Shocked, Raditz blinked at him. “What would YOU know of such things? You who grew up with few enemies on this paltry world?”
 
“You are being forced. I can tell that you like fighting as much as I do, but you'd rather find your wife then kill people. Am I right?”
 
“Saiyans kill. We are predators. We hunt to survive,” said Raditz.
 
“Are you here to kill people? Because if you are, I'll have to stop you, no matter the cost, Raditz,” said Goku firmly.
 
“I won't kill anyone, if you help me find Tomic,” said Raditz firmly.
 
“Good. Because I'll be watching you,” Goku said.
 
“So, what is this tournament you speak of?” asked Raditz, leaning against a tree as Goku levitated up to pick oranges and other fruits from the various trees. He sat in the shade, eagerly stuffing his face as his brother watched.
 
“It's a martial arts tournament held every so often. My friends and I enter for prizes and money, but mainly I do it because it's fun,” said Goku, spiting out seeds to his side. He punched the tree Raditz was standing under, raining a great deal of apples from all around that caused Raditz to dodge. Making a pile he offered one.
 
“Huh,” Raditz muttered, through bites of apple. “Sounds remotely interesting. But hardly a challenge for one such as me.”
 
“Hey, why don't' you enter the tournament with me, and we can BOTH surprise him."
 
"Have you lost LEAVE of your senses, Kakkarot? Wasting my time entering a… martial arts whatever it is?"
 
"It's a fighting tournament. And everyone has a chance to spar and fight to become world champion. Piccolo's challenged me because I killed his dad, even though I didn't want to. And if I face him in the tournament fairly he'll release them," said Goku.
 
"You have no guarantee, Kakkarot," said Raditz. “Not with your powers. Even though you are the strongest fighter on this world when first I landed, the power trace of your other has grown steadily.”
 
“How can you tell?” Goku asked.
 
“This device tells me power levels,” Raditz said, pulling off his scouter and handing it to Goku.
 
“You need a machine to tell you something you can sense? Well the first thing I can teach you is how to sense ki without that. Because he's hiding his true power, like you suggest. And I'm no pushover either,” said Goku.
 
“Sense battle power without this?” Raditz blinked.
 
“It's easy.”
 
“Show me, and I'll show you a fighting style that will guarantee your victory against this Piccolo,” said Raditz. “You know much, but you move far too slow. I can show you a way of moving that no eye can follow.”
 
“You mean that?”
 
“It is an equitable trade, Kakkarot. If you love fighting as much as I, then you cannot deny the love for growing stronger,” Raditz said. “Doesn't it stir your blood?”
 
"Um, Raditz, one thing, my name isn't Kakkawhatever. It's Goku. Son Goku. Why are you calling me that name?"
 
"It's your true Saiyan name, you idiot," Raditz snorted in disgust.
 
"Look we've got lots of work to do. You can either wait and be patient, or enter the tournament. I'm sure with us working together we can stop Piccolo. Or he'll kill all my friends," said Goku. "Do you WANT that?"
 
"No. I've already lost a good number of friends, and family," Raditz said.
 
"What ARE Saiyans? Besides being aliens?” Goku asked, sitting Indian style in the shade. Raditz sat down opposite him, and took the container of water Goku had filled from the river. He finally partook of the gathered fruit, munching on it.
 
"You have much to learn," Raditz said quietly.
 
"Why did you just KILL those people?" Goku asked.
 
"That's what Saiyans do. We kill. We're fighters, space warriors, and predators. Fighting is in our blood. Surely you must wonder why you love to fight," said Raditz.
 
"Yeah I DO like fighting, and hunting. Bulma was shocked as heck when she saw me eat raw meat!”
 
"So you ARE a hunter," Raditz smirked. "Well, well not ALL of our ways have been lost. Your instincts remain intact. Tell me, when you had your tail, did you EVER look at the full moon?"
 
"Not lately. There's a terrible monster that comes out. The first time I DID look at the moon I fell asleep and when I woke up, everything was smashed, and Yamcha and Bulma barely survived," he shuddered. Raditz blinked, his mouth dropping in shock.
 
"Do you realize WHAT you're saying?"
 
"I tell you that monster exists! It trampled my grandpa!"
 
"You IDIOT! That monster was YOU!" Raditz exploded in frustration. "When a Saiyan has his tail and looks at the full moon, he reaches his TRUE potential! No wonder you were able to fit in here!"
 
"Are you kidding me? You mean that my tail… no way!" Goku blinked.
 
"Yes Brother. That's another thing a Saiyan does. Damn you've much to learn… and there is so little time," Raditz snorted in further disgust, cursing in Saiyanese again. Now he knew how the Prince must feel, or his own father must have felt dealing with relatives. Having a little brother was far more irritating then he'd ever imagined.
 
"Brother? Why did you call me that?" Goku asked, grasping Radditzu' shoulder.
 
"Because you are my brother. My little brother, who crashed here when he was a baby. That knock on your head made you forget WHO and what you are," said Raditz.
 
"Wait, you're saying… you and me… are... brothers?" Goku stammered.
 
"Yes, Kakkarot. You and I are of the same blood. That's why I'm here. To find my mate, and you, to teach you what you are," said Raditz tightly, trying to keep his cool.
 
"But Grandpa said he found me…" Goku trailed off, shaking his head. He dropped to sit on the ground in shock, head spinning.
 
"I'm more like you than you realize, Kakkarot," said Raditz not unkindly. "That bite on your neck. Surely you wonder WHY you bit your OWN mate."
 
"You know?"
 
"Saiyans bite their mates to mark them. You've taken a mate here. Have you any children?" Raditz asked.
 
"Not yet…" Goku blushed. "But soon."
 
"For the sake of your mate and child to be, you had best let me teach you what it is to be Saiyan. All this could be gone in days if you don't assist me. This Piccolo being is a Namekian. And they're capable of GREAT power beyond what you've seen.”
 
“He's a what?”
 
“Piccolo is from Namek. Another planet. Namekians are fierce fighters as well as strong healers. Although the planet is distant from Vegetasei, and our current base Alvegasei, their explorers have crossed swords with our kind in the past. And let's just say they were quite formidable. Conquering their world proved to be a waste of resources for they had ways of diverting any invasion fleet. Plus the planet was far too remote from any galactic center to be of viable use. The closest planet of any desirable strategic value is Yardrat, and even that has not been well surveyed,” said Raditz.
 
“Huh, weird name for a planet,” Goku scratched his head.
 
“The beings of that world are all said to travel instantly from one place to another, but few have actually gone there to find out. They are explorers who travel by mere thought, and always escape before they can be captured, at least according to what Father said,” Raditz muttered.
 
“But you vanish. I know you're probably moving very fast, but you're far faster then even any of me or my friends can move,” Goku panted.
 
“Your body structure is ten times as dense as any creature on this world, save that Namekian,” said Raditz. “Doubtless you've noticed your impervious to any harm? It's your molecular structure's cohesiveness.”
 
“If that was the case you coulda let me drop, but you didn't,” said Goku.
 
“A momentary lapse. I need your assistance. If you can sense ki then you can help me locate Tomic,” said Raditz. “I cannot sense her without this device.”
 
“That thing only reads what's goin' on right now, doesn't it?” Goku asked, as he put it over his face and randomly punched buttons. “Neat, I'm assuming these are big numbers. Not that I'm that GOOD with math and all. But Chiaotzu isn't either.”
 
“Hmm, well… that isn't important now. But my readings indicated you were the strongest, and then the Namekian's powers overshadowed yours. The highest power reading was Tomic, who's level is almost equal to mine. That's when she's not powered up. But it seems that I cannot rely upon it as you say,” Raditz mumbled.
 
"I know. And that's not the worst part! Piccolo could get the Dragon balls and make a terrible wish. Wait, I forgot to tell you," he said, seeing Raditz shake his head again.
 
“What are… Dragon Balls?” he groaned.
“Um, I don't know if I should tell you, but since they're inert… well they're a way of making special wishes. But they're hard to find, and once that wish is made, then they can't do it again for another year,” Goku said.
 
“Can the dead be brought back to life?” Raditz asked.
 
“Yes, actually. But why do you want to know?”
 
“My people, our people were slaughtered several years ago by a tyrant named Freiza. He's the reason we hunt…”
 
“What do you hunt for?” Goku asked, widening his eyes.
 
“Brother, Saiyans are mercenaries for hire. Till recently we would attack planets and clear them of life for high paying customers,” said Raditz.
 
“What… you…” Goku stammered.
 
“It seems savage to you, but Freiza is all powerful. Only one of our species could stand against him. And he slew Freiza, but now the threat is even greater. Others of Freiza's clan threaten to wipe out what little remains of the Saiyan race. Our mother was killed in the explosion that claimed Vegetasei. And the second attack was caused by this `hero' we thought we could trust.”
 
“Wow, who was that?” Goku asked, his attention fully focused on his brother's tale.
 
“Broly, the master of all Saiyans. But he is not our rightful ruler. Our King was slain by Freiza. Father tried to stop him, but barely escaped with his life. But many of us escaped the explosion and found a new home world, where we settled, ruled by Broly, son of Lord Paragus. He was Regent, till our Prince Vegita came of age to rule. But Freiza took Vegita captive and he was imprisoned. Leaving Broly to claim leadership. But he's gone mad…”
 
“Wait a minute, your king was killed by Frieza? And he had a son?”
 
“Do pay attention, Kaka… Goku,” mumbled Raditz, noticing his brother wincing at the use of his original name.
 
“Okay, go on. Sorry,” he apologized.
 
“Broly has achieved great power. Once every 1000 years one Saiyan achieves the Legendary. He becomes a true Super Saiyan, and his power is far in excess of all others. Either he becomes a great hero that saves, or the destroyer of our race. Broly is a brute, unable to rationally control his powers. That's why those loyal to Prince Vegita sought to find him and overthrow Broly. But to do that we had to take one last purging job,” said Raditz.
 
“Man, that's awful. But that doesn't justify slaughtering innocent people, Raditz,” said Goku angrily.
 
“Don't be too hasty to judge. You were sent here to do the same. You would have if not for the injury that caused you to forget. But you will not be asked to do such things after our Prince gains his true power,” said Raditz.
 
“Where is this… Prince now?”
 
“He's on his way here, with the remainder of our party. Four of us went to retrieve him from the Mantissans. Sub commander Nappa, his mate Cabernet, myself and Tomic. But Cabernet was slain because we were betrayed. We had found the Prince, but we found it was a terrible price,” said Raditz, squeezing his eyes shut.
 
“He's coming HERE?” Goku yelped.
 
“This world is in peril. All worlds are if Broly is not defeated. And even after he is gone, there are still the siblings of Freiza. So even if you could defend this world, it would be taken. Only by standing with us can you hope to save your… friends, don't you see?” Raditz asked.
 
“You're asking ME to join you?” Goku blinked. “Wait a minute! My home's HERE! And if this Prince is coming… what's to stop him from taking over just like Piccolo if you guys conquer planets?”
 
“The Prince is young and needs guidance. Napa and I were responsible for educating him when he was revived. Now that our second home world is in ashes, there are precious few of us left, Brother. The Prince needs a base of operation to train and fight Broly, and he needs a mate. He hopes to find both on Earth.”
 
“On EARTH? But he can't take it over! Can't he just… find somewhere else, or maybe… maybe he could just TRAIN here with me and you, and then leave when he's done?”
 
“Perhaps. But you'll have a devil of a time convincing him that, Brother,” Raditz sighed.
 
“And besides, Piccolo's the threat now. How long till the Prince gets here?” asked Goku.
 
“The prince could brush Piccolo aside. He's a hundred times stronger. And Napa is twenty times even my powers. I'm considered a lower class warrior for all my strength here,” Raditz grunted.
 
“Your powers are way stronger then anything I've sensed. Even Piccolo wouldn't stand against you,” Goku muttered. “That's why if you enter the tournament you could stop him, if I can't.”
 
“Why do you trust me so much? You know I could easily take you by force with me,” Raditz snorted.
 
“I hope you won't. Because you're still a good person, under all that fighting and killing. You're not truly evil. Or else I would have sensed it,” Goku said.
 
“You're an idiot!” Raditz threw back his head and laughed.
 
`You saved my life, remember? You could have killed me, but you didn't,” Goku persisted.
 
“That means nothing, Kakkarot… I mean Goku,” mumbled Raditz. “You have no idea what you're dealing with.”
 
“I think I do. Maybe you and I should go to a place where we can train,” Goku suggested. “I want to show you where I grew up. And then maybe you can tell me more about what I am dealing with?”
 
“Fine, you asked for it,” said Raditz. Goku saw the yellow nimbus cloud slowly drifting along, as if waiting. He leapt on top of it, slowly levitating up.
 
“Follow me then, okay?” Goku suggested.
 
“Can you not FLY even under your own power?” Raditz snorted. “What sort of toy is that?”
 
“It's a Flying Nimbus, and I ride it because well, it's easier to save my ki for fighting,” Goku shrugged. “C'mon, race you.”
 
“What have I gotten myself into?” Raditz groaned. He knew he needed help finding Tomic if his scouter was unable to locate her. While it would be easier to blast down all the cities, he felt a sudden reluctance to do so, lest he accidentally hurt Tomic. She was a Saiyan, impervious to most harm, but if what he suspected were true, perhaps relying on his scouter could get him into trouble.