Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Willpower ❯ Cheaters Never Win ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Nope wasn't me.

AN: WOW! This story made the top fourteen. I feel so honored! *sniffs and flicks a tear* Well enjoy this update.

* * *

Bulma scanned the faces of her guest with a frown. Yamucha had been bugging her about dinner so she'd sent Trunks to tell Frederick to start serving. She looked over the group again and her eyes landed on the stairs as her husband made his glorious descent. Quickly, averting her eyes she glanced to the entrance and smiled. Goku, ever the gentleman, was helping his scowling wife out of her coat.

"Perfect," she murmured with a sly smile.

"Is it?"

Bulma turned at the voice and smiled into the girl's blue eyes.

"Yes, as a matter of fact, it is. The prey has just arrived and the trap has been set."

Videl frowned and crossed her arms. "English please?"

Bulma smiled. The kid had spunk. "I put the powder in a crystal wine glass with a gold rim around it and told Frederick to make sure ChiChi gets it. It's pretty much in the sack- pun intended."

Videl's frown deepened for a moment then she nodded.

"Well, don't you two look cozy."

The coconspirators turned to a frowning ChiChi.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd think I had to watch my back," she said giving each a meaningful look.

Videl faltered a moment but Bulma was use to the brunette's intimidation tactics and didn't flinch an inch. "Of course not. As a matter of fact I was just telling Videl I was about to call for dinner."

"Oh really?" ChiChi said her doubt obvious.

Bulma frowned, her face the picture of innocence. "You know ChiChi it's really insulting that you would accuse me of scheming behind your back when we've struck a deal fair and square."

Videl couldn't help but be a little stunned at how easily the lie rolled off Bulma's tongue. She herself had never been a very good lair and privately wandered if Bulma's ease with the craft had come from her years with Vegeta or if she had come by the trait honestly. She decided that either way she should leave before she blew their plans. Spotting her father across the room, she figured she should go across and speak.

"All right guys food's up!" Trunks said coming out of the kitchen. "We can head for the dining room now."

With murmurs of pleasure the Z senshi made their way to dining room and began taking seats at the large cherry oak table. As Videl started to make her way towards one side of the table a hand at her waist stopped her. Ignoring the shiver up and down her spine, she gave her husband a quizzical look.

"Mom wants us to seat near them," Gohan said dropping his hand almost as soon as he touched her.

"Oh, okay," Videl said as she followed him around the table and took a seat next to her mother-in-law.

ChiChi gave her leg a small pat of approval under the table and sent a taunting glare across to Bulma, who rolled her eyes as she picked up a small serving bowl and placed a helping of pasta on her husband's plate. Vegeta sat next to her, arms crossed and a murderous glint in his eye.

The bots had placed most of the food on the table already and the close-knit group dug in as they chatted amongst themselves. It didn't go unnoticed, however, that the three older Saiyan males only picked disinterestedly at their food while their spouses remained unnervingly silent.

Watching Goku push his pasta around on his plate, Tien frowned in concern as he leaned towards the man next to him and questioned, "Is he ill?"

Krillin glanced at his long time friend and shrugged. "I wouldn't say that. Deprived would be a better word."

Before the puzzled three-eyed man could ask him what he meant, Krillin let out a small yelp as 18 kicked him from beneath the table and gave him a warming look. Couldn't he keep his big mouth shut about anything?

Frederick exited the kitchen pushing the wine cart and began distributing the glasses. As he reached the Son side of the table he made sure to deposit the gold-rimmed glasses with two Son women and moved on. Videl had been chatting halfheartedly around Gohan with the Ox-King and didn't notice the glass until she lifted it to take a drink but stopped before it touched her lips as the glittering rim caught her eye. Blue saucers replaced her pupils as she sat the glass down and glanced at ChiChi's. They were identical.

Her initial thought had been that Bulma was trying to ran a con on her but one look at the blue hared beauty set her suspicions to rest. Bulma had been watching the glass distribution closely and had been just as shocked as Videl to see the match.

Videl gave her a helpless little look and Bulma discreetly shook her head. Her message was clear. Don't drink from the glass. And that was exactly what she intended to do.

The clinking of silver to glass drew everyone's attention to Yamucha as he stood. Glass in hand, he cleared his throat.

"It's so rare that we all get together so I'd like to take this opportunity to say something. Well, we've all been together along time. Danger after danger we've stayed close though most of us are worlds apart, both literally and figuratively." At the soft chuckle of the group, Yamucha paused and looked around the table meaningfully. "It seems that every time we come through a new threat we have new friends to show for it." His eyes then fell on Vegeta and a taunting smile touched his lips. "Well…most of the time." As the rest chuckled, the Saiyan didn't even spare Yamucha a glance as he continued to stare angrily off into space.

Realizing that the man was not in the mood to be trifled with, Yamucha cleared his throat again and raised his glass. "So please raise your glasses with me in toasting us, Earth's Special Forces."

As people began raising their glasses, Videl gave hers a look of pure fear. She looked across the table at Bulma, who only shrugged helplessly.

Gohan frowned at his wife who wasn't getting anywhere near her glass. "Videl, pick up your glass," he whisper to her.

"No that's all right. I'm not thirsty right now," Videl said lamely.

"Come on, Videl. You're being rude," he said, his patience with her running extremely thin.

Chewing on her lip, Videl reluctantly lifted her glass to her lips and took a small sip.

Mrs. Briefs sat down her now empty glass and smiled at her daughter. "Bulma, dear, way don't you put on some music for dancing?"

Bulma, who was still watching her plan fall apart, turned to her mother and gave her a weak smile. "Sure Mom," she murmured as she pushed away from the table and made her way to the sound system.

As the slow music began to flow from the speakers, couples began to make their way towards a small clear space to sway to the music. The Ox-King glanced at his daughter and smiled. "ChiChi dear why don't you and Goku go dance?" Even he had picked up on the tension between the couple lately.

ChiChi glanced at her husband almost warily and Goku sighed as pushed out his chair. Standing he extended his hand to her and they proceeded to the floor.

Videl saw what was coming next and knew it was time for her to get the hell away from Gohan. Glancing down the table she surveyed her options. The only men left at the table were Gohan, Vegeta, Trunks, and Goten. With two of those choices obviously out, she stood and moved towards the two boys, leaving her husband and his grandfather without a word.

As she did she watched a busty young blond maid lean over and whisper in Trunks' ear. The boy smiled and stood to lead the young woman to the floor.

"Perfect," Videl murmured as she stopped in front of Goten. "Goten, will you dance with me?"

Goten looked up from his plate in surprise then glanced down the table at his scowling brother in confusion. Shrugging, he wiped off his hands and stood.

"K," was all he said as he led her to the floor.

* * *

Jadedbest: Well Bulma, what do you think of your plan now? Didn't I tell you that cheaters never prosper?

Bulma: Leave me alone. I'm not talking to you.

JB: Well, that attitude's not going to get you out of this bet. *turns to readers* So next chapter: what's this? Could it be a LEMON?!?! Probably not but we'll see ^_~. You + Review = Update. Thanks for reading.