Fake Fan Fiction ❯ I Forever Do ❯ An Uneasy Dinner ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

YOU'RE WHAT!?
 
“Dee please don't yell.”
 
“FUCK I AM GOING TO YELL! DINNER WITH THAT CREEP!? NAH UH NO WAY!”
 
“It won't be long, I am just dropping off the reports to him, let him know how the case is going and that's it.”
 
“Yeah right and that's a pink pig I see flying over the Hudson, are you that dumb!?”
 
Ryo clenched his fists as he drove towards Ryo's apartment. It had been a trying day. No evidence in Central Park, no witnesses to the murder, no call back from the M.E. and now this. Ryo had decided to spare the other detectives the torment of Dee's impending temper tantrum that he knew would happen once he broke the news that he was going to have dinner with Rose by mentioning it now when they were on their way home. And of course, just like he expected, Dee flipped out.
 
“God I hate that man, sometimes I just wish he would get a transfer out of the damn country and leave us alone.”
 
Dee lit a cigarette and smoked angrily as Ryo drove. They sat in silence for a long while in the New York City rush hour traffic.
 
“He's our boss Dee, like it or not. And I have a responsibility as a cop to follow orders.”
 
“Right and if he asks you to drop your pants and bend over so he can fuck you stupid over his desk you'll just follow those orders right?!”
 
Ryo glared trying to keep his temper in check.
 
“I'll pretend I didn't hear that…for now.” Ryo sighed. “Dee you have to trust me alright.”
 
Dee growled.
 
“It's HIM I don't trust.” Dee murmured.
 
Ryo giggled.
 
“Need I remind you how you laughed when I told you that I slugged him after he kissed me?”
 
Dee's eyes softened.
 
“Yeah, I remember that.” He said with a chuckle. “That was pretty funny. But…”
 
“But?” Ryo asked.
 
“But I wanted to plan our wedding with you tonight.” Dee said sadly. “You know, make some dinner, have some wine, and talk about our plans, set a date, start packing up your apartment so you and the brat can move into mine. It's been a shitty day and I just want to forget it all by enjoying tonight with you.”
 
Ryo smiled as he parked the car into the apartment garage. He reached over and held Dee's face in his hands.
 
“And we will.” Ryo said. “An hour…two tops is how long I will be. Then I will come home and you and I can plan our beautiful wedding together. Besides, we still have to set a date with the landlord at your place and tell him when Bikky and I will be moving in.”
 
Dee smiled as Ryo planted a kiss on his cheek.
 
“I promise I will come home to you tonight Dee, still you're fiancée and still madly in love with you. Nothing bad will happen, okay?”
 
Dee took Ryo's hands in his and kissed them passionately.
 
“Okay.” Dee said. “I am going to hold you to that Ryo”
 
He kissed Ryo on the mouth warmly and got out of the car.
 
“I love you!” Dee yelled as he gave a quick wave.
 
“I love you too! Take care of Bikky while I am gone.” Ryo yelled out. “TRY NOT TO KILL EACH OTHER!”
 
“No promises baby!” Dee said laughing. He watched Ryo drove off.
 
“Be careful Ryo, come back to me tonight.” He said worriedly.
 
 
Ryo entered Antonelli's around 6:30. It was buzzing with clientele and it took Ryo a few minutes to find the familiar face of the Commissioner. It was casual Italian restaurant…but not too casual since he didn't notice anyone wearing a pair of jeans. This thought bothered him some what.
 
Finally his eyes met the piercing blue gaze of Commissioner Rose and he headed to the table holding the folder containing all the case details under his arm.
 
“Aw Detective.” Rose said sweetly as Ryo approached. “You're a little late I see.”
 
“Sorry sir.” Ryo said. “The traffic was terrible.”
 
He looked for the supposed third party that was supposed to be joining them.
 
“Where's the chief from the 15th?”
 
Rose smirked.
 
“Came and gone.” He said. “Just before you arrived, he got radioed about some crack in a recent case his precinct has been working on. He'll meet with me at a later time.”
 
“Oh.” Ryo said feeling a bit more uneasy as he fidgeted with the files.
 
Rose gazed at him. `God he's beautiful.' He thought dreamily. `To think all of that beauty wasted on a deadbeat like Laytner. How can he be in love with someone who has nothing to offer him? Dammit Ryo Maclean, you have no idea what I can give you if you were mine.'
 
“Sir?” Ryo's voice interrupted his train of thought.
 
“Hmph…ahem...yes Maclean?”
 
“Did you want to look at the case file?” Ryo asked. “I got the names of the former tenants in the apartment buildings like you wanted. Unfortunately, the autopsy hasn't come in yet.”
 
“Ah yes, the case, hand them over.” Rose said extending his hand. Ryo handed him the case file and again the felt the soft brushing of Ryo's fingertips against his palm. A shiver ran up his spine. If that was just how Ryo's fingers felt, he couldn't imagine what the rest of his skin would feel like in contact with Rose's, those pink lips caressing his lips, the midnight eyes staring deeply into his own…
 
“Sir?” Ryo interrupted again seeing as how Rose was just staring at the folder and not opening it.
 
Rose shook his head.
 
“Sorry, Maclean I zoned out there.” He said adjusting his glasses and opening the folder. “Long day…”
 
“Tiring day for all of us sir.” Ryo said quietly.
 
Rose eyed the white shirt of the waiter and motioned him over.
 
“While I read this, why don't you order something, you must be starving.”
 
Ryo blushed.
 
“With all due respect sir, I am not that hungry.” Ryo said. A lie Rose realized as he heard a sound that could have only been the growling of Ryo's empty stomach. Ryo blushed further and clutched his stomach.
 
“Right Maclean, stop being so modest.” He looked over at the patient waiter. “I'll have spaghetti marinara and a side salad.” He told the waiter. “My friend here will have the same and please bring us a bottle of your finest white wine.”
 
The waiter nodded, took the menus and left.
 
“Oh sir, you really didn't need to…”
 
“Calm down Ryo.” Rose said reading a paper from the folder. “You're too tense. You need to be wined and dined once in awhile.”
 
“But I'm driving tonight and…”
 
“And you think I am going to get you drunk, drag you out of here and have my way with you. Really Ryo, you give me too much credit.” Rose said sarcastically. “I would think you would know me better than that. I am a decent man believe it or not.”
 
“Sorry sir.” Ryo said playing with the napkin. He was sweating with nervousness and he really wanted to be home with Dee. The wine was brought over and Rose put the papers down and poured him a glass and one for Ryo. He then raised his glass.
 
“It may seem a little out of place for such a meeting, but there is a reason to toast. May this case be solved quickly and may your marriage to Laytner be lasting.”
 
Ryo raised his glass sheepishly.
 
“Yes sir, I hope so too.” He clinked his glass with Rose's and took a very little sip. Rose watched him carefully scanning his every move. Ryo hated it. He only hoped that this dinner would go soon enough.
 
`God Dee, I miss you.'
 
Back at the apartment Dee wasn't doing so well either. He had tried glancing at some wedding ideas on the internet, but the thought of Rose having his hands on his Ryo kept fogging his mind. He made himself a quick TV dinner to nibble on and then grabbing a beer plopped down in front of the TV. Unfortunately, even the TV was disagreeing with him. Everything he watched was about cheating lovers, even the sitcoms.
 
“DAMMIT!” Dee yelled throwing the remote after watching one of the characters from Sex and the City cheat on a lover.
 
Bikky poked his head out from his room.
 
“What's you're problem perv?” He asked annoyed.
 
“Nothing.” Dee mumbled.
 
“Yeah right, you're pissed off because Ryo's out with his boss and you're such a moron because your not there because you can't behave like a decent human being in a fancy restaurant.”
 
“When I want you're opinion I'll ask for it midget baboon!” Dee said walking back to the kitchen. “How did you know about that anyway?”
 
Bikky sighed.
 
“It was pretty obvious the way you were bitchin and moanin about how if Rose touches Ryo in anyway you'll kill him and that who does he think he is taking Ryo to some restaurant to discuss a case. You're just as loud as you are annoying!”
 
“Bite me.” Dee said as he stared out the window. “Shouldn't you be doing homework or something that brats like you SHOULD be doing besides butting in to other people's business.”
 
“Whatever!” Bikky yelled. “Just don't go breaking our TV over it, or Hell, break it and then do something useful and buy us a new plasma TV you lazy butt hunter!”
 
SLAM
 
Dee cringed.
 
“One of these days I will kill him.” He said running his hand through his ebony hair. He stared at the clock. It was going on hour two.
 
“Dammit Ryo, where are you?”
 
 
The dinner was good as was expected. It arrived a little late much to Ryo's chagrin because he really wanted to get home to Dee, but the place was packed. Ryo ate well as he couldn't fight off the continuous rumblings of his stomach. Rose smiled as the detective had eaten heartily, but kept his manners in check. Ryo sipped more water than he did wine, unlike Rose who did the opposite. Rose was feeling the effects of the wine, but had a clear enough head to read through the file carefully and thoroughly.
 
“Eh…still too many bumps in the road.” Rose said tossing the file on the table. “This culprit is too good, either a repeat offender or a newbie who did a lot of studying.”
 
“We are still investigating around Central Park.” Ryo said. “Detective Laytner and I believe it's actually the same suspect who has been the cause of the subway rapes, just this time moved on to higher ground.”
 
“Laytner, like he ever has a good idea.” Rose said aloud, but stopped himself when he saw the glare of Ryo's midnight eyes.
 
“I apologize for that detective.” Rose said trying to regain his composure. “The wine must have loosened my tongue a little, please continue.”
 
“That's really all there is to say.” Ryo said annoyed. “And with all due respect sir, Detective Laytner is a very good officer and I am not saying that on a personal level. He's work is highly commendable, a little reckless yes, but commendable nonetheless. He's dedicated to his job. You're wrong to mock him.”
 
Rose felt a pang in his heart as saw the look in Ryo's eyes as he talked about Dee. The look that he had seen in his office not too long ago when Dee had first announced their engagement. The little silver ring on Ryo's finger caught light again and shone in his eyes turning his head away.
 
“I should go.” Ryo said standing up. “Bikky and Dee will be expecting me.”
 
“Wait Ryo…” Berkeley said trying to get the detective to sit back down. He had relished in this time with Ryo and he didn't want it to end, he was so close. If this was his last chance…his very last chance to have a moment alone with Randy Maclean he was going to take it. But before he could continue Ryo interrupted.
 
“No, sir. I maybe part of the NYPD, but I also have a family that needs me too. Even the NYPD needs to be sacrificed once in awhile.”
 
Ryo was about to turn away when he saw Rose get up and then stumble a little as he tried to walk. He would have fallen face first had it not been for Ryo catching him.
 
“Sir?” Ryo asked worriedly. “Are you alright?”
 
“Ah yes I am fine detective.” Rose said once Ryo had helped him sit back down. He removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes. “Just got a bad headache all of a sudden. Must have been from the wine.”
 
Ryo looked at his superior concernedly.
 
“You did drink quite a bit.” Ryo said. “Did you drive over here?”
 
The commissioner nodded. “Don't worry about me detective, I'll be fine. You go home.”
 
Ryo knew better.
 
“You say that, but you don't look it.” Ryo said. “I'm going to drive you home. You are definitely in no shape to drive tonight. I am sure we can leave the car here for the night.”
 
“Ryo please, I don't want to argue.” Rose started, but Ryo motioned for the waiter to bring the check.
 
“Then don't.” He said with a smile. “Besides you're the one paying for the dinner anyway.”
 
Rose couldn't help but grin as he put his credit card into the check case.