Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Surrey Trouble ❯ Chapter 39 ( Chapter 38 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter or Gundam Wing.
We're into the home stretch! Ten chapters more tops, I think. Unless they decide to mutiny and keep writing themselves.
Warning! Character death!
Chapter 39
Harry knelt over Neville, forcing healing magic into his stomach trying to stop the bleeding. The two were concealed behind some debris but it wouldn't take long for them to be found.
“Go Harry.”
“No way I'm leaving you Neville. Luna'd kill me.” Harry tried to joke. Neville had lost his radio and Harry's had been shorted out by a near miss curse so they were on their own.
“You have to!” Neville began to cough and Harry paled as blood trickled out of his friends mouth.
“I won't make it and we both know it. Please Harry.” Harry closed his eyes and then nodded slowly, squeezing Neville's hand.
“I'll come back for you.” He promised and Neville smiled sadly.
“Tell Luna I love her.” Neville coughed again and Harry nodded.
“I'm glad we're friends. Now get out of here.” Harry helped him get comfortable, well as comfortable as he could be and then ran. He turned as he heard the triumphant cries of the Death Eaters as they found Neville, cries that turned to screams of terror before Harry was forced to drop to the ground as debris was flung into the air. When he stood again there was a small crater where he'd left Neville. He stood, staring in shocked grief before the sound of approaching Death Eaters forced him to turn and continue running. He paid no attention to the tears that flowed freely as he did so.
--------------------------
Harry held Luna as she cried into his torn and bloody shirt. The others stood around in various stages of shock and grief. Everyone had liked the softly spoken but courageous Wizard. Harry looked up and smiled in gratitude as his lover draped a blanket over them. A search party had been sent out a few hours ago to search for the bodies of their fallen but Harry didn't hold hope of there being anything recognisable left of Neville, the explosion had been to great.
“I'm so sorry Luna.” He whispered to the distraught Witch. She raised her head enough to look at him and managed a tearful smile.
“It wasn't your fault Harry, none of this is.” She reassured him softly. Harry looked down, he didn't agree. She sighed tiredly and re-buried her head in his chest, knowing he wasn't ready to listen to reason.
------------------------
Harry stood staring blankly ahead as the service continued. Luna was tucked into his side with Draco on her other side, an arm wrapped around her. Wufei held Harry's other hand in a comforting grip. Luna began to sob brokenly as the empty casket was lowered into the ground in the Longbottom family cemetery. Neville's grandmother stood with them, pale and grey with grief but she refused to cry in public. The old woman had taken a liking to Luna and had offered her a place at the house no matter what. Luna's things had already been moved into a nice room a few doors down from Neville's old room. Harry had just smiled and hushed her when she had tried to explain why she was moving, he understood. She couldn't stay in the place where she had so many memories of Neville and the war. This way Mrs. Longbottom had someone around to look after her and the two women could grieve together for the man both had loved in their own way. With Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy dead Draco had inherited everything and since his manor was nearby he had promised to keep an eye on the two and help out where they would let him. He and Blaise were moving in next week, after the search of the manor was finished and they were sure no Dark Arts objects were left. Both properties had been heavily warded by Gringotts and Harry so that not even Voldemort himself should be able to get in.
After the service they stood with Mrs. Longbottom and Luna as they accepted condolences from the others who had attended, old school friends and fellow fighters alike. Harry froze as the Weasley's plus Hermione approached. Seeing them Wufei tightened his grip on Harry's hand even as the four Weasley brothers closed ranks around them. Harry smiled at the four red-heads in thanks.
“How dare you!” Ron spat as soon as they were close enough.
“After everything I went through because of you!” Harry flinched slightly but it was enough for Wufei to notice and he pushed his lover behind him.
“Back off.” The Preventer Agent snarled.
“This is a funeral, show some respect.” Ron went to punch him only to find himself on the ground, a gun in his face. Hermione and Ginny screamed but Heero didn't waver.
“Leave now.” He stated flatly, blue eyes dead of emotion. These were the people that had hurt his little brother so badly with their betrayal, as far as he was concerned it would be shooting him for the sake of security. They knew a lot about Harry and had proven untrustworthy before.
“Ron, lets go.” Hermione urged but the redhead didn't move, still too shocked from how fast he'd been taken down.
“Ron get up.” Arthur Weasley said and finally Ron got up.
“Was it worth it?” Harry asked softly, needing to know.
“Was what you got worth betraying my trust? I thought you were my friends, I would have willingly died for you.” Hermione began to cry as she turned and fled but Ron just shot him a venomous glare that had Heero raising his gun again. Arthur just stared sadly before beginning to herd his family away. Ginny took one look at Harry and Wufei's joined hands and sneered in anger.
------------------------------
“You okay?” Wufei asked in concern as he watched Harry prepare for bed. The Wizard nodded but stayed silent and Wufei sighed. He stepped up behind him and wrapped him up in a hug. They stayed like that as Harry began to sob quietly. Once he was finished Wufei tucked them into bed, wrapping himself protectively around his lover.
“Why does it hurt so much? I've barely thought of them since meeting you so why can they still make me hurt?” Harry whispered quietly.
“Because you trusted them, you believed them when they said they were your friends. They aren't worth crying over Harry.” He felt Harry nod and hey lay quietly until they fell asleep.
-----------------------------------
Draco took a deep breath and slowly opened the door to what had been his mothers room. He slipped inside and closed the door behind him. This one of the few rooms that was untouched, Narcissa had been killed by Voldemort for refusing to say anything about her sons whereabouts, not that she had known anything. She may have been married to a Death Eater but she had never been one herself and she had cared about Draco in her own way as he had cared about her. He moved slowly through the room, lightly touching small trinkets placed here and there. It was only when he saw the photo in place of pride beside the bed that he broke down into tears and collapsed on her bed. It was a photo of the two of them together taken the summer before he started Hogwarts, they both looked so happy then. Draco started as he felt a gentle hand on his shoulder. He looked up to see Blaise's concerned face before he was pulled into a gentle embrace.
“It's okay Dray, it's okay.” Blaise held him as he cried for his mother and the life they should have had, one without his father's taint. Blaise stayed even after Draco had cried himself to sleep, happy to be able to be there for his friend as he had been there for him when he was recovering.
---------------------------------------
Everyone froze as a large black owl flew threw the window to settle in front of Harry. The Wizard had paled slightly and had draw his wand.
“Harry?” Quatre asked in concern at the emotions he could feel coming from his friend.
“Voldemort's owl.” His answer was enough to have more people draw weapons. The owl hooted impatiently and extended its leg.
“Don't touch it, levitate it.” Bill advised and Harry nodded. The group checked it for everything they could think of but the letter appeared clean so Harry opened it and read it.
“Well?” Duo asked, as impatient as ever.
“He wants to meet for one final battle, winner takes all.”
“It's a trap.” Several voices called at once. Harry smiled slightly.
“I'd figured. He even allows me to name the place and time to sweeten it. Question is, what do we do about it?”
“By allowing us to choose the time and place he is giving up an advantage therefore he must have something that he believes will negate that advantage.” Trowa pointed out.
“Yeah, but what?” Charlie asked.
“We already know he has some werewolves, vampires and giants but so do we. The Dementors have always sided with him so they're a given and the Dragons side with no one. What's left that could give him such an advantage?”
“It took a lot of time to find a way to make the mobile suits work around heavy magic, maybe he's found a way to neutralise that. Without the suites our troops would be a lot more vulnerable against his forces.” Heero pointed out.
“So do I accept and walk into a trap or decline and drag the war out for who knows how much longer?” Harry looked around as everyone fell silent.
-------------------------
Harry stood on top of the dune and took a deep breath of the desert air. He smiled softly, no matter what happened this place would now always be considered home, not England or Hogwarts but this desert. He watched as the moon slowly rose and the temperature began to drop but didn't move. He stared at the full moon and then there was a black wolf where he had been standing. The wolf raised his head and howled at the moon before taking off across the sand at a full run. He played and hunted for a few hours before heading back to the house, changing back just before he hit the wards. Harry looked down at his hands and then out again at the desert, still smiling. Ever so faintly he could hear the sound of another wolf howling in joy on the wind.
“Thank you Moony.” He whispered to the wind before slipping inside and heading back to his bed and lover.
-------------------------------
Harry stood tall as Voldemort approached. His gaze swept the forces aligned behind the Dark Lord as he weighed the odds. They were fairly evenly matched. Harry could feel the eyes of his friends and colleagues on him as he continued to stand and wait. Voldemort was impressive to see but so was Harry. Dressed in the battle robes of the Potter and Gryffindor families with Gryffindor's sword at his side, long dark hair braided tightly down his back he was at once the image of a warrior and lord.
“Harry.” Voldemort hissed.
“Tom. Let's get this over with shall we?” With that Harry moved, brining his sword up.
TBC...