Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Surrey Trouble ❯ Chapter 41 ( Chapter 40 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Still not mine.
 
Chapter 41
 
 
“Kill him.” Tom ordered and Harry could only stare in shocked horror as Wufei moved to obey.
 
Harry dodged as Wufei moved closer. The pilots may have trained him but Wufei was still by far a better martial artist and Harry knew he stood no chance against his lover in unarmed combat. At least Tom had unarmed Wufei so he didn't have to worry about getting into a sward fight or dodging bullets.
 
“What the hell are you two doing!” Harry winced at Heero's volume as the pilot's voice came over the small earpiece.
 
“Wufei… hit by Imperious.” Harry explained as he continued to dodge. If he were fresh he would stand a better chance but he was exhausted from the prolonged fight with Tom.
 
“Accio wand.” Harry tightened his grip but it was too late as Tom summoned the slender piece of Holly from him. He had nothing left when it came to his wandless abilities. He gave a pained cry as his lover landed a blow that cracked his ribs. Harry grabbed his wrist before the hand could be withdrawn and stared into familiar dark eyes but they were empty.
 
“Fei I know you can hear me. You have to fight it. I know it's warm and safe but it isn't real! Come on, you're as stubborn as I am!” Harry had to release him then to dodge a kick to the face. There was no response from Wufei as they continued to fight.
“If anyone has a wand or tranquilliser and is close knock Wufei out!” Harry called over the general channel, hoping someone was close enough to take Wufei out of the fight. Harry sheathed his sword, freeing his other hand as their fight became faster and more brutal. Harry held back the truly damaging hits, only wanting to knock Wufei out but his lover was going for the kill.
 
Wufei stared down at his lover, beaten and bleeding, on the ground and wanted to scream out his pain, to turn and kill the serpentine man behind them but his body refused to obey his commands. He had heard every word Harry had said to him as well as those of his fellow pilots trying to help but no matter how hard he tried he couldn't break the spell. He knew that if he succeeded and killed Harry then he would find someway to follow him as quickly as possible and hopefully take Tom with him.
 
“Take the knife and kill him.” He watched as his body turned to take the knife from Voldemort and then kneel beside Harry, Harry who couldn't stand due to his injuries and was smiling lovingly at him.
 
“I love you Wufei, never doubt it. This isn't your fault.” Harry whispered as the knife began its fall towards his heart. Wufei's scream finally broke free of his throat even as his world went black.
 
Harry lay still, Wufei's weight trapping him even if he could have moved, and stared in shock. He should be dead because even though Wufei had managed to scream his eyes had still been blank and his body controlled. He could just see Tom's shocked form nearby as he looked around and then he smiled and managed a pained nod at a familiar smirking blonde. Trust Malfoy to save him at the last second. The blond rushed over and slapped an emergency portkey to Wufei's chest and the pilot vanished.
 
“Thanks. Better get out of here though.” Harry struggled to stand but he could barely move.
 
“You too. We have to retreat.” Draco said, staring at Harry with concern showing in his grey eyes. Harry smiled and then shook his head.
 
“Help me up and then go, he won't just stand there for long.” Harry insisted and Draco gradually helped him to his feet.
 
“You're wand?”
 
“Needs a few dozen anti-summoning charms on it. I'll be fine, go. Watch Luna's back and don't get killed. I don't want to have to tell Blaise.” Draco took one last look at him before darting back into the fray. Harry straightened up and shot a menacing glare at his adversary.
“You know what's funny about all this?” Harry asked softly, turning his radio off.
 
“Do tell Potter.” Voldemort hissed. Harry smirked and let his hand drift towards his sword.
 
“If you had left me and the muggle world alone I would have left you and yours. As far as I was concerned the Wizarding world had earned whatever it got. But you couldn't let me live in peace and now it's come to this.” Harry indicated the battlefield around them. Both sides had taken heavy casualties but there were more from Harry's side standing than from Tom's. Tom let out a scream of rage and attacked. Harry simply stood and took it causing Tom to smirk in triumph. He moved closer to the weakened younger wizard as he continued to attack, knowing he had won but wanting to prolong Harry's death. Harry simply smiled and suddenly shifted. Tom screamed as a wolf the colour of the blackest night suddenly soared towards him and slammed into his chest, sending both to the ground. Strong jaws clamped onto his throat and tore the flesh free before the form shifted again to reveal a pale Harry Potter. He unsheathed the sword of Gryffindor and raised it with both hands, gathering magic into the blade before plunging it downwards and straight through Riddle's heart.
 
All combatants froze and watched a pillar of light erupt from where their commanders had been battling, their own battles forgotten.
 
“Harry!” Duo screamed and would have run to the light but his lover held him back. As the light gradually faded people from both sides warily approached only to find the charred remain of Tom Riddle. Of Harry Potter there was no sign.
 
Screams of agony suddenly spread as the remaining Death Eaters clutched their marks before slumping, dead, to the ground. A tired cheer went up, they had one but at what cost?
 
-----------------------------------
Heero collapsed on the small cot, utterly exhausted. He managed a grateful sigh as he felt Duo remove his boots and gun.
 
“No luck?” His lover asked quietly and Heero shut his eyes to hide his pain.
 
“Any word on Wufei?” He asked instead of answering, knowing that that in itself would be answer enough.
 
“They broke the curse, he's still sleeping though. Juri figured it would be better to keep him out until we knew one way or the other.”
 
“Trowa had to knock Quatre out, he was killing himself trying to find Harry.”
 
“Nothing?” Duo asked softly, tears shimmering in his eyes. Heero reached out and the violet-eyed pilot collapsed into his embrace.
 
“Nothing, no body, no sign, nothing.”
 
“He can't be gone, not again. Maybe he apparated and collapsed somewhere. We can't lose him again!” Heero held onto Duo as his lover sobbed, not noticing the tears that fell silently from his own eyes.
 
-----------------------------
“Wufei? Can I come in?” When no answer came Quatre pushed the door open and stepped inside cautiously. The Chinese pilot was sitting on the windowsill and staring vacantly out across the desert, his hair lose from its usual ponytail hung limply around his face.
 
“Why?” The hoarse croak had Quatre moving across the room to lay gentle hands on his friends' shoulders, trying to give comfort.
“Why Harry? It's not fair, he gave so much and now…”
 
“We don't know for sure. Duo's right, he may have apparated instinctively to save himself and simply be injured.”
 
“It's been two weeks Quatre, if he was that badly hurt then he's dead either way. We just wanted to live together in peace, was it too much to ask?” Wufei finally looked up and Quatre pulled him into a hug.
 
“No, no it wasn't. You two deserved it. After everything you've been through… I'm so sorry Wufei.”
 
“I think not having his body makes it worse. At least if…if I could see him one last time. To know that he's truly gone and never coming back then I could handle it. But there's nothing. Riddle's body left remains, why didn't Harry? I didn't even get the chance to tell him how much I love him, I tried but I couldn't fight that stupid curse enough to tell him.” Quatre stayed silent because he honestly didn't have an answer. No one knew why there appeared to be nothing left of Harry.
“Does Dumbledore know yet?” Wufei suddenly asked, pulling back from the hug.
 
“What? Um, no. Why?” Quatre asked, confused by the abrupt subject change.
 
“I want to be the one to tell him.” Wufei answered fiercely. Quatre nodded slowly, understanding.
 
“I'll arrange it with Lady Une. Get some sleep Wufei. Harry wouldn't want you to do this to yourself.”
 
----------------------
Wufei stood in front of the cell that his lover had helped design to hold one of the world's most powerful wizards although he supposed that with Harry and Vo0ldemort being dead the old man was the most powerful. Not that he cared. He stared blankly at the man as he finally noticed there was some one outside his cell.
 
“What do you want child? You're that muggle Harry is so enamoured of. Come to beg for my help with the war?”
 
“That won't be necessary. The war is over, Riddle and all his followers are dead.” Wufei stated flatly, barely able to look at the man. Blue eyes widened with shock and horror.
 
“What? All dead? Why were they not imprisoned?”
 
“All those who bore his mark followed Riddle into death.”
 
“So Harry did it, he fulfilled the prophecy.”
 
“And in doing so gave his life for us all.” Wufei told him coldly, trying to control his emotions at the mention of his dead lover. Before the final battle Bill had told him that Wizards were able to marry within the wizarding world and so now he clutched a small gold band in his pocket as he faced the remaining person who had made Harry's life hell.
 
“If he had done as I said.”
 
“He would have died in vain you imbecile!” Wufei roared, cutting him off. He took a deep breath, fingers trembling around the small band.
“You would have had him walking onto that field like a lamb to the slaughter. We trained him, cared for him and when the time came we stood at his back. You would have used him as a weapon and then killed or discarded him and taken all the glory and power for yourself. Well he's out of your reach now old man and you will live out the rest of your days in that cell.” Wufei turned to leave, fighting the tears that threatened to spill.
 
“And what was Harry to you?” Dumbledore asked softly.
 
“Everything.” Wufei whispered and then left, the ring clutched even harder in his hand.
 
------------------------------
Heero looked up at the clouds that threatened and couldn't help but think they were appropriate. He stood with his fellow pilots, their friends surrounding them as the graveside service continued. He gave a comforting smile as he felt Dou's fingers entwine with his. Even without a body it had taken a lot of work to keep the funeral semi-private. All those who had been close to Harry crammed into the family graveyard at Godric's Hollow. Keeping the press of both worlds away had been almost impossible but there were few people brave enough to face a truly pissed off Quatre and apparently none of them were members of the press. Harry's empty coffin was being laid to rest beside those of his parents and the two newer graves belonging to his godfathers.
 
Blaise had returned from L4 for the funeral and stood in the protective circle of Draco's arms amidst their Wizarding friends. The twins were unusually solemn but they would never think of being cheerful at the funeral of their financial sponsor and little brother. They and their older brothers were keeping a close watch on Luna as the Ravenclaw sobbed brokenly against Mrs. Longbottom. She had lost her fiancé and a close friend to close together to cope. Armando held Juri tightly as the young doctor cried for his most frequent and best behaved, when compared to the pilots, patient. Strangely enough the only dry eyes in the place belonged to Nasih who simply stared down at the empty grave.
 
They had, with a lot of help, managed to ensure that Harry wasn't awarded a ton of awards posthumously since they knew he would never have wanted them. Any who had known the quiet young man knew that he hated his fame and had wanted nothing more than to live out his days quietly with his friends and adopted family so they had done their best to honour as much of that as they could. Although he would be forever known as the one to fully expose his world to that of the muggles and begin the process of merging the two into one society.
 
No one was surprised that as soon as the funeral was done Wufei vanished home via portkey. With everything he and Harry had gone through this final and permanent separation was hitting him very hard. Quatre had confided to the others that he was worried about Wufei attempting to follow his lover and they had agreed to keep a close eye on him for now.
 
----------------------------
Wufei stumbled as he appeared in the entrance hall of the small safe house where he and Harry had shared their first kiss. Harry had made the portkey for him ages ago in case of emergency and he had never had a reason to use it until now. He slowly staggered up the stairs and into the room they had once shared, smiling at the sight of their beds still pushed together. He stumbled over and collapsed, exhausted, onto them and fell into a fitful sleep, unaware of the chaos his little trip was causing amongst the others when they failed to find him back at the mansion.
 
TBC…