Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Surrey Trouble ❯ Chapter 42 ( Chapter 41 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
 
Chapter 42
 
 
Wufei staggered down the stairs, still exhausted from the previous day, okay the previous few weeks. He knew Quatre would be having fits by now and that his lover would feed him to one of his `pets' for it but he simply didn't care. All he wanted was Harry back, safe in his arms and not lying on the couch surrounded by some sort of shield. Wait… Wufei froze before spinning around and sprinting over to the couch. He crouched down and one hand hovered uncertainly over the glowing…shield?
 
“Harry? Answer me love. Please Harry, open your eyes.” Wufei all but begged but there was no response to his pleas. Gathering his courage he placed his hand on the barrier and to his utter surprise and relief it collapsed. Shaking fingers reached down to touch Harry's neck and for the first time since the battle Wufei smiled. Beneath his fingers were warm skin and a slow but steady pulse. Reaching out with his other hand he swiftly checked Harry for injuries, finding none. Ever so slowly, fearing that he was dreaming, he gathered Harry into his arms and buried his face in his unbound hair, inhaling the wizards' unique scent. He froze as he felt something and then smiled as he realised Harry had let out a very low groan.
“ Harry? Come on Harry wake up. It's okay you won. It's over, we're safe. Please open your eyes.” This time he felt Harry's hand twitch ever so slightly and he grasped it, squeezing gently to let Harry know he wasn't alone.
 
“Mmmmm.” Wufei smiled at the louder noise and the fact that Harry had moved his head slightly.
 
“That's it love, come back to me.” He adjusted their position so that he was sitting fully on the couch with Harry cradled sideways on his lap, letting him look down on the wizard as he continued to try and wake up. He smiled as Harry's eyelids began to flutter and then slowly open. Harry blinked up at him in confusion before stiffening and trying to pull away.
“Harry it's okay, we're safe love. You did it Harry, you killed Riddle. I'm so sorry.” Wufei tightened his embrace, raising Harry in his arm and softly kissing him. Harry remained tense as he kissed him before suddenly relaxing and kissing him back.
 
“Fei.” Harry breathed as he pulled back. A smile spread across Harry's face as he looked up at his lover. He let Wufei pull him even closer and wrapped his arms around the pilot.
“Shhh. It's okay, I'm here.” He soothed as he felt Wufei's body shake with suppressed sobs. He was utterly exhausted and quite frankly moving hurt like nothing else but he pushed all of that aside to comfort his lover.
“It's okay, I'm not leaving you.” Harry whispered and Wufei raised his head.
 
“But you did. It's been a month Harry. We held your funeral yesterday. I thought I'd never see you again.” Harry stared at him in shock. A month? What had happened? The last thing he remembered clearly was Wufei attacking him but the other was clearly no longer under the spells control.
 
“What happened? Last thing I really remember is you...well.” Harry shrugged and Wufei nodded.
 
“Apparently Draco stunned me and then slapped an emergency portkey on me. You and Riddle fought again, no one really saw what happened and then there was a pillar of light. When it was gone all that was there were Riddle's remains, there was no sign of you. They kept me sedated for a while, not wanting me to run off looking for you apparently. They sent search parties everywhere and your picture was all over the press but after three weeks they declared you dead. We held your funeral yesterday, Quatre managed to discourage the press from getting too close.” They exchanged smiles at that.
“You got a few awards posthumously, no where near as many as they wanted to give you. The service was nice; they buried an empty coffin beside your parents and next to Sirius. I didn't stick around after, portkeyed here using the one you gave me a while ago. Managed to make it to our room before collapsing. If I'd been paying more attention I would have found you last night. There was some sort of weird energy shield around you, it collapsed as soon as I touched it though.” Wufei fell silent and they snuggled together on the couch, both falling into a light doze.
 
--------------------------------------
Trowa watched his lover pace. He was just as worried as the blonde; he just didn't show it the same way. No one had seen Wufei since he had vanished via portkey from the funeral and they were all worried he had done something foolish. It was hard enough that they had just lost Harry but if they lost Wufei as well… He really didn't want to think about that. He looked up as the others came in.
 
“No luck.” Duo stated glumly and Quatre sagged. Trowa stood and walked over to the blonde, wrapping him in his arms.
 
“We'll find him.” He stated calmly and Quatre nodded slowly.
 
---------------------------------
Wufei stirred sleepily, opening his eyes slowly and then looking at the warm body he held closely. He smiled and pulled Harry even closer, earning a sleeping murmur as Harry burrowed closer to him. He was perfectly content to remain as they were forever but he knew they couldn't. For one the others were probably utterly frantic by now and secondly, they needed to know that Harry was alive and well, if tired. That said he gently set about waking his lover, something that proved to be rather difficult and ended up leaving him with a rather grumpy wizard on his hands.
 
“Do you really want to leave the others thinking you're dead any longer than necessary?” Wufei finally asked and Harry sighed, giving in. They untangled themselves and got up from the couch, Wufei having to catch Harry as he collapsed, dizzy.
“Considering you haven't eaten anything or had any water for a month you're lucky to be in such good shape.” He commented, earning an annoyed look before he simply lifted Harry into his arms and carried him into the kitchen. Luckily the kitchen was still stocked with some long lasting food and he was able to put together a nutritious but easily digested meal for them.
 
“How is everybody?” Harry asked as he ate.
 
“Luna is distraught. Losing Neville and then you… The others have been dealing in their own ways. Heero's been very trigger-happy while Maxwell has been more manic than usual. Quatre's been very quiet and clinging to Trowa when he's not yelling at various officials over the plans for merging the two societies. Trowa's silent as ever and Quatre's rock. But he misses you as well. The twins have been unusually quiet and I don't know wether or not that should scare me. Blaise came back from L4 for your funeral and is sticking with Draco. Everyone has missed you.”
 
“Guess they'll be happy to see me.” Harry stated quietly but Wufei glanced at him sharply.
 
“Yes, they'll be ecstatic to see Harry. The boy-who-lived can get lost though.” Harry's head jerked up and he stared at Wufei for a few seconds before smiling and nodding.
“I'm going to check if the phone is still connected. If it is I'll call the mansion, if not we'll have to find the nearest military installation and ask for help.” Harry nodded and watched as Wufei walked over to the phone.
 
-------------------------------
Duo had slipped away from the others a while ago. He needed to be on his own for a while. He sat against the wall, hugging his knees to his chest and stared at the large bed where two of his closest friends had once slept. Hearing the ruffle of feathers he looked up to see the phoenix, Fawkes, watching him.
 
“Hello boy. Bet you miss Harry too, don't you?” The bird flew down to land on his knees and sang briefly. Duo couldn't help but smile, wiping tears from his eyes as he stroked the crimson feathers. For the first time since he'd seen that weird pillar of light Duo felt hope take root in his heart though he didn't know why. He started as the phone suddenly rang but stood and picked up the extension that sat on the bedside table.
“Winner estate, Duo Maxwell speaking.” He said politely, he didn't want to think what Quatre would do to him if he were rude.
 
“Maxwell.”
 
“Fei! Where are you? Are you okay? Don't do anything stupid. I'll come get you or you can come back here.” Duo babbled.
 
“Maxwell shut up! I'm fine and I'm not planning to do anything stupid. I'm pretty sure Harry would hex me if I did.”
 
“Um, Wufei Harry can't hex you…” Duo trailed off, had Wufei lost it?
 
“Considering he's sitting at the table across from me I'd say he could. We're at the house we used at Surrey, mind sending us a lift?”
 
“Harry…” Duo stared at the wall in shock, hearing vague words over the line before the phone was fumbled a bit.
 
“Hey Duo.” He dropped the phone at the sound of a voice he thought he'd never hear again before dropping to his knees and scrambling to pick it up again.
 
“Ha…Harry?!” He gasped.
 
“Yeah, I'm alive. Don't suppose you could do as Fei asked and send us some transport. I'm not up to apparating or making a portkey yet.”
 
“You're hurt?”
 
“No, just tired.” Duo relaxed a bit as Harry reassured him.
 
“It's great hearing your voice Harry. I…just get back here all right?” Harry laughed at Duo.
 
“Glad to as soon as you arrange transport. Give someone the houses coordinates and have them make us a portkey or something. Oh, and stay away from Fei, he doesn't seem too impressed that you thought he was crazy.”
 
“Oops?” Harry laughed again.
 
“See you soon Duo.”
 
“Later Harry. I better go hide so I don't end in little pieces from your boyfriends' katana.” With that they hung up and Duo simply sat, staring at the phone. He turned his head at the sound of a smug trill to see a very proud looking phoenix.
“So that's what you were trying to tell me huh? Glad you didn't loose faith in him.” With that Duo took off at a dead run through the house, looking for Armando or Bill. He skidded into the living room and grinned at the others.
“Fei just called, he's at the safe house we used after Surrey, wants a portkey back.” Duo explained, grinning as they all relaxed at hearing the missing pilot was alive and looking to come home. Only Heero knew there was something more to his lovers' smile but the braided man just grinned and shook his heads when he looked at him.
 
TBC…