Fan Fiction ❯ 15 Honeydew Lane ❯ Meet the pets ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 2 - Meet the pets
 
Once outside, they were both in their coats and slid into the back seats of the car. “Is everyone ready?” asked Rob.
 
“Ready.” the kids and Heather replied. At that moment, they heard a squeaking sound and Lucy meowing.
 
“Oh I forgot to put Leon in my room.” Nicolai said. Sure enough, when he bent over, he saw Leon in his cage wide awake and squeaking.
 
“I forgot to put Lucy in the backyard.” Heather said. They undid their seatbelts, with Heather going into the back seat and picking up Lucy's carrier and Nicolai also grabbing Leon's cage.

While Nicolai went to take his mouse to his room, Heather went to the backyard and carefully set it down, and let Lucy out. A minute later they returned to the car and buckled up their seat belts again. “Ok, is everyone ready now?” Rob asked again
 
“Ready.” said everyone answered again. Rob started the car and drove off. Meanwhile, Edgar had come down from Nicolai's room and into the living room, looking out the window as the car drove off down the street. He quickly raced on all fours up the stairs back into Nicolai's room.
 
Leon's cage lay on a small dresser, with a curved step stool on the left. The little mouse looked in his food dish, and saw there was only one little piece of cheese. He picked it up, and took a bite. His eyes then shot wide open and spit it out.
 
“Yuck!” Leon exclaimed in disgust. This is stale. I hope I get fresh food when the master comes back.”
 
“I'm sure that's true Leon, just be patient” said Edgar looking up at the cage. Moving is a very hard and tiring process and even the most reliable people can get a little absent minded.”

“You're probably right Edgar, but I'm really hungry.” Leon said.
 
“Then I guess we'll have to find you some food.” Edgar said and hopped on his forepaws onto the dresser where the cage was. Using his teeth, he carefully pulled up the screw and Leon was able to push open the cage door. With that, he hopped onto Edgar's back.
 
"To the kitchen Edgar!" Leon shouted in his best Braveheart voice, hanging tight to Edgar's fur as the dog charged from the room. By this time Lucy, Heather's cat, was sitting in the backyard garden admiring the sweet smelling sunflowers.
 
“Ah, these wonderful flowers make me think of a new poem,” As she thought over the words she noticed a little ladybug flying by, and watched as it landed on a petal of a sunflower.
 
“Ooh!” yowled Lucy in frustration, “I need to start writing down these gems of poetry, but I never have a pad and pencil when I need it. I need to find some now. With this thought in mind, she trotted to the side porch and went through the pet door.
 
Meanwhile, The Fischer family pulled into the Highland Diner, a restaurant a few blocks always from their new home. “This is it,” said Rob to his family, “The Highland Diner.” Everyone unbuckled their seat belts and got out of the car.
 
Once inside they could smell the delicious aromas of food, and see a live band in the balcony playing a jazzy salsa beat. As they looked around they saw booths and tables filled with people enjoying their food, and the warmth of the eclectic style gave a nice casual elegance.
 
Right then, a large kangaroo hopped over, making Nicolai very nervous. “Hello! I'm Rory, I'll be your waiter for today.” said the kangaroo. While Heather, Rob, and Nicolai were too shocked for words, Vinola was surprisingly calm.
 
“A table for four please, non smoking.” Vinola said with everyone else giving a shy nod.
 
“All right, please follow me,” Rory replied and they all followed him to a nice booth by the window. “I'll get you some water to start while you decide to order.” Rory said and hopped off to the kitchen.
 
“How did you know about smoking and non smoking?” Nicolai asked.
 
I saw that on T.V once,” said Vinola opening her menu, “besides it's hard to miss those commercials.”
 
“Also, was that kangaroo just talking to us?” Nicolai asked.
 
“It sure looked that way to me.” Vinola said.
 
“It's probably a costume for publicity.” Rob said, opening his menu.
 
“I'm not sure honey; if it is a costume it's the most realistic I've seen, but something tells me it's a real kangaroo.” Heather said in a worried voice.

“Let's not think about that now, replied Rob, “let's just see what there is to order,”
 
“I think I'll have the big kid's lunch special.” Nicolai said.

“That sounds like a good choice; they sure have a lot of nice dishes. They even have nutrition tags to let you know you the amount of calories and ingredients. Now I'll have no excuse to break off my nutrition plan.” Heather said.

“I think I'll have the strawberry shortcake and some apple juice.” Vinola said finding the picture of the dessert irresistible.
 
“You can have the juice, but you have to have a real meal before you eat any dessert,” said Rob firmly. Why don't you have the grilled chicken with mushrooms?”

“All right, and then can I have the strawberry shortcake?” asked Vinola. “No problem, Vinola.” Rob replied. They looked up as Rory returned with their water.
 
“There you are, is everyone ready to order?” Rory asked, with a pencil and notepad in hand. “Yes, my son will have the big kid's special; my wife would like to have the lobster roll and a glass of lemonade. My daughter will have the grilled chicken with mushrooms. Lastly I'll have the mixed melon salad and an iced tea.” said Rob.
 
“Don't forget dessert, Daddy.” said Vinola.
 
“Oh yes, and a piece of strawberry shortcake, and three chocolate chip cookies for after the meal.” said Rob.

“Ok, it'll all be ready soon.” Rory said and hopped away to the kitchen. As they waited for their order Nicolai couldn't help but overhear a conversation at the booth beside them on the left between what looked to be a lady hippo and lady coyote wearing a straw sunhat.

“So I'm in the middle of my skim milk latte when I get a call on my cell from Edward's playgroup,” began the lady coyote.

“Mrs. Bishop, the playgroup leader, said that Edward was having problems sleeping at naptime. I never had problems during Edward's naps, so as I explained my little tricks for helping him sleep easier.”
 
The coyote sipped her coffee and then said, “I opened the freezer to see if I have enough peas for my chicken and rice dinner when I saw that my husband's secret stash of coffee ice cream had been opened and Edward's favorite green spoon was inside.”

“Wow! Talk about serious caffeine intake girl.” the hippo chuckled.
 
“I know, and so with that mystery solved I explained to Mrs. Bishop that rubbing his tummy would help and sure enough, he goes to sleep peacefully. I'll remember to tell his father to keep the coffee ice cream somewhere where Edward can't reach.”

“Good idea sweetie, after all they give us enough energy as it is. Anymore, and we wouldn't get any sleep.” Both the hippo and the coyote laughed, Nicolai wasn't sure if he could believe what he was seeing. “What is this, masquerade day?” he thought.
 
Meanwhile, back the Fischer's new residence, Edgar with Leon on his back entered the kitchen. “Wow, it's much bigger than our old kitchen. Then again at my height, anything for humans is spacious to me.,” said Leon, looking around.
 
“Well you're right Leon, it is much larger,” Edgar replied, “It even has a place you can eat right in kitchen, just like our old country cottage.”
 
Edgar then caught a whiff of a delicious aroma. “I think I smell some nuts and cheese on the counter,” said Edgar.
 
“Oh good, I'll bet that's the cheese balls and dish of cashews Mrs. Fischer made for Nicolai's snack later.” Leon said. Edgar went over to the counter and hopped his forepaws onto it; Leon then climbed up Edgar's back and onto the counter. He then saw the plate of cheese balls on the microwave and scrambled right up to them.

“Don't eat them all Leon,” Edgar said cautiously “They are for Nicolai's snack time after all.”
 
“Of course not, I just need one.” Leon said and took a big bite into one of the cheese balls
 
“How's it taste?” asked Edgar.
 
“Oh, she made goat cheese balls, one my absolute favorites,” Leon said. “Here Edgar, try one.” The little mouse pushed a cheese ball off the plate, rolled off the counter; Edgar balanced it on his nose before popping it in his mouth.
 
Lucy now with a pencil and notepad carefully in her mouth came into the kitchen when she saw Edgar and Leon at the counter. She spit the notepad and pencil out of her mouth and asked, “What are you guys up to?” she asked.
 
“Oh nothing, Leon said with his mouth full “just getting a little snack. Right, Edgar?”
 
Edgar quickly swallowed the rest of the cheese ball, and felt a tad red in the face. “Yes, of course.” he replied.
 
So what brings you inside Lucy? You seemed content in the garden.” Leon said, quickly steering the topic away from him and Edgar.

“I am,” she said a tad annoyed. “It's just that I came up with this really great poem. I had to write it down but I had nothing to write on so I came inside for a pencil and notepad.”
 
Lucy was so concentrated on getting back to her poetry; she didn't think to ask about the plate of cheese balls. She then put the notepad and pencil back in her mouth, quickly zipped through the pet flap and into the backyard.
 
Leon and Edgar drew a sigh of relief and decided that one cheese ball between them was enough. Back at the Highland Diner, everyone was enjoying their lunch and started to converse.
 
“You know Rob, while we were driving here I read about this nice mountain resort just north of the city. I thought it'd make a nice family vacation one day.” Heather said and took a sip of her lemonade.

“That's sounds good, we should look into it, what do you think kids?” Rob asked.
 
“Yeah I guess.” Nicolai said.
 
“Do they have sledding and snowboarding?” Vinola asked.

“I'm sure they have some runs you can sled down, but I think you're still too young for snowboarding.” Heather said.
 
“Aw mom, I've got to learn sometime. The earlier I start the better chance I'll have competing in the Fusion Snow-off.”
 
Fusion Snow-off?” said Nicolai asked, looking puzzled.

“It's a contest I heard about from some kids at the park back in Birchwood, snowboarders from all over the world come to compete for the title of Fusion King or Queen of the year.”

“Oh yeah, I've heard of that contest. One of my friends told me about it, but Vina you have to be at least seven to enter.” Nicolai said.
 
“I know which is why I want to start practicing now,” said Vinola, “so that by next year I can compete.
 
Well I think it's a fine idea sweetheart, but I think its best you wait until you're older. Snowboarding takes lots of practice and it can be dangerous.” Rob said.

“Oh dad!” Vinola then let out a sigh, “all right.” she said a tad grumpy. Once everyone had finished lunch, they decided to take their desserts to go and started to make the drive back home.
 
“Hey look kids, there's your new school.” Rob said.
 
Nicolai and Vinola look to the right of them to see a very large building. “That's our school?” asked Nicolai. It looks more like the picture of you and grandma in front of your college." Their mother and father laughed.

“That's probably because this school was built a long time ago when architects gave all schools a more elaborate design that you find today at most colleges.” Heather explained.
Back at the Fischer house, Edgar and Leon were exploring the wonders of the master bedroom. Leon had cranked the air conditioning up to eight, and he as well as Edgar lay their backs comfortably on the queen size bed. “Ah, this is the life, isn't it Edgar?” Leon asked.

“Yes indeed,” Edgar said, glancing at his friend, “but you know what would make this perfect?”
 
“What?” Leon asked
 
“If we could tune into: The Adventuresof Terence and Bud: Dog and mouse detectives on the radio.”

“Oh yes, you're right. It should be coming on soon.” Leon looked around the bedroom to see if there was a radio, noticing a tiny radio on the nightstand to the left of Leon. The little mouse then scampered off the bed, and on to the nightstand; he pushed up the radio switch and moved the dial back and forth till he found the right station.
 
“Stop there!” Edgar exclaimed
 
“And now Millwood Oats proudly brings you: The Adventures of Terence and Bud: Dog and mouse detectives. Today's episode, The Blueberry Pie Caper.” said the station's announcer.
 
“Oh good, it's starting.” Leon said and returned to his spot on the bed and together with Edgar, quietly listened in. By this time, the Fischer's had pulled up in the driveway full from a nice lunch and ready to continue their unpacking. Edgar could hear all of this with his sensitive hearing.
 
“Leon! The family's back” Edgar exclaimed, “we better get back to our places.”
 
“Oh peppermint sticks!” Leon grumbled, “It just got started.” “Nicolai has a radio in his room, now hurry.” Edgar leaped down off the bed. Leon scampered down and climbed up onto his back.

Edgar could hear the family downstairs entering inside and quickly raced out of the master bedroom, kicking the door closed with his hind feet. “I'm going to my room to unpack some more,” said Nicolai from downstairs.

“The master's coming,” said the little mouse in panic. “You'd better hurry!”
 
“I know we're almost there!” Edgar assured as they raced into Nicolai's room. Leon raced back in his cage, and slid the lock back in place, and Edgar just hopped back on the bed just as Nicolai himself walked in.

“Hi guys, you're so not going to believe what happened at lunch.” Nicolai started as he went to his writing desk in front of the window. “Dad took us to this local diner, and there was the waiter in some kind of kangaroo suit who took our order. We weren't sure if it was a theme or something going on but it sure was strange.”
 
Nicolai got out a book with a red leather cover. “I'm going to write this is my adventure journal.” he said and opened it to a blank page, took out a pencil from his pencil box and started to write.
Dear Journal, this is Nicolai signing in. We just moved into our new house today, and already something interesting has happened. We went to the local diner for lunch since our kitchen is not ready to cook in yet, and some waiter dressed in a kangaroo suit took our order. I wasn't sure if it was a theme or something, but we were too stunned to ask. Vina thinks it was a real kangaroo, but that would be impossible, wouldn't it? Though I'll admit that costume was very realistic, the ladies in the booth beside us were wearing costumes also. Edgar and Leon seem to be adjusting to the new place well.

Nicolai looked out the window and saw Lucy prancing around the flower garden in the backyard.
Lucy seems delighted about the backyard and Vina definitely likes it here. I'm a little worried about fitting in at my new school but I'm sure it'll be fine.
Nicolai put his pencil down and turned to notice that Leon's food dish was empty. “Oh I forgot to feed Leon. I better get him something." Nicolai raced out of his room downstairs to the kitchen. After sifting through boxes of food that hadn't been put on the shelves he found a box of sunflower seeds.

He went back to his room to hear the radio on his writing desk turned on. “We'll return to
Terence and Bud: Dog and mouse detectives after a word from our sponsors,” said the announcer's voice.
 
“Funny, I don't remember turning the radio on.” Nicolai said to himself as he opened the door to Leon's cage. He opened the box of sunflower seeds and poured them into Leon's food dish.
 
“Well, I haven't tuned into this show for awhile.” Nicolai said. Leon was happy that Nicolai had fed him, the cheese ball he ate earlier hadn't lasted as long he hoped and it's always good to have a snack handy for a radio show, especially a mystery.
 
Nicolai sat at his writing desk as the ad on the radio ended. “We now return to Terence and Bud:Dog and mouse detectives,” said the announcer's voice. Nicolai, Leon, and Edgar eagerly listened in as the announcer recapped what happened in the last act.
Later that afternoon, Nicolai sat at his bedside and looked through his box of special things. Just then, there was a knock at the door. “Who is it?” asked Nicolai.
 
“It's Mom, can I come in?” Heather asked.
 
“Sure.” replied Nicolai and the door slowly opened. Heather came in holding a vase with Nicolai's bouquet inside.
 
“I put your flowers in water for you, where should I put them?” asked Heather.
 
“By the desk would nice,” said Nicolai. His Mother then placed the vase on the desk next to the window and by a small group of books. “Mom can I ask you something?”
 
“Sure, what is it?”
 
“Do you think my old friends and I will loose touch now that I've moved away?”
 
“I don't think so Nicolai, just because you aren't in the same town anymore, you can still be friends. You can talk on the phone, write letters; e-mail. Not to mention lots of visits with each other.”
 
“I know, but it's not that same. I'd like to have some good friends here, but I'm afraid I won't fit in.” Nicolai said. Heather then sat down on the bed by her son and put her arms around him.
 
“I know honey, but it'll get better I promise. These things just take time that's all.” As he felt his Mother's arms around him, Nicolai felt a bit better.