Fan Fiction ❯ 15 Honeydew Lane ❯ From Country to City ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 1 - From country to city
 
Nicolai Fischer, a boy of ten and a half, had a dazed look on his face. As he looked out the window of the family car, his black hair blew in the wind as the car sped down the road passing by the beautiful countryside. In his arms he held a bouquet of tulips and daisies tied with a red ribbon, and also a vermillion book, both given to him by his old friends. Next to the Nicolai his little sister Vinola, a girl of six years old, who was sound asleep, dressed in a blue and white pinafore dress.
 
“Are we on the right road, Heather?” his Dad Rob asked as his wife looked at the map.
 
“Yes Rob,” his Mom Heather replied, “just one more turnoff here and we'll be there in a few minutes.”
 
Nicolai looked out the window to see the countryside fade farther and farther away. He sighed regrettably and slumped back into his seat. “Mom, why do we have to move?”
Nicolai asked, “I thought we were happy in Birchwood?”
 
“Nicolai, I know it's tough but it won't be so bad moving to a new place,” said his Mom, still focusing on the map, “after we get settled you'll make new friends.”
 
“But that could take all year,” Nicolai said moaning, “Besides I miss my old friends, and my cousins, too.”
 
“You'll see them again soon,” Rob said, “after were settled in, we'll have a party and everyone will come to visit.”
 
“Why don't you read your new book that your friends gave you? That might cheer you up, and try not to wake your sister,” said Rob still focused on the road.
 
So Nicolai placed the bouquet of flowers down beside him, opened the vermillion book, and quietly read from it. Soon after, they rode to the final turn off and saw the city in front of them. After crossing over a bridge, they drove pass a large sign that read “Welcome to Highland City”.
 
After an hour, Nicolai took a break from the book and wrote in a little notepad.
 
Usually when summer vacation rolls around, most kids would be playing the in sprinklers, going to beach or on trips to far off lands. But not I, Nicolai Fischer, for today my family and I are moving.
 
So here I am, in the old family car counting the hours till we reach the city as the countryside is further behind us, my Dad at the wheel. Mom is navigating, and my little sister Vinola, is fast asleep. I can't sleep even though we've been on the road for hours. I know my parent's new jobs are important, but I wish we didn't have to move.
 
I just hope I'll make new friends here someday.
 
“I'll write this in my journal when we get our new house.” Nicolai said to himself and laid his notebook aside. Staring out the window, his coal black eyes watched as the scenery changed; rolling farmland and bumpy green hills drifted behind them, which then gave way to the brick and steel of city streets.
 
Finally, after a few unnecessary turns and one scenic route, Rob parked the car in front on a quaint country home.
 
Heather leaned into the back seat. She grabbed Vinola's shoulder, gently shaking it. "What," Vinola grumbled sleepily.
 
"We're here," Rob said, "fifteen Honeydew Lane, after all this time it's finally ours!"
 
Everyone got out of the car, Heather carried her daughter in her arms.
 
Vinola slowly awoke from her nap. “Are we there yet?” she asked her mother.
 
“Yes Vinola, we're here.” her mother replied.
 
“We're here Fischer family,” said Rob. “15 Honeydew Lane. After all the work, it's finally all ours.”
 
“Nicolai, could you take that box to your room?” asked Heather, “it's up the stairs, first door on the right.”

“All right Mom, can you make a snack for later?” Nicolai asked.
 
“Sure, I'll call you when it's ready. I'll put your flowers in water.”
 
Nicolai picked up the box and took it inside, he looked around to see furniture scattered about in awkward places and boxes yet to be unpacked as he made his way up the stairs.
 
Once at the first doorway on the right, he saw a wood plank sign that read Nicolai's Place. “Well, at least that's the same.” Nicolai thought as he went inside. The room was huge, a lot larger than his old room. The smell of fresh paint assaulted his senses as he used his toe to push the door open.
 
Ignoring the heady scent, he walked to the closet. He dropped the box on the floor with a heavy thud, narrowly missing his toe.
He rooted through the box, pushing aside gym shoes, his kite, a chest of marbles, his book collection, his harmonica, until he came to his jacket, the one with the hand sewn angel wing on the left sleeve. As he was hanging his jacket on the back of the closet door something scratched on the bedroom door.
Nearly tripping over his feet in his haste, Nicolai threw open the door, admitting Edgar, his gray and white Schnauzer. He laughed as the dog trotted across the room and promptly leapt on the bed. He grinned toothily at Nicolai. Nicolai then sat beside him; he wrapped his arm around the dog's neck, burying his face in the dog's soft fur.  “I wish I could adjust as well as you do.”
Heather came upstairs with a suitcase filled with clothes, when she overheard Nicolai in his room and stopped outside the Nicolai's room to listen.
“It's not that I hate this house it's just I miss my old house and my old friends. I don't know if I'll fit in here,” Nicolai said as his hands stroking Edgar's fur, “I've lived in the country all my life. My school was okay, and our backyard was beautiful. Vinola and I were born, and it's where I got you from the shelter. It was home, and this place doesn't feel like home.”
 
Heather felt heavy-hearted about how her son felt about moving, but didn't know what she could say to him and left for her bedroom without looking back.
 
Later that morning, Nicolai had finished putting away all his things away in their proper place, Edgar lay comfortably on an old patchwork rug by the foot of the bed, content and quiet.
 
As Nicolai sat at his bedside looking through his box of special things, he thought of his old friends. “Katie, Cousin Levi, I will really miss them.” Nicolai said to himself.
 
Just then Vinola flung the door opened and came inside, “Mom says we're going out for lunch, and to bring your coat,” she said.
 
“All right.” replied Nicolai and climbed off the bed, “while we're gone, you keep our new home safe, all right Edgar?” who replied with a soft bark. Nicolai grabbed his coat off the hook by the door, and together with his sister they headed downstairs.