Fan Fiction ❯ 15 Honeydew Lane ❯ Trey ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
Chapter 5 - Trey
 
Nicolai was nervous seeing him so up close as opposed to watching him on the basketball court from a distance. “Are you all right?” he asked in fright.
 
“I think so,” said the alligator. Nicolai wanted to help but felt too nervous to move. Edgar realized this and lightly pulled his master along on the leash, with that nudge Nicolai felt a bit braver and carefully brought the alligator to his feet.
 
He then brushed the dirt and pebbles of his jersey and propped his bike up. “Thanks, I guess I should've slowed down when I saw that crack in the sidewalk. Luckily my scales keep me protected.”
 
Nicolai wanted to say something before he left but was losing nerve again. “Come on, get a hold of yourself and say something already.” he thought.
 
“Hey I remember you now,” said the alligator “You were at the park watching the basketball game.”
 
“Yes, that's right,” Nicolai nervously held out his hand. “…I'm Nicolai, Nicolai Fischer” he stuttered.
 
The alligator quickly shook his hand. “I'm Trey. So I take it you're new here.”
 
“Yeah, how did you know?” Nicolai asked
 
“Well, seeing as how no one's lived in that house for ages, I figured you just moved in.”
 
“That's right, just yesterday.” Just then Nicolai's stomach rumbled.
 
“Sounds like someone's hungry. I'm just on my way to my track team practice. Would you like to come with me?” At first Nicolai didn't know how to answer, then took a deep breath and cleared his mind a bit.
 
“Sure, that sounds cool. But can we get a snack on the way?” he asked.
 
“Of course and since you're new it'll be my treat.” So Nicolai, Edgar, and Trey set out for a snack, and then to Trey's track team practice. At that point Rob, Heather, and Vinola had returned home from shopping.
 
As they got out of the car, Vinola was the first to notice Nicolai walking with Trey. “Who's that Nicolai's with, Mommy?” she asked
 
“I'm not sure Vina. I haven't seen any kids around since we got here.” Heather said
 
“Maybe he met a friend when he went out walking.” Rob said as he brought the heaviest groceries inside.
 
“I'm so glad. I hope he brings him back so we can meet him.” Heather said. Trey, Nicolai, and Edgar were now deep in the city, as they walked they got to talking.
 
“So Trey, how long have you lived here?” Nicolai asked
 
“Well my Mom and Dad originally lived in the Florida Keys, but moved here after I was born.”
 
“Your Mom and Dad lived in the Florida Keys.” Nicolai said amazed.
 
“Where did you use to live, Nicolai?” asked Trey
 
“In the country, we had a nice house, big backyard, and you could see the beach from there.”
 
“That sounds nice, you must miss it.”
 
“I do, but I like it here in Highland city too, there's so much to see.”
 
“You bet. I know this neighborhood like the back of my scales. So seeing as how you're new and all its only right that I take you to some of the best foods this city has to offer. After a little more walking, they stopped at a small building.
 
“This is it, David's Carnival. They have snacks, food, and drinks to suit any taste.” Nicolai could smell the delicious foods from inside. He then wondered what he'd do with Edgar before going inside. “Is there somewhere I can put Edgar while we go in?” he asked Trey. “Oh he can come inside with us. Most places in the city allow pets.”
 
Both Nicolai and Edgar were pleased to hear that, too many times Nicolai could recall having to leave Edgar at home or outside tied to something when he lived back in the country. After chaining up his bike, and leaving his helmet on the seat. Trey opened the door and a bell jingled.
 
Nicolai and Edgar were taken back by all the great scents in the air, as they walked to the front counter a tall man in a green striped shirt, and white apron was going over his inventory list. “Good morning, Jed.”
 
“Oh good morning, Trey Who's that with you?” Jed asked
 
“This is Nicolai Fischer, his family just moved here yesterday.” said Trey
 
“Good morning, sir.” Nicolai said in a soft and shy voice. “
 
“It's nice to meet you. I'm Jed the owner of David's Carnival.”
 
“Really?” asked Nicolai in surprise “I though someone named David owned it.”
 
“Well actually the shop is named after my grandfather, David. If it weren't for him, I might've never started this business.”
 
After looking at his clipboard one more time, he placed it on the counter. “Anyway, what can I get you?” Jed asked
 
“I'll have the roasted corn on a stick. With spicy brown mustard,” said Trey.
 
“I thought so. You always have one before a big track practice, what would you like Nicolai?” Jed asked. Nicolai looked at the menu overhead. The large variety of choices made him unsure what to try.
 
“Do you have any specials?” he asked.
 
“Of course, we have a new product in fact. Lean chicken curry.”
 
Jed pointed to a picture on the counter, some fluffy golden rice with lean ground chicken, diced red peppers, looking very creamy. “I think I'll try the lean chicken curry please.” He decided finally.
 
“Got it, be right with you.” As Jed went into the kitchen, Edgar dragged Nicolai by the leash to a section of gourmet pet foods where he had his nose all over a box of barley wheat biscuits.
 
“I see someone's begging for a snack.” Nicolai said almost giggling.
 
“He sure is full of energy, I've always been a dog lover. Could I pet him?” Trey asked
 
“Sure, just go slow. Edgar can a bit shy around someone new.” Nicolai advised.
Trey slowly came down to Edgar's level and held out his hand. Edgar sniffed it a bit, and then gave it a big lick. Trey than gently stroked his fur. “His fur's so soft and shiny.” Edgar pointed his nose high, and whimpered a bit out of embarrassment from Trey's complement.
 
“That's because he eats healthy and I give him baths regularly.” Nicolai said proudly. Jed soon returned and the boys returned to the counter.
 
“Here they are, one roasted corn on a stick, with spicy brown mustard for Trey,” Once handed to him; Trey opened his mouth wide and popped it all in his mouth except for the stick.
 
“Here's your special Nicolai.” Nicolai was given his lean chicken curry in a white plastic bowl and fork.
 
“Well here goes.” Nicolai took a big bite and chewed it slowly. Once he swallowed, he wore a very delighted look on his face. “Wow, this is fantastic!” he exclaimed.
 
“I'm glad you enjoyed it, hope you'll spread the word.” said Jed.
 
“I'm sure my Dad and Vina would love this, they're big fans of curry.” thought Nicolai. Meanwhile, at the Fischer residence, Vinola was in the kitchen having her own snack, a little bowl of cashews. Heather was going over her groceries to make sure she had what she needed for lunch and dinner.
 
The wall clock in the kitchen struck ten and a soft bell rang, Vinola was wondering when her brother would return. “I wonder what his new friend is like?” she said
 
Heather too was also wondering about whom Nicolai left home with, so much so that she was also a little worried. “I hope he's looking both ways before crossing the street, and is wearing cool enough clothes. I know his father and I talked to him about the differences between the city and the country,” she said in worry “he'll be fine I know, just hope he remembers to come home for lunch.”
 
“I wonder if he has a younger brother or sister my age.” Vinola said.
 
Upstairs and Nicolai's room, Lucy laid on the rug where Edgar usually occupies still thinking about the argument they had. Leon went back to his cage and noticed her getting sadder and sadder. “Please don't beat yourself up any more Lucy. So you and Edgar had a little spat, I'm sure he'll forgive you when he and Nicolai come home.”
 
“I know you're right Leon, but I wish there was something more I can do to make it right.” Lucy said softly.