Fan Fiction ❯ 15 Honeydew Lane ❯ Getting Closer ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 6 - Getting closer
 
Nicolai, Edgar and Trey had soon arrived at a large square building with lots of thick windows. “Here we are guys,” said Trey, “the Highland City Community Center.”
 
“I've heard of places like this, but I've never seen one up close. They didn't have community centers where I use to live,” said Nicolai, “Are you sure Edgar would be allowed in here?”
 
“Yes, only you have to keep him in a special area for pets before we go to my practice.” Edgar felt a bit down by the news, but he was happy that Nicolai is slowly but surely making a friend.
 
They walked up the steps, and through a glass door. The lobby had a rigid business look that was very neat and orderly. Trey showed Nicolai a sign; that showed the direction of every place in the center.
 
“The sign shows the pet solarium is just a bit out of our way to my practice.” With Trey leading the way, Nicolai and Edgar went through the many corridors and saw many activities through the door windows.
 
Finally they reached a yellow door with black paw prints all over it. “It's right in here. I have to get to practice a bit early. Just follow this path till you see a glass door. That leads to the track field.”
 
So while Trey continued on down the long hallway, Nicolai opened the door and walked through. He was glad to see it was a nice looking place, with a very casual look to it. Edgar was really excited at all the sights and smells.
 
Nicolai was really impressed by the abstract mural. Nicolai then noticed a little window, and could see a little office on the other side. Nicolai quickly walked over to it to see how to get Edgar settled.
 
“Hello is someone back there?” he asked. Then a woman rolling a cart came up to the window. “Hello, can I help you?” she asked
 
“Yes, I'd like to leave my dog here awhile.”
 
“Ok, just follow the yellow line to your left, I'll meet you there.”
 
Nicolai turned to his left and followed the yellow line to a nice area where Nicolai could see a lot of dogs chewing on toys, play wrestling, and just lazing about. The woman rolling the cart soon met up with them.
 
“Hi, I'm Miss Jidel. I oversee the pet solarium. Just fill out these forms.” She gave Nicolai a clipboard and started writing down the facts needed. In a couple of minutes later he finished and handed it back to Miss Jidel.
 
She read all of Nicolai's responses very carefully and thoroughly. When she finished she then cleared her throat to speak. “Well everything seems to be in order, your last visit to the veterinarian was a month ago, he's had all his shots, well trained, I just need some more identification and his paw print.”
 
“Sure.” Nicolai said and pulled out his wallet. He took out a tiny folded up piece of paper and carefully unfolded it. “I always keep a copy of his adoption papers with me, just in case. His collar has a license that has his name, our address and phone number.”
 
He handed the paper to Miss Jidel who then flipped to the next page on the clipboard and clipped it on. “I'll just make a copy of this; you can bring your friend in now.”
 
As Miss Jidel left to the copy room, Nicolai bent down and unhooked the leash. “Be good while I'm gone ok?” He then carefully opened the glass door and Edgar walked right in. Miss Jidel then came back and returned the original adoption paper to Nicolai. “Everything's in order, just remember we close at five this afternoon.”
 
“Don't worry, I'll be back before then,” Nicolai then jogged off to catch with Trey. Edgar looked around feeling a bit out of sorts. “I haven't been around so many dogs since I was in the animal shelter, and before that on the street.”
 
He thought. Edgar was so deep in thought he wasn't paying attention to where he was going, and tripped over a sleeping beagle, which then awoke in shock. “What was that?” asked the beagle in fright. “Is someone there?”
 
The beagle then noticed Edgar plopped on the floor beside him. Edgar woozily stood up feeling confused and silly. “Hello there, I've never seen you here before, are you new?” asked the beagle.
 
“Yes I am. I'm so sorry for disturbing you.” Edgar said still a bit dizzy.
 
“Forget it, I'd probably been asleep to long anyway. I'm Zen, what's your name?”
 
“I'm Edgar, a pleasure to meet you I'm sure.”
 
Over in another zone of the solarium, all alone a steely eyed grey dog lay on an old pillow, glancing closely at Edgar. “Well, well. Would you look at that, there's a new mutt in town.” The grey dog said in a rugged slightly bitter voice.
 
Meanwhile Nicolai had arrived to the track field just in time to hear the coach blow a whistle and saw Trey and the other members of the track team race by. Nicolai was amazed at their speed as they came in for the first lap.
 
As the pace picked up in the second lap, Trey was neck and neck with a boy slightly taller, but in a sharp turn Trey took the lead. “Whoa.” Nicolai said in amazement. In the last lap, everyone now sprinted at his or her top speed.
 
Trey was still in front as he turned the oval track. “Come on Trey, you're doing great. Keep it up!” Nicolai exclaimed. Trey finished first with the taller boy right behind him, along with the rest of the team.
 
Everyone was tired and a bit out of breath from that final sprint. “Ok people, take five. Great job.” said the coach and left to get water. “You were amazing out there! I've never seen anyone run that fast.” Nicolai said.
 
“Thanks, I practice all the time.” Trey said and plopped himself on the bench. “I got here just in time to see you race down the first lap, I never track could be so exciting.” “I know, and next week we're going to do the high jump.”
 
“This reminds me of a movie a saw once, where a girl wants to join her school's track team, but is told she can't simply because she's girl. She gets her friends to band together to give her right to tryout. It was rough sailing for awhile, but once enough people pitched in, the school formed a girl's track team where she could finally test her merit.”
 
“I remember that movie; I think it was called Track and Dreams.” “Yeah that's it; it was based on a book I think.” “It was. I read it long before the movie came out and it's a surprising almost word for word adaptation.”
 
“Really that's great.” It was then Nicolai realized something. With every word he spoke to Trey, his shyness was slowly backing off. “So Nicolai, what's your family like?” asked Trey.
 
“Well my mom is a carpenter and makes the best cookies ever; my dad is a journalist and is working at the local news station as an anchor for the radio version. Then there's my sister Vinola, Vina for short. She's nice and helpful, but sometimes a handful, and then my pet mouse Leon, my mother's cat Lucy, and of course Edgar.” “
 
I wish I had a pet, but I'm far too busy at the moment.”
 
“Yes, it's an important responsibility all right, but always worth it.” Nicolai said thinking of his faithful dog. “Say, Trey I was wondering. I know we haven't known each other very long but maybe you'd like to come to my house for dinner this Saturday, we could even make a sleepover of it.”
 
“Sure that'd be great.” “Cool, I'll just ask my mom when I get home.”
 
Back at the pet solarium Zen showed Edgar around. “You'll like it here Edgar, there's lots to do and so many dogs to meet.”
 
The golden retriever turned to Zen, Edgar was taken back by the weariness in her eyes. “Edgar this is Virginia, a good friend of mine. Virginia, this is Edgar. He's new here.”
 
“It's nice to meet you, forgive my tattered and weary appearance. I'm going through a lot right now,” said Virginia
 
“You see her human Mrs. Walker has been very busy,” Zen began “She just had a baby and has gone back to her job as a newspaper photographer. Mr. Walker also agrees she should rest some more before returning to her job but she insisted. Though she misses her baby constantly, she wants to contribute to the finances again.”
 
“Mrs. Walker also has a five year old son and he just started Kindergarten today, I worry about him too. He's been worried about his mom, seeing her so tired and struggling is hard on him.”
 
“Poor girl, she could be as worn out as her mistress,” Edgar thought.
 
“Geez, give me a break.” The grey dog from the corner casually walked into the conversation. “You'd worry your own head off if it wasn't attached.”
 
“You stay out of this Jagger!” Zen said almost growling.
 
“Hey, I'm just giving my personal opinion is all, don't get your fur in a bunch.” Jagger said in a gruff tone of voice.
 
“Sounds more like a roundabout way of bullying to me.” Edgar said narrowing his eyes. Jagger looked right at Edgar, snarling softly.
 
“Who are you to judge me old timer?” Jagger said staring pierce into Edgar's narrowed eyes.
 
“I could ask you the same question, and I'll thank you to leave my age out of this,” Edgar started in. “I don't know what you see through those narrow eyes, but I can see Virginia is deeply worried about her family's well being. That's why her eyes are tired and face so worn, that's the sign of good character. It's something I know as a fact from my years of experience and from my family.”
 
Jagger was at a loss for words and quietly walked away staring back at Edgar as he returned to his corner. “Thanks for sticking for me Edgar. You too Zen, I feel a lot better.” Virginia said warmly.
 
“Think nothing of it, I've known you for a long time and I've been there myself.” Zen said. Jagger returned to his little corner, away from everything. He lay on his pillow and thinks of what Edgar had said to him.
 
That's why her eyes are tired and face so worn, that's the sign of good character. It's something I know as a fact from my years of experience and from my family.
 
Jagger fell asleep with those words still in his head. By this time there was a bell sound echoing throughout the solarium. “What's going on?” asked Edgar.
 
“That means its snack time.” Zen said. Edgar than glanced over to the snack zone and saw a stream of bones comes down the chute. All the dogs raced to the zone to get there into a nice bone.
 
Edgar was so lost in the excitement he didn't notice Nicolai outside in the hallway on the other side of the glass solarium glass wall. Nicolai looked through the glass wall but with all the dogs huddled around the snack zone, he couldn't see where Edgar was.
 
“Edgar it's time to go home!” Nicolai exclaimed. Even with all the excited barks, yelps and biting sounds to sort through, Edgar could make out Nicolai's voice in the thick of all the commotion. He quickly raced out and right to the door. Nicolai opened it and placed him on the leash.
 
“I hope you had fun, we've got to get home now.” As they left the big crowd at the snack zone quieted down a bit and Zen and Virginia gave him a glance at the window. At the lobby he met up with Trey who looked worried after glancing at the clock.
 
“I have to get home, it'll be lunchtime soon.” Nicolai said.
 
“Me too, my aunt's coming today and I promised to help with dinner.” As they walked out the door of the community center,
 
Trey and Nicolai went their separate ways and left for home. Trey got on his bike and pedaled as fast as possible to the right, while Nicolai and Edgar raced off to the left.