Fan Fiction ❯ 15 Honeydew Lane ❯ A precious gift ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
Chapter 7 - A precious gift
 
Nicolai had made just in time as he stopped abruptly in the kitchen where he noticed Vinola sitting down to lunch. “Welcome home dear,” Heather said as she brought over two plates of food over to the kitchen table. “Did you have a nice walk?”
 
“Yeah it was great mom, and I made a new friend today. His name's Trey, I met him at the park playing basketball, and then again when I came by home today.
 
“That's great Nicolai, is he outside waiting for you?” Nicolai took the leash off Edgar and he raced off for upstairs.
 
“No, he had to go home for lunch too and to help his mom prepare dinner for his aunt's visit. But I asked if he'd like to come for dinner on Saturday, is that all right?”
 
“Of course, if it's all right with his parents too.” Nicolai sat down at the table and began to eat lunch. Meanwhile upstairs Edgar headed for Nicolai's room, hoping Lucy was there. He takes a peek around inside to see she was asleep. Edgar stepped quietly inside, not wanting to disturb her.
 
“I wonder if she's still mad at me?” he asked himself.
 
“Don't worry, even she can't mad forever.” Edgar turned to see Leon in his cage gnawing on a pecan halve. “We were in the backyard this morning and told me, she feels bad about arguing with you.”
 
“Really she did?”
 
“Uh huh, and she said something that made me think. She said sometimes what we think couldn't happen in our heads, we know in our hearts is the real truth. I don't fully understand it, but I figured you would don't you?”
 
“Yeah, I do.” Right then, Lucy opened her eyes and stretched out. When she noticed Edgar had returned, she felt nervous but knew she had to apologize.
 
“Hi, welcome back.” she said.
 
“I'm glad you're awake, there's a lot I have to tell you.”
 
“Me too, you go first.” said Lucy
 
“No, you can if you like.” Edgar said
 
“Ok, I'm really sorry about what I said before. I should've known Nicolai isn't that kind of kid. I was overreacting.”
 
“Well I was too quick to anger, I'm sorry too.”
 
They nuzzled each other's face and hopped onto Nicolai's bed. “So how was your walk?” asked Lucy.
 
“It was great, we went to the park and we watched a basketball game.” “How nice, what happened next?”
 
“Well while we were watching the game, Nicolai and I noticed something unusual. There was an alligator on the court, in a red jersey playing in the game.”
 
“Impossible, you're making that up.” Leon said giggling.
 
Then a voice was heard in hall. “No he's not,” Nicolai walked in and sat by Edgar and Lucy on his bed.
 
“We really did meet an alligator in the park, his name's Trey and I think we're becoming friends.”
 
“I'm glad for you Nicolai.” Edgar said proudly.
 
“Me too.” said Lucy in agreement.
 
Nicolai lightly scratched Edgar by the ear and gently rubbed Lucy's back and told all he did with Trey, and Edgar told everyone of his little adventure at the community center's pet solarium and how he made new friends himself.
 
Leon listened quietly but didn't speak. Later that afternoon, Nicolai wrote more in his journal, he would occasionally look out the window and see Lucy napping under a tree, and Vinola playing with Edgar.
 
Leon had been quiet in his cage ever since Nicolai talked to them earlier, he'd been thinking of what to say to him for hours. “Let's see how about this?” He bowed politely and rose up again. “Greetings master, I'm Leon. No too formal.” He thought. As he rehearsed what to say Nicolai could hear him in the background.
 
“Maybe something like, Hi I'm Leon. No too casual.” He stopped cold when Nicolai came toward him. He opened the cage door and Leon scampered into his hand.
 
“You don't have to rehearse Leon, you can just say hello.” He returned to his desk and Leon jumped off. “I think it's high time we had some time to be together just for us.” He then took his pencil in hand and continued writing.
 
I hated my nightmare, but loved that Edgar comforted me, and I'm glad it wasn't a dream. I also loved that I made a new friend today, and while it was touch and go at first (Mostly because I was nervous) I'm glad I met Trey. He's kind, cool, and very athletic. I'm still not a hundred percent convinced he's an alligator, but even if that's true I'm glad he's coming for dinner tomorrow. I just hope my parents and Vina aren't too freaked.
 
I don't know how Edgar spoke to me that night, or how Lucy and Leon did the same, but I'll make sure nothing ever happens to them. Until next time
 
This is Nicolai signing off
 
Later that evening Nicolai sat out on the back porch in a red deck chair, watching the sun set. “Today was great, odd but great,” Lucy scampered up the porch.
 
“Hi Lucy, just got up from another nap I see.” Lucy stretched herself out and limberly jumped onto the porch railing.
 
“Yes well, cats are usually more active at night. Craig though liked being up during the day.”
 
Craig? Do you mean that cat from the farm next door from our old house in Birchwood, Katie's cat?”
 
“Yes the very same, I remember the first time I met him. I was just a young kitten, bright-eyed, and very curious about the world.” At that moment Heather came out to see Nicolai sitting peacefully on the deck.
 
“Nicolai, it'll be time for dinner soon. Remember to wash up first.”
 
“Ok mom.” Nicolai said and headed inside. Lucy leapt down from the railing and meowed softly. Heather giggled slightly as Lucy rubbed her body around her leg.
 
“You come inside too, were having grilled halibut. You can have the leftovers.” At dinner Nicolai was very quiet and enjoying the salad that came with the halibut.
 
“Do I have to eat halibut mommy?” Vinola asked.
 
“Yes you do, it's good for you. It's brain food.” Vinola looked at the fish in discuss, she didn't think she'd like it at all. “Can I have seconds on salad?” she asked.
 
“You've already had two helpings; you have to at least have five bites of that halibut.” Rob said.
 
“Ok.” Vinola picked up a piece with her fork and took a bite. She chewed it slowly and swallowed it easy. “Hey this is pretty ok.” Vinola said in surprise. As Vinola finished off her halibut Nicolai ate the last of his salad and long since finished the halibut.
 
“I'm done, may I be excused please?” Nicolai asked.
 
“But you haven't had dessert yet, we're having blueberry crisp tonight.” Heather said.
 
“No thanks, I'm pretty full. Maybe you could save me some for tomorrow?”
 
“All right if you're sure, you're excused.” Nicolai put his knife and fork on the plate, brought it to the sink and then left for his bedroom.
 
“He doesn't usually turn down dessert. I hope he's all right.”
 
“I'm sure he's fine dear, he did have a big day.” Rob said.
 
Nicolai went into his room and gathered his little box of bath things from the top of his dresser. He then went under his bed and took out his box of special things. He opened it up and took out an old toy sailing ship. “As nice as the day I got it.” He thought.
 
“What's that master?” asked Leon.
 
“It's a sailing ship, it floats in the water and it moves when the wind's good.”
 
“Really, that's cool.”
 
“Yeah it is,” He closed the box and put it back under the bed. With the sailing ship in one hand and box of bath things in the other, he left for the bathroom. “It's a gift I'll always keep.” He said softly to himself.
 
Leon heard what his master said under his breath and wondered what he meant. Nicolai ran his bath and used his favorite strawberries and cream bubble bath.
 
Downstairs Edgar came into the kitchen from the back door's pet flap; he could hear someone drawing a bath upstairs. In the tub Nicolai was still very quiet as he washed up. As he saw his toy ship floating in the tub it gave him a sad, yet happy feeling inside.
 
“It's just as I remember it.” Just then he heard a scratching at the window.
 
“It's ok, I'm alone.” Edgar quietly walked in and kicked door back closed. “I was cutting it close, your father almost saw me come in.”
 
“Well if he was carrying a bag of charcoal I wouldn't worry, with barbeque season in full swing it's all he has on his mind after dinner.” “I see.”
 
“I still wonder Edgar, how is any of this possible? The kangaroo waiter and the coyote and hippo lady at the diner, you speaking to me last night, and my meeting Trey at the park. Now I can speak to Lucy and Leon, there has to be a reason, don't you think?”
 
“I agree, but I'm sure we'll discover it in time.” Edgar then noticed the toy sailing ship floating in the tub. “I haven't seen that in a long time, it used to be your favorite toy when you were little.”
 
“Yes it was, and it's still an important treasure to me today,” Edgar was at first confused by those words. Then he saw the mist of tears in his eyes. It was from Katie Fields, we met in kindergarten. Right from the start, she was always there for me.”
 
Nicolai took his ship and held it to his chest. “She made that ship from scratch with nothing but an idea and a design her sister help her drew.” He looked at the ship and marveled every hand made detail.
 
“She did ask my mom being a carpenter to assist her, but she handled every detail herself. She gave it to me for my fifth birthday. It's the most important toy I own, it's my precious gift.” With that thought he shut his eyes for a moment and a tear struck down his face.
 
“Please don't cry again Nicolai, it'll be fine.”
 
“Don't worry Edgar, even though I'm crying I'm not sad. I'm happy because I know that I'll make more friends like Katie, and Trey, as long as I simply believe in myself.”
 
“That's right, so keep your chin up ok? You may be shy at times but you're getting better.”
 
“You're sure?” Nicolai asked.
 
“Positive, and remember that Leon, Lucy, and myself are here should you need us.” “I know, and thank you.”