Fan Fiction ❯ 15 Honeydew Lane ❯ To a new friend, to a new beginning ( Chapter 11 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
Chapter 11 - To a new friend, to a new beginning
 
By late afternoon everything was ready for Trey's arrival. The dinner prepared and everyone is clean, and the table was set. Nicolai was in the living room and very nervous on how the visit would go. Vinola was in the kitchen drawing while Heather was talking to Rob over her cell phone. “So you're ok with all this honey?” she asked.
 
“I'm fine dear, I'm still not sure of all this but you'll be there so I'm not worried too much.” Rob said from his office desk.
 
“Ok then, well goodbye.” Heather turned off her phone and headed for her room to change clothes. Soon after Rob was on the way home in his car, as he drove he thought of what Heather said to him.
 
“I still find all this hard to believe, so I'm going to pay a visit to that library on the way home and see what's up.” Meanwhile, around the block of the Fischer house, Trey holding a basket wrapped in pink colored plastic stopped at the corner.
 
“Well Trey this it, I hope I'm as ready as Nicolai is.” So with a gulp in his throat Trey made his way down to the street. It only took a couple minutes to arrive at fifteen Honeydew Lane, it would've taken less but he walked a tad slow.
 
As he rang the doorbell he was nervous of how it would go, but tried his best not to show when the door flung open. It was Nicolai who Trey could tell also looked nervous. “Hi Trey, I'm glad you made it.”
 
“Thanks.” Trey said and entered inside with Nicolai closing the door behind him.
 
“Just make yourself at home. I'll go tell my Mom you're here.” As Nicolai headed for the stairs, Trey sat on the couch still worried how Nicolai's Mother would react to him, at that moment Vinola than came into the living room waving a picture she drew.
 
“Mommy I finished my picture!” When she looked around she didn't see her Mother but she did notice Trey on the couch and felt a bit scared.
 
“Mommy there's a lizard man in the house!” Before Trey could say or do anything, Vinola ran off into the dining room and hid under the table, not noticing she dropped her picture in living room. Trey felt awful, as he feared this would happen.
He then noticed the picture Vinola dropped.
 
He went over and picked it up. In the picture: was a man at a desk in front of a microphone and a woman in suspenders holding a hammer. Vinola saw that Trey had his picture, and although she was afraid she squirmed out from under the table and raced back into the living room.
 
“Hold it right there lizard man, scaring me is one thing. But you can't have my picture.” Vinola said bravely.
 
“Oh don't worry. I wouldn't take your picture. I was just looking at it,” Trey said. “You drew it?”
 
“Yeah, it's my greatest work yet,” She then pointed to what each part of the picture was. “The man at the desk is my Daddy doing his radio news show. My Mom's the one with hammer, she's a carpenter.”
 
“It's really good, nice colors.” Trey said and gave Vinola back the picture.
 
“Thanks, you sure are nice for a scary lizard man.” she said smiling
 
“Well actually I'm an alligator, and I'm an amphibian, not a lizard. But I am related to lizards.”
 
“Cool. I'm Vinola Fischer, what's you're name?”
 
“I'm Trey, are you Nicolai's sister?”
 
“Yes, you know my big brother?”
 
“Yeah we met the other day and he told me all about you.” “He did”
 
“Yes, he told me how you're nice, funny, and love to play games.”
 
“Yep, that's me all right. So do you want to play?”
 
“Sure, what did you have in mind?” Trey asked.
 
Meanwhile, upstairs Heather had changed into more casual clothes and putting on her shoes when Nicolai knocked on the door. “Come in.” The opened and Nicolai came inside.
 
“Mom, Trey's here. I'm going to show him my room.”
 
“Ok, I'll be right down.” Heather replied
 
Nicolai left his parents room to hear Vinola yelling downstairs. “Oh no, I forgot about Vinola!” Nicolai quickly raced down the stairs back into the living room. Nicolai hoped Vinola wasn't too scared of Trey. But when looked around he saw that Vinola wasn't yelling in fear, she yelling in delight as she rode on Trey's back playing.
 
“Vina, Trey what are you doing?” asked Nicolai.
 
“Playing cowgirl on the open range, Trey's my fateful steed.” Vinola said.
 
“I thought you'd be afraid of Trey.” Nicolai said surprised
 
“Well I was at first, but then I saw how nice he was. I see why you're friends.”
 
“Thanks, Vina, I'm glad you not scared anymore.” Nicolai said beaming. So Vinola and Trey went to the backyard and continued their game of cowgirl on the open range, Nicolai joined in and played the villain that opposes all law.
 
By this time, Heather came out into the backyard and everyone went over to her. “I see you're all having fun,” she said
 
“Mom this is Trey, Trey this is my Mom Heather.”
 
“It's nice to meet you Trey.” Heather said and slowly let out her hand.
 
“Thank you ma'am,” Trey replied and shook Heather's hand.
 
“Oh I almost forgot.” Trey quickly went over to the sandbox and took the basket he brought, and raced back over to everyone. “Here's a housewarming gift my family and I got for you.”
 
Trey said giving Heather the basket. “Oh? How very polite of you” Heather said. “Thank you in advance for meal and for inviting me to your home today.” Trey said bowing gracefully.
 
“You're welcome Trey,” Just then the clock sounded six o`clock. “Speaking of meals, it's time for ours.” So everyone went into the dining room and everyone sat down to dinner. Nicolai and Vinola were excited when Heather brought over a platter a sushi, sashimi, and a big pot of soup.
 
“Thanks Mom, this looks great.” Nicolai said.
 
“Thank you dear.” Heather replied as she ladled the soup into bowls. As Nicolai and Vinola served themselves, Trey was confused by that platter of food he had never seen before.
 
“What is this stuff?” asked Trey.
 
“Its sushi and sashimi, you've got to try it.” Nicolai said.
 
“Wait a minute, I've heard of this stuff before. My cousin James had it at his birthday party last year.” Then without even needing an explanation, Trey reached for the chopsticks and started to serve himself.
 
“Wow you're good with chopsticks Trey.” Vinola said.
 
“My cousin taught me at his birthday party. It takes a lot of practice.”
 
“Don't I know it? It took me almost a year to do it. Good thing you can eat it with you fingers too.” Nicolai said picking up a piece and popped it in his mouth. Vinola tried to get the piece in her mouth but it fell back on the plate.
 
“I'm still learning myself. I know how to get food with chopsticks, but I'm still having trouble getting it into my mouth.” Vinola said and started eating with her hands instead.
 
“Who's ready for beef stew?” Heather asked.
 
“I am!” everyone shouted at once. Everyone got a bowl and greatly enjoyed it. “Where's Daddy, isn't he coming home?” asked Vinola.
 
“I'm sure he's coming sweetie, though he should've been home by now. At that moment everyone could hear the door opening.
 
“Oh I bet that's your Father now, keep eating everyone. I'll be right back.” Heather said and raced for the door. When she got there she saw Rob plop onto the couch. “Oh Rob you look beat, are you all right?” Heather asked running to her husband.
 
“Yeah I'm fine Heather.” Rob said loosening his tie.
 
Before Heather could ask another question, Harold came through the door. Unlike the last time he was here, Harold wore a brown golf hat and wore a bag of golf clubs strapped to his back. “Oh Mr. Harold, what brings you by?” Heather asked.
 
“Well I was just leaving for evening golf when your husband came by asking for me,” Heather looked at her husband in surprise. In the dining room everyone was quiet and listened attentively as Harold continued. “He told me what you told him about our meeting and wanted to understand more.”
 
“Now don't get me wrong honey, it's not that I thought you lied but this isn't news you hear everyday.” said Rob. “I understand Rob but you should've called to tell me you'd be late, we have Nicolai's friend over for dinner tonight.”
 
“I know and I'm sorry for worrying you.” “Well I had better be going now,” said Harold tipping his golf hat. “See you later.” and left closing the door behind him.
 
“Well I'm glad you're home and safe, that's the main thing.” Heather said. “Did I miss dinner?” asked Rob.
 
“Not at all, we made sure to save you a portion. Tonight its Sushi, sashimi, and beef stew.” “Two of my favorites, let me just change.” and with that left for upstairs. After he returned the rest of the meal was a huge success, everyone had great stories to tell, and there were many laughs at the table. Afterwards Trey went into the kitchen to call home. “Hello?” Trey asked waiting for a response.
 
“Trey is that you?” asked a feminine voice on the phone.
 
“Yes Mom, it's me.”
 
“Did you have a great time sweetie scales?”
 
“Great Mom, everyone is really nice and the food was excellent.”
 
“That's great, well you better start heading home now I want you to see your aunt off.”
 
“Ok Mom I'm on my way goodbye.”
 
After hanging up the phone, Nicolai showed Trey the door.
 
“Thanks again for coming Trey. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.” “Well thanks for having me, maybe you can have dinner at my house sometime.”
 
“That'd be great, and maybe next time you come over, you can spend the night.”
 
“I'd like that; well I better kick it home. I'll see you around Nicolai.” As he left Nicolai remembered something.
 
“Wait a minute Trey!” Nicolai quickly ran down the path to catch up to his friend.
“Before you go I want you to have something,” He then went into his shirt pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. “Here's my phone number, call me sometime.” said Nicolai handing Trey the paper.
 
“Thanks I will, and when I do I'll tell you my number.”
“Ok, that's a promise.” and with that Trey set off for home. As Nicolai went back inside, he had a much better feeling about moving to Highland city. Soon after dinner, Heather went outside on the backyard porch and sat in an old wicker chair to watch the sunset.
 
Lucy had wooden up from her long afternoon nap and after noticing Heather hopped up onto the porch's wood railing. “I'm glad you're awake,” Heather said. “Did you sleep well?”
 
“I did, I think I'm really starting to get a feel for this city. It's surprisingly peaceful. It's still a bit a hustle and bustle. Plus there's a fish market only a few miles from here.”
 
“How do you know that?” Heather asked
 
“I overheard the cat next door mention that, I forget what it's called, I'll see if I can get him to mention it tomorrow.”
 
Heather chuckled lightly. “Thanks, I sure hope they have sushi grade fish that's a bit better priced.” She then looked out to her garden, noticing the sunflowers in full bloom. “You know I wrote a poem about those sunflowers. Would you like to hear it?”
 
“Yes please.” Heather replied. Lucy cleared her throat and in her best poem reciting voice she began.
 
Sunflowers of summer stand tall and proud, so gentle and quiet, not rowdy or loud. Sunflowers of summer be careful tonight, there might be a chill so huddle up tight. Sunflowers of summer aren't still as bricks when a pleasant breeze flows by. They sway and dance as if they took off to fly. Sunflowers of summer stand tall, strong, and free. While I might like to be a sunflower, I just love being me.
 
A gentle breeze blew by and carried the scent of the sunflowers throughout the porch, the breeze tickled Lucy's nose so much that she sneezed. “It was a lovely poem Lucy thank you.” “You're welcome Heather.” Lucy replied with mist in her eyes.
 
“What's wrong Lucy, are you allergic to sunflowers?” Lucy shook her head.
 
“No it's not that. You know when you and Rob got married I wanted to wish you best wishes for you wedding, and not just because I was a gift from you Mother when I was a small kitten. Heather eyes opened fully as she listened carefully to Lucy's words.
 
“From the moment I saw you two at the alter I knew you were right for each other, very few couples today had the looks on their faces from the time you exchanged vows, to bringing up wonderful children. I'm glad that I can say I was there at the beginning.”
 
Heather couldn't help but let a tear streak down her face. “Thank you Lucy, for those kind words. They'll be in my heart always. As the sun slowly set, Lucy bound into Heather's arms and they went inside.
 
Later that night Nicolai wrote in his journal as he usually did before bed.
 
Never did I think that moving could be such an adventure, since arriving in Highland city so many amazing things have happened. From the talking animals (Including my pets), and all the cool stuff I've seen so far.
 
From the community center, the park, and my new school even though I haven't been inside yet, and of course meeting Unagi and Mr. Harold Broadtail helped my parents and me see we weren't going nuts.
 
It seems everyone in the Fischer household is adjusting to life in Highland city quite well, and I can now say myself included. I still am homesick for Birchwood sometimes, but I know this will be home too in time.
 
I'll have to write my old friends soon, since my birthday's coming soon, till next time.
 
This is Nicolai signing off
 
The end