Fan Fiction ❯ 15 Honeydew Lane ❯ It's all out in the open ( Chapter 10 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
Chapter 10 - It's now out in the open
 
Meanwhile, back at the park the neighborhood basketball championship just entered its second half and Trey had the ball, Trey's team is behind by two points. Nicolai and Edgar watched on the sidelines with a bunch of other kids.
 
Trey passed the ball to a fellow teammate, who went for a jump shot and scores. The game went on with each team neck and neck in the scores. Finally after twenty-two minutes the game was tied at thirty to thirty.
 
“Ok team, this is it. All we have to do is time this just right and we'll win,” said Trey in the huddle.
 
“What's our game plan?” asked a teammate.
 
“Well Nate when Norman passes the ball to you, either pass it to me, if I'm open or try for the shot yourself ok?"
 
“Ok I'm on it.,” Nate replied. Afterwards the teams got into position and the game resumed. As with the plan, Norman stole the ball from the opposing team and passed it to Nate. He scoped around the court and saw Trey wasn't open.
 
It's now down to the last nine seconds, just before an opposing player could steal the ball.
Nate did a jump shot and scored the last point of the game, the referee blew the whistle and the crowd cheered.
 
“All right they won!” Nicolai shouted. Edgar barked and howled in excitement. Later that morning Trey brought Nicolai to the local ice cream parlor where they each just finished an apple nut sundae.
 
“So what did you want to talk to me about?” Trey asked.
 
“I want to know if you're really are what you look to be.”
 
“Huh? What are you talking about?” Nicolai than took out the letter from Harold and gave it to Trey. As he read the letter it started to make sense.
 
“I hope you're not mad, I just needed to know.” Nicolai looking worried
 
“I'm not mad. I figured it was your first time in a place like this. When we first met, I could tell by your nervousness.” Trey said handing back the letter.
 
“Really, you did” Nicolai said folding the letter back and placing it in his shirt pocket.
 
“Yep, and it's ok. Most of the human kids here felt as you did when they first arrived.” “So you know about Mr. Broadtail?” “Yes I do, I would've said something but I really didn't think of it before, what with the game and all.”
 
“That's ok, and thanks for telling me. But I still want to be friends with you, no matter what.”
 
“I know Nicolai, me too.” said Trey
 
“So did you ask your parents if you can come over for dinner?” “Yeah, and they said yes. But are you sure you parents and little sister won't mind?”
 
“Well I asked my parents and they said yes.”
 
“Cool, what time should I come?”
 
“Well we have dinner at 6:30, so come at five, so we can play.” Before Nicolai could finish Trey quickly got up from the booth.
 
“Great, I'll see you at 6:30 then. I promised my mom I'd help go shopping.” Trey said and quickly left before Nicolai could finish what he had to say.
 
“I didn't tell him that I didn't tell my parents he was an alligator.” Nicolai said softly
 
“I'm sure it'll be fine Nicolai, somehow it'll work out.” Edgar said with confidence.
 
“I hope so Edgar,” said Nicolai, “I sure hope so.” It was almost noon when Nicolai and Edgar returned home. When they stopped at the door, Nicolai was hesitant to open it.
 
“Just be cool Nicolai, you can do this.” thought Nicolai. After taking a deep breath, Nicolai spoke aloud. “Mom and Dad, there's something I have to tell you.” But before he could rehearse what to say, he heard a familiar voice.
 
“So Mrs. Fischer do you understand what I've said.”
 
“I think I do yes, but this is still hard to believe.”
 
“That voice talking to mom, could it be.” Nicolai quickly took out his house key and opened the door with a thrust. Once in the living room he saw his mother sitting on the couch beside Harold each enjoying a nice cup of tea.
 
“Oh welcome back Mr. Nicolai, would you care for some tea?” asked Harold.
 
“Mr. Broadtail what are you doing here?” Nicolai asked.
 
“Well after you left I figured I would pay your home a visit to explain to the rest of your family what I explained to you.” “So you already know Nicolai, why didn't you say anything?”
 
“I'm sorry mom, I wanted to it was just-” Before Nicolai could finish Harold cut him off.
 
“I figured you might find it hard to believe so I thought coming over was the right thing to do,” Harold then put another sugar cube in his tea and stirred it lightly.
“You must admit, sometimes the truth can be hard to believe.”
 
“That's certainly true. I sure never imagined moving here would be so enchanting for lack of a better word.” “Oh I think it's just the right word for today.”
 
“So Nicolai, Harold tells me he sent you a letter explaining these things. May I see it please?” Heather asked.
 
“Sure mom.” Nicolai takes out the letter from his shirt pocket and gives it to his Mother. As she read the letter, Nicolai could feel many weights lifting from his shoulders/
“Well Nicolai, from what Harold has explained to me, and this letter I think I'm slowly getting used to all this.”
 
“Me too mom.” said Nicolai smiling. “Only thing now is how we are going to explain this to your father.”
 
“I wouldn't worry,” said Harold giving a little wink. “I'm sure it'll become clear to him soon.” He then sipped the last of his third cup of tea, placed the cup on the tea tray, and picked up his briefcase. “Well I better mosey along now, you all take care and remember if you have any other questions, you know were to find me.”
 
He hopped down from the couch and headed left for the door. Right then Heather noticed the wall clock strike noon. “Well how about some lunch?” Heather asked. “Sure.” said Nicolai.
 
By a few minutes after twelve, Heather prepared some grilled cheese sandwiches which she cut into triangles, apple slices and three cups of the tea Harold had brewed earlier warmed up and placed it impressively on the dining room table.
 
“This looks great mom thanks.” Nicolai said. “No problem honey.” in the kitchen Heather also gave Edgar the ribs bones that Rob ate for his midnight snack the other night in his red food dish. (change or re-arrange)
 
She also gave Lucy her favorite tuna biscuits in her violet food dish. “Where's Vina?” Nicolai asked. “She went to her room to play, I'll get her.” As everyone enjoyed his or her lunch, Heather left the kitchen to fetch her daughter.
 
When she arrived in Vinola's room, Heather could see Vinola struggling with something. “Let' see, you do a knot here and… Oh darn it!”
 
“What's wrong Vina?”
 
“Well I know it's lunchtime but when I was coming down I tripped over my shoestrings.”
 
“You mean shoelaces dear.” Heather said.
 
“Yeah that, and I tried to tie them back up like you showed me, but it's so hard.” Vinola said.
 
“Well let's see if you can get it this time.” So Heather sat down beside Vinola and helped her grip her shoelaces properly.
 
“Now I'll show you again, then you'll do it on your own ok?”
 
“Ok mommy.”
 
Heather then did a tight knot, and then she then made what looked like two bunny ears and tied them together.
 
“Did you see how I did it?”
 
“Yes mommy, now I want to try.”
 
So Vinola did a knot as her mother showed her, she then did the bunny ears and tied a knot from that. “I did it mommy!” exclaimed Vinola.
 
“I knew you could do it. Come on, let's go down for lunch.” With her daughter taking her hand they left for the dining room, from there everyone enjoyed a nice lunch.