Fan Fiction ❯ 15 Honeydew Lane ❯ Harold V. Broadtail ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
Chapter 9 - Harold V. Broadtail
 
The next morning right after breakfast, Nicolai and Edgar raced off to return that library. They were determined to find the answers they seek. “So do you remember where it is exactly?” Edgar asked
 
“Yes,” replied Nicolai. “I'm taking the exact same route I took the park yesterday.” Soon enough they arrived at the library at the corner.” Edgar then stopped suddenly and begins sniffing the air around him. “What is it, is something wrong?” Nicolai asked.
 
“On the contrary,” said Edgar. Everything's all right. That pigeon's scent is here.”
 
“You mean the pigeon with the fedora that gave me the letter last night?” Nicolai asked
 
“The very same,” replied Edgar “We're definitely in the right place.”
 
“Good call, I sure can't could sneak up on you can I?”
 
Edgar and Nicolai looked up to see the fedora wearing pigeon fluttering above their heads. “You're definitely in the right place all right. Let me personally welcome you to the Highland Corner library. I'm Unagi, an associate of Harold V. Broadtail,” said the little pigeon.
 
“The same one who wrote me the letter you gave me?” Nicolai asked
 
“Exactly, Harold works and lives in this library as the creator and runner of the library's website.” said Unagi.
 
“How does he already know my name, even though we've never met?” asks Nicolai.
 
“Don't worry about that now, he'll tell you himself soon enough. Just follow me.”
 
Nicolai then opened the door and they all went inside. It was still very early so no one else was around as they followed the pigeon through the rows and rows of bookshelves. It wasn't long till they arrived at the yellow door.
 
“The yellow door near a fake palm tree, just where the letter said it would be.” Nicolai said.
 
“Remember you have to knock on the door four times fast.” said Edgar mindfully.
 
Nicolai knocks on the door four times fast and waited for a response. “Hello? I'm Nicolai Fischer and I've done as you asked. I came with the letter and Edgar.”
 
“Just a minute, I'll be right with you,” said a male voice. The three waited for almost three minutes when the voice spoke again. “Sorry for the small delay, please come in. Then they heard a bell sound and the door slowly opened, Nicolai was feeling nervous but walked inside with Edgar and Unagi close behind.
 
Once inside Nicolai was enchanted that it was a very nicely tailored room. “This sure is a nice office, my aunt's a librarian and her office is pretty basic. This place looks like it came out of a movie.” Said Nicolai
 
“Why thank you, hand picked everything myself, in fact the theater troop at the local playhouse used my office as a base for designing a set for the play Moira, based on the new Highland City bestseller novel.” said the male voice proudly.
 
Nicolai looked around and wondered where the voice was coming from, he then noticed a large desk in front of a large pitcher window with blinds blocking the view of the outside. “Please, have a seat and make yourself comfortable.” said the male voice again. Nicolai could now see the voice was coming from a large office chair that faced the pitcher window.
 
Nicolai sat in a small chair in front of the desk and Edgar sat down on the carpeted floor beside him. “Are you, Mr. Harold Broadtail?”
 
“I am, and I know you want answers to the questions you seek so I'll begin,” It was quiet for a moment then Harold spoke again. “First I'll get one thing out of the way, I find out about new citizens who take residence, visit, or work here through our city's population website. However in your case Unagi happened to be flying by yesterday and inadvertently overheard your conversation with Trey.”
 
“So that's how you know my name, and that I just moved here, but I'd still like to know how you know Edgar spoke to me that night.” Nicolai said demandingly
 
“That's going to be harder to explain so listen carefully. That population website I told you about can only be accessed by either the city's school board, the mayor, and someone called a resident sage.”
 
“A resident sage, what's that?” asked Nicolai
 
“Cites, towns, or anywhere, resident sages are assigned to give newcomers to the answers they seek. I am the resident sage of Highland city.”
 
“You also said that there are places with talking animals are all over the world, how com I've never heard of it before let alone seen it till now?”
 
“While it's slowly becoming more prominent worldwide, many places such as your old hometown have yet to experience it.”
 
“So you're telling me your one of these resident sages, what is it they do?”
 
“As I said before, our job is to give people who are unfamiliar with what you've experienced the answers they seek. Whenever this happens for the first time in where resident sages are located, our badges glow.”
 
“Glowing badges, what are you talking about?” asked Nicolai
 
“Every resident sage is given a badge, these badges glow when someone experiences what you've experienced for the first time. When Edgar reached out to you that night, my badge glowed.”
 
“But how did you know me from anyone else?”
 
“I can't answer that now.” said Harold
 
“So is that all I have to know?” Nicolai asked
 
“Almost, but before I continue there's something I must do.” The chair then turned around and Nicolai was stunned. In the chair was a stern looking raccoon. He wore a black vest with a silver badge pinned on the left.
 
“Well I never said that only humans were resident sages.” Harold said.
 
“I see. So you're one of them too. Why didn't you say so in the beginning?” asked Nicolai
 
“Well I wanted to be sure you would listen and not feel off put.”
 
“Well, is there more you wanted to tell me?”
 
“Yes, but first tell me how you feel about this city.”
 
“Why?” asked Nicolai
 
“It's very important I know.” So Nicolai told Harold the whole story, when he'd finished Harold seemed satisfied in what he heard.” Indeed, now I completely understand.”
 
“Understand what?” asked Nicolai.
 
“I just remembered that my badge did glow around the time you went to the diner, it was when you were greeted by Rory, and when you overheard the hippo and coyote ladies talking.”
 
“So they really weren't costumes after all. They were real.”
 
“Exactly, but it wasn't till Edgar spoke to you that you started to see, and by yesterday you believed it with Trey. You were frightened at first, but you befriended him.”
 
“Trey is really great. He's been so nice since we met. I wanted to ask him about it, but felt it wasn't right to.”
 
“Would you like to tell him now?” asked Harold
 
“I guess I would, but I don't know where he lives for one, and I don't want to offend him.”
 
“If he's your friend, then I think he'd understand,” Harold looked directly into Nicolai's eyes with his eyelids narrowing, “Besides, once that's out of the way, you can take your friendship to the next level.”
 
“Well now that you have your answers, are you ready to talk to Trey?” asked Unagi.
 
“Yes.” replied Nicolai. Unagi then perched himself on Nicolai's left arm.
 
“Remember you first met Trey at a basketball game in the park, you might find him there again.” said Unagi
 
“Well ok then, the park is our first stop.” Soon after, Nicolai with Unagi still perched on his left arm and Edgar on the leash left the library behind them, and headed for the park in hopes of finding Trey.
 
“So Unagi, what makes you sure they'll be another basketball game today?” Nicolai asked.
 
“Well I'm not entirely sure, but I figure you met him around this time so
I figure he might show up again today.”
 
“Well that makes sense. I sure hope I can find him again.” Back at the library, Harold took some scrolls from his desk drawer and placed them in an open briefcase. Along with a pair of reading glasses and locked the case shut.
 
“Well I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Let's hope the rest of the Fischer family is.”
 
By this time; Nicolai, Edgar, and Unagi had arrived in the park and quickly scoping around for Trey.
 
“I don't see him here, do either of you?” asked Nicolai.
 
“I don't see him either, I'll see if I can spot him from the air.” But before Unagi could take off, Edgar got a whiff of something.
 
“What is it Edgar?” Nicolai asked
 
“I think I'm picking up Trey's scent.” Edgar then pulled Nicolai back to the park entrance. Sure enough coming around the corner was Trey with a gym bag in hand.
 
“Well hey there. I was hoping I'd run into you, good morning to you.” Trey said
 
“Hey Trey, I was hoping I'd meet up with you.”
 
“Well I'd like to stay and chat, but I've got a big basketball game today.”
 
“Didn't you already have a game yesterday?” “That was a practice game, today's the monthly championship game. You're welcome to stay and watch.”
 
“Ok, sounds great. But I really need to talk you after all right?”
 
“Sure.” Trey said and left for the blacktop. “Well guys I better go, good luck to you.” said Unagi and flew high in to the air.
 
Back at the Fischer residence, Leon and Lucy were lying under a shady tree while Vinola was riding on her scooter. “So tell me Leon, do you know where Nicolai went off to in such a hurry?” asked Lucy.
 
“Well all I know is that Edgar told me someone came by last night and gave the master a letter.”
 
“A letter, someone delivered in the dark of night?” Lucy asked in disbelief.
 
“That's what I heard, it must be important if they left so early.”
 
As the two talked some more, Vinola noticed a tree filled with bright, sweet looking oranges. “Wow an orange tree! I wonder what they taste like.” Vinola rode her scooter to the tree and carefully laid it down at the trunk.
 
As she began to climb the tree Leon noticed her. “Lucy, can humans climb trees?” he asked
 
“Well Leon, of course cats, such as myself can climb trees easily, though getting down is another matter. I've seen many humans try but only a handful have succeeded. Why do you ask?”
 
“Well I sure do hope the master's sister is part of the handful.”
 
Lucy then looked over to see Vinola climbing the tree. “Oh no, Leon we've got to do something.”
 
“Yeah, but what can we do” Leon said
 
“You get inside and try to lead Mrs. Fischer out here. I'll keep an eye on her.”
 
So Lucy dashed for the orange tree while Leon scampered up to the back door's pet flap. “Oh that's right, I'll never get through here by myself. It's too heavy. But it'll take too long to if I have to climb up to Nicolai's bedroom and back down here.”
 
Leon then looked at the door again and saw it was opened a crack. “Perfect, I should be able to get through.” So Leon squeezed with all his might and with a pop, made his way inside.
 
Lucy had climbed half way up the tree with Vinola catching up fast. Inside the house looked but didn't see Heather anywhere, and then his sensitive hearing could detect a soft pitched humming sound.
 
He quickly scampered through the kitchen and into the den where he saw Heather sitting at a small writing desk. She was humming a tune as she wrote some things down on her notepad.
 
She suddenly stopped what she was doing when she heard a whistling sound coming from the kitchen. “Oh that must be my kettle whistling, I can't wait to have the first sip of morning tea.”
 
As Heather left for the kitchen she didn't notice Leon as he scampered up the chair leg and hopped from the seat onto the writing desk. “Not what could I take that she'll need bad enough that she'll follow me?”
 
He looked around the desk and noticed a pencil with no eraser tip and a small pink and square eraser. “That's perfect. She'll need her eraser to correct her mistakes.” He quickly retrieved it, hopped from the table to the chair seat, and slid back down the chair leg.
 
By this time Heather returned and instantly noticed her eraser was missing. “Oh great, what did I do with the eraser? I'm sure I left it here,” she said and placed her cup of tea on the desk.
 
Leon then took this opportunity and hopped onto Heather's foot. Heather let out a loud shriek. “What's on my foot, what's on my foot!” she screamed. Leon quickly flew from her foot and plopped onto the floor.
 
“Leon, what are you doing out of your cage?” Heather said noticing him. Leon then quickly ran off. “Hey get back here with my eraser!” Leon raced into the kitchen with Heather following close behind.
 
Leon quickly squeezed through the open door with Heather quickly opening it. “Get back here Leon, and give back that eraser!” That's when Heather noticed Vinola up the tree. Vinola was reaching out to grab the biggest orange she saw.
 
“Vinola!” Quickly forgetting about the eraser, Heather raced over to the tree. Vinola then grabbed the orange, but when she picked it she lost her grip and started to fall, Lucy then bit on the sleeve of her shirt to keep her afloat.
 
But she couldn't keep her grip and Vinola started to fall. “Don't worry Vinola, I'll catch you!” Heather then dove in under the tree and caught Vinola just in time. “Oh, are you all right Vinola?”
 
“Yeah, I think so Mom.”
 
“What were you doing up there?”
 
“Well I was riding my scooter and I got hungry, I was going to come in for a snack than I saw the orange tree and wanted one.”
 
“How many times have your Father and I told you that if you're going to climb trees you need to have me, Dad, or Nicolai to look out for you. As well as the protective gear you wear for riding your scooter.”
 
“I'm sorry Mom, am I in trouble?” asked Vinola
 
“Well not this time, I'm just glad I made it in time. Just be more careful, why don't you bring your snack inside?” Lucy quickly came down the tree to see if Vinola was all right.
 
“Is she all right?” Lucy asked. Heather looked at her cat as if she was hearing things. Lucy carefully looked at Vinola to see she wasn't scratched. “Oh good, I'm so glad you're not hurt.”
 
“…Lucy?” Heather stuttered in surprise. “Yeah, I'm just fine Lucy. But since when do you talk?” Lucy then realized that in all the excitement, that what she had just done was what Edgar had before her. Just then the doorbell rang.
 
“Oh the door, that might be my boss. Bring your orange, and come into the kitchen I'll help you peel it after I get the door.” Heather quickly raced inside, with Vinola quite a ways behind.
 
Lucy still shocked and amazed at what happened just returned to the shady tree and lay there without saying a word. Heather quickly opened the door to find no one there.
“Hello? Honestly, these kids and their jokes.” she said on edge as she headed back inside.
 
“Wait, I'm down here!” Heather turned around then looked down to see Harold before her. “Good morning madam. Are you, Mrs. Heather Fischer?” he asked.
 
“Oh my, another one?” and with that she fainted. "I guess I should've expected this, the badge was shinning immensely when I got to this street. Heather later awoke to see herself lying on the living room couch still feeling a little confused.
 
“What just happened?” she asked herself. “You fainted at the sight of me,” Harold came into the living room with a tea tray she was preparing earlier. He placed it on the coffee table and poured them each a cup.
 
“Luckily you got up still confused, and fell right on the couch.” “I'm not surprised, I feel like I'm going crazy.” “I can understand that, Mrs. Fischer. But I promise you all can be explained.”
 
“Where's Vinola?” Heather asked. “She's in the kitchen, finishing her orange. It's a good thing Leon led you out to the tree before she fell.” Harold said
 
“You got that right, wait a minute. How did you know that?”
 
“Your daughter told me but I knew before I got here. You might want to take that cup of tea there, this could take some time to explain.”