Fan Fiction ❯ MGS: DOA ❯ Chapter 7

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

_________________________________________________________________ ______
CHAPTER 7
Christie let the wind blow through her hair as the clouds sped by in the dark. Pulling her head back in, she stood and moved to the chopper's cockpit. “Hey in there, you'd better go silent.” The co-pilot was still looking at some instruments. “We're still twenty miles from the target Miss, I don't think we need to…” He stopped as he turned around. She didn't say it again, she just stared at him. “Um, I mean, better safe than sorry, right?” He nervously tried to laugh, then turned back to the front to set the controls. “Thank you.” Christie spat, then she went back to her seat. Muttering something about amateurs, she held up a small radio and ordered the other gunships to do likewise. The loud chopping became replaced by a relatively quiet whirring.
After a moment of thought, she adjusted the radio and spoke into it again, asking for “Bravo team.” “This is Bravo leader, I read.” “Tell me that you're done,” Christie coolly ordered. “Mission completed. I repeat, the mission was a success.” My God, she thought, they actually did something right. “You have her in custody then?” “Yes, M'am, although he managed to take out over half the team before… did you say `her'?” For a moment, Christie considered screaming. “Dammit, of course I said `her', were you successful or not?” “Um, just a moment, sir.” She heard the rustling of paper on the other end, then a faint curse. “Sir, we, uh… well… it would appear that we have the wrong target in custody.” Now she was getting frustrated, “Wrong target? How many god-forsaken ninja did you find? Wait, never mind. Just send me the bloody report.” She switched off her radio in disgust. “I knew I should have gone myself. I hate bureaucrats.” `Forget it,' she thought to herself, `finish your job, clean up their mess later.' She looked out the side of the craft again, wondering if it was all worth it.
 
Snake sat back after explaining himself, silently thanking Mei Ling for the translator. Hayate remained silent for several minutes. Partially, he needed to think, but he also liked seeing Snake sweat a little. “I have one question for you Snake-san. Why do you care for the activities of DOATEC? You have said you are not working for your government or even a rival corporation.” Snake kept up his poker face, “I have a personal interest in those DOATEC is doing business with. That is enough.” Hayate smiled, “Very well, that is your own business.” He then went back to his serious demeanor. “But I'm afraid you've made a mistake. Only one of those names on your list mattered, and it will soon no longer exist. As Helena-san and Bayman-san have no doubt already told you, we have all been members in a tournament funded by DOATEC. I believe that explains the reference you found to us.” Snake wasn't buying it, “Which name did you mean when you said it will soon no longer exist?” Hayate was determined to show no emotion as he replied. “The first name, Kasumi, belongs to one marked for death. We have our own sources of information in DOATEC. When they discovered her location, we did as well. The one dispatched to deal with her should have found her by now.” Helena shifted uncomfortably and Hayate snapped his head to her. “You will remain still.” She glared at him for his abruptness. “You have nothing to fear from me, Hayate. My opinions on DOATEC are quite similar to yours now. `The enemy of my enemy is my friend', wouldn't you agree?” Hayate loosened his gaze, but did not relax, “If one's enemy has given you a friend, how trustworthy can that friend possibly be?” Bayman mocked clearing his throat. “Well, ninja? What do you think about all this? If it does not concern you than we will be on our way.” Hayate sat back, turning again to Snake. “You three will remain here tonight as guests. I will answer you in the morning.” Just as he was about to stand, there was some shouting outside. Kage gripped the hilt of his sword, but remained behind Hayate and. The shouting escalated. Suddenly the guard came flying, literally, through the door and in marched a young, purple haired girl. As she passed the guard still lying on the floor, she kicked him muttering “Baka”. Kage relaxed as Hayate stood up. “Ayane!” He spoke harshly, “I said I was not to be disturbed!” Ayane sighed, then dropped to one knee in a bow. “I have urgent news that could not wait. Apparently your post doubted my judgement.” “Apparently,” Hayate cut in, “you doubt mine!” He then returned to his seat. “Now then, what is so important that you would act such?” She glanced at the three in audience. “Ignore them.” Hayate ordered. “Hayate-sama, they know that we're here.” Hayate's eyes narrowed. “And…?” Ayane looked up at him, “They're coming.”
Snake was a bit confused, “Who's coming?” Ayane shot him a glare, silently daring him to interrupt again. Hayate ignored it, “How long?” Ayane forced herself to focus on Hayate and answer the question, “They will be here within the hour, but I'm sure we have enough time before-” At that moment there was an explosion somewhere in the cave, the thundering noise amplified by the cavern walls. “What the Hell?” Bayman spat out. Even as he said it, Snake was on his feet and at the door before anyone else could turn around. Throwing it open, he saw a plume of smoke rising from the entrance to the cavern and watched as the opening became buried in rubble. Cursing, he rounded on Hayate, “Is there another way out of here?” Hayate, who had just reached the door, motioned his head to the ceiling, where several holes had previously let in sunlight. “If you're thinking of running, you'll have to go through them.” Snake was about to ask who, but then saw what Hayate did. Dozens of soldiers were dropping from the skylights on ripcords, all armed and armored to the teeth. Hayate turned back to Ayane, “I want you to wait for my signal, then sound a regroup.” Snake saw that Ayane understood something that he did not. “Hayate-san! You can't! You'll die!” He looked at her like a brother going off to war, “I must, and you will do as I say.” He strode over to the wall and removed Ayane's weapon from its mantle. “Here, you may keep it until I see you again, then you may have another chance to prove to me that you are worthy of it.” Before the stunned girl could answer, he placed it in her hand. Motioning to Snake and the others, “See that they make it out of here.” He brushed her cheek, then dashed out the door. Helena was nervously looking back and forth between the door and Ayane. Gripping the weapon, Ayane looked up at them. “If you fall behind, you will die. Understood? This way.” She led them outside where a full scale battle had erupted.
“Damnit!” Christie yelled at the commander, “Tell them to get to the ground as fast a possible and stop trying to shoot from the ropes! They're sitting ducks up there!” Even as she spoke, bodies were falling from the ceiling with tiny metal stars imbedded in their chests. “Just keep them busy!” She ducked into an alleyway and started making her way to the rear of the cavern. Only stopping once or twice to hide or quickly snap a neck, she came closer and closer to her target. Just as the building came into site, Hayate came running out of it. “There you are.” She hissed, chasing after him. Almost losing him several times, she pursued him to a small structure against the cave wall. As he disappeared inside, she stopped to hide around a corner. Glancing once more, she saw that there were no windows or other doors. Smiling, she approached the hut, “Gotcha.” When she reached the door, she kicked it open and tumbled in, rolling into her serpent stance… and nearly off a ledge. “What the…?” The room opened up into a ravine, seemingly bottomless. She looked along the edge to her left and saw Hayate, who had obviously heard her enter. “Hayate-san, you are to come with me.” She didn't believe for a second that he'd simply surrender, and he knew it. “I don't have time for you. If you are going to attack me, do it now. If not, leave.” She smiled again and slowly advanced on him, the sounds of the battle outside getting ever closer. Hayate made a motion with his hands, (either a salute or a quick prayer, Christie wasn't sure), then readied himself. After sizing each other up, it was clear he would not strike first. `Your loss,' Christie thought. She launched into a flurry of blows, like lightning, she struck again and again. Hayate took the defensive, blocking her strikes and sidestepping her jabs. As she pushed him further along the ledge, she failed to notice the small box in the stone alcove…
Ayane soon found that she did not need to baby-sit her companions. Time after time, a soldier would drop from the ceiling or burst around a corner. Each time they were either snapped by Snake, broken by Bayman or beaten down by Helena. Ayane had her fair share to deal with as well. Eventually, they reached a bamboo scaffolding which stretched up the wall. Snake and Bayman held off enemies at the base of the ladder as Ayane led Helena up to the top. Once they reached the first tier, the men dispatched the last soldier in the clearing and ascended as well. On the platform, there was a huge gong in a stone alcove. Ayane had stopped and was surveying the battle. “Well?” Snake asked, “Now where?” Ayane did not turn to face him, “We wait here for the signal.” Snake moved in front of her, between her and the edge. “You can wait, we're leaving, now where's the exit?” If not for Hayate's orders, she probably would have pushed him off then and there. Finally giving up, Snake started to look around. Helena pulled him aside. “Snake, she and Hayate are who DOATEC are after. If we leave her here we might as well not have come.” Frustrated, Snake just decided to watch for this signal. Moving to Ayane's side, he scanned the cavern. “As soon as you get this signal, just do what you have to then get us out of here.”
Despite the welting bruise across her face, Christie was still smiling. She hadn't enjoyed herself this much since the tournament. Hayate was not without his own injuries, but was not slowing down either. She launched herself at him again, but made the mistake of repeating a prior attack, Hayate caught her leg and pulled it aside, striking out with his own. As his foot slammed into her head, she stumbled over the edge. He quickly glanced down after her. She had landed on a lower edge. Getting up, she began to brush herself off. She glared up at him, standing some 40 feet above. He nodded, satisfied. “We will finish this when you reach me again.” With that, he turned back to the box, but a nearby explosion rocked the room. Christie had just begun her climb back up and was thrown from the wall, plunging into the darkness. Hayate looked down the ravine once more. He stood straight and offered a ceremonial bow, then returned to his work. Lifting the small box from its resting place revealed five tiny tunnels in the rock, all with trails of black powder running from them. Opening the box, he removed a match and lit the first trail. As the fuse sped into the wall, he removed a pouch and poured more powder into the alcove, effectively connecting the remaining four trails. He lit another match then hesitated for a moment, silently counting. He then dropped the match, lighting the fuse…
Snake was getting nervous, the Mugen Tenshin seemed to be holding their own pretty well, but if any one noticed them up in the scaffolding, they were in for trouble. Suddenly, the cavern was lit up as bright as day as fireworks streaked across the ceiling. While Snake covered his eyes against the light, Ayane dashed to the gong. Bayman thought it odd that there was no hammer. “Would you like me to spit at it?”, he said, clearly annoyed. Ayane just ignored him, took a deep breath, and snap-kicked the gong three times. Everyone on the platform had to cover their ears to block out the noise. After the gong had toned down, Ayane yelled to the others, “Get out of the way!” She motioned them aside, then pulled on the gong. As it slid along the well disguised tracks in the floor, she heaved it over the side. Before anyone could ask what she was doing, she grabbed them and pushed them into the newly revealed cavern. Snake tried to bring up the rear, but Ayane just shoved him ahead telling him in no uncertain terms to just run. As the four bolted along the cavern, Ayane grabbed a rock and scraped it along the wall, lighting a trail of powder. They turned a corner and had barely caught site of the entrance when there was a ground shaking explosion. Snake was knocked to the ground but Bayman and Ayane grabbed him up and shoved him back to his feet. Helena reached the entrance first. Pushing the moss curtain out of the way, she stopped to wait for the others. Ayane saw her and yelled to keep going. After tearing from the cave entrance, they made their way to the top of a hill before Ayane let them stop. More explosions were shaking the ground, and Ayane solemnly looked back the way they came. Snake was the only other person on his feet, as Bayman and Helena had sat on some rocks. As he watched, he saw a tear fall from her eye. Not sure what else to do, he simply followed her gaze. The once sporadic explosions were coming faster now, and as Snake watched, an entire section of the forest began to shudder and sink. With a final, terrible blast, acres of forest plummeted into a gaping, fiery crater.